Author Topic: Question regarding model M's  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Jaz

Question regarding model M's
« on: Mon, 14 February 2011, 19:55:04 »
Hello all,

I have a chance to purchase several of these, late 80's,  units that look to be in great shape.  

Is there a huge difference between the units manufactured in the U.S. vs. Mexico?

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 15:27:34 »
Quote from: Jaz;295151
Is there a huge difference between the units manufactured in the U.S. vs. Mexico?

The almighty IBM wiki states this about Mexican Ms:
These keyboards were largely intended for the Latin American market, although there were also some French Canadian ones, and ones for the US market. [...] Unlike the Greenock ones, they appear to have no defining characteristics or differences from the IBM US/Lexmark Model Ms.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 17:21:17 »
lol ... get one off ebay that is refurbished and you will be pleased.
I <3 BS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 17:43:18 »
IBM's plant in Guadalajara was a partial assembly facility - they didn't actually make as much of the stuff as other places, they just all the piece together (and thus all the gritty low-skilled work could be done by the locals who were paid next to nothing). It's likely that the same was true with keyboards.

As far as I know, Lexmark took control of production in Mexico at a later point in time.

Offline Jaz

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 18:04:04 »
Thank you for the replies.  That's what I was worried aobut.  I'm still awaiting a reply from the person I was supposed to be getting these from.

I've seen several that are refurbs on EBay and have thought about getting one of those.  

I've also considered just saying to heck with it and  purchasing one from Unicomp.  

I learned to type on a combination of an old manual typewriter.  The ones with no bottom into them.  In fact you could peer between the keys and see the desk under it. lol  during that same time I was fortunate enough to have the IBm Selectrics in my typing class.  

Unfortunately I may have jumped the gun and I ordered an RF 103UB.  I know it's quite the contrast between it and an "M" but it ought to help keep the peace while my girlfriend is sleeping.  

Had I taken more time to research, before placing the order, I would have learned that Unicomp had taken over from Lexmark.

Anything wil be better than my Logitech Illuminated that I'm using now.  I've cursed this keyboard ever since I bought it for various reasons.  For me it was the best of the worse that was available at that time.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 23:28:22 »
Actually, I find the Topre keys the easiest to transition to from a Model M. No idea why, but those are the two I use the most often. Them and ALPS are the only ones I find even remotely comfortable, though.

Anyway, I think you'll be pleased with the realforce. It's not silent unless you type slowly, but it sure sounds purty.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball