Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 220508 times)

Offline iri

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #900 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 10:57:42 »
Sounds like a good day JP. shame about the evening but at least you had a fast bike to make your getaway when things got bad.

I switched to my gravel bike which is better suited to the urban streets filled with glass and doesn't look too fancy yet is still plenty fast. My helmet and cycling eye-wear also gave me like +10 riot resistance.
But lycra, what about lycra?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #901 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 11:10:28 »
Needed some new mudguards since I couldn't find any with my front wheel/fork compatibility and just had a clip on one for rear.
Byker recommended the SKS Raceblade Pro XL and they are slick :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #902 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 13:53:29 »
Needed some new mudguards since I couldn't find any with my front wheel/fork compatibility and just had a clip on one for rear.
Byker recommended the SKS Raceblade Pro XL and they are slick :cool:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Have these same ones for a couple of years and they're super nice! So easy to remove on those sunny days when you know you don't need'em and just as easy to put back on in the morning before work when you know it'll rain. Other mudguards may offer more "dry zone coverage" but rarely they are this slick indeed!
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline tentboy

« Reply #903 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 16:40:22 »
Just found this thread.  I ran club track in college but am hanging up the shoes for a bit due to injury frustrations.  Been riding a lot more the last few months and started getting into some more meaty workouts the last few weeks after building up some base miles on the bike.  Really excited for things to open back up, I wanna try to get my feet wet in bike racing with some local crits.

My new wheels came in yesterday.  I'll try to put them on this week and get a good photo

Offline MMKB

« Reply #904 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 18:09:26 »
Just found this thread.  I ran club track in college but am hanging up the shoes for a bit due to injury frustrations.  Been riding a lot more the last few months and started getting into some more meaty workouts the last few weeks after building up some base miles on the bike.  Really excited for things to open back up, I wanna try to get my feet wet in bike racing with some local crits.

My new wheels came in yesterday.  I'll try to put them on this week and get a good photo

:thumb: Keyboards and bikes have a lot in common, like being both practical and customizable

Offline MMKB

« Reply #905 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 18:29:09 »
Been riding this one since late 2018. Super fun XC hardtail at 8.95 kg with pedals, 29x2.25 tires and a dropper post

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #906 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 18:36:06 »
Keyboards and bikes have a lot in common, like being both practical and customizable
And both are an expensive nightmare to customise right as a newbie who doesn't know what they like (fitted my sixth set of handlebars in 18 months of riding today )

Been riding this one since late 2018. Super fun XC hardtail at 8.95 kg with pedals, 29x2.25 tires and a dropper post
Looks good, at that weight I guess it's carbon?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #907 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 23:09:04 »
And both are an expensive nightmare to customise right as a newbie who doesn't know what they like (fitted my sixth set of handlebars in 18 months of riding today
Show Image
)

Oh yeah, this hobby can be more expensive than keyboards depending how deep you get into the hobby. That's a lot of handlebars! Buying the right stuff is so tricky as a beginner or even experienced amateur. If you start off with the wrong bike frame (wrong size, wrong geometry) you are even more screwed. I've been through different handlebars, seat posts, 3 different pairs of shoes (ordered the wrong size twice  :-[), and tried like 5-6 different saddles. Fortunately bike stuff is very resellable in many cases so I've been able to break even or make money in some cases selling off the parts that didn't work out for me. It's awesome once you find what works or what you like.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline jamster

« Reply #908 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 03:44:33 »

Dropper posts are just amazing for trails that get steep. Is that one remote activated? I can't see the cable routing.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #909 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 04:24:36 »
That's a lot of handlebars!
Stock drops, like stock but narrower, Soma Condor (really shallow narrow drops with no tops), bullhorns, Surly Moloko (got Nuvinci hub, need 22.2mm) and yesterday Soma Gator wide 22.2mm drops. Left headlight charging at work so not tested properly but hopefull I'm done.

If you start off with the wrong bike frame (wrong size, wrong geometry) you are even more screwed.
How do you even find this out, literally buy another bike?  Can't exactly swap all the bits quick enough to remember how it felt...

I've been through ... seat posts ... 5-6 saddles
I borrowed lots of bendy Selle SMPs and after a week or so on each landed up with a cheap one.  No regrets a year on.  It is right back on the rails so I think an offset post would allow more rail flex/comfort but not rushing to swap the post.

