Author Topic: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?  (Read 72744 times)

Offline Findecanor

Re: What is the most useful piece of tech you have purchased lately (or ever)?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 13:52:55 »
I use my digital calipers a lot when building stuff.

Offline GuilleAcoustic

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:11:13 »
Not in order of usefulness:
  • Soldering station (tinkering and repairing things)
  • Multimeter (can even test my batteries lol)
  • Powerbank with 2x USB port (damn that thing is useful)
  • Arduinos, lots of them (you can do, repair, adapt so many things with them)
  • NAS (Data storage, management and sharing made easy)
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:14:34 by GuilleAcoustic »

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:21:08 »
Not in order of usefulness:
  • Soldering station (tinkering and repairing things)
  • Multimeter (can even test my batteries lol)
  • Powerbank with 2x USB port (damn that thing is useful)
  • Arduinos, lots of them (you can do, repair, adapt so many things with them)
  • NAS (Data storage, management and sharing made easy)

What type of NAS do you have it you don't mind me asking?  My office is transitioning away from local storage in favor of cloud storage, so we have a couple nice Synology units that we are going to get rid of and I have already cleared it with management to take one home, as I would like to integrate it into a HTPC for my home.

Either way, to stay on topic I would definitely say SSD or if it counts, a small LED flashlight.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline GuilleAcoustic

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:29:22 »
I have a Synology DS211J. This is a 2 disks unit and it does work very well. I'd like to move to a 4x 2.5" Synology or QNAP, or even more disk if I can afford it.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:41:15 »
I have a Synology DS211J. This is a 2 disks unit and it does work very well. I'd like to move to a 4x 2.5" Synology or QNAP, or even more disk if I can afford it.

Oh cool, do you like the DSM UI on it?  I set a couple of the units up (most of them are 2-bay DS214+ models but the largest is a 5-bay DS1511+) and loved the UI of them and think that they would make great storage for an HTPC.  Also, HDD storage is so cheap now that even with a 2-bay model you could throw 2 x 2-3TBs in it for under $200 pretty easily, although upgrading to a 2.5" system might get a little more pricey.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline GuilleAcoustic

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:57:09 »
The Synology UI is really nice. Setting audio server, NFS / SMB, quota, etc ... everything is so easy with a Synology. I'd love a 2.5" variant because of their small size

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 15:10:36 »
The Synology UI is really nice. Setting audio server, NFS / SMB, quota, etc ... everything is so easy with a Synology. I'd love a 2.5" variant because of their small size

Show Image

Wow, I didn't realize the 2.5" versions were that much smaller!  The DS214s that we have are relatively small but the DS1511+ is pretty big and kind of heavy, so the 2.5" version would help to shrink the units with more bays without sacrificing that much space.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 19:06:37 »
I use my digital calipers a lot when building stuff.

+1 My Mitutoyos get a mad amount of use while crafting. I used a non digital micrometer for way too long.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline arcvile

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 14:22:32 »
I can not stress this enough if you like to play video games. Take the money and get 144Hz monitors, nothing feels quite nice as a 144Hz monitor. As a close second get a mechanical keyboard, they last longer then you could imagine with proper upkeep and well worth the investment for a good one.

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 15:17:37 »
My chromecast is definitely the most useful compared to the cost

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 16:04:13 »
Nuwave oven.

Hear me out.

It may look like cheap midnight infomercial crap... But it has changed my life..

This thing can cook everything perfectly!

Got some left over food from the restaurant you ate last night?

Throw it in the NuWave Oven and it will taste better then when you ordered it! Seriously! I put some french fries from a fast food joint in there and, omg let me tell you, pure pefection! Better then it was fresh from the restaurant!

It so easy to use and clean, your average geekhacker can use it with no problem.

Just last night I made Chicken Breast wrapped with bacon and stuffed with cream cheese. Took less then 20 mins and I made like 0 mess.

