Author Topic: Topre Dome Replacements (Complete? Wasn't a GB tho.)  (Read 206655 times)

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Re: [IC] Topre Dome Replacements
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 18:00:21 »
Yeah BKE domes are still a dream at this stage. It's only been talked about. The guy who proposed making the BKE domes has teamed up with jchan and i assume when his 50g domes GB is done, only then will the work on the BKE domes start, which could be months away. They did saw that Late June they would have some news for us about the BKE domes.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 18:01:17 »
Hyped  ;D

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 18:28:14 »
boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii yes pls

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 22:40:16 »
My HHKB Pro JP just came in and I'm REALLY hoping to bump these up to a 55g dome. Let's hope this IC is a success story!

Hopefully i can do the same. Just bought another hhkb jp as well to get some 55g domes for.

I got impatient today, and tore apart my RF87u for the domes and springs. But now I have a domeless RF and it looks so deflated and sad...
What did you need the springs for?

The weight difference is in the domes.

The springs are all 5g yeah?

I just wanted to keep them with their respective domes. I know it doesn't matter, but I guess I'm OCD like that.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 02:05:59 »
STOKEDDD

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:42:53 »
Another image.

TLDR

Going to get some community feedback from people about these, and ask about improvements, and issues with them. they'll be shipped around to some people who know their Topre, and if they choose to, they'll post a review online - it's completely their choice.

Show Image

I'm confused. I keep hearing people talking about BKE domes being reproduced, but the BKE dome pics I find online look much different then these. Are these domes in the picture something else in addition to the BKE dome reproductions?
Show Image

these are the right domes, but they have to be modified to be used in topre boards.
the pic you posted needs to have the carbon foot removed, then it can be used in a board.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 22:58:28 »
Quick Update

I had a quick moment to test out the domes and how they compare to Realforce 50g ones. They are slightly heavier than 50g.

I've sent the samples out to people so they can test them out already, and hope to get feedback soon.

If all goes well, we might be able to proceed very soon, but only if the feedback is positive. If not, we'll go back to adjusting our models.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 03:23:06 »
This is great! I'd love some thing slightly heavier than 50g.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 10:04:50 »
Quick Update

I had a quick moment to test out the domes and how they compare to Realforce 50g ones. They are slightly heavier than 50g.

I've sent the samples out to people so they can test them out already, and hope to get feedback soon.

If all goes well, we might be able to proceed very soon, but only if the feedback is positive. If not, we'll go back to adjusting our models.

Dopre! I don't mind if they are slightly heavier at all.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline dante

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 08:44:01 »
Quick Update

Any chance you may do 65g (or heavier) domes?

Offline w0odyallen

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 11:40:26 »
I would also buy domes heavier than 50, like 65.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 12:54:35 »
Keep in mind that 50g domes become 55 with the springs. So all "55g" topre switches use 50g domes. Another reviewer said he thinks these domes are heavier than the expected 50g, and when installed in his fc660c, had noticeably more tactility and we're obviously considerably heavier.
keyboards.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 15:11:39 »
Here's one review received on reddit. With this I'm trying to add an adhesive pad to the dome to help it stick to the pcb better so it doesn't move.

I thought about making strips, but I think the measurements might be off.

I've also asked manufacturer about the turnaround and they said 4 weeks to produce the dome quantity up to 100,000.

Pros
+ Cheap way to get heavier domes.
+ Nice and smooth.
+ Crisp bump.
+ The added tactility feels really nice.

Cons
ー Domes seem to come as individuals. Hard to seat and keep seated.

Neutral
- Feels a lot heavier than the stock domes on my fc660c. Take this however you will.
- May be a bit too heavy for leopold boards, especially since they sit around 50g stock as it is, but may feel perfect for other boards.

Overall
KeyClack's new topre domes are a nice addition to any topre fans looking for a heavier experience out of their 45g topre boards without the money to shell out for a 55g realforce. The tactility gets a nice increase from the domeswap. My only complaint is that these domes, for now, seem to only come as individuals. Without any way to keep the dome seated on the board, even putting in one dome was an annoying experience. The dome definitely delivers on what it's trying to do.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 17:50:09 »
It would be difficult to get the spacing correct because they'd need to mold an entire strip otherwise the dimensions would probably be off honestly. It's a pita sometimes to get the single domes to sit straight on topre boards so an entire board of singles could be a nightmare. I think a low hold plastic/rubber safe adhesive would be a very good solution.
keyboards.

