Author Topic: Topre Dome Replacements (Complete? Wasn't a GB tho.)  (Read 206647 times)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Re: [IC] Topre Dome Replacements
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 17:59:29 »
Awesome!
What is availability like? The tester is only a good idea if there are still domes left to buy after you test them, and I have a feeling these will go quickly.

And the springs add 5-10g? Making the heavies close to 70g, and lights 60g?

Springs add 5g.  You don't need to worry about not being able to get any.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 18:01:12 »
Kind of interested, but when would they be shipped considering everything?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 18:03:40 »

We're clearing everything up soon.

We have other things coming in, but the bigger projects (m65a, 1965) are left up to me, where the store (retail like this, and stock we have on hand) is handled by my employee.

Cheers, thanks Xondat. GL on your gb btw.

edit for Clarity: Retail is immediately available and ships in 1-3 business days after purchase. This includes domes, and other sets we have on hand.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 18:05:05 »

We're clearing everything up soon.

We have other things coming in, but the bigger projects (m65a, 1965) are left up to me, where the store (retail like this, and stock we have on hand) is handled by my employee.

Cheers, thanks Xondat. GL on your gb btw.

edit for Clarity: Retail is immediately available and ships in 1-3 business days after purchase. This includes domes, and other sets we have on hand.

Okay thanks for clarifying.

Thanks, and GL too.

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 19:14:22 »
Dang nice that this is all coming along so well. Would there be an option for me to buy a set of 70 lights and 5 heavys? Would like to try the heavy on the spacebar like you were saying and possibly on some other mods.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 19:25:32 »

Have you tried either dome in an HHKB?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 19:26:36 »
Show Image

I only use a HHKB :))

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #257 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 19:27:02 »
Dang nice that this is all coming along so well. Would there be an option for me to buy a set of 70 lights and 5 heavys? Would like to try the heavy on the spacebar like you were saying and possibly on some other mods.

I think you'll have to grab the sample + 70 pack.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 19:34:34 »
Show Image

Ah, ok.  How would you say the BKE HHKB feels compared to the metal plate topre boards? 

Offline Wolf123rt

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:01:49 »
What do the BKE domes feel like? I was told by someone that they just feel like stiff topre domes, and that his old topre board feels similar.

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:14:57 »
Is there anywhere that sells replacement topre springs? With the upcoming dome swap I want to have a few spare on hand

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:41:30 »
What do the BKE domes feel like? I was told by someone that they just feel like stiff topre domes, and that his old topre board feels similar.

It's hard to describe, but it's just a huge bump that is so satisfying to hear and feel.

I would characterize that they are "stiffer", but that's a quality that makes them so tactile as well.

People who own older topre boards do say that the the domes do feel stiffer. This is something that people reported about older HHKB boards, compared to newer production models of the HHKB. But BKE is just different.

It's ineffable really.

Show Image

Ah, ok.  How would you say the BKE HHKB feels compared to the metal plate topre boards? 

I'll have to ask around, as my realforce is kinda rektd.

Is there anywhere that sells replacement topre springs? With the upcoming dome swap I want to have a few spare on hand

Unfortunately, nope :(.

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 00:20:15 »
Big Update:

The Light versions came in and they are 100% satisfactory for me.

I've made a payment for everything and the domes arrive for retail before 11/11 (make a wish).

Pricing

Topre Domes Samples (5 light, 5 heavy)- $10
Topre Domes Light - 25 units - $18
Topre Domes Light - 70 units - $50
Topre Domes Light - 110 units - $66
Topre Domes Heavy - 25 units - $18
Topre Domes Heavy - 70 units - $50
Topre Domes Heavy - 110 units - $66

My Personal Review

BKE Light (Will be Light Grey)
- Nice Tactile Bump.
- Closer to OEM BKE
- Around 50G (without spring)

I really like this one. This is the one I'm going to role with (except the spacebar), because of how light I need the switch to be.

BKE Heavy (Will be Black)
- Bigger Tactile Bump, very sharp tactile
- Around 60G (without spring)
- This is probably the most tactile dome you'll ever try, ever.

I like this one for the spacebar, but the dome is a little too heavy for me for regular keys. It will definitely bring fatigue for me. For reference, I use 67g springs normally (linear or tactile). Needs to be silenced. It's loud as heck.

I recommend the light version if you're looking for a good conversion, but if you're looking for a crazy tactile experience, go with the heavies. There is a sample pack that will be available as well so you can try it out.

NGL: the mod is extremely annoying to do.