3 different pairs of shoes (ordered the wrong size twice  :-[)
I've bought shoes local so I could try them on, first pair were cheap and broke (not sure if I wanted to go 'clipless' - for anyone wondering it's great) second are non-existant protection wise so were put away for winter (should get them out now! or not - it's raining for the first time in weeks) and third are waterproof winter boots.  Probably the only area I've been efficient money wise.

Fortunately bike stuff is very resellable in many cases so I've been able to break even or make money in some cases selling off the parts that didn't work out for me. It's awesome once you find what works or what you like.
Hopefully you'ri right.  I've still got expensive mudguards (fenders) in a box as they don't fit forks or stays. need to take a grinder to them.  Also need to build a front wheel (the rim is currently a rear - wasted spokes and hub purchase) but can't decide dynamo or not and considering a different fork (carbon or steel would be nicer than the stock alu) so axle is also undecided.  I'm thinking rather than spending this time :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 05:37:26 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #910 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:08:08 »
I also need to find a replacement saddle for my Brooks.

And somehow get rid of the Campagnolo rear wheel I don't use any more.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline JP

« Reply #911 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:16:51 »
How do you even find this out, literally buy another bike?  Can't exactly swap all the bits quick enough to remember how it felt...

This usually isn't too big an issue if you at least get somewhat close to the correct sized bike. The trouble with bike geometry happens more with roadies who buy road bikes with an aggressive geometry like I did. A lot of these bikes put you in a racer’s position with a long reach and short stack (aggressive) which for me is actually the worst bike frame based on my proportions (long legs / short torso) coupled with a lack of flexibility and muscle imbalances. I've made it work but I would have saved a lot of headache with an endurance bike which will be comfortable for long, all-day rides (endurance/relaxed) thanks to a short reach and high stack.

One way to determine this would be to work with a bike fitter and have a bike fit done on your current bike.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:18:25 by JP »

Offline tentboy

« Reply #912 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:08:30 »
Speaking of fit... I am pretty tall around 6'3".  When I was in the market for a "new" bike I first looked at used bikes on craigslist/DC bike marketplaces.

SO MANY NICE BIKES FOR GREAT PRICES.  all of them too small for me  :(

Ended up getting a good deal on a last years model cannondale in the end from a LBS, but if I were a few inches shorter I'd have orders of magnitude more choices in the used bike market

Offline MMKB

« Reply #913 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 16:29:14 »

Dropper posts are just amazing for trails that get steep. Is that one remote activated? I can't see the cable routing.

It has a remote on the left side of the handlebar and the cable is routed from the BB to the headtube inside the frame. New frames these days tend to route cables internally.

SO MANY NICE BIKES FOR GREAT PRICES.  all of them too small for me  :(

Have you tried Pinkbike? I bought and sold a lot of stuff there. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Looks good, at that weight I guess it's carbon?

Some of it yes. Cranks, saddle, stem, fork are alloy

Offline typo

« Reply #914 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:43:16 »
In my garage just sitting there. There is such a good original Colnago/campagnolo road bike setup. I got it in the early 80's. Back then 6 grand for a bike was insane. Now Treks are 25 grand.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #915 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 03:09:14 »
In my garage just sitting there. There is such a good original Colnago/campagnolo road bike setup. I got it in the early 80's. Back then 6 grand for a bike was insane. Now Treks are 25 grand.

When a bike costs that much, are you really getting them gains if you're not a semi-professional/professional? Like giving a top-tier gaming PC to your grandparents so they can read the news online. Be content with what you have because after a certain point there's not really a reason to have the best. The ride and them feels of the journey is what matters. Of course, I'm not saying stick with an old rusty one but I think y'all get what I'm trying to say.

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline iri

« Reply #916 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 04:40:05 »
You want a good bike, you buy a good bike.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline typo

« Reply #917 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 05:40:41 »
No. I road that bike about 20,000 miles. I did ride competitively. Ironman and stuff. I used to be very serious about fitness. I won money and prizes. So it was more of an investment. Plus if you are going to put on that many miles, you would hopefully be able to obtain serious equipment. The $25K Treks today I do not quite understand. I guess they are an upper bracket brand now or something. Ernesto Colnago is long gone. Those just have his name now. I hear they are nowhere near the quality of the ones he hand made. As far as Groupos, I guess Shimano is the best now. People for the most part do not even mess with sew up tires anymore. Things have changed. I honestly used to be able to ride that bike 50 miles per hour on flat ground. I knew Greg Lemond. So I took it seriously. I think it was justified. It is not like I road around the block on weekends.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #918 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 06:22:19 »
No. I road that bike about 20,000 miles. I did ride competitively. Ironman and stuff. I used to be very serious about fitness. I won money and prizes. So it was more of an investment. Plus if you are going to put on that many miles, you would hopefully be able to obtain serious equipment. The $25K Treks today I do not quite understand. I guess they are an upper bracket brand now or something. Ernesto Colnago is long gone. Those just have his name now. I hear they are nowhere near the quality of the ones he hand made. As far as Groupos, I guess Shimano is the best now. People for the most part do not even mess with sew up tires anymore. Things have changed. I honestly used to be able to ride that bike 50 miles per hour on flat ground. I knew Greg Lemond. So I took it seriously. I think it was justified. It is not like I road around the block on weekends.

