Author Topic: [GB] XDA Milestone - Complete  (Read 137785 times)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Re: [GB] XDA Milestone - A New Keycap Profile.
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 10:50:46 »
Already bought in for a regular set, force awakens, extras, and a spacebar so this doesn't change my decision to get in on this new profile, very excited to try it. But I'm just wondering which profile is it most similar too? From the renders looks closer to a dsa

you can find a comparison made by lunarisdream here - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84453.0

my samples of SAKURA will arrive on Tues/Wednesday and I will post the review on Reddit and post some images here as well.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 11:25:33 »
1. 6.25

By the way, on the order page, the "Spacebars" warnings were a nice touch :)

I really fancy a purple force awakens set

My question:

On the sample photos, the top row with 1! 2@ 3# could use a small bit of improvement in terms of sizing and spacing, are such improvements planned for this GB? (Other than this minor detail, they are perfect, Also, I assumed, they are actual keycaps and not renders in the photos, since there are fibers on the keycaps etc.) - all in all, they are beauties

what improvements are you looking for? :D

My humble opinions:

i) @ should be changed completely, it's the legend that amplifies the issues I mentioned, it should be replaced with a better spaced @, the current one's "a" is too big, the loop passes too close to the "a"
ii) !@#$%^&* Shouldn't lean to the top of the keycap that close, a slightly higher spacing could make the set look much leaner

Basically, summarising my suggestions, there is nothing wrong with adopting the awesome sizing dynamics of SP DSA, comparing both sets, for the XDA, only the top row screams

Secondary worry:

A lot of people like me notice issues like these, I'm just noticing issues on a surface level, some even analyse the fonts, kerning, sizing, width etc. and make suggestions free of charge, I think, if we involve those members at this point, we can turn XDA into something truly unique

I sold all my DSA sets and moved onto GMK, even with DSA's ABS sets, some unnecessary variations were bothering me at extremes

The issue, while: http://imgur.com/a/3vDK3 looks perfect, and it would be perfect for regular TKL, full-size keyboards, I think the font-sizing is different for UP/LEFT/DOWN/RIGHT/INS/HOME/F1/F2... etc. - and ESC/ENTER/BACKSPACE/ALT/TAB etc. (I didn't compare in detail, but looking at the photo, CONTROL looks like it has a bigger font-size then LEFT)

So while these keycaps are all on the same profile/row, they can't be mixed, if one cares for differences like these

SP's ABS DSA was a mess, but, SP's PBT DSA is actually pretty consistent where the keycap area allows

So even if the decision is different with XDA, learning more about the process would be nice
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 21:24:44 »
I know the GB is closing in a few days but I thought I'd ask...
Any chance of including a set of blanks in the GB?

I don't think the text modifiers will go well with Aurebesh or Elvish. :)
Icon mods like those from Granite would be ideal, but blanks would be the next best thing.
I was planning on just getting the Ergodox set, but then I realized there aren't any 1.25u caps in it.
I think the ideal set would be 2 1.75u, 2 1.5u, 8 1.25u, and 2 1u... or something like that should cover everyone.

Thanks!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 10:52:33 »
I know the GB is closing in a few days but I thought I'd ask...
Any chance of including a set of blanks in the GB?

I don't think the text modifiers will go well with Aurebesh or Elvish. :)
Icon mods like those from Granite would be ideal, but blanks would be the next best thing.
I was planning on just getting the Ergodox set, but then I realized there aren't any 1.25u caps in it.
I think the ideal set would be 2 1.75u, 2 1.5u, 8 1.25u, and 2 1u... or something like that should cover everyone.

Thanks!

No blanks offered unfortunately, sorry!

Aside from that, I have noted all the concerns to the designers of the set. However, I have also taken into consideration that we have to respect the designers that are involved in this project and for their choice of the fonts and such used in this. This same idea can be seen as how we respect the original designers of the Cherry font / machining. With that, no changes will be made to the current fonts that appear on the keycaps themselves. Still, we have noted changes to the kits with misplaced legends, as those are errors that had were overlooked.

Lastly, transit says that I will receive the samples on tuesday/wednesday. We will be extending the buy a few days in order to allow an ample amount of time for you to see the quality and comparison of the dye sub of the Sakura set.

Offline mll8394

• I regret joining this hobby :/
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 23:26:50 »

No blanks offered unfortunately, sorry!

Aside from that, I have noted all the concerns to the designers of the set. However, I have also taken into consideration that we have to respect the designers that are involved in this project and for their choice of the fonts and such used in this. This same idea can be seen as how we respect the original designers of the Cherry font / machining. With that, no changes will be made to the current fonts that appear on the keycaps themselves. Still, we have noted changes to the kits with misplaced legends, as those are errors that had were overlooked.