What an update! Really pumped on this. Thanks for keeping the fire burning on this one over the summer. Looking forward to these and the store stock.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
Re: [IC] Topre Dome Replacements (BKE Redux)
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 10:47:49 »
This is awesome! Not that I mind, but just to be clear, are you scrapping the idea of heavier "regular" domes and going with just the BKE variant?

Either way, I'm definitely going to get a set for my Norbatouch. Torn as to whether I should go with all light (which will still be a little heavier than stock), light alphas and heavy mods, all heavy, or all light with just a single heavy for the spacebar like jchan is going to do. And maybe I need to get some for my FC660C...
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Trente

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:47:52 »
Big Update:

The Light versions came in and they are 100% satisfactory for me.

I've made a payment for everything and the domes arrive for retail before 11/11 (make a wish).

Pricing

Topre Domes Light - 25 units - $18
Topre Domes Light - 70 units - $50
Topre Domes Light - 110 units - $66
Topre Domes Heavy - 25 units - $18
Topre Domes Heavy - 70 units - $50
Topre Domes Heavy - 110 units - $66

My Personal Review

BKE Light (Will be Light Grey)
- Nice Tactile Bump.
- Closer to OEM BKE
- Around 50G (without spring)

I really like this one. This is the one I'm going to role with (except the spacebar), because of how light I need the switch to be.

BKE Heavy (Will be Black)
- Bigger Tactile Bump, very sharp tactile
- Around 60G (without spring)
- This is probably the most tactile dome you'll ever try, ever.

I like this one for the spacebar, but the dome is a little too heavy for me for regular keys. It will definitely bring fatigue for me. For reference, I use 67g springs normally (linear or tactile). Needs to be silenced. It's loud as heck.

I recommend the light version if you're looking for a good conversion, but if you're looking for a crazy tactile experience, go with the heavies. There is a sample pack that will be available as well so you can try it out.

Great Price! Hope be able to get my hands on them soon!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 19:42:46 »
This is awesome! Not that I mind, but just to be clear, are you scrapping the idea of heavier "regular" domes and going with just the BKE variant?

Either way, I'm definitely going to get a set for my Norbatouch. Torn as to whether I should go with all light (which will still be a little heavier than stock), light alphas and heavy mods, all heavy, or all light with just a single heavy for the spacebar like jchan is going to do. And maybe I need to get some for my FC660C...

the 55g project is particularly interesting. We're still refining the shape, and the stiffness, but we just can't seem to get the feel correct.

We're still working on it, and we're on our 7th or so engineering sample. Hope it goes somewhere, but it's currently in a limbo state until we get it correct.

Offline boxfrommoon

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 02:40:13 »
I have a Novatouch, added hypersphere rings and lube to it just like you would with any other topre board. Waiting on my Norbauer case. The domes are of similar design as any of the other topre boards, so there should be no issues doing a dome swap to improve the feel. I'm actually looking forward to this project because of my novatouch more so than my FC660C, since I love the sound and feel of that board so much already. The novatouch needs a little "something" though, and I think the dome swap will do wonders for it.

I'm in a similar boat. I added Hypersphere rings to my NT almost two years ago, and it totally transformed the board into one I never plan on selling/trading away. If I had one complaint, it's that I wish it were a tad heavier feel when typing on it. Enter these lovely replacement domes :) I'm planning on timing the swapping to my first Norbauer case so that I can do a dome swap at the same time (might as well do a light lube job while I'm at it). Quite stoked :D

I have an exact same situation with my NovaTouch. It is Hypersphere'd, Norbauer case coming later this year and not yet lubed. I also have a HHKB and I have to say that because of the tactility the HHKB just feels much better than NovaTouch. NT switches feel almost like linear compared to HHKB. Could these domes be answer to make NT feel more like HHKB?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 02:47:13 »
I have a Novatouch, added hypersphere rings and lube to it just like you would with any other topre board. Waiting on my Norbauer case. The domes are of similar design as any of the other topre boards, so there should be no issues doing a dome swap to improve the feel. I'm actually looking forward to this project because of my novatouch more so than my FC660C, since I love the sound and feel of that board so much already. The novatouch needs a little "something" though, and I think the dome swap will do wonders for it.

I'm in a similar boat. I added Hypersphere rings to my NT almost two years ago, and it totally transformed the board into one I never plan on selling/trading away. If I had one complaint, it's that I wish it were a tad heavier feel when typing on it. Enter these lovely replacement domes :) I'm planning on timing the swapping to my first Norbauer case so that I can do a dome swap at the same time (might as well do a light lube job while I'm at it). Quite stoked :D

I have an exact same situation with my NovaTouch. It is Hypersphere'd, Norbauer case coming later this year and not yet lubed. I also have a HHKB and I have to say that because of the tactility the HHKB just feels much better than NovaTouch. NT switches feel almost like linear compared to HHKB. Could these domes be answer to make NT feel more like HHKB?

