Author Topic: [IC] MAJA (Majapahit) (Group Buy Started, Moving to Group Buy Thread)  (Read 198473 times)

Offline CommunistPie

Re: [IC] MAJA (Majapahit) Ergo Keyboard --- [COLOR POLLING, Please Help Me Choose]
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 02:18:57 »
Have the colours been locked in or are you still choosing??

Offline DaneOne

Re: [IC] MAJA (Majapahit) Ergo Keyboard --- [COLOR POLLING, Please Help Me Choose]
« Reply #401 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 17:41:13 »
this looks awesome Hope rosegold will be a thing

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #402 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 18:33:58 »
I will do anything for a purple option

Offline Agpatel

« Reply #403 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 18:26:34 »
Any updates on the proto or when it will go live :)

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #404 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 01:11:38 »
Estimated price? Sorry if I've asked before.

Offline johnnysstash

« Reply #405 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 21:04:44 »
filled form   
i am very interested assuming the bottom row was just the wrong layout. seeing as the plate looks as it would be the right layout? the shift over to the left one column would kill it for me.  watching closely

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 01:48:09 »
filled form   
i am very interested assuming the bottom row was just the wrong layout. seeing as the plate looks as it would be the right layout? the shift over to the left one column would kill it for me.  watching closely

which one is the wrong layout? could you point it for me?

Offline Zeelobby

Really excited for this one, hope i don't miss out.

Offline jdc122

Signed up to the site just for this GB, really want this keeb!

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
Form filled, hopefully Off white and Red are approved. Glws!

Offline DJ Clicks

Are we able to choose a different colour for the plate?

Offline deathjester

I just wish the enter key was in line with the key above it; then it could be ISO compatible.

Offline Poesjuh

Alice lay-outs never are iso compatible, not a single one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deathjester

Alice lay-outs never are iso compatible, not a single one.

That's kind of my point really, it would be nice to have one.

Offline yourfavorite

I beg of you. Please add a Windows Key option. It is a necessity for most of us Mac users.

Offline LemonsGivesLife

So excited for this Keyboard! Any chance we can get a timeline, update or the next steps?

Looking forward to having this as my first custom keyboard! :D

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
I beg of you. Please add a Windows Key option. It is a necessity for most of us Mac users.
Windows key in the usual posiyion is not possible on the Alice layout. But since the board is most likely going to run qmk you could just remap the windows key to one of the alt keys or to the split spacebar.

Offline yourfavorite

Windows key in the usual posiyion is not possible on the Alice layout. But since the board is most likely going to run qmk you could just remap the windows key to one of the alt keys or to the split spacebar.

Could absolutely add a key on the left side. 1u at least. Moving an important key for the sake of a keyboard just isn't worth it. Not worth developing habits that force me to rethink how I use a keyboard whenever I'm not on this specific keyboard.

Offline yourfavorite

Sorry for the quick hack on your beautiful work @communistpie

Did a quick hack to show ~1.25u WK on left side and a ~2u key on the right side. Don't see any reason this couldn't be an option from a tech/physical perspective. Where it becomes an issue is cost of PCB and top case I guess. Personally I'd pay a premium for this feature as losing the WK is not really an option for me (Mac users)

Offline airyimbin

Did a quick hack to show ~1.25u WK on left side and a ~2u key on the right side. Don't see any reason this couldn't be an option from a tech/physical perspective. Where it becomes an issue is cost of PCB and top case I guess. Personally I'd pay a premium for this feature as losing the WK is not really an option for me (Mac users)

Show Image

I'm a Mac user you can just reprogram one of the keys to Command. It's perfectly fine as it is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Jignoni

Show Image

I have been looking for a alice-ish board and this is my dream layout.

Offline Zeelobby

Can anyone comment on gaming or typing on an alice-like layout. Those staggered keys just look like they'd be a nightmare. Even for the wasd. Would love to get some feedback from someone whose used them for a while. I mean look wise it's the bomb-diggity.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Zeelobby

And I have to second the reprogramming the keys. Comes up in every wkl or hhkb thread. So easy to do for all these boards which support qmk, and often times people put it in an even more convenient or comfortable position then it's default.

Offline Jignoni

And I have to second the reprogramming the keys. Comes up in every wkl or hhkb thread. So easy to do for all these boards which support qmk, and often times people put it in an even more convenient or comfortable position then it's default.

Think it might be less comfortable for wasd games but you could shift one coloum to the right.
About the reprogramming, it still leaves you with less keys and for someone that uses especially the left mods alot it's enough to turn you off a board

Offline Zeelobby

Think it might be less comfortable for wasd games but you could shift one coloum to the right.
About the reprogramming, it still leaves you with less keys and for someone that uses especially the left mods alot it's enough to turn you off a board

True. Just requires retraining though. I just used to be in the same boat, but after years of alternating between them I guess I've just become an ambi-moder. It's definitely not as rough as when I trained to use an ortholinear, haha.

