Author Topic: Sudden Decline in Keyboard Interest  (Read 13475 times)

Offline Kavik

Sudden Decline in Keyboard Interest
« on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 02:37:30 »
About a month ago, after soldering my second PCB for my Moon keyboard, I rather suddenly lost most of my interest in keyboards. I really don't know why other than the fact that I was very satisfied with the Moon (maybe endgame isn't a myth). I went from checking geekhack compulsively several times a day to going several days without checking at all, seemingly overnight.

The only other time I'd felt like this was for a week or two following a friend's death; it seemed like a really silly thing to obsess over in light of that.

There are still a few things I'd like to do with current keyboards and GBs that look cool, but I don't feel compelled to spend any more money. I suppose this is a good thing since I can now spend towards other hobbies (or you know save it).

It's something of a relief not having this obsession in the back of my mind all the time, but it's also a bit of a weird empty feeling. I suppose it could come back at some point. I've experienced this in the past with other obsessive hobbies. They sometimes come back briefly, but it's never quite the same.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will I ever care about keyboards as much again?!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline MGMorden

Re: Sudden Decline in Keyboard Interest
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 04:05:56 »
Interest in hobbies comes and goes for me.  I never completely lose interest in anything I get into but I'll go back and forth between what's got my attention at the moment.

Bottom line though: there's no reason to feel guilty.  You only answer to yourself on things like this.  If you don't feel interested in keyboards right now then you don't feel interested.  It's not as if you're SUPPOSED to be into this and you'll get in trouble if your interest wanes ;).  Just do whatever you've having fun doing at any given time and never feel guilty. 
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 07:42:09 »
From what i think is that you are satisfied with what you have at the moment. I am not looking actively at the forum as i used to. I am almost at my end boards. I have a board for everything work home etc. The only thing i may do is getting a new case and key caps for my last keyboard and then i will be less active in the keyboard community and be more active in a other hobby.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 09:35:22 »
I had pretty well reached a saturation point when lot_lizard's project came along. That got me very excited but after it dragged on for several months and then died, I was left kind of deflated.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 10:00:23 »
Come for the keebs stay for the tp threads :D

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 10:59:31 »
i was pretty heavily into keyboards and stuff for a year or two, then after a trip to china where i was mostly off the grid, i came back and had almost zero desire to browse gh, slack, /r/mk etc. after a couple of months or so, i started to ease back into it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 11:52:08 »
i was pretty heavily into keyboards and stuff for a year or two, then after a trip to china where i was mostly off the grid, i came back and had almost zero desire to browse gh, slack, /r/mk etc. after a couple of months or so, i started to ease back into it.

China.. land of n0-phat-ch1x..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 12:24:28 »
in the 6 years i've been in this hobby, i think i've only been active for 4 of them

interest waxes and wanes, that's natural

take a few weeks away from it all, come back when you're more interested

no point in doing something you don't want to do
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 21:41:46 »
For hobbies it's normal to spike in interest and once you tried enough things the interest die down again.  That's when you pick up other hobbies until you found something new about the old hobby.

In my case I cycle through mouse, keyboard, and headphones.

I first started with computer mouse and after 4-5 mouse I found my end game one and then I stopped buying mouse, then I moved on to keyboards, after 12 keyboards now I'm slowing down too, then I started collecting headphones and about 4-5 headphones later now I think I hit a point where I'm happy too (maybe need 1 more dac/amp then I'm done).

These days I just bounce between keyboards and headphones (mouse is pretty much done), though I still read up about them from time to time for fun even though I really don't need any extra keyboard or headphones.

But I feel empty when I don't have anything new to look forward to or something I'm passionate about, so I find it's always good to keep 1 or 2 hobbies around.

I mean it's good that you're saving money now but just check back from time to time and who knows, one day there might be something new that spark your interest again.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 22:32:14 »
The only annoying thing about this hobby is that you need to invest your energies in finding stuff because sellers are too lazy to offer a continuous supply of the best products, or simply they're hobbyists like you.

You don't spend most of your time to improve - build - entrance products, but to actually jump in the right opportunity that allows you to spend your money. And this is very stupid. Most of the time you're waiting for someone that takes your money, and you need to actually thank them for running a GB and taking your money. They obviously deserve to be thanked, is just how things work that is stupid.

So far only k3kc and originative are pretty consistent, at a premium price.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 01:09:00 »

You lost me there.

I was pretty active because I love to trade artisans for some colourway I’m building for. But when k3kc started coming out with counterfeit artisans and some mainland Chinese guys also did the same, I stopped trading because I’m not sure if I’ll get a legit key. That totally kill my presence in GH. Yeah, I still join for sales direct from the maker but I’m really careful about trading and buying from unknown members - all because of people like k3kc.