Offline marre259

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 23:32:51 »
The novatouch has spoiled me with it's single sheet of domes  ;D

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 10:10:08 »
Installing domes one by one obviously takes a lot of time, but I'm surprised that reviewer had seating issues.  Were they trying to place the domes directly on the PCB or something?  Best way to do it is to drop them into the sliders with the sliders hanging all the way down (just get two boxes and put them at the edges of the plate so the sliders aren't pressing against anything).

Offline ns90

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 11:11:55 »
Installing domes one by one obviously takes a lot of time, but I'm surprised that reviewer had seating issues.  Were they trying to place the domes directly on the PCB or something?  Best way to do it is to drop them into the sliders with the sliders hanging all the way down (just get two boxes and put them at the edges of the plate so the sliders aren't pressing against anything).

This is exactly what I did when I dome-swapped my HHKB. You just need to make sure to shim it underneath so that the sliders will hang down.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 14:26:14 »

This is exactly what I did when I dome-swapped my HHKB. You just need to make sure to shim it underneath so that the sliders will hang down.

I've only done a NT dome swap.

How do you feel about having an adhesive side on the dome so it sticks to the pcb?

Offline BSmith333

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 17:57:40 »

I've only done a NT dome swap.

How do you feel about having an adhesive side on the dome so it sticks to the pcb?

Adhesive would be awesome so the springs dont fly everywhere when you open it up again

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 18:34:30 »
I wonder if the guy put the domes on the PCB or on the housings. You should put in on the housings (from my experience). There are already pins to help line them up, as seen here:

Adhesive would be annoying in my opinion; if you stick them on in the wrong place, you're kinda screwed.

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 18:38:12 »
I wonder if the guy put the domes on the PCB or on the housings. You should put in on the housings (from my experience). There are already pins to help line them up, as seen here:

Show Image

Adhesive would be annoying in my opinion; if you stick them on in the wrong place, you're kinda screwed.
I've had issues where the spring didn't sit flat when placing the domes in the housing. I would definitely prefer if they were glued properly at the factory, but putting glue myself would be tedious go say the least

Offline robbles

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 18:44:01 »
There is no adhesive applied in the factory correct? I always assumed the domes kinda stuck to the PCB because rubber tends to naturally adhere to smooth surfaces overtime. I might be down if it was a really light adhesive that didn't leave residue on the PCB, just so the domes stayed in place if you have to open it back up.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 19:44:37 »
There is no adhesive applied in the factory correct? I always assumed the domes kinda stuck to the PCB because rubber tends to naturally adhere to smooth surfaces overtime. I might be down if it was a really light adhesive that didn't leave residue on the PCB, just so the domes stayed in place if you have to open it back up.

Ours will use 3M adhesive. Only the best.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 20:36:25 »

I'm not sure how I feel about adhesive. I've done a few dome swaps and I feel like having the domes stick to the PCB would be real annoying.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 20:44:22 »

I'm not sure how I feel about adhesive. I've done a few dome swaps and I feel like having the domes stick to the PCB would be real annoying.

Yeah having adhesive is definitely something I don't want.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 20:57:59 »
I feel like if adhesive is used, it should be equivalent to a glue stick or something. 

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 21:05:27 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:52:10 by alienman82 »

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 00:53:50 »
 :P we won't be using adhesive.

Anyways, here are two more reviews.

Review 1

Pro
- pretty bang on with quality (had to mark it just so I wouldn't confuse it with 55g dome)
- as it sits now: if you like heavy switches, this is right up your alley
- **** yes to topre dome options
- seems to fit in housing just fine

Con
- this is heavy compared to 55g (i'm not a heavy switch user)
- imo because the weight is so high it feels like it kills some of the tactility?

Review 2

Pro
- Super tactile compared to rf 55g
- Comparable quality and feel to rf 55g
- Same actuation point and collapse point
Cons
- Heavier than rf 55g by a lot
- There is bur/spru marks on the edges of the dome from the mold

My Response

The dome was measured. It's about 155g if you use the coin test to measure it so the dome hits the bottom.

I'll be adjusting the model to get somewhere around 75g.