Offline Myteethfeelweird

Any update on this? Thought it was supposed to drop around this time?

Offline yourfavorite

Me: I don't want to remap the windows key elsewhere on the keyboard
People who don't have the same preferences as me: Just remap the windows key to a different key on the keyboard. Its not a problem for me personally so it definitely will be fine for you because my preferences are the same as everyone else.
Me: ...

Offline Zeelobby

People who don't have the same preferences as me: Just remap the windows key to a different key on the keyboard. Its not a problem for me personally so it definitely will be fine for you because my preferences are the same as everyone else.
You: Redesign your vision, and the legacy of Alice, so I don't have to learn something new.

A lot of people clearly like the design as is. You could always start an IC for a design that includes it and see how it goes? Clearly there's some interest.

Offline yourfavorite

You: Redesign your vision, and the legacy of Alice, so I don't have to learn something new.

A lot of people clearly like the design as is. You could always start an IC for a design that includes it and see how it goes? Clearly there's some interest.

The issue I have is that the request I made is possible to do with different top case options and would not affect those that prefer WKL. Many keyboards offer this. I'm well aware it is an unlikely request but every time I see people asking for a WK to be added to a layout (reasonable request) loads of people that don't care about WK chime in telling them to remap it. I believe everyone in this scene is well aware of the fact that QMK allows remapping of keys like this but we're making the request despite that because its important to us.

Additionally I didn't make the request because I don't think there's enough interest. Its a preference request and that's all. Not sure why it needs to get shot down by loads of people that aren't the creator ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Jignoni

True. Just requires retraining though. I just used to be in the same boat, but after years of alternating between them I guess I've just become an ambi-moder. It's definitely not as rough as when I trained to use an ortholinear, haha.

Then we are polar opposites otho just made sense to me and having all the mods does too :)

Offline Zeelobby

The issue I have is that the request I made is possible to do with different top case options and would not affect those that prefer WKL. Many keyboards offer this. I'm well aware it is an unlikely request but every time I see people asking for a WK to be added to a layout (reasonable request) loads of people that don't care about WK chime in telling them to remap it. I believe everyone in this scene is well aware of the fact that QMK allows remapping of keys like this but we're making the request despite that because its important to us.

Additionally I didn't make the request because I don't think there's enough interest. Its a preference request and that's all. Not sure why it needs to get shot down by loads of people that aren't the creator ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

See I think you just took it the wrong way. We weren't shooting you down. We were simply just offering a solution. One that we've experienced to work and one we've seen others learn and do OK with in order to enjoy a board they really like otherwise. I'm sorry if this is repeated to you often, I'm sure that must be frustrating. But it's a usual response just cause it's worked for many people. So sorry about that.

Offline Zeelobby

Then we are polar opposites otho just made sense to me and having all the mods does too :)

Ortho definitely makes sense to me now. It's the retraining my fingers to hit the right number keys that took time. Haha.

Offline yourfavorite

See I think you just took it the wrong way. We weren't shooting you down. We were simply just offering a solution. One that we've experienced to work and one we've seen others learn and do OK with in order to enjoy a board they really like otherwise. I'm sorry if this is repeated to you often, I'm sure that must be frustrating. But it's a usual response just cause it's worked for many people. So sorry about that.

It's all good man. It's frustrating for sure, but I get it. The scene is growing quickly and with lots of new people entering there are definitely people that don't know about it. I wrote up a longer response just now and deleted it because I realized we're getting a little far off the path for this thread. :D

Offline Zeelobby

It's all good man. It's frustrating for sure, but I get it. The scene is growing quickly and with lots of new people entering there are definitely people that don't know about it. I wrote up a longer response just now and deleted it because I realized we're getting a little far off the path for this thread. :D

Haha. All good :D

The one cool thing about more people getting involved is you may one day see an Alice with those keys specifically for those who waited. It might just take a while if every Alice board released sells out instantly in it's current form factor. Less incentive to diversify yet, unlike 60 keyboards where now you have to to stand out.

Offline mathewC

Can anyone comment on gaming or typing on an alice-like layout. Those staggered keys just look like they'd be a nightmare. Even for the wasd. Would love to get some feedback from someone whose used them for a while. I mean look wise it's the bomb-diggity.

I asked this question in this thread before and someone said they have an alice type board that they use for gaming and dont really have a problem with gaming

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Offline Zeelobby

I asked this question in this thread before and someone said they have an alice type board that they use for gaming and dont really have a problem with gaming

Thanks! I mean I know they're the latest rage recently, and they photograph extremely well. But the layout isn't ergonomically an improvement over basic boards or ergo boards. It's definitely aesthetics. Great looking aesthetics, but it's good to hear still functional.

