Author Topic: Topre Dome Replacements (Complete? Wasn't a GB tho.)  (Read 206646 times)

Offline Asbrodeus

Re: [IC] Topre Dome Replacements
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 07:01:18 »
damn, I love 55g but 70 must be brutal!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 07:04:36 »
New ones came in, and they're pretty good. These are 70g

70g dome
Show Image

Real Force dome
Show Image

HHKB dome
Show Image

ay dios mio that 70g  :eek:

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 07:43:42 »
ooooh, 70g... I'm glad I didnt get myself 65g yet

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:07:23 »
 I'm gonna be all over that 70g!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:43:20 »
When could we expect a GB?

Offline robbles

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:46:56 »
Are multiple weights going to be offered? Or just one heavy dome to rule them all?
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 11:38:22 »
70g sounds a bit too heavy to me, but I'm sure lots of people would love that as an option. I was hoping for 55g-65g total weight (including spring)
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 18:58:57 »
70g   ;D

Is there at least a rough date?
Like, in 2 months, or sooner/later?
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 June 2017, 19:50:16 by Burt Macklin »

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 06:05:13 »
Someone mentioned 55g domes bottom out at 80g so these are 55g copies (75g + 5g from the spring). Makes a lot more sense now.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 09:29:19 »
Someone mentioned 55g domes bottom out at 80g so these are 55g copies (75g + 5g from the spring). Makes a lot more sense now.

Yes that's what I'm thinking is the case, so I'm 100% down for this.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline SJHL

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 10:01:58 »
Might be interested in both 70g and 55g domes. Hopefully, the price isn't too bad.

Thanks for making this happen.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 June 2017, 10:13:21 by SJHL »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 10:19:46 »

The domes labeled Realforce look dark like the 55g domes though and have 10 nickels on top, which would be 50g (and the HHKB dome has 8 i.e. 40g). So I think these latest J Cups are indeed just heavier.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 20:46:08 »
Any more updates soon? So looking forward to this.. woke up yesterday and realised my stock HHKB felt 'mushy' - in other words, I need this tactility  ;D
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 19:27:02 »

The domes labeled Realforce look dark like the 55g domes though and have 10 nickels on top, which would be 50g (and the HHKB dome has 8 i.e. 40g). So I think these latest J Cups are indeed just heavier.

So this is what's interesting about the JDomes.

Clearly, the bottom out force is signifcantly higher, I feel that the domes actuation force is close to the Realforce domes. There is a nice big bump in the beginning, which I really like.

I sent final review samples to Gajible, and Quakemz, who may or may not post some final feedback on the domes, but I highly encourage that they do.

I'm really excited, and we're almost there.

Please fill out the form if you haven't.
----

Lastly, we're still trying to mock up the BKE dome, and make sure that it's good to go. I hope we get it done very soon and follow up after this GB is over with.

I'm going to quote a 1 month turnaround time for this GB, as the manufacturer has been extremely timely with their current turnaround times.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 19:29:27 by jchan94 »
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 00:02:34 »

Clearly, the bottom out force is signifcantly higher, I feel that the domes actuation force is close to the Realforce domes. There is a nice big bump in the beginning, which I really like.

I sent final review samples to Gajible, and Quakemz, who may or may not post some final feedback on the domes, but I highly encourage that they do.

----

Lastly, we're still trying to mock up the BKE dome, and make sure that it's good to go. I hope we get it done very soon and follow up after this GB is over with.

I'm going to quote a 1 month turnaround time for this GB, as the manufacturer has been extremely timely with their current turnaround times.

Great news! I don't mind heavy bottom out since I don't really bottom out anyway, as long as the actuation is similar enough.  I just need that bump! Also, I think we all voted on jcups as the official term :P

Offline heyitsqi

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 13:38:08 »
Aw man another jchan thing I'm interested in. Filled out the form!

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 14:39:47 »

----

So i touched a bke this weekend and am in love. In for both. tyvmjc

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 18:06:49 »

----

So i touched a bke this weekend and am in love. In for both. tyvmjc

I've never tried it, but I've heard good things and I'm also in for both. What did you think of the BKE domes?