I'm sorry if you understood it personally, it was meant more about an "everyday Joe" in general. If you have done it competitively, got podium places and put the miles on it then it's fine, of course. It's also fine if you can afford and WANT one. Just some people that have monies go for full carbon, low weight, Di2 groupsets etc. to show off at group rides to their buddies and I feel that they're missing the point. People are driven by outer factors and are sometimes more into the bling and less into the activity itself.

I do apologize and didn't want to come off as aggressive or judge you personally.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #919 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 06:50:46 »
Just some people that have monies go for full carbon, low weight, Di2 groupsets etc. to show off at group rides to their buddies and I feel that they're missing the point. People are driven by outer factors and are sometimes more into the bling and less into the activity itself.
I'm always confused by the people who buy the lightest, most aero, bike they can afford to 'get fit'.  They'd get fitter quicker if they had a heavier bike (more effort for less miles) and they'd have money to spend in the extra time too!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #920 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 13:03:06 »

I was immediately faster on my new bike compared with my first entry level road bike. I also do a lot of training on my 30lb / 13kg gravel bike with aggressive tires that slow me down. I am still pretty quick on that bike but my road bike is a rocket ship. It accelerates so fast. It is just fun to ride a cool bike and extra speed and ease of hill climbing is a nice bonus. If I just had a Wal-mart bike I wouldn't be that motivated to ride it. Once you get past the mid-range $2-4k bikes and up to super bike territory ($10k+) the gains are very marginal if any for us amateurs. Also the fancy lighter components sometimes won't hold up to the test of time but you can build a bicycle to whatever specification for any type of rider, you just won't be able to build something is ultra-light, ultra durable / reliable, AND cheap! The classic engineering triangle. Also as far as groupsets, Shimano and SRAM are the most popular. Most of what Shimano offers is high quality and just works, although a number of people have had issues with their lightweight Hallow-tech cranksets failing. SRAM has good stuff too and they are much much faster at innovating and bringing products to market.

Also 50 mph...I hope you meant 50 kph on the flats  :) which is still very very fast. If 50 mph that would be super dope  ;D

Consider the max power effort for veteran sprinter André Greipel (Lotto-Soudal), as he raced to victory on stage six of the Tour Down Under, beating home favourite Caleb Ewan (Mitchelton-Scott). The German hit an incredible 1903w as he reached a peak speed of 76.8kmh averaging in 1,326w in the entire sprint. That is 47 mph!!!

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/data-reveals-the-most-powerful-sprints-of-2018-and-the-numbers-are-pretty-mind-blowing-359140

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 13:07:40 by JP »

Offline walie

« Reply #921 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 13:07:44 »
Just some people that have monies go for full carbon, low weight, Di2 groupsets etc. to show off at group rides to their buddies and I feel that they're missing the point. People are driven by outer factors and are sometimes more into the bling and less into the activity itself.
I'm always confused by the people who buy the lightest, most aero, bike they can afford to 'get fit'.  They'd get fitter quicker if they had a heavier bike (more effort for less miles) and they'd have money to spend in the extra time too!

I have a story about two dudes who got new bikes to get fit. One dude bought a fancy pants super light, aero bike, the other got a cheaper, heavier bike with the idea that the crap bike results in him getting a better workout. Turns out that dude who got the fancy bike rode all the time because the riding experience of the fancy bike was wonderful, while the other dude barely rode his bike because it was a piece of **** to ride and he hated it.

Guess who got fitter?

Offline walie

« Reply #922 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 13:10:39 »

Unless you were drafting behind a truck or was an elite pro in Europe, I call BS on the 50 mph claim.

