Author Topic: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS (Complete)  (Read 858489 times)

Offline pr0ximity

Re: [GB] M65-A | Made with RAMA.WORKS
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 07:12:13 »
Has anyone considered stainless steel as an alternative for the plate?

Would it be better or worse than aluminium?

It would be different, not better or worse. It would be very similar to brass. A tad lighter than brass but similar stiffness. Stiffer and heavier than aluminum, which is good if that's what you're looking for. Some give in a plate can also be nice (see: acrylic and polycarb plates).
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #251 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 10:32:14 »
Wow that's a lot of space gray. Looks like my silver case will put me in an exclusive minority.
keyboards.

Offline RubenMcNoobin

« Reply #252 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 16:00:11 »
So this is my first board I'm building from the ground up like this, never worked before with ps2avrGB. Luckily, I found a nice guide (http://imgur.com/a/hzd7r) by quakemz through a jchan94 post. I just wanted to put my thoughts out and see if I'm missing anything.

So if this is pretty much the board I'm getting, the only purchases I NEED are...
  • ~70 Switches (Possibly going with Mod-M switches)
  • Keycaps (GMK Hydro already coming. )
  • USB Cable (custom Hydro cable also incoming)
The RGB underglow is already a soldered part of the board and the top side supports LEDs for the switches, but just simple, single-colored, 2-pin LEDs. Some OPTIONAL expenses are:
  • LEDs (2-pin single-colored ones, 1.8mm size preferred)
  • SIP sockets (easier LED swapping)
Am I missing anything else? I've got all my tried and true soldering equipment and basic tools already at hand so I guess the only thing left to find is some dedicated time to make all this happen in April! And if anyone has recommendations for those LEDs and SIP sockets and where to buy them, I'm all ears.

Silenced Novatouch           K70 RGB          Magicforce-68

Offline kolashnikov

« Reply #253 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 16:59:30 »
So this is my first board I'm building from the ground up like this, never worked before with ps2avrGB. Luckily, I found a nice guide (http://imgur.com/a/hzd7r) by quakemz through a jchan94 post. I just wanted to put my thoughts out and see if I'm missing anything.

So if this is pretty much the board I'm getting, the only purchases I NEED are...
The RGB underglow is already a soldered part of the board and the top side supports LEDs for the switches, but just simple, single-colored, 2-pin LEDs. Some OPTIONAL expenses are:
Am I missing anything else? I've got all my tried and true soldering equipment and basic tools already at hand so I guess the only thing left to find is some dedicated time to make all this happen in April! And if anyone has recommendations for those LEDs and SIP sockets and where to buy them, I'm all ears.

Nice guide, I hadn't seen that before. Everything looks about right to me, but get a few extra switches just in case. I will also note that 2x3x4 square LEDs are often used in mechanical keyboards, but I have some clearance issues with those under GMK keycaps (R2 zealio switches). Since you mentioned hydro it might be safest to go for 1.8mm.

Have fun with your first build!

Offline RubenMcNoobin

« Reply #254 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 17:19:16 »

Nice guide, I hadn't seen that before. Everything looks about right to me, but get a few extra switches just in case. I will also note that 2x3x4 square LEDs are often used in mechanical keyboards, but I have some clearance issues with those under GMK keycaps (R2 zealio switches). Since you mentioned hydro it might be safest to go for 1.8mm.

Yeah, that guide is fantastic! And in a numpad I built a few months ago, I didn't use SIP sockets and instead just put the 2x3x4 square LEDs inside the switch and it was a perfect fit. I understand though, the only reason I put them in there in the first place was a clearance issue. 1.8mm with SIP sockets it is then, thanks for your input!  :thumb:

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #255 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 19:33:15 »
Thanks for everyones amazing patience with this.

We're estimated to get the new Brass switchplate samples sometime next week. They are already made (cutout and what not), and just need to be polished/brushed.

I'll take a few photos of them when they arrive and then i'll stress test them by putting them outside my office for a day or two (it's been raining in LA recently).

I'm sure the humidity and such will cause some reaction. In any case, we'll go with the better of the two options.

edit:

And I got a few questions about this already but we'll also have a few extra plates (in brass and multiple colors) available after everyones shipment has gone out.

This way, you can get extra plates + PCBs and change the layout very easily.