It was so freaking juicy and crispy and.....GOOD!

Best purchase of 2015 hands down!

P.S You can even bake a cake in this mother ****er!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 16:06:33 »
Nuwave oven.

Hear me out.

It may look like cheap midnight infomercial crap... But it has changed my life..

Throw it in the NuWave Oven and it will taste better then when you ordered it! Seriously! I put some french fries from a fast food joint in there and, omg let me tell you, pure pefection! Better then it was fresh from the restaurant!

It so easy to use and clean, your average geekhacker can use it with no problem.

Just last night I made Chicken Breast wrapped with bacon and stuffed with cream cheese. Took less then 20 mins and I made like 0 mess.

(Attachment Link)
WTT keyboard for magical oven :P

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 16:09:05 »
My chromecast is definitely the most useful compared to the cost
When you put it in terms of bang for your buck, you're right, Chromecast is tops.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 16:10:07 »
Nuwave oven.

Hear me out.

(Attachment Link)

inb4 Bromono's account hacked by infomercial company  :confused:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 16:17:48 »
Nuwave oven.

Hear me out.

(Attachment Link)

inb4 Bromono's account hacked by infomercial company  :confused:

psshaa

More people need to buy this thing!

So we can create a NuWave Oven thread and people can share what they have made!

I am almost cooking every night!

Talk about healthy!

Throw some Peppers stuffed with some Beef, Onion and Cheese, then play a 20 min game of league (Yeah I carry the team) and BAM! Dinner is served!

The Miss loves it and I don't have to miss my games while cooking!

I am no way affiliated with the NuWave oven company. Thank you.

Offline GuilleAcoustic

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 16:33:53 »
But cooking is about pouring all your love in the recipe (I can so read the pervert comments coming). It can't be a lazy activity  :p. Cooking is my stress reliever, alongside music
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 November 2015, 16:35:59 by GuilleAcoustic »

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 16:26:46 »
(Attachment Link)
I didn't know that I needed a Pebble smartwatch until I was gifted with one last week  :)
It's limited in its usefullness but It's a nifty little gadget and a conversation starter. Now I can keep my iphone in my pocket while driving and control Pandora music stream via my watch! Who woulda thought?

Are those key caps under your watch pad printed ones?

The watch is on top of my Model M which has laser etched caps. The glare from the room lights are messing with your eyeballs  :confused:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 16:39:23 »
Might not be fore everyone, but 3D printers. They're getting damn cheap, and they're so useful, especially for those of you who do a lot of projects.

Not to mention that it's also one of the coolest things I own

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 17:31:19 »
There are too many to consider when I think about "Most useful ever".

But, "recently",  one neat little device that I think can offer amazing value for money is the Google Chromecast. If you look at all it offers for the 30-something bucks it cost when coupled with the right software, it is really quite amazing and one of my best recent purchases.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 21:36:15 »
Lately:
My little, used Samsung laptop, 11.6in matte 1366 res., 4gigs, Core i3, under 2.5 pounds...

I added an SSD (none of the onboard b.s.), and better wifi card, gave it a cleaning...  Still to come, 8gigs of ram. Build quality is average (coming from top of the line Sony it's a bit of a bummer), and battery life is only around 3 hours even after the SSD, but it's a fantastic travel laptop. About the same as carrying a small book.

Most useful ever?
That would need to be quantified to get a good answer. Is it what I use most, what got me interested in tech, what drives my business... Too many ways to answer that.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 21:44:15 »
But cooking is about pouring all your love in the recipe (I can so read the pervert comments coming). It can't be a lazy activity  :p . Cooking is my stress reliever, alongside music

I also love to cook for my family, particularly the breakfast; however, I cannot see how the comment fits in here.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 02:56:29 »
Datavac is pretty good. Much better constructed than I thought it would be, and very powerful. Good purchase, worth the $55 for sure.