Lastly, transit says that I will receive the samples on tuesday/wednesday. We will be extending the buy a few days in order to allow an ample amount of time for you to see the quality and comparison of the dye sub of the Sakura set.

Please extend the GB til' next week. Need to see them sakura samples first  ;D :D :))
"Converting Oxygen into CO2 24/7"

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 20:13:20 »

I guess you want the actual fn legend to be there so that it fits the board 100% but they do offer blanks for this set in pretty much every single size, if you aren't too fussed about that then you could just get a 1.75u blank (not sure if JChan has those available but they're somewhere on taobao, like $2 per key so if something goes wrong it's not the end of the world).

I would love if someone could find these blanks.  That site is basically unnavigable to me. 
keyboards.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 06:04:28 »
Looks like DHL decided to let it go to through LA customs, then reroute it to Alaska, the back to LA.

It looks like it'll be delivered to me today.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 07:24:57 »
Looks like DHL decided to let it go to through LA customs, then reroute it to Alaska, the back to LA.

It looks like it'll be delivered to me today.

They had to flash freeze the caps.

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 08:13:13 »
Irl image hype!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 20:32:12 »
Micro Review

XDA is quite an interesting profile. It has more surface area than DSA, and is close to Cherry M8 keycap profiles. The texture is different than most PBT sets. Its more textured, and I personally like that more. It gives you more grip in a sense. I'm still getting used to it, but I do recommend it for the price point that it is offered at. The dye sub job is AMAZING. I highly recommend checking out the Sakura set personally. The mountain is just hard to pass up personally. I personally prefer this over DSA, but I still do not like uniform profile personally (unless SA R3)

Here are some photos of the Sakura Dye subs.

SA R1, R2, R3, R4, DSA PBT, and XDA.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 20:43:23 »

Simply amazing

Sakura is truly a masterpiece, I like simple keycaps, I was thinking of buying the Force Awakens set, or maybe a simple alpha/modifier combo, but seeing the aligned legends of the Sakura alphas ... I don't know

What is the deadline by the way?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 20:44:39 »

Simply amazing

Sakura is truly a masterpiece, I like simple keycaps, I was thinking of buying the Force Awakens set, or maybe a simple alpha/modifier combo, but seeing the aligned legends of the Sakura alphas ... I don't know

What is the deadline by the way?

Woops! Forgot to change that here.

Extended to end of Dec 7 PST!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 20:53:44 »
I think it might be a good idea to add the deadline to the GB title too, I don't think this GB gets the attention it deserves, adding the deadline to the title might bring more eyes in, and after they see the awesomeness, I don't think they would miss this

As a very tiny additional feedback, maybe for future GB's, while the modifier selection is the most diverse I've seen, the only one with 1.75/1.25/1.25/1.25 arrows that I love to use, the 1.75 keycap selection for the capslock slot is a bit limited, I use that spot as a secondary FN layer, while most other spots have 1-2 alternatives, for the 1.75 spot, the only alternative seems to be "Control", not even an "Fn", a 1.75 "System" might be interesting, for mouse control, system control etc.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 21:01:10 »
Woops! Forgot to change that here.

Extended to end of Dec 7 PST!

The Sakura samples look really good, JC, thank you for posting those so that everyone can see - I'm even more excited for the set now that I see the dye sub is done properly. Hopefully the buy clips with the JC65 for like a couple days toward the end? Either way, I'm so happy there are no real problems with the sample they sent, I'm way more confident buying in now.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 21:35:39 »
I think it might be a good idea to add the deadline to the GB title too, I don't think this GB gets the attention it deserves, adding the deadline to the title might bring more eyes in, and after they see the awesomeness, I don't think they would miss this

As a very tiny additional feedback, maybe for future GB's, while the modifier selection is the most diverse I've seen, the only one with 1.75/1.25/1.25/1.25 arrows that I love to use, the 1.75 keycap selection for the capslock slot is a bit limited, I use that spot as a secondary FN layer, while most other spots have 1-2 alternatives, for the 1.75 spot, the only alternative seems to be "Control", not even an "Fn", a 1.75 "System" might be interesting, for mouse control, system control etc.

Definitely hearing you out on that. The kits were already setup when I got into the project, but if there's a chance to improve the kits, I will throw your feedback into it.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
Re: [GB] XDA Milestone - ENDS DECEMBER 7. PHOTOS ADDED.
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 03:33:48 »
Just 3 more days to go :).