And didn’t Originative MIA from group buy and was accused of scamming at one time?

Made me wonder who you associate with.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 01:17:42 »
I was pretty active because I love to trade artisans for some colourway I’m building for. But when k3kc started coming out with counterfeit artisans and some mainland Chinese guys also did the same, I stopped trading because I’m not sure if I’ll get a legit key.

yeah this was the reason i stopped updating and bumping my classifieds thread :<

trading caps was one of the main - if not the only - way i got to really know people round here

Offline portbaron

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 01:20:50 »
That's how hobbies go, especially ones involving buying stuff. A few months to a year of manic activity, then once you've learned most of what's out there and it's no longer new you don't feel pressured to keep from falling behind.  At that point you're saturated and can move on to something else, or take a year off and see what's new next year.

I've gone through cycles like this for about 15 years; between cars, musical instruments, japanese kitchen knives, car models, headphones, keyboards...you don't lose interest completely, but it stops being your main thing and that's ok.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 02:29:14 »
That's how hobbies go, especially ones involving buying stuff. A few months to a year of manic activity, then once you've learned most of what's out there and it's no longer new you don't feel pressured to keep from falling behind.  At that point you're saturated and can move on to something else, or take a year off and see what's new next year.

I've gone through cycles like this for about 15 years; between cars, musical instruments, japanese kitchen knives, car models, headphones, keyboards...you don't lose interest completely, but it stops being your main thing and that's ok.

Similar here, but I have not that much hobbies and try have only a few – keyboards, photography, bicycles, computers. They all come and go in cycles, 3 months photography, then cycling, and so on.
... ...

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 02:41:57 »
I got that way with artisan's I was really gung-ho buying as many as I could.. then suddenly I kinda got what I wanted.. the desire completely left me. I have also noticed my taste of have changed. I found that I am less inclined to enter for like blind bag raffle from ETF and way more inclined to enter for Krap's Copycat's. I am guessing its partially the fact really like the copycat's but also.. the fact that out of all the ETF raffles I entered I won 1. Why put in the effort and time to just lose!

I could see the same happening with keyboard's once your satisfied then that it.  I noticed geek hack seems to be more for incoming's and keysets.. where reddit is more about.. general conversation and what not. That could be another reason for the decline in interest

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 05:48:05 »
I have this lull when you lose raffle after raffle. but, then it dies down then suddenly another raffle comes out then you try your chances.

gets me everytime. the salt in my wounds take a little longer to heal.

tomorrow is a new day so things can only get better.

Offline zslane

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 11:56:39 »
It was always my plan to get in, get the keycaps I wanted, and get out. I had no interest in artisans or any of the DIY aspects of this hobby. Once I found the keyboard I liked best (the Realforce RGB), and got the keycaps I wanted most (Round 6), I was basically done. It's just that everything in this hobby takes so g****mn long, I ended up "in it" for far longer than I anticipated.

At this point I really only keep my toes in the water because an occasional SA keycap set comes along that appeals to me.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 12:02:32 »
Cycling out of it myself, finding myself much more interested in fashion than keyboards lately.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 04:16:50 »
I can't speak for everyone, but when something (or someone) takes my fancy for the first time, there's a certain rush of emotions when I see it. Once that gets old, and the next major thing takes my attention, the feeling's very much the same. It's just a state our brains get in, under the circumstances.

It's probably a trait that's helped us survive and flourish as a species—a kind of mental overdrive that kicks in when we feel fascinated and challenged with something new.

Naturally that state can't last forever. As you achieve a certain amount of experience with something, you no longer have to stay in "high gear" to deal with it; the skills, knowledge and memories become internalized. It's normal. Relationships are usually that way, too.  ;?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 08:49:28 »
The problem with keyboards is that it's difficult to spend money. Quality items are made to order. You order stuff and you receive it when your taste has changed.