Offline Vulcan

Hi guys, sorry for the delay.. we had to fix some issues with the PCB.. here is the update photo of the prototype..

case production will start after Chinese new year

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2020, 19:09:59 by Vulcan »

Offline Zeelobby

Ooooo.  Reserved post.

Offline Zeelobby

Re: [IC] MAJA (Majapahit) Ergo Keyboard --- [Prototype photo is up]
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 19:10:44 »
Definitely looks sexy.

Offline mathewC

« Reply #439 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 00:49:56 »
Oh god it looks so good, can you tell us the measurements? Also will the pcb be normal or hot swap?

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #440 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 01:05:11 »
Any news about the colors?
Since the color polling form is gone I guess the choice has been made on what colors will be available.

Btw. great proto pics! :)

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #441 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 03:50:01 »
Lol, the placement of N-? and FN on that board is dumb :P Lots of typo's incoming.

Any chance the tolerances are changing? Looking at the top down picture the gaps around the caps seem to be fairly large.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #442 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 06:58:37 »
Lol, the placement of N-? and FN on that board is dumb :P Lots of typo's incoming.

Any chance the tolerances are changing? Looking at the top down picture the gaps around the caps seem to be fairly large.

It's programmable. I'd probably switch that Fn to the other side after the V, and move the B over. On a normal board the B is closer to the right index anyway. Typing on this thing is always going to be an adjustment though.

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] MAJA (Majapahit) Ergo Keyboard --- [Prototype photo is up]
« Reply #443 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 07:24:42 »
On a normal keyboard the B is smack down in the middle. What I mean is that nm.,,? are 1u to the right normally. Kbd just put the caps on incorrect. We all use the extra B spot differently (most people would probably make it an extra B) but keep the bottom right alpha’s where they should be :)

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #444 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 07:30:09 »

Lol! Yea i notice that also.. kbdfans is not familiar with this layout... the right one is like the render

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #445 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 07:53:48 »
On a normal keyboard the B is smack down in the middle. What I mean is that nm.,,? are 1u to the right normally. Kbd just put the caps on incorrect. We all use the extra B spot differently (most people would probably make it an extra B) but keep the bottom right alpha’s where they should be :)

True. I guess I feel It's odd that people place double B's. I know few touch typists that alternate fingers for B. Most usually have a favorite. But maybe my limited pool doesn't reflect reality.

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2020, 08:06:29 by Zeelobby »

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #446 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 11:28:19 »
Really interested in this one.. i did not even know there was a interest check.
Someone on discord directed me to this page.. i was looking on the kbdfans "New arrival" section and read the comment from kbd that this was coming next month.

My first impression seeing it. was it looks like my 65% boards , but with a nice curve.. so like my tada68, or DZ65RGB or NK65.
Having read one page of the comments (going to read all of it later).. The layout now looks strange.. could you please explain @vulcan
Take for example the letter j on one of my 65% the right bottom corner key is the M. And the right bottom key of the H is N.
So in short it looks like the bottom row should move one key to the right.. Am i missing something please correct me.. Oh wait i see whats going on.. the fn key can move to the left then it all looks fine.. missed that one .. but diffrent render shows this..

Sorry for the long write up..
To finish the first thing that i also noticed was the missing key on the right , i somehow expected 4 keys instead of 3..
But if i'm being 100% honest i would not mind an extra key to the left of the arrow cluster.. that would be a nice key for fn.
Reason why i would put it there. was that i can use it to add a second function to the arrow cluster like page down/up and extra function to that top right key. i like to put tilde ~ and carrot ` there... if i put the fn key where the n is now where it belongs to have correct layout it would be to far to use one handed.. hope you understand what i mean..if not just ask i will be keeping my eyes on this board. but perhaps i'm too late..

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #447 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 11:30:37 »
ps i don't care about the size of that key..that i mentioned above. what ever looks good and is compatible with most keys..
really love to hear you thought.. thanks..

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #448 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 16:59:37 »
KBDfans put the caps on incorrect.

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #449 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 04:26:43 »
KBDfans put the caps on incorrect.

Yah i came to the same conclusion .. needed to look twice to figure it out.. on first glance i did not notice it.
the fn cap would go to where the N is now.. that's my whole point it would then be to far to use on the right cluster..
therefor my suggestion for a fn key next to the right Control keycap.
this would give you the same spacer on the right as on the left .. for those symmetry geeks among us..
put that key in the same angle as the Control key.. and making it an fn 1u or 1.5u key will add even more to  the symmetry.
Almost making a mirror copy of the left to the right..  :cool: :thumb: