Author Topic: V2 version Topre Silence Ring  (Read 61737 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
V2 version Topre Silence Ring
« on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 21:31:21 »
Hello I'm just wondering if there's any update regarding the V2 version Topre Silence Rings?

For those who don't know I'm referring to this:  https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfe9T7MFuv1/?hl=en&taken-by=keyclack

Thanks!

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hyde

Re: V2 version Topre Silence Ring
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 12:53:27 »
*bird chirping*

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Velvet_Crowe

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 13:27:22 »
FYI, jchan said he'll be away until 14th so you probably won't get an update until then
Current daily: OTD 356mini v1 (Red) | OTD 356CL (Gunmetal) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Black) | zekk.works Ogre (Dark Grey) | Noxary Vulcan Pro (Silver/Red) | 488 Pista Spider (Red)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 13:45:32 »
lol cool thanks for the heads up!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 15:17:28 »
Hi,

So the proposed finalized fix, is because the of the tolerance of rubber rings, we have to change up the design.

Instead of having a design which goes around the rings, I'm currently working on one that goes in the housing. This will achieve the same silencing result, without the nuance of ring installation.

My current timeline is to finalize  the design and have samples by end of April ~

edit:

This is because applying the adhesive to such a thin piece is not possible due to the the thinness. We've tried a few manufacturing methods, but none yielded a satisfactory result.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 April 2018, 15:48:47 by jchan94 »
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 17:02:28 »
Awesome, thanks for the update!  :D

I'll go fiddle with my Cherry keyboards in the meantime lol.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 12:15:45 »
Any update?

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 16:12:33 »
Any update?

I'm waiting for the mold to be updated for production currently.

I'm expecting a production sample by 4/30, if not early May.

--

If you'd otherwise like a refund, just email support@keyclack.com ; to note, it will be a full refund, and you opt out of a v2.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 23:25:33 »
Excited for these. Hoping to pick up another bag of 110 Heavy domes and a set of these rings when available.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 05:55:17 »
Any news on this? I'm curious how they would work compared to Hypersphere's silencing rings, which I've been happy with on a HHKB Pro 2 and an ANSI Novatouch.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 12:58:16 »
Any news on this? I'm curious how they would work compared to Hypersphere's silencing rings, which I've been happy with on a HHKB Pro 2 and an ANSI Novatouch.

I'm in the same boat, it's like all the existing solutions have their flaws so I'm hoping this would be the perfect middle ground.

KBDFans Rings = too thin, not enough dampen, but doesn't effect switch travel.
Hypersphere Rings = too thick, but dampen really well, but also effect switch travel.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 13:11:30 »
It probably depends on the hands typing. I don’t really feel any difference between my HHKB Type-S and my HHKB Pro 2 with Hypersphere’s rings installed to be honest. I’m still curious about these though.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 13:24:55 »
I felt like the KBDfans rings are perfect, but I didn't swap to BKE domes or use any lube.

Worst part about it was the install though, so if these are easier to install without any reduced tactility then definitely interested...
FC660C | FC980C

Offline Hyde

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 11:35:18 »
It probably depends on the hands typing. I don’t really feel any difference between my HHKB Type-S and my HHKB Pro 2 with Hypersphere’s rings installed to be honest. I’m still curious about these though.

I used Hypersphere first then switch to KBDFans right after (same keyboard, Realforce 104UW), and there is definitely a noticeable difference in turns of tactility and travel reduction.

I felt like the KBDfans rings are perfect, but I didn't swap to BKE domes or use any lube.

Worst part about it was the install though, so if these are easier to install without any reduced tactility then definitely interested...

Yeah I agree KBDFans for the most part is not bad, once in a while you'll get 1 or 2 switch that's "sticky".  Sometimes the ring got stuck to the ceiling and when you type on it it goes out of align then the switch won't reset fully.

Hypersphere's dampining portion glued to a plastic ring (non sticky, but stiff) which prevent the ring from mis-alignment, drawback is that since it's 2 layers so it's thicker.

lol I guess silencing properly without the purple slider is pretty hard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2018, 17:18:44 by Hyde »

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 07:22:14 »
Have we heard an update regarding these? I bought these and the heavy domes back in Febuary, and I sent an email him back in mid April and he said it would be finished at the end of April.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 09:15:51 »
Have we heard an update regarding these? I bought these and the heavy domes back in Febuary, and I sent an email him back in mid April and he said it would be finished at the end of April.

I haven’t seen any updates.  Same boat as you

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 09:38:51 »
I haven’t seen any updates.  Same boat as you

Quite unfortunate for sure.. I see the domes posted in /r/mechmarket all the time and at this point I'm ready to just cancel my order.

Also coulnd't help but notice.. Tennessee, I haven't met many of us from TN but glad to know they are out there haha.

Offline Gacct

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 09:50:29 »
He just put an update out yesterday showing the render of the new pads on instagram. Still seems like it's going to be a while before they're ready to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 08:00:52 »
He just put an update out yesterday showing the render of the new pads on instagram. Still seems like it's going to be a while before they're ready to ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the post from June 9

Many have wondered what's up with the Silencing Rings, but have no fear, we're nearly finished with them. Here are some renders of what you can expect soon!
💛
Our supplier is slated to finish the v6 mold update in 10 days, and we'll have the production 10 days after that.
🍃
The silencing rings come with an pre applied adhesive to stick to the housing of topre keyboards. We have not verified compatibility with other electrocapacitive keyboards. A provided tool will be used to install the rubber dampener onto the housings. The dampeners can be easily removed, but shouldn't be reused. Because of this, we will be providing 130 pcs to allow for error.

So looks like another 3 weeks until they are completed, then shipping. So looks like about a month wait.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 15:55:55 »
The thickness seems to sit in the middle between Hypersphere and KBDFans rings, this looks promising so far since I find Hypersphere too thick and KBDFans too thin.

Hypersphere = 0.5 mm
KeyClack = 0.35 mm
KBDFans = 0.25 mm

Hopefullyl this would be a good middle ground.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 03:48:00 »
Hmm. I took out a slider from my HHKB Pro 2 (with one of Hypersphere's rings installed), and my HHKB Type-S.

I measured the thickness of the rings using a digital vernier caliper. They both measured very close to 0.4 mm. Another thing I noticed is that the material used for the silencing ring in the Type-S is much(!) softer than that of the Hypersphere ring.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 16:31:09 »
LOL ok maybe I was a bit generalizing on the numbers but here is where I found the number from.

https://imgur.com/a/32HBk

But yes I also heard the silicone ring from HHKB Type-S is much softer, probably explain why it dampen better, the purple slider also offset 0.2 mm, so 0.4 mm would realistically be only 0.2 mm difference (which explains the minimal impact on travel distance).

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 02:54:09 »
That looks a bit funny. Maybe the guy who took the photo forgot to zero the vernier caliper? Anyway, I also took measurements using a regular (analog) vernier caliper, and it definitely looks to be less than 0.5 mm thick.

Also, remember that whatever silencing ring is used, the material will compress when the sliders are pressed up by the domes. So the travel distance will not be affected by the thickness of the ring when it is uncompressed...
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 September 2018, 05:18:23 by the_marsbar »

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 17:31:23 »
I should have the production update today, as I'm told by the manufacturer. They are still finalizing the mold change to allow the 3M tape to be installed properly. The issue is with the thinness of some points, where the center circle (the hole where the slider goes through), making it difficult to manufacture.

Offline h9n9n3

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 06:00:45 »
Looking forward to this!!

Offline knaack

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:59:33 »
Will these work on the Realforce RGB without doing a mod like mentioned in this post?  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86901.0

Offline Koatl

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 13:57:41 »
Glad I haven't missed out on this. Looking forward to any updates!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline h9n9n3

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 10:14:03 »
Any news for this? I need this!

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 07:18:55 »
I sent an email a couple days ago and got an update. My 6 month paypal dispute window is closing in so I wanted to see how to proceed. He said that the silencing rings would be shipping from production on Monday and then he hopes to have them shipped out to us by Friday.

Also if you do not have a previous order of silencing rings, the new rings will be $5 more than the original.

Offline h9n9n3

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 14:15:37 »
I sent an email a couple days ago and got an update. My 6 month paypal dispute window is closing in so I wanted to see how to proceed. He said that the silencing rings would be shipping from production on Monday and then he hopes to have them shipped out to us by Friday.

Also if you do not have a previous order of silencing rings, the new rings will be $5 more than the original.

Thanks for sharing this!

Offline Gacct

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 09:54:31 »

Doesn't seem like they're going to be shipped out today, wonder if he has even received them.