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 11 July 2017, 18:37:49 »
Put anything heavier than stock HHKB domes in front of me and I'm 110% in  :thumb:

Edit: sorry, realised i've already posted fairly recently on this thread... (is this spamming??) I'm just so excited for this
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 July 2017, 18:39:23 by crtexcnndrm99 »
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline LogicLoop

« Reply #169 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:21:27 »
Having skimmed through this thread: am I correct in thinking that the 70g domes have the same actuation (more or less) as 55g Topre domes. Or are we talking about domes with a 70g actuation?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 14:19:55 »
Having skimmed through this thread: am I correct in thinking that the 70g domes have the same actuation (more or less) as 55g Topre domes. Or are we talking about domes with a 70g actuation?

As I understand,  it's 55g actuation,  70g bottom out

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 19:26:37 »
When's your best estimate for having the group buy jchan?

Also, for you personally, what do you think of having a Topre board with '55g dome' alphas and 'bke dome' mods? Given that I guess you have familiarity with both.

Offline dotcom

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 08:58:42 »
I'm interested in the 70g.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 09:16:35 »
Do we expect these to work on Topre clone keyboards like Plum etc?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 11:41:02 »
Do we expect these to work on Topre clone keyboards like Plum etc?

Yeah, I don't see why not. They all use similar enough domes.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 12:15:29 »
With these, bke domes, those other ones from Seattle meetup, upcoming fc660c and 980c aluminum cases, I think I'm gonna have to sell my MX boards and get more topre. I like my two the way they are but I'll need more. At least 3. Uhg.
keyboards.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 12:51:01 »
With these, bke domes, those other ones from Seattle meetup, upcoming fc660c and 980c aluminum cases, I think I'm gonna have to sell my MX boards and get more topre. I like my two the way they are but I'll need more. At least 3. Uhg.

Topre's dopre.

What domes were at the Seattle meetup?

Actually, jchan is also working with someone else to replicate/mimic BKE domes too, so I'm getting both from him :P

I'm also excitied about the FC660C case... almost endgame for my novatouch and leo. What a time to be alive.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 13:25:43 »
Is this like a single run group buy, or will they be available afterwards. Dangerous question, I realize but...

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 09:21:29 »
In for a set of purple 65g domes!

Offline LogicLoop

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 12:56:29 »

Actually, jchan is also working with someone else to replicate/mimic BKE domes too, so I'm getting both from him :P

What weight are the BKE domes?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 14:26:01 »

What weight are the BKE domes?

I believe BKE domes are technically also around 45g, but it's said to have much greater tactility and a very different feel. Never felt them myself, but I want to!

Offline drevyek

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 01 August 2017, 22:19:25 »
I'd be down for some 55~60g domes. BKe or otherwise. Would love to get a bunch of different feels from Topre.

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 11:26:36 »
Added my interest to the form, I don't really care what color they are, what ever is most popular is fine with me.

Offline arninja21

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 04:10:10 »
I like them domes heavy. I don't think i type that many words at the office anyway anyway. haha

Offline colbs

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 17:34:34 »
Can't wait! Been looking to get heavier domes for a few boards

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 10:46:13 »
Any updates on this? Really want to try these out! Like someone else said, color doesn't matter, so whatever was the most popular vote is fine with me.

Offline robbles

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 11:29:51 »
Jchan seems to be in the middle of the M65-A groupbuy which is taking up a lot of his time. If you follow that thread, you also know he's going through some family health stuff and having to spend a lot of time at the hospital. He also has the GMK Muted buy to handle too.

TL;DR Jchan is hella busy with other gb's and will probably pick this up when his plate is clear.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:50:41 »
Yikes, my best thoughts go out to him and his loved ones then. Will be more patient from now on.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 20:33:50 »
Just wanted to bump this, as I saw some posts on this.

--

Last week, I had a good chat with a new manufacturer, and I had some third parties visit them in Asia to confirm a few things. Basically, few things are moving.

I paid for a new sample mold for the 55g + BKE domes.

The mold will be produced after Sept 6, and samples delivered at the end of Sept to me.

