Author Topic: What would your dream switch/keyboard be?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline IBMPCDOS5

• I have no idea what to put here.
What would your dream switch/keyboard be?
« on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 21:22:41 »
Hai! I'm fresh to Geekhack; signed up a few minutes ago. I'm sure this is a generic question but: What would your dream switch/keyboard be? Personally, I would love a Model M, don't care if it's authentic or Unicomp, with the lightness of an MX Clear (55g) , TKL and NKRO. Open to suggestions!

Mod Edit: Edited thread title for clarity.

P.S. Welcome to Geekhack! :thumb:

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2016, 08:38:51 by infiniti »

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
Re: Wh
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 21:32:17 »
You might do well with a more descriptive thread title.  :p

As for me, Model F and Beam springs are my two favourite switches. 
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: What would your dream switch/keyboard be?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 08:54:34 »
Edited the thread title.

== == == == ==

In the start I began with a fullsize Shine II browns.  I wanted more tactility so my dream switch used to be light mx clears so I built a 60% with clears and 55g gold springs.  After some time I needed a larger form factor since using a 60% was seriously slowing me down when I was working on massive spreadsheets but I no longer wanted to use a fullsize since it gave me shoulder and neck pains.  Later I built a KMAC2 with clears and springs from mx browns (~58g); heavier than the 55g springs but I liked it.  Now I find it a bit light so I've been using an SSK when I can get away with the clicky. :)) Still pondering a lubed mx clears build with stock springs.

TL;DR: I started with mx browns but wanted more tactility so I went with 55g mx clears then ~58g clears then BS and now thinking of lubed clears with stock springs while I rotate keyboards.

Offline drevyek

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 09:21:35 »
I'm a sucker for buckling springs. Dreams, though? a lighter, damped BS switch. Something with a tap, more than a click, so that I can use it in public. I'm not saying to kill the feeling, but to just make the click of it reduced (I already floss mod my M, and did my F when I had it). For weight, I'd love to see some lighter spring/hammer assemblies floating around, just so that I could see what it'd feel like.

I've heard that there are a few other things you can do to M's to silence them. Not sure though, outside of excessive foam on top and below the plate.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 09:32:47 »
I would love for a completely silent tactile switch. I know this is impossible but imagine how nice it would be for everyone around you. I hate typing in public sometimes and turning heads.

I'm a sucker for buckling springs. Dreams, though? a lighter, damped BS switch. Something with a tap, more than a click, so that I can use it in public. I'm not saying to kill the feeling, but to just make the click of it reduced (I already floss mod my M, and did my F when I had it). For weight, I'd love to see some lighter spring/hammer assemblies floating around, just so that I could see what it'd feel like.

I've heard that there are a few other things you can do to M's to silence them. Not sure though, outside of excessive foam on top and below the plate.

We should do some experimenting! See what we find.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline benderkey

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 09:43:48 »
Definitely Model M.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 10:31:00 »
356GT w/ 62g lubed/stickered vintage blacks

nnngggghhh
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline drevyek

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 11:52:19 »
356GT w/ 62g lubed/stickered vintage blacks

nnngggghhh
Some good modern Hall effects would be sick. Infinitely smooth action? Yes please, any day of the week! I know of those chinese switches from a post on DT, but that board is uglier than sin.

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:09:31 »
1. Silenced Topre switch with MX stems in a standard ANSI-108 layout, available in both black and (off-)white cases.

The forthcoming RealForce RGB board is essentially this, but I could do without the "RGB" part. I'd rather they make me pay for silenced sliders than juvenile LED backlighting. There is also no indication that it will be available in any variant of white.

2. The same as #2 in a 60% Pok3r layout.

3. Dampened Hall Effect switch with MX stems in a standard ANSI-108 layout, available in both black and (off-)white cases.

This is theoretically possible given the new switch from China, but a pronounced lack of enthusiasm for full-size keyboards with conventional ABS cases makes this unlikely.

4. The same as #3 in a 60% Pok3r layout and with the ability to set the position of the FN key with DIP switches.

This is also theoretically possible, but it would require a vendor willing to abandon waterproofing in exchange for DIP switches.