Join if you can. Extras will be available in limited quantities and bundled together most likely.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 14:19:44 »
There should be a meet-up when they are ready to ship so peeps can check them out and locals can pick up their sets to avoid shipping.  :D

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 22:39:05 »
Micro Review

XDA is quite an interesting profile. It has more surface area than DSA, and is close to Cherry M8 keycap profiles. The texture is different than most PBT sets. Its more textured, and I personally like that more. It gives you more grip in a sense. I'm still getting used to it, but I do recommend it for the price point that it is offered at. The dye sub job is AMAZING. I highly recommend checking out the Sakura set personally. The mountain is just hard to pass up personally. I personally prefer this over DSA, but I still do not like uniform profile personally (unless SA R3)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I... regretted not joining (my plan is to get Sakura and Middle Earth)  :-X
but now I cannot, my HDDs decided that they're going to die :blank:. (and other problems  :( )

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 01:50:49 »
Micro Review

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I... regretted not joining (my plan is to get Sakura and Middle Earth)  :-X
but now I cannot, my HDDs decided that they're going to die :blank:. (and other problems  :( )

Damn! Better get on that data recovery! I suggest getting a NAS! I'm currently on FreeNAS, but want to switch to Unraid :)

Offline Phenix

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 03:13:38 »
can you estimate when/if an R2 comes?
I want to hear some opinions first, as I if I order get some kits to support all my different layouts (and I need an international kit)
Winter is coming.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 03:35:06 »
can you estimate when/if an R2 comes?
I want to hear some opinions first, as I if I order get some kits to support all my different layouts (and I need an international kit)

!) only when R1 is done.

2) opinions on what?

Offline Freed

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 04:39:39 »
Hello jchan94,

in the international kit all is good for ISO french, except that i don't find the keycap with $ £ symbols  :(
Is it an oversight ?

Offline poolside

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 15:56:34 »
Does the 6u spacebar have a centered middle-stem?

Offline deacon

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 17:39:49 »
Thank you for bringing this together.
Does the Small Engine kit have concave or convex 2u caps? Would one have to add a 2u space bar to get a 2u convex cap?

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 06:41:37 »
Looking forward to hear how the numbers are looking, in for 11 kits, Lets hope these caps will come out fine, on time :)

Offline pon10

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 06:44:15 »
Does the 6u spacebar have a centered middle-stem?

Its must have!?

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 06:45:07 »
Looking forward to hear how the numbers are looking, in for 11 kits, Lets hope these caps will come out fine, on time :)
11?!

Offline tomboy

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 06:47:46 »
Fingers crossed for a Hylian set for R2!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 08:08:30 »
Fingers crossed for a Hylian set for R2!

Show Image

That's a job for DSA Forare! Would be much more fitting there with the colours JChan designed.

Offline pon10

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 08:32:49 »
11?!

haha but but

1 kit only to cover the 1.75 shift.. which is what it is.. my options is international ISO 60% or 65% or a tkl layout + a macro pad  :D for my caps needs thats seems like a goood price! Around 180 for that full set to cover so many options :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 December 2016, 08:36:54 by pon10 »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 09:36:13 »
Indeed 180 for that much coverage is not that bad

I think, when you said 11 kits, it got understood a bit like 11x base kits :D - at least that's how I thought it was

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 09:48:45 »
Paypal is acting up again -.- Let's hope it will be fixed before the time is up.

Edit: FINALLY got it to work... the PayPal exchange rates are pretty bad right now, this ended up costing more than most GMK sets :confused:
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 December 2016, 12:57:58 by kawasaki161 »

Offline JDragon

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 22:59:34 »
Ok after seeing those pics I think I need some Sakura in my life. The weeb within still lives. Best way to add on to my order? Place another one and request combined shipping?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 23:05:17 »
Ok after seeing those pics I think I need some Sakura in my life. The weeb within still lives. Best way to add on to my order? Place another one and request combined shipping?

Make a new order and request combined shipping via ticket :).

Offline pon10

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 00:17:54 »
Indeed 180 for that much coverage is not that bad

I think, when you said 11 kits, it got understood a bit like 11x base kits :D - at least that's how I thought it was

That would be a little crazy, yes haha. :) ordered a set yourself?