The hand held one? We can't get them in the UK :( I really want one :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DataVac-220-Electric-Duster-White/dp/B003BZCOKK

;) 

Offline jaffers

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 03:31:40 »
Most useful thing ever? Definitely my iFixit Pro Toolkit. Use it everyday, be it the screw drivers, prying tools, or the tweezers. Knife and ruler are absolute crap though

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 10:53:52 »
Recently?

A larger capacity SSD for my desktop.  I also stuffed the old SSD in my laptop...best upgrade after adding ram (lol only laptop upgrades for my model).

Ever?

So far it has to be the Synology Diskstation. I had a DS413 that died and was replaced with a DS414.  I use it primarily for backup.  Working on an x-deal with a friend for off-site data storage but he still needs to get a NAS.  He will soon though seeing that I keep bugging him to get one he suffered a hard drive failure. :'(

Other useful stuff I've bought:
  • a swiss knife / pocket multi-tool.  I carry it in my pocket whenever I leave the house.  I'm on my 3rd after losing the 1st and having the 2nd one confiscated at the airport lol.
  • a heart rate monitor.  This makes sure I don't "over do it" when exercising.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:37:19 »
Recently?

A larger capacity SSD for my desktop.  I also stuffed the old SSD in my laptop...best upgrade after adding ram (lol only laptop upgrades for my model).

Ever?

So far it has to be the Synology Diskstation. I had a DS413 that died and was replaced with a DS414.  I use it primarily for backup.  Working on an x-deal with a friend for off-site data storage but he still needs to get a NAS.  He will soon though seeing that I keep bugging him to get one he suffered a hard drive failure. :'(

• a swiss knife / pocket multi-tool.  I carry it in my pocket whenever I leave the house.  I'm on my 3rd after losing the 1st and having the 2nd one confiscated at the airport lol.

SSDs are a great addition to any PC. I learnt the professional version SSD worth the additional investment, they are faster, more reliable and heat less than their commercial counterparts.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:42:56 »
Recently?

Ever?

SSDs are a great addition to any PC. I learnt the professional version SSD worth the additional investment, they are faster, more reliable and heat less than their commercial counterparts.

Professional as in enterprise grade?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:15:52 »
Recently?

Ever?

What is the price difference between the professional and commercial versions?  I have been upgrading some of the computers at my office during the slow season and I have found that a SSD, even something as small as 120GB, is the best upgrade dollar-for-dollar.  We don't use much of our local storage as now most things are cloud-based but it still speeds up the OS quite a bit along with other applications like Excel, Word, and our tax software, so we could even drop to smaller than 120GBs and if the professional ones aren't a ton more it might be worth it.

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:22:23 »
Any sort of cable extender that allows me to not have to plug things in and out of the back of my computer and allows me to do it on my desktop.

Just got a USB 3.0 hub!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 13:38:37 »
Recently?

Ever?

What is the price difference between the professional and commercial versions?  I have been upgrading some of the computers at my office during the slow season and I have found that a SSD, even something as small as 120GB, is the best upgrade dollar-for-dollar.  We don't use much of our local storage as now most things are cloud-based but it still speeds up the OS quite a bit along with other applications like Excel, Word, and our tax software, so we could even drop to smaller than 120GBs and if the professional ones aren't a ton more it might be worth it.
SSDs are good, but be careful of losing data due to failure.  A Carnagie Melon study on Facebook massive SSD usage had some interesting findings on the subject of reliability:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/facebooks-ssd-experience/
https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~omutlu/pub/flash-memory-failures-in-the-field-at-facebook_sigmetrics15.pdf

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:52:29 »
Recently?

Ever?

SSDs are good, but be careful of losing data due to failure.  A Carnagie Melon study on Facebook massive SSD usage had some interesting findings on the subject of reliability:
https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~omutlu/pub/flash-memory-failures-in-the-field-at-facebook_sigmetrics15.pdf

All of our important data is either cloud-based or based on a local server, so the speed increase significantly outweighs the possible risk of local data loss, at least my case.