Offline tentboy

« Reply #923 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 13:17:02 »
got my new wheels put on  :)
Cannondale CAAD optimo w/ pro-lite bracciano A42Ws

my old 1984 trek that got me into cycling, used to use this for workouts and such but it’s been relegated to my grocery getter and city cruiser
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 17:03:35 by tentboy »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #924 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 19:48:45 »
I have a story about two dudes who got new bikes to get fit. One dude bought a fancy pants super light, aero bike, the other got a cheaper, heavier bike with the idea that the crap bike results in him getting a better workout. Turns out that dude who got the fancy bike rode all the time because the riding experience of the fancy bike was wonderful, while the other dude barely rode his bike because it was a piece of **** to ride and he hated it.

Guess who got fitter?

It sounds like the bike is to blame but unless you get lucky and pick a way of exercising you enjoy (sounds like aero guy did) you have to put in time doing something you don't enjoy to get the results.  At the end of the day cheap guy just didn't want it enough and that's why he failed, whatever was '****' about the bike could have been fixed (assuming it wasn't really poorly fitting or totally inappropriate for the intended use) with plenty of change from super light aero budget.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #925 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 19:55:51 »
Show Image

my old 1984 trek that got me into cycling, used to use this for workouts and such but it’s been relegated to my grocery getter and city cruiser
Show Image

That shifter looks like a scary intro to cycling!

Really confused by your new wheels - 19mm rims with tiny tyres?  Maybe road rims are measured external...  Looks very fast anyway :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tentboy

« Reply #926 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 20:07:29 »
Show Image

Show Image

Really confused by your new wheels - 19mm rims with tiny tyres?  Maybe road rims are measured external...  Looks very fast anyway :thumb:

Thanks!

When I bought the Trek I tried to keep it in the same gear and use my momentum to get up the hill because I couldn't shift consistently the first week I had it  :p
Needs some work and and i am considering doing an entire tear down and repaint it.  since i have two bikes i don't need to worry about rushing it to get back out.

LOL yea about the tires.  I thought that my old (stock cannondale) wheels were the same width as the new ones I just got, and they were on the 23c tires.  but they were 19 external and the new ones are 24 external.  so I really should pick up some 25c tires, but she rides still rides fine and they are soooo much smoother and faster than the stock wheels even with the 23 tires so ill stick with them for a little bit atleast.  luckily new tires are pretty cheap.

Offline typo

« Reply #927 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 21:01:51 »
The truth is when I hit that number I was indeed drafting behind a truck. Often, holding onto it. As usual walie is in fact not so stupid after all. I got that number on the handle bar computer. Ordinarily the fastest I could go on flat ground in the open is about half that. I am not sure why I felt the need to brag like that but I apologize. Also I "met" Greg Lemond. I did not "know" him. I figured I better be honest here.

Offline JP

« Reply #928 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 23:43:30 »
The truth is when I hit that number I was indeed drafting behind a truck. Often, holding onto it. As usual walie is in fact not so stupid after all. I got that number on the handle bar computer. Ordinarily the fastest I could go on flat ground in the open is about half that. I am not sure why I felt the need to brag like that but I apologize. Also I "met" Greg Lemond. I did not "know" him. I figured I better be honest here.

That's still pretty badass though. It takes some balls to do something like that. Like the fastest I've gone (multiple occasions) was 40 mph or so while flying downhill and that 40 mph mark was only because I was using brakes to bleed off a little speed otherwise would have been going faster . :eek: That's plenty fast thank you very much. I haven't met anyone famous. Last year I did sign up for a century ride for charity which featured some pro cyclists but I ended up with an injury just before that ride.

Offline JP

« Reply #929 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 23:45:07 »
Show Image

Show Image

My first road bike had downtube shifters just like this! Kind of sketchy but it works.

Offline jamster

« Reply #930 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 01:02:18 »
Downtube shifters for long road rides are fine, they're only a bit of an issue if you're doing city commuting with them, as you have to constantly shift whist riding in traffic. Definitely took a little while to get used to though.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #931 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 03:44:44 »
When I bought the Trek I tried to keep it in the same gear and use my momentum to get up the hill because I couldn't shift consistently the first week I had it  :p
Needs some work and and i am considering doing an entire tear down and repaint it.  since i have two bikes i don't need to worry about rushing it to get back out.

LOL yea about the tires.  I thought that my old (stock cannondale) wheels were the same width as the new ones I just got, and they were on the 23c tires.  but they were 19 external and the new ones are 24 external.  so I really should pick up some 25c tires, but she rides still rides fine and they are soooo much smoother and faster than the stock wheels even with the 23 tires so ill stick with them for a little bit atleast.  luckily new tires are pretty cheap.

