Author Topic: Anyone know about Roller Mouse pro?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Anyone know about Roller Mouse pro?
« on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 02:31:17 »
It's been a while since these guys came out with mSRP $200++. I notice you can get them on ebay for under USD 80. But since they take up plenty of desktop space, not to mention have buttons that you may accidentally click while typing, I'm not a buyer yet.

Can anyone share your experience?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
Re: Anyone know about Roller Mouse pro?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:44:51 »
I have couple of them, bought, collected, etc. So comfortable to have one of these. I have felt somewhat stressed out when I am using mouse/trackball, whereas with rollermouse it kind of feels relaxed. Construction of the newer ones are somewhat better and has a wider slider window.

Regarding the button press thing, if you buy new/with all accessories, these come with some felt/rubber pads that you can adjust to have the keyboard space bar slightly above the roller, so you dont have accidental clicking. Of course the click buttons are super soft due to the roller weight. May need some muscle memory tuning. See, the main advantage is you can keep your palms at any position and still you can roll/slide the roller.

One caveat may be, the horizontal slide is plenty for a large monitor, but if you are using dual setup/high res monitors, then the horizontal end-to-end travel will be somewhat limited.

You can order the laptop version that is little larger than a TKL board, this would solve the desktop space issue. There is another roll mouse like thingy made by another company, that may be a option. Cant remember what is the brand,, but I saw in EBay, cheaper than rollermouse. Have no more info.

Thats it.
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:47:01 »
Mousetrapper is similar, but I think they are even more expensive than Rollermouse new. Not sure what the used ones go for. I am really interested in trying something like this at work, but can't get past the price without actually trying it first, even if work will pay for it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:55:30 »
I have one, and there are quite a few issues:
  • It gets dirty easily. Not only the wrist rest, but the stick itself as well. It's a pain in the ass to clean.
  • If you have more displays, you'll probably hit the corners a lot. Also, the stick jitters a bit when you stop moving it or try to click with it, which is annoying in case of high dpi / small fonts.
  • It's quite high and the keyboard has to rest on it. This might mess with your posture. You may run into some issues if you use a compact keyboard and low-sensitivity right-handed mouse too.
Great device otherwise.