Offline paradox

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:22:17 »
I bought a "Datavac Electric Duster" and a replacement CPU fan.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:24:59 »
rode psa-1 and rode nt-usb great investment clears up my deskspace and ups my voice quality in teamspeak,skype and ingame

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:35:18 »

Show Image

IIIIIIIIIIII need to get one of those.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Coreda

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:01:25 »
Recently would be Polk Hampdens. Still love my Sennheiser HD-25s, being probably the best value-to-use of any audio product I've bought, but it's a great change having some compact, quality speakers.

Not without some flaws though, which I'll detail when I post the review here some time once I get the photos processed and whathaveyou.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:24:39 »
Recently?

Ever?

Thanks for the heads-up!  I've only read about data loss when the SSD is left without power.  thankfully my diskstation has my important data covered. :thumb:

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:39:40 »
Recently?

Ever?

Thanks for the heads-up!  I've only read about data loss when the SSD is left without power.  thankfully my diskstation has my important data covered. :thumb:

Keep in mind that enterprise usage is way different than end user usage. Most SSDs in the enterprise are DB volumes, which sees a lot more data turnover than an end user. A LOT more. I mean, a lot a lot A LOT more. In the enterprise, this is OK, because the speed offsets the 'risk' since regular backups of the DBs are being done, yadda yadda.

The SSDs I use are all for OS/Apps. My data all goes either to a RAID 6 array on my server, or the cloud, depending on what it is. Data is data, no need to put it on super fast expensive storage. Unless you're doing heavy 4k video editing, then SSDs might be a requirement...

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 09:03:40 »
Recently?

Ever?

All of our important data is either cloud-based or based on a local server, so the speed increase significantly outweighs the possible risk of local data loss, at least my case.
That's the way to do it.  :thumb:  I usually do both an off-site (several actually) and a couple of on-sites as well.
Recently would be Polk Hampdens. Still love my Sennheiser HD-25s, being probably the best value-to-use of any audio product I've bought, but it's a great change having some compact, quality speakers.

Not without some flaws though, which I'll detail when I post the review here some time once I get the photos processed and whathaveyou.
Can't wait to hear the review.  :cool:  Several of us are audiophiles here too, among other obsessions, lol.
Recently?

Ever?

You're welcome!  It was an eye opener for me as well.  I had started to use solid state storage on some of our servers for additional speed since there's 0 seek time, but have since moved to traditional enterprise class hard drives (also because the data has grown to the point ssds aren't cost effective).
Recently?

Ever?

Keep in mind that enterprise usage is way different than end user usage. Most SSDs in the enterprise are DB volumes, which sees a lot more data turnover than an end user. A LOT more. I mean, a lot a lot A LOT more. In the enterprise, this is OK, because the speed offsets the 'risk' since regular backups of the DBs are being done, yadda yadda.

The SSDs I use are all for OS/Apps. My data all goes either to a RAID 6 array on my server, or the cloud, depending on what it is. Data is data, no need to put it on super fast expensive storage. Unless you're doing heavy 4k video editing, then SSDs might be a requirement...
True, but that also means that they are built, to a certain extent, more robustly.  Even though the data integrity may be slightly more, because of all that turnover, they have to be made better.  A consumer ssd in those environments would be toast much quicker just due to the duty cycle.

That's how I use SSDs as well--os or programs where data loss is easily managed.  Totally agree that archival storage doesn't have to be fast, just reliable.  I stopped using RAID after RAID 5 after discovering that bit-rot can silently destroy the data integrity of those systems.  I now use my own redundancy method I've dubbed RAID 1.3, which is jbod of three drives of identical data that are manually integrity checked on a regular basis for bit-rot using windiff.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:09:51 »
There are too many to consider when I think about "Most useful ever".