Of course, friction as well as sketchy position.  Hills when you're pedalling hard are not the time to take your hand off the bars and reach down let alone to carefully tweak!  And as jamster mentioned not great for breaking hard and being ready to pull away at traffic lights.  I used 9 speed friction on bar end shifters for a while and that was fine, though I was happy to abuse a shiftmate and get it indexed for laziness.

I'm no expert on skinny slick tyres but my bike (gravel-ish) came with 17mm internal rims and 35s, I then had 19mm rims with 42s and now 25mm with 50ish - in each case around double.  Can't you at least fit 28s?  I'm sure you'd notice the comfort and bigger diameter is faster too.  And they'd actually stick out past your nice rims and offer a little protection...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tentboy

« Reply #932 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 05:39:28 »

I'm no expert on skinny slick tyres but my bike (gravel-ish) came with 17mm internal rims and 35s, I then had 19mm rims with 42s and now 25mm with 50ish - in each case around double.  Can't you at least fit 28s?  I'm sure you'd notice the comfort and bigger diameter is faster too.  And they'd actually stick out past your nice rims and offer a little protection...

Neither am i apparently :p i certainly have the frame clearance for 25s and probably 28s. maybe that’s why those 23s were such a ***** to fit lol

luckily the roads i ride around here are pretty smooth. took it out for a spin and can’t get enough of that new freehub click  :D

Offline typo

« Reply #933 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 10:22:57 »
All road bikes have shifters on the frame. You are talking about dirt bikes?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #934 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 10:46:27 »
Most road bikes come with shifters integrated in the break levers, if wikipedia is to be believed Shimano first did this in 1990, not sure about anyone else.  Seems it has been a while since you rode!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jamster

« Reply #935 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 11:27:24 »
There's definitely some weird semantic confusion here. Anything vaguely current has shifters on the brake levers. Maybe derailleurs?

And "dirt bikes" have internal combustion engines.

Offline JP

« Reply #936 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 11:36:38 »
There's definitely some weird semantic confusion here. Anything vaguely current has shifters on the brake levers. Maybe derailleurs?

A buddy of mine put bar end shifters on his 'bar bike'. My vintage steel bike has bar ends but I haven't rode it enough to be proficient. Definitely popular still with touring setups. Simple and reliable.

Offline jamster

« Reply #937 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 11:47:44 »

A buddy of mine put bar end shifters on his 'bar bike'. My vintage steel bike has bar ends but I haven't rode it enough to be proficient. Definitely popular still with touring setups. Simple and reliable.

I've always wanted to try aerobars with bar end shifters, but I've never been into tri gear or even that seriously into road bikes. Most my experience is MTB and a brief spell with long distance touring.

Offline JP

« Reply #938 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 11:57:34 »
I've always wanted to try aerobars with bar end shifters, but I've never been into tri gear or even that seriously into road bikes. Most my experience is MTB and a brief spell with long distance touring.

Or with a TT bike setup shifting can be as simple as pressing a button with electronic shifting.

Offline walie

« Reply #939 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 13:42:12 »

Or with a TT bike setup shifting can be as simple as pressing a button with electronic shifting.

Electronic shifting was a great development for tri/TT bikes, able to shift gears wether on the aerobars or bullhorns.

Also an electronic front derailleur sounds so good.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #940 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 13:43:40 »
I had bar ends on my drop bars, first setup friction then indexed.  I much prefer them to the combined levers and only switched away because the Nuvinci hub has stupid long cable pull like a Rohloff so I'm now on grip shift which takes middle spot in my preferences.  It should be noted I use drops almost exclusively, if you don't they will be nearly as bad as frame mounted with needing to take your hand off.

Edit: realised I didn't say why - it's because you can only chage a couple of gears in one movement vs all of them in bar end and maybe half on grip shift.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2020, 14:09:44 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tentboy

« Reply #941 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 17:18:30 »
Anyone train with a power meter?  I would love too, and the thing is I wouldn't mind spending the money on one, I would probably get the assioma pedal power meter, but that means I'd also need to buy a bike computer to actually use the data, so looking at $1k+ to even get started.

Until then I'll just keep writing my workouts on a sticky note taped to the stem and using perceived exertion :rolleyes:
More
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2020, 17:20:28 by tentboy »

Offline jamster

« Reply #942 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 22:40:08 »
Have heard that electronic shifting is incredible, but personally have no interest in electronics on a bike beyond a cheap cycle computer and lights.