After that, we will run through some QC and then see how to proceed.

---

The biggest thing about the domes is the quality. It is so immensely important to get the feeling and rubber right on it.

Once we have good samples, we'll be proceeding, but this is kinda "pending", but I made a little progress.

---

Lastly, in order to alleviate the whole "GB PROCESS", and "WAITING" period, I'll be skipping that here.

In any case, we have a small waiting game for the samples.

---

Some people who will receive the samples as they helped me on the backend for this to get it to where it is today:

- Platabear
- Quakemz
- Thedford
- Gajible
- ?
- ?

I have 70 domes of each total, and they get 10 each.

---

I hope this update is substantial enough, as I want to state that manufacturers are a dime a dozen, and hopefully we're closing in the one that can provide us the amazing feels that we desire.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline arninja21

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:13:09 »
Just wanted to bump this, as I saw some posts on this.

--

Last week, I had a good chat with a new manufacturer, and I had some third parties visit them in Asia to confirm a few things. Basically, few things are moving.

I paid for a new sample mold for the 55g + BKE domes.

The mold will be produced after Sept 6, and samples delivered at the end of Sept to me.

After that, we will run through some QC and then see how to proceed.

---

The biggest thing about the domes is the quality. It is so immensely important to get the feeling and rubber right on it.

Once we have good samples, we'll be proceeding, but this is kinda "pending", but I made a little progress.

---

Lastly, in order to alleviate the whole "GB PROCESS", and "WAITING" period, I'll be skipping that here.

In any case, we have a small waiting game for the samples.

---

Some people who will receive the samples as they helped me on the backend for this to get it to where it is today:

- Platabear
- Quakemz
- Thedford
- Gajible
- ?
- ?

I have 70 domes of each total, and they get 10 each.

---

I hope this update is substantial enough, as I want to state that manufacturers are a dime a dozen, and hopefully we're closing in the one that can provide us the amazing feels that we desire.
Thanks for the update jchan. Can't wait to try both bke and 55g.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 04:16:05 by arninja21 »

Offline drevyek

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 22:59:48 »
Great update jchan!

I'd be interested in who they are, the manufacturers: are they run-of-the-mill, garbage-heap rubber dome fabs that are trying something new; more akin to Plum with an already established pseudo-topre process; or fully out of left field?

I'd wonder if some of these companies are looking for an easy way into the Topresque scene? Or just some contract work on the side?

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 03:18:01 »
Topresque
Nice neologism! Three languages in one word! I wonder what the record is for the most languages combined into a single word...

Offline menuhin

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 14:29:27 »
Wow, it's moving forward! :D
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 15:18:21 »
I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a BKE-2010 I found, but these damned things are getting expensive.. is immediate gratification worth 3x the cost? :D
D
keyboards.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 16:38:01 »
I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a BKE-2010 I found, but these damned things are getting expensive.. is immediate gratification worth 3x the cost? :D
D

In the long run, no, probably not. Short run, absolutely. If you decide you don't want it, I would appreciate if you pointed me to where I can buy it...  :))

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 19:28:55 »
D

In the long run, no, probably not. Short run, absolutely. If you decide you don't want it, I would appreciate if you pointed me to where I can buy it...  :))

There's one on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-BKE-2010-Editing-Keyboard-Great-Condition-/132311104347?hash=item1ece5b3b5b:g:xGcAAOSwXf9ZpYlj

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 19:58:13 »
D

There's one on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-BKE-2010-Editing-Keyboard-Great-Condition-/132311104347?hash=item1ece5b3b5b:g:xGcAAOSwXf9ZpYlj

Yes and the exact same one is listed on Craigslist but the seller won't respond to any communication. Seems fishy. That's not the one I'm eyeing
keyboards.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 04:13:56 »
What do people do after they have harvested the domes from these Sony BKE?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 12:32:51 »

Dome swap to HHKBs mostly

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 12:53:13 »

Dome swap to HHKBs mostly

Yeah, I've seen those and the FC660C the most. Haven't really seen any done on Realforces, but I'm sure they are out there.

Unless menuhin meant what is done with the leftover Sony board - in that case, usually nothing lol.