But, "recently",  one neat little device that I think can offer amazing value for money is the Google Chromecast. If you look at all it offers for the 30-something bucks it cost when coupled with the right software, it is really quite amazing and one of my best recent purchases.

Totally this. It blows my mind when I go to someones house and they have TV's that don't have a streaming box or a computer attached. Like what are you some type of caveman?

My TV has built in roku, which isn't as easy to use as chromecast, but also has the advantage of a dedicated remote not using up an HDMI input.

Since someone else mentioned food... Slow Cooker. Its hands down the easiest way to make AMAZING food. I made pot roast for six people last week, and it took me like ten minutes of prep.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:29:04 »
bought a new keyboard last week which means that i'm now able to actually use my computer......
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 22:47:05 »
Slow Cooker. Its hands down the easiest way to make AMAZING food. I made pot roast for six people last week, and it took me like ten minutes of prep.
My wife wants one of these so bad (or at least a rice cooker).  Any recommendations on a quality one?

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 00:09:31 »
Slow Cooker. Its hands down the easiest way to make AMAZING food. I made pot roast for six people last week, and it took me like ten minutes of prep.
My wife wants one of these so bad (or at least a rice cooker).  Any recommendations on a quality one?

I use a Hamilton Beach cooker I bought from Amazon. Just make sure you get an oval one so that you can properly stack meat on the bottom of the cooker. I use mine weekly without a hiccup.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 06:54:19 »
Ooh. Tough to choose between my Weller WSD81i soldering iron and my Mitutoyo digital caliper. Both see a lot of use and both are very nice tools.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 07:52:16 »
Loving my Steam Link right now.  It's not perfect yet but definitely does the job

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 08:03:14 »
Loving my Steam Link right now.  It's not perfect yet but definitely does the job

What controller solution are you using?

I heard a ps4 controller works if you dont like the steam controller. Or you would have to get a xbone controller with the wireless dongle.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 09:01:42 »

I heard a ps4 controller works if you dont like the steam controller. Or you would have to get a xbone controller with the wireless dongle.

I'm also a fan of the Steam Link.  Not my submission for most useful piece of tech (still thinking of that), but it's great.

I use the Steam controller though - it's the best mouse + keyboard replacement controller I've ever used.  I've yet to use it as a "regular" controller though, so can't comment on that (so far I've mostly just played Civ V ^-^ ).

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 09:15:26 »

I'm also a fan of the Steam Link.  Not my submission for most useful piece of tech (still thinking of that), but it's great.

I use the Steam controller though - it's the best mouse + keyboard replacement controller I've ever used.  I've yet to use it as a "regular" controller though, so can't comment on that (so far I've mostly just played Civ V ^-^ ).

Wish I could find a place and try it before buying it. =/

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:21:15 »

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can buy the mouse and then return it, pretty much no questions asked.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 15:34:11 »

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can buy the mouse and then return it, pretty much no questions asked.

You can do that.  But that's not really the point of that service, and only serves to push the cost to buyers that don't do that.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 15:45:35 »

You can do that.  But that's not really the point of that service, and only serves to push the cost to buyers that don't do that.

Amazon prime and other similar services are based on the assumption people will not abuse on the benefits.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 20:39:40 »

Amazon prime and other similar services are based on the assumption people will not abuse on the benefits.

The only benefit you would be abusing would be the 2 days shipping, and if you decided that you really liked it you wouldn't even be abusing that.  We have ordered plenty of things at my office that we returned for reasons ranging from something being broken to it being the wrong size or even us just not needing it anymore, and I have never had any issues with returns  People buy all kinds of things like clothing, shoes, and even electronics specifically from Amazon because you don't get hosed with shipping if you decide it doesn't fit or its not for you (looking at you Newegg) so I see no problem, especially if you use Prime as much as most people do, to buy a mouse with the intention of trying and maybe keeping the mouse, but if you don't like it to send it back for a refund.