The Novatouch, oh mean - talk about discontinued. It feels like forever ago since I saw that board lol.

In any case, I hope so. Definitely try out the sample pack if you're looking to try it out, but I'd definitely say it's a likely solution to your linear feels issue.

The tactility on these are bananas :p

Offline boxfrommoon

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 03:02:58 »
The Novatouch, oh mean - talk about discontinued. It feels like forever ago since I saw that board lol.

In any case, I hope so. Definitely try out the sample pack if you're looking to try it out, but I'd definitely say it's a likely solution to your linear feels issue.

Awesome! As being from EU I think I will just go straight for the lighter version set. It can get little expensive just to try out samples.
Can't wait get my hands on these!

Offline Gajible

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 04:18:45 »

Awesome! As being from EU I think I will just go straight for the lighter version set. It can get little expensive just to try out samples.
Can't wait get my hands on these!

Having used the OG BKE domes in a Novatouch, I can tell you they won't make it feel like an HHKB. They'll be a heck of a lot more tactile, and it'll feel amazing.  :thumb:

Offline dante

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:59:33 »

the 55g project is particularly interesting. We're still refining the shape, and the stiffness, but we just can't seem to get the feel correct.

We're still working on it, and we're on our 7th or so engineering sample. Hope it goes somewhere, but it's currently in a limbo state until we get it correct.

The part I don't understand is why are you trying to copy the standard 55g domes?  Every review I've seen of the BKE says they are a dramatic improvement over Topre.

Are there people who prefer stock 55g over BKE?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:08:26 »
So are we still doing OG Topre replica domes or are we going ahead exclusively with BKE replica domes? I'd like to get some of both types if possible, because variety is the spice of life!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 08:22:01 »

The part I don't understand is why are you trying to copy the standard 55g domes?  Every review I've seen of the BKE says they are a dramatic improvement over Topre.

I prefer stock 55g over bke. Bke are too tactile and feel weird. It's a super sharp feeling bump then a quick collapsing feeling. Stock domes feel smoother and more drawn out. Much more pleasing.  I can only imagine how insane the reproduction heavy bke domes are gonna be.
keyboards.

Offline Wolf123rt

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 22:08:36 »

I prefer stock 55g over bke. Bke are too tactile and feel weird. It's a super sharp feeling bump then a quick collapsing feeling. Stock domes feel smoother and more drawn out. Much more pleasing.  I can only imagine how insane the reproduction heavy bke domes are gonna be.

Now I don't know if I want 55g or BKE heavy

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 01:11:11 »
I really don't want to miss out on this. Is there a recommended way to subscribe for updates? Or to get a notification when I can buy?

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this. Plan on getting a bunch of light and heavy, just in case I like one more than the other.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 02:08:13 »
I really don't want to miss out on this. Is there a recommended way to subscribe for updates? Or to get a notification when I can buy?

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this. Plan on getting a bunch of light and heavy, just in case I like one more than the other.

Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate the kind words mate.

You can sign up for our mailing list - https://goo.gl/LiKLZN

But in any case, you won't have anything to miss because we will have a flowing stock of this.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #276 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 02:31:39 »
Keep up the effort, jchan! I appreciate the work you've put into this.

I have a norbatouch build i've been setting aside until your domes are dunzo. Your domes will be the final touch :)

Offline typischt

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 02:42:32 »

Can someone elaborate a bit what exactly is annoying about it? And is it only annoying or also kinda hard to do (for a not so experienced user like me..)?

Anyways, really looking forward to this, I think I will try out both versions.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 02:59:04 »

Can someone elaborate a bit what exactly is annoying about it? And is it only annoying or also kinda hard to do (for a not so experienced user like me..)?

they dome we have developed are individual units. So that means, they are each made 1 key.

Typically, the domes are in "sheets", that can be installed or swapped easily.

So this mod is a tad cumbersome honestly. I think I'll have to make a good tutorial on how to do it to save people time.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #279 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 16:15:52 »

You can sign up for our mailing list - https://goo.gl/LiKLZN

But in any case, you won't have anything to miss because we will have a flowing stock of this.

Thanks! All signed up. Happy to hear this won't be as limited as I anticipated.

I plan on slapping these on a Seasonic Realforce RGB with JTK MX sliders and a GMK set. I'll report here my experience in switching them out and typing on them.

So this mod is a tad cumbersome honestly. I think I'll have to make a good tutorial on how to do it to save people time.