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 13:44:24 »
I know.. Shocker.. If I wasn't so active on /r/mm I would be upset. Its been 6 months and the only communication I have had is because I reached out to him.. Hopefully he posts on here or his instagram or something so we know whats up.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 04:38:04 »
So... Any updates on this?
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Koatl

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 23:01:08 »
Just got in my FC980C. Looking to silence this bad boy. Hoping to get these rings when and if available!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 07:58:54 »

I haven't seen anything. Come tomorrow I have to go for a refund. I'm down to the last couple days of my 6 months paypal window. Was really hoping to have heard something.

Offline Gacct

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 10:03:14 »

I haven't seen anything. Come tomorrow I have to go for a refund. I'm down to the last couple days of my 6 months paypal window. Was really hoping to have heard something.

Latest update from an email from Jchan stated he has all of the rings on hand and is now printing the installation tool. No update on timeline however.

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 08:37:51 »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmfUUcYFcy1/?hl=en&taken-by=keyclack

"The Topre silencing v2 rings are finally finished. We'll be shipping them out to everyone who got a v1 this week.
⛰️
The package will come with 150 pcs, as sometimes, installation isn't perfect. They also come with a 3D printed tool for installation onto the top housing.
🚚
If you've moved addresses, please let us know via support@keyclack.com. If we shipped it, with the incorrect address, just let us know and we'll reship one to you. You'll get an email when your package has shipped as well."

My paypal dispute is remaining open until I get them though.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 10:15:46 »
Thanks for the update, BHuber09.

Good to hear we're (hopefully) finally getting what we paid for in the first place.  :thumb:
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 10:32:23 »
Thanks for the update, BHuber09.

Good to hear we're (hopefully) finally getting what we paid for in the first place.  :thumb:

Hopefully lol. Only thing is that picture still very much looks like a render.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 10:37:20 »
Hopefully lol. Only thing is that picture still very much looks like a render.

I was just thinking the same thing, lol. We'll see... Hopefully he pulls through this time.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 23:40:13 »
Apparently they're in: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmfUUcYFcy1/?taken-by=keyclack

Hope I get a chance to buy some soon.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline sybase

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 19:59:16 »
I emailed KeyClack and they said the rings would be back in the stock by the end of this week. Tomorrow is Friday, so hopefully we see something???

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 07:28:06 »
They also said that they would have the rings done in March. And April. And June. And 3 weeks ago. I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 03:15:26 »
I just received an email from Keyclack telling me that the new rings have been shipped.

Hi!

First of all, thank you for your patience, in letting me fix the Topre Silencing Rings. I know you've had high expectations for this ring.

Secondly, your package has shipped. This is confirmation that your TOPRE SILENCING RINGS are on the way to you.

They will be in a small envelope, and come with the following contents:
150 pcs silencing rings
Here is a small guide, and they do require 2 tools
Tweezers ! Any type will do.
Pencil or another set of tweezers.
Guide: https://imgur.com/a/e4tQUWu
Originally, the plans were to include an installation tool, but turns out that the tool didn't help as much as I had hoped. With self alignment, it was much more easy.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience in this. I hope you enjoy the dampening rings.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 04:22:17 »
Since it's pretty easy to miss, I just thought I'd mention that JChan wrote this in the imgur instructions:

If you've previously purchased this set of rings in our V1, I apologize for the delay. It took a while to get this right, on top of fulfilling.  If you are interested in purchasing another Topre product, such as Rings, or BKE domes, we'd like to offer you a discount for the inconvenience. The discount is 20% off any Topre-related products. Please confirm your order number for the rings, and we'll help you out.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Please email us at support@keyclack.com for any questions.

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 11:08:10 »
Oh heck yeah! You'll have to let us know how they are man. I just had to escalate my case just to keep it open but really hope they get shipped out before long!

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 16:28:05 »
Maybe it is unlikely, but I am quite looking forward to when I'll be able to buy these on the store, and hope it is soon :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 September 2018, 20:18:36 »
Got a notification for something shipping.  I think it’s these bc I don’t have anything else coming

Offline sybase

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 20:46:04 »
They're back in stock on KeyClack!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 05:39:39 »
So the V1 rings were about half as thick as Hypersphere's rings (according to https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7y2vr5/keyclack_topre_silencing_rings/). V2 is about twice as thick as V1 (according to https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfe9T7MFuv1/?hl=en&taken-by=keyclack)

So what's the advantage compared to using Hypersphere's rings then? They seem to be much more difficult to mount.