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 December 2016, 00:33:17 by pon10 »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 01:57:27 »
In normal circumstances, I 100% would, yet, I've stopped most of my personal expenditures, instead I'm spending money on a game I'm developing, after having to invest money on external art work, and experiencing how bad it feels, I can't spend money on myself any more - the perfection of the Sakura set also didn't help, I was going to get middle-aligned keycaps, now I can't, I saw that left-aligned legends on spherical keycaps work, I can't go back now

Like many others, I'm going to get one XDA set at one point tho

(Another edge suggestion for a future set: $10-$20 (worst case) single custom legended keycaps, instead of paying $200 for a full set that covers all my weird layouts, I would rather spend $20 for 5 keycaps - and $100 for all the weird extras I need - but get them exactly how I want - It might work with long lead times, I don't think anyone would mind waiting 1-2 months - as far as I understand, the organisers of the XDA set has this agility) (No offence to anyone, I also spent illogical amounts for 1-2 keycaps multiple times in the past)

Edit: Thanks jchan, means a lot, hope your endeavors go well too, I really wanted to join this one, yet life hit me hard recently
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 December 2016, 06:33:55 by KHAANNN »

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 05:29:53 »
In normal circumstances, I 100% would, yet, I've stopped most of my personal expenditures, instead I'm spending money on a game I'm developing, after having to invest money on external art work, and experiencing how bad it feels, I can't spend money on myself any more - the perfection of the Sakura set also didn't help, I was going to get middle-aligned keycaps, now I can't, I saw that left-aligned legends on spherical keycaps work, I can't go back now

Like many others, I'm going to get one XDA set at one point tho

(Another edge suggestion for a future set: $10-$20 (worst case) single custom legended keycaps, instead of paying $200 for a full set that covers all my weird layouts, I would rather spend $20 for 5 keycaps - and $100 for all the weird extras I need - but get them exactly how I want - It might work with long lead times, I don't think anyone would mind waiting 1-2 months - as far as I understand, the organisers of the XDA set has this agility) (No offence to anyone, I also spent illogical amounts for 1-2 keycaps multiple times in the past)

Hope the game goes well mate.

Lastly, reminder that the gb ends today.

Offline PrpnNightmare

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 15:49:36 »
Bought in on these for the K-Type (whenever it ends up being released). Hope the XDA profile is a winner for me!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 23:30:19 »
In for a set.  Like the options the rgb addon affords.  The supplied compatibility chart is certainly lacking though.  Triple checked just to make sure I got everything! :thumb:
keyboards.

Offline tbe

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 02:02:46 »
Ordered sets for two TKL ISO-NO boards. Can't wait for them to arrive!

The only key I really missed was a Hyper key to sit next to Super and Meta. And Greek and Symbol, hehe.

Didn't go for the Icon pack since there was only one key in there I might have used (the SMB mushroom).
Would have loved to decorate those useless print/lock/pause keys. Padlock and coffee cup come to mind.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 03:30:55 »
Thanks for joining in everyone.

I'm leaving it open for a few more hours to allow people to join in and not say "wow I missed it!!"

Hope you have the opportunity to join.

Offline JackieOReally

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 04:28:38 »
I bought a full set of the standard keys (not cheap at $150 AUD) But now  having massive regrets for not getting the Sakura instead :(

Offline pon10

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 06:03:05 »
I bought a full set of the standard keys (not cheap at $150 AUD) But now  having massive regrets for not getting the Sakura instead :(

Looks like its still open! ;)

Offline pon10

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 06:04:33 »
when will the MOQ be posted?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 06:18:13 »
No moq required.

Priced as is.

Closing it when I wake up in 7 or so hours.

Offline pon10

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 07:28:06 »
No moq required.

Priced as is.

Ok so every kit is being produced without a minimum quantity?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 07:32:21 »
No moq required.

Priced as is.

If you wait for an answer from him you won't be able to order anymore. But to answer your question: yes everything that is listed is available for order and will be produced.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:20:32 »
Just got in in the nick of time.  First time ever buying a "real" keycap set so I'm equal parts excited and sickened at how much money I just spent (going balls to the wall and will be decking out an HHKB and 23U which unfortunately required a large number of kits to cover, and I got a couple extras like the TKL/function sets in case I decide to sell it (figure it'll be easier to sell if I have everything others will want) or go back to TKL/full).  When I decided to convert my HHKB/23U to cherry-compatible stems the plan was to wait and go granite, but these were not only available to get in on now but the hipster in me likes that they're more unique, so here I am.

I forgot why I stopped paying attention to keyboards, it's so easy to spend gobs of money.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2016, 09:23:16 by a_ak57 »

Offline pon10

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 11:51:00 »
No moq required.

Priced as is.

If you wait for an answer from him you won't be able to order anymore. But to answer your question: yes everything that is listed is available for order and will be produced.

Super cool, thanks. Didn't know. with that information. That would only wanna make me come back again to shop. :)

Offline JackieOReally

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 16:36:53 »
I bought the Sakura blacks. Couldn't help myself. Made a ticket to combine shipping.