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 03:58:25 »
It Shouldn't feel comparable to 55g normal domes. I thought the whole point of BKE domes was a added tactility. BKE Domes are meant to be the most tactile Domes out there.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 08:58:11 »
These aren't the BKE dome clones, that's a separate project.

Offline robbles

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 11:08:44 »

My Response

The dome was measured. It's about 155g if you use the coin test to measure it so the dome hits the bottom.

I'll be adjusting the model to get somewhere around 75g.

Thank you for 75g bottom out! That sounds perfect.

I'm curious what boards the testers were using.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 17:18:38 »
These aren't the BKE dome clones, that's a separate project.

Ah yeah Thanks. Totally got the projects mistaken

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 20:41:43 »
Please excuse my ignorance: can this dome be used on the Topre 108 RGB without losing MX compatibility? Seems like the dome would go underneath the cap housing/stem, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just figured I'd ask to make sure.

Anyway I'm super excited by this project. I'm thinking I should buy enough for every board I would eventually plan on buying, just in case. Unfortunately I only specified on the form that I want 110. I'm going to resubmit the form for a larger order. I hope this doesn't cause any confusion.

I'm positive I'm going to want to upgrade to the BKE as well when and if they come out. >_<
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 21:33:37 »
Please excuse my ignorance: can this dome be used on the Topre 108 RGB without losing MX compatibility? Seems like the dome would go underneath the cap housing/stem, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just figured I'd ask to make sure.

Anyway I'm super excited by this project. I'm thinking I should buy enough for every board I would eventually plan on buying, just in case. Unfortunately I only specified on the form that I want 110. I'm going to resubmit the form for a larger order. I hope this doesn't cause any confusion.

I'm positive I'm going to want to upgrade to the BKE as well when and if they come out. >_<

Yep you'll be able to use these without issue, though you'll void your warranty since you have to open up the case.  Also you don't have to worry about the form in the OP, that's just there to give jchan an idea of how many people are interested and for how many domes.  There will be an actual group buy/sale later on.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 12:25:31 »
New samples are being made this week!

Should have them by next week. Hyped!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 13:14:53 »
New samples are being made this week!

Should have them by next week. Hyped!
:confused:

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 15:05:06 »
Exciting! Has anyone thought about what we will call these?  I really like how people call their novatouches with Norbauer's case the "norbatouch".

jchan domes? keyclack domes? kc/jc domes?
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline marre259

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 00:24:56 »
Exciting! Has anyone thought about what we will call these?  I really like how people call their novatouches with Norbauer's case the "norbatouch".

jchan domes? keyclack domes? kc/jc domes?

jchan's nipples  :))

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 09:22:22 »
At this stage, i'm just waiting for either these or some replica BKE domes to finish my end game hhkb. Organ board is waiting to be sacrificed.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 00:33:14 »
Chan Domes? :O

Anyways, we're working on making new samples.

Arrives next Friday or the following Monday. I'll measure it then, and hope there's good progress. Cheers.

Offline ns90

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 23:26:28 »
J Cups?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 12:01:25 »

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 20:35:10 »

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 16:19:59 »
Just got tracking for TWO new stiffness' of domes.

Hoping these are just right.

My small review of the 150g ish dome.

- On my HHKB Pro 2 Spacebar
- I like how tactile it is, but it is a tad heavy. I had to take out the spring because the spring made it feel super linear.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 20:09:51 »

Show Image

Yeah, whenever I see people saying HHKB is hard to put together I feel like they're not using this method.

Real easy this way.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 09:45:53 »
How are the jcups coming along? I'm so close to endgaming my Novatouch!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 02:30:01 »
New ones came in, and they're pretty good. These are 70g

70g dome

Real Force dome

HHKB dome

Offline Gajible

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 02:33:20 »

70g dome
Show Image

Real Force dome
Show Image

HHKB dome
Show Image

How do they feel as far as tactility goes?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 02:34:53 »

70g dome
Show Image

Real Force dome
Show Image

HHKB dome
Show Image

I'll send you like 4 of em. Feel pretty good. I'd describe it as a huge bump.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 02:41:09 »

70g dome
Show Image

Real Force dome
Show Image

I like big bumps and I cannot lie.

HHKB dome
Show Image

I'll send you like 4 of em. Feel pretty good. I'd describe it as a huge bump.

I like big bumps and I cannot lie.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 June 2017, 02:44:07 by Gajible »