That would be excellent!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2017, 16:19:24 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #280 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 17:34:10 »

I happen to have a **** load of spares, I'm happy to send you some for the price of postage

« Reply #281 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 17:36:40 »
Awesome, thanks. I’ll be in touch

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #282 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 22:20:02 »

they dome we have developed are individual units. So that means, they are each made 1 key.

Typically, the domes are in "sheets", that can be installed or swapped easily.

It isn't too bad if you suspend the board upside down, place the domes in and then the springs
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Enoch

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 14:30:21 »
Has anyone tried the bke domes with in a Type-S?

How is the volume and feel compared to non Type-S?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #284 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 21:45:27 »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick-o update on what is happening.

Our production mold is finished. What does that mean? That means, that the mold that will be making all of the domes is complete, and we're going into production sampling to double check the integrity of the mold and compare them with our pre-production samples.

After we verify that is good to go, we will go into production. Currently, we are on track for everything to arrive before 11/10.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #285 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 23:56:14 »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick-o update on what is happening.

Our production mold is finished. What does that mean? That means, that the mold that will be making all of the domes is complete, and we're going into production sampling to double check the integrity of the mold and compare them with our pre-production samples.

After we verify that is good to go, we will go into production. Currently, we are on track for everything to arrive before 11/10.

thanks bud
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #286 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 01:05:07 »
****ing yes!!!! This is going to be epic! Been waiting for such things. This will be great for the community as well. Tired of people charging $4 per dome  Jchan94 Keep up the good work! looking forward to this

On a side note, I like heavy switches. Currently using some cherrystotles with 85g springs. Do you think I would like the heavy version of this over the light version? I could not stand how light the novatouch felt and how liner they were . I like a bump and I like a tad bit of pressure. As you can tell from the switches in my main board , I like loud switches as well.. What would you guys recommend?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #287 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 12:47:35 »
People charge $4/dome because bke units usually sell for over $200 these days.
keyboards.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #288 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 16:11:04 »
****ing yes!!!! This is going to be epic! Been waiting for such things. This will be great for the community as well. Tired of people charging $4 per dome  Jchan94 Keep up the good work! looking forward to this

On a side note, I like heavy switches. Currently using some cherrystotles with 85g springs. Do you think I would like the heavy version of this over the light version? I could not stand how light the novatouch felt and how liner they were . I like a bump and I like a tad bit of pressure. As you can tell from the switches in my main board , I like loud switches as well.. What would you guys recommend?

Definitely try the heavies then. They're unapologetically loud.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 17:23:13 »
Show Image

I don't know what this is supposed to mean... but I agree.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 10:12:16 »
I may have missed it, but what are the actual measurements of 'heavy' and 'light'?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline clickstops

« Reply #291 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:34:49 »
He says, a few posts above, 50g and 60g respectively, without springs. So, 55g and 65g.

Separately -- I'm really curious to try these. 65g "BKE" vs alps orange is going to be really interesting since they sound quite similar.

Offline drevyek

« Reply #292 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:51:28 »
Orange Alps peak at 60g, and I feel they're a bit closer to 55g usually than 65g. It'll certainly be interesting, especially with the sharper tactility.

I love my FC980, but the 45g is really light. Coming from Orange Alps (with 50g springs), I'm really looking forward to these.

https://plot.ly/~haata/297

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #293 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 09:09:35 »
Orange Alps peak at 60g, and I feel they're a bit closer to 55g usually than 65g. It'll certainly be interesting, especially with the sharper tactility.

I love my FC980, but the 45g is really light. Coming from Orange Alps (with 50g springs), I'm really looking forward to these.

See I'm really at a cross road here. I have my rf87u domes in my HHKB and I love it. So I'm debating between something new and something safe. Would samples be an option before we buy 100+ sets?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 10:42:20 »
keyboards.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 14:30:57 »

Definitely try the sample pack to help make a better purchasing decision mate.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #296 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 17:02:01 »
Jchan, are you able to give feedback on how these domes feel compared to the oeiginal, manufacturer BKE domes?

Sorry if that was already asked and answered.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #297 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 17:45:09 »
Jchan, are you able to give feedback on how these domes feel compared to the oeiginal, manufacturer BKE domes?

Sorry if that was already asked and answered.

they feel very good compared to the carbon foot bke.
i like them a lot. i would say they are almost the same but with the bonus of different weights.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 07:30:32 »
Is it only me that needs a lighter version from current HHKB? Damn my weak fingers :p

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #299 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 10:40:59 »
Just saw this thread for the first time and am delighted to learn of its existence. I'm a dainty-fingered 30g-dome lightweight, and currently I have to resort to buying JIS boards and stealing the domes. I'd love to see that process get easier (and less expensive) by being able to obtain just domes.