On the other hand, internal geared hubs are the nuts. Really good idea for mountain bikes- you can change through the range instantly, and it reduces the number of fragile and exposed parts tacked onto the frame.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #943 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 12:48:12 »
Have these same ones for a couple of years and they're super nice! So easy to remove on those sunny days when you know you don't need'em and just as easy to put back on in the morning before work when you know it'll rain. Other mudguards may offer more "dry zone coverage" but rarely they are this slick indeed!

Yeah the quick release sort of nature they have was the main selling point :cool:

Switching my wheels around along with fixed mudguards would have been a super hassle :confused:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline MMKB

« Reply #944 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 14:18:40 »
Anyone train with a power meter?  I would love too, and the thing is I wouldn't mind spending the money on one, I would probably get the assioma pedal power meter, but that means I'd also need to buy a bike computer to actually use the data, so looking at $1k+ to even get started.

Until then I'll just keep writing my workouts on a sticky note taped to the stem and using perceived exertion :rolleyes:
More
Show Image

You might find what you want here for less: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?category=45 A bike computer to show stats and planned routes is pretty handy and saves your phone from sweat and mud and battery drain. I'd love a crankset with power meter too.

Offline JP

« Reply #945 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:37:53 »

More
Show Image

I was riding with a power meter last summer. It was interesting to look at the data on Strava. I honestly wasn't using the power meter with any level of discipline like someone serious about training. I did like looking at the numbers and seeing how much power I was exerting at different levels of perceived effort. I don't take things serious enough to the point where I need a coach or a prescribed training plan and I just like riding however I like to ride at any given moment. A bike computer is a handy tool for a wide variety of riders. Most people buy one over a power meter or at the very least buy a bike computer before a power meter although you do have to watch out for compatibility between power meters and bike computers. I would honestly be hesitant about dropping that much dough on a toy but if you do, go all the way and learn about structured training, read books on training, subscribe to training software like Trainer Road (they have great training plans), and get a cycling coach to help you. If you have a ton of time to ride you will get stronger with time in the saddle, especially riding up those hills. If you don't have as much time to train then I would say a power meter or smart trainer will help you really maximize your available time with a proper training plan of course.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:39:53 by JP »

Offline tentboy

« Reply #946 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 17:08:17 »

More
Show Image

I was riding with a power meter last summer. It was interesting to look at the data on Strava. I honestly wasn't using the power meter with any level of discipline like someone serious about training. I did like looking at the numbers and seeing how much power I was exerting at different levels of perceived effort. I don't take things serious enough to the point where I need a coach or a prescribed training plan and I just like riding however I like to ride at any given moment. A bike computer is a handy tool for a wide variety of riders. Most people buy one over a power meter or at the very least buy a bike computer before a power meter although you do have to watch out for compatibility between power meters and bike computers. I would honestly be hesitant about dropping that much dough on a toy but if you do, go all the way and learn about structured training, read books on training, subscribe to training software like Trainer Road (they have great training plans), and get a cycling coach to help you. If you have a ton of time to ride you will get stronger with time in the saddle, especially riding up those hills. If you don't have as much time to train then I would say a power meter or smart trainer will help you really maximize your available time with a proper training plan of course.

thanks for the write up and your experience!
i am pretty experienced with training/training plans, etc.... but all for running since i used to race the 5k in school.
i’ve actually been doing a ton of learning in regards to cycling training since it is a good bit different then what i am used to - and i still have a ton to learn. it’s really cool and i am enjoying it, as well as tiring myself out riding  :eek:
I think you made a good point about getting a cycling computer first since that has a much wider range of applications.
i also want to be careful to not lose track of why i bought my first road bike a few years ago it’s a ton of fun and freeing to just get out and ride  :)

Offline walie

« Reply #947 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 21:59:12 »

More
Show Image

Yes I have one on my tri-bike. Its an excellent tool to use for optimal training, but like all tools, you have to use it properly (ie. take a fitness test first to establish your power zones) in order to use it to its full potential.

Its also helps in pacing yourself so that you don't blow yourself up too soon.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #948 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 16:56:05 »
PSA just in case anyone's tempted to try a Nuvinci gear hub - the shifter had may as well be made of glass for the amount of grip it offers a bare hand in light rain.  I am disappointed as I've enjoyed it for the past couple of months but this pretty much kills it.  Unless I can invent a cable pull multiplier to use with bar ends...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline typo

« Reply #949 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 21:43:57 »
Every road bike I ever had had the shifters on the down tube. These are pro road bikes though. If you are up right you cut into the wind and slow down. You have to reach all the way down to shift. plus brakes are "hooded" no extensions. The seat is a sliver. these are not comfort machines.