I'll be having the brass plate + PCB made by quakemz again. The layout we're going with is: ISO, Split backspace, and Split Spacebar. More TBD !
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 19:38:07 by jchan94 »
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #256 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 09:12:50 »

Yeah, that guide is fantastic! And in a numpad I built a few months ago, I didn't use SIP sockets and instead just put the 2x3x4 square LEDs inside the switch and it was a perfect fit. I understand though, the only reason I put them in there in the first place was a clearance issue. 1.8mm with SIP sockets it is then, thanks for your input!  :thumb:

Forgot if this gb comes with them or not, but if not you need stabilizers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kolashnikov

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 10:45:08 »

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:54:10 »
Kits come with cherry stabs. See post
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86756.msg2339046#msg2339046

This is correct. We'll have authentic cherry stabs, or possibly gmk screw in one's as they confirm our PO and give us the delivery schedule.

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #259 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 13:37:28 »

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 13:59:03 »
Just paid my invoice, very excited to put together my Hydroboard!

Offline Aperture_Sci

• ZZ96 / 65g Zealios / GMK Sky Dolch
« Reply #261 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 14:17:51 »
Love the blue, didn't get Hydro - wish I could have gotten a blue board :(

Offline doooostin

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 19:07:47 »
Hey, sorry if it was already mentioned (I think it was on the form, but I can't access it anymore), does anyone know the size of the mousepad? Measuring my desk right now, hoping it'll fit haha.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 19:45:21 »
I think it was 900mm x 400mm, so more of a desk mat .

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 20:02:27 »
Hey, sorry if it was already mentioned (I think it was on the form, but I can't access it anymore), does anyone know the size of the mousepad? Measuring my desk right now, hoping it'll fit haha.

900mm x 400mm x 5mm :)

Offline dyoungc

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 23:47:38 »

We're estimated to get the new Brass switchplate samples sometime next week. They are already made (cutout and what not), and just need to be polished/brushed.

I'll take a few photos of them when they arrive and then i'll stress test them by putting them outside my office for a day or two (it's been raining in LA recently).

I'm sure the humidity and such will cause some reaction. In any case, we'll go with the better of the two options.

edit:

And I got a few questions about this already but we'll also have a few extra plates (in brass and multiple colors) available after everyones shipment has gone out.

I'll be having the brass plate + PCB made by quakemz again. The layout we're going with is: ISO, Split backspace, and Split Spacebar. More TBD !

Invoice paid!

About the brass plates and PCBs, does this mean there will be two versions of the plate and PCB? (one set which supports ISO, split backspace/spacebar and one set which doesn't)
I know the standard PCB by winkeyless is part of all orders, and it seems like they don't support split spacebar. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline doooostin

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 02:00:33 »

900mm x 400mm x 5mm :)

It just barely fit my desk...can't wait! :D.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #267 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 20:03:06 »

edit:

Invoice paid!

About the brass plates and PCBs, does this mean there will be two versions of the plate and PCB? (one set which supports ISO, split backspace/spacebar and one set which doesn't)
I know the standard PCB by winkeyless is part of all orders, and it seems like they don't support split spacebar. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

One Plate, One PCB.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 20:35:55 »
Did someone ask for polished brass switch plates? On route to me already.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 20:41:33 »
that looks nice!!!

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:01:37 »
Those polished brass plates look godly. Are those the one's we're getting? (the people who ordered brass)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #271 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:03:40 »
Those polished brass plates look godly. Are those the one's we're getting? (the people who ordered brass)

We're only settling for the best and nothing but the best :thumb:

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:24:53 »
Welp now I wish I ordered a brass plate...

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:31:12 »
Welp now I wish I ordered a brass plate...

:mad: Me. Toooooo

Offline consolelog

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:14:01 »
Yep...same boat. Hope theres extras!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aperture_Sci

• ZZ96 / 65g Zealios / GMK Sky Dolch
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:53:51 »
Hey Jchan,

My order shows I chose a champagne case and champange extra bottom. I wanted silver. Can you please help me and change this. My paypal transaction # was 7PS287361G9248539

Offline Tally810

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 00:25:44 »
Didn't expect that with the brass plate.  He made that 35 well worth.  Instant buyers remorse for not doing it.  I studied that damn form too long and thought too hard lol.

