Author Topic: Model M owner from NZ  (Read 954 times)

Offline cdc

Model M owner from NZ
« on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 00:47:55 »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a software engineer from New Zealand.
I own 3 Model M's. My main keyboard (which I use daily at work) is a 1988 Model M 1391401. It is a generation-1 model (with the vertical stabiliser bars) and has a thick black detatchable spiral cable with an AT plug end.
My other two Model M's are blue-label 1994's (82G2383 not 1391401).

I'm missing a few keys - A left-arrow, a left shift, a print-screen, a number-pad dot/Del, and a Ctrl. But I do have an extra Alt (which is on the missing Ctrl).

I'm such a keyboard geek that I took cake to work to share around for afternoon tea when my work keyboard turned 26 last year (August 10).

Cheers,
Carl.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:40:58 by cdc »

Offline wholphin

Re: Model M owner from NZ
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:02:28 »
Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum! I too am from New Zealand, and own Model M keyboards. I have a couple of grey label 1391401s from 1990 (as per my sig). Both are bolt modded.

I've ordered a few spare keys from ClickyKeyboards.com for my latest Model M, but I found the shipping horrendously expensive :(.

I've not quite got to the point where I take cake in on my keyboard's birthday, but I can completely understand that one!

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:07:32 by wholphin »
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Model M owner from NZ
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 05:39:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a lot of love for the Model M at the moment.  I have four :)

Although not many go to the extent of celebrating their keyboards' birthdays (unless the keyboard's birthday happens to correspond to your birthday, and there are quite a few people who search for a Model M that shares their birth date).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