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 02:25:04 »
So glad I just went for the heaviest options that included this gorgeous brass plate! It's killing me to not have the whole thing now

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #278 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 06:09:02 »
Thought we were still waiting to see whether polished or brushed withstood the elements better?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #279 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 10:56:30 »
Ditto on the brass plate regret train! feelsbadman.jpg

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 13:04:14 »
Yeah ill join brass regret as well. I was worried about tarnish but that plate :(

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline RubenMcNoobin

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 13:41:56 »
Any more room on that brass plate Regret Express train? Man, mark me up as another one with regrets for not opting for one, I'd definitely get one now if I could after seeing it!

:(

Offline Malenky

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 15:00:34 »
Champagne with brass plate gonna look so dope. Dope.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #283 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 16:54:51 »
Any more room on that brass plate Regret Express train? Man, mark me up as another one with regrets for not opting for one, I'd definitely get one now if I could after seeing it!

:(

Chooo choo!  I'll just keep telling myself that I won't really see the plate anyway. 

Offline aggroxcraig

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 21:01:26 »
How about those who signed up for the brass plate express?

Choo Choo!

Offline zaerst

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 21:49:48 »
Dang, thought you said the brass plate was too thin to be polished... :(

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #286 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 21:53:05 »
Dang, thought you said the brass plate was too thin to be polished... :(

I asked em to do it anyways, and I'll check it.

In any case, if you're looking for an upgrade.....

Please email me immediately.

jchan@keyclack.com

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 23:02:43 »
What would be the most solid plate? the brass or the alu?, starting to regret the brass to hehe.

Since the mounting of the plate is at the top of the bezel. I imagine that it can "bend/give in" a little if you are having a bad day in front of the screen  :))

I know but it happens :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 23:05:59 by pon10 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #288 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 23:08:16 »
Don't worry, there won't be any "give".  When you combine a pcb with metal plate all bolted to a solid aluminum top like this, it will be a very solid keyboard with no noticeable flex.  My LZ-GH is like that and is very very solid.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 00:00:00 »
Don't worry, there won't be any "give".  When you combine a pcb with metal plate all bolted to a solid aluminum top like this, it will be a very solid keyboard with no noticeable flex.  My LZ-GH is like that and is very very solid.

Cool, thanks!

Offline CamRank1

« Reply #290 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 01:15:55 »
How about those who signed up for the brass plate express?

Choo Choo!

Choo Choo! All Aboard!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 03:38:21 »
Hi everyone,

If you haven't paid your invoice, it will be cancelled tomorrow (January 20th, 6PM PST). I've sent reminders via Paypal already, but looks like many are opting out :P.

Oh well ~ :).

edit1:

Also! I'll have the BRASS plate at the FREMONT meetup! QuakeMZ will take it off my hands and will help me build it with MX whites and such. So hype.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:04:36 by jchan94 »

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:09:36 »
Can you share how many orders were successfully processed atm? I'd say twice the limited number at the start ;)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:20:57 »
Can you share how many orders were successfully processed atm? I'd say twice the limited number at the start ;)

Currently we're at 340/480 :P. Looks like many will miss out

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:53:59 »

Currently we're at 340/480 :P. Looks like many will miss out

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 04:58:47 »
Hi everyone,

If you haven't paid your invoice, it will be cancelled tomorrow (January 20th, 6PM PST). I've sent reminders via Paypal already, but looks like many are opting out :P.

edit1:

Also! I'll have the BRASS plate at the FREMONT meetup! QuakeMZ will take it off my hands and will help me build it with MX whites and such. So hype.

When will the fremont meet up be? is there a thread?
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #296 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 05:04:28 »
Hi everyone,

edit1:

When will the fremont meet up be? is there a thread?

;)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5mbs3r/northern_california_mechanical_keyboard_meetup/

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 05:09:51 »
People keep talking about flex being bad, here I am trying to make some of my boards more flexible...

Doesn't bode well for future buys offering acrylic/polycarb/half plates  :(

Offline oli

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 10:35:27 »
It's official: I've just made the greatest mistake of my life by not staying up to date with GBs. How have I missed this? While some of you appear to be on a Brass Plate Regret Train, I'm solo riding the Rama M65-A Regret Train :'-(

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 10:59:59 »
thatsucks.jpg

Pretty sure there will be a R2 sometime later this year (hopefully for all who missed out)