Look for example at the ellipse GB. Years have passed. Will the four years older you actually like the keyboard? You aren't the same person anymore. To save yourself from the delusion, you've probably convinced yourself that you don't like keyboards so much.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 09:16:50 »
I've never truly had a sudden decline in interest, but I think I'm finally getting to the point where I can let go of keyboards that I kind of like but don't really care about. My current plans are to keep the following and sell the rest:

• Gamdias Hermes GKB-2010 (Cherry MX Red)
  • Massdrop Ctrl (Halo Clear)
  • Varmilo VA87MR (Cherry MX Gray)
  • Sharp X68000 (Alps SKCL Green)
  • Sharp X1 (Alps SKCL Green)
  • Matias Laptop Pro (Matias Quiet Click)
  • NEC PC-8801mk II SR (Alps SKCM Blue)
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 10:00:28 »
If it's not a life-necessity, it's a hobby. As with any hobby, you should probably avoid focusing on it 100% for too long. Waxing and waning is a natural part of any leisure pursuit.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 22:43:25 »
I have at least 1/2 dozen hobbies such as fishing/outdoors, keyboards, knives and cutlery, fitness, watchmaking, among others.  My interest waxes and wanes for as little as a few weeks to a few years.  A lot of it has to do with the thrill of the hunt (obtaining equipment and gear) and research.  I find this the most gratifying.  When I've found all the camera  equipment I need or have assembled my "grail, (I have not)" I don't spend as much time with the hobby, though there is actually more time to do so.  My interest in  keyboards has waned the least, probably because it is the most accessible to me. I have to go to the gym to get a proper workout in, or I need to go to the lake to fish;  though I can still research equipment and tecnique which is always fun to me.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 01:58:11 »
I have at least 1/2 dozen hobbies such as fishing/outdoors, keyboards, knives and cutlery, fitness, watchmaking, among others.  My interest waxes and wanes for as little as a few weeks to a few years.  A lot of it has to do with the thrill of the hunt (obtaining equipment and gear) and research.  I find this the most gratifying.  When I've found all the camera  equipment I need or have assembled my "grail, (I have not)" I don't spend as much time with the hobby, though there is actually more time to do so.  My interest in  keyboards has waned the least, probably because it is the most accessible to me. I have to go to the gym to get a proper workout in, or I need to go to the lake to fish;  though I can still research equipment and tecnique which is always fun to me.

I think this is also why keyboards were appealing to me. I was really into guns for years, but I could only use them at the range, which was a somewhat rare occasion (I also had to buy and stock ammo in order to use them, which was expensive and sometimes impossible depending on the political climate), so over time, it became frustrating and less enjoyable. I have been really into bicycles too, but they suffer from the same thing (especially mountain bikes), since they require a whole day of good weather and no obligations to enjoy, etc.

I use keyboards every day whether I want to or not. I get to use keyboards every day. And once I have one, there's no cost to using it.

Speaking of the gym, I have been thinking a lot about getting a power rack for my garage. That's actually the other hobby I was considering "spending towards."

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 19:39:09 »

I think this is also why keyboards were appealing to me. I was really into guns for years, but I could only use them at the range, which was a somewhat rare occasion (I also had to buy and stock ammo in order to use them, which was expensive and sometimes impossible depending on the political climate), so over time, it became frustrating and less enjoyable. I have been really into bicycles too, but they suffer from the same thing (especially mountain bikes), since they require a whole day of good weather and no obligations to enjoy, etc.

I use keyboards every day whether I want to or not. I get to use keyboards every day. And once I have one, there's no cost to using it.

Speaking of the gym, I have been thinking a lot about getting a power rack for my garage. That's actually the other hobby I was considering "spending towards."

My hobbies went from cars -> guns -> motorcycles -> keyboards. Now I'm looking for a new hobby as every hobby I've had is a ridiculous money sink.

Now that I have the FC980C, I think I'm done with keyboards for a while. Don't really have a desire to go through the trouble of trying new switches and whatnot.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 10:08:48 »
My hobbies went from cars -> guns -> motorcycles -> keyboards. Now I'm looking for a new hobby as every hobby I've had is a ridiculous money sink.

Now that I have the FC980C, I think I'm done with keyboards for a while. Don't really have a desire to go through the trouble of trying new switches and whatnot.

At least your hobby is getting cheaper and cheaper.  You should look into computer mouse next those are cheaper haha.

Also I think FC980C is a respectable endgame keyboard I'd say.  You don't really need anything more beyond that.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 11:35:59 »
Just do whatever you've having fun doing at any given time and never feel guilty.
That's advice I'd like to try and live by, in regards to my hobbies at least. I always worry I'm spending money that could be better used elsewhere.

I'm sure GH will be here should you decide to come back. My interest comes and goes as well. It's not as huge of a timesink in the summer as it is during the colder darker months.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 11 May 2018, 11:38:38 »
I could use my money better, but then you have to have some entertainment in your life if you don't want to go crazy.  :))
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 13:55:53 »
Same here. I used to be on here all the time a couple of years ago, plotting upgrades, peeping key caps, group buys. Fantasizing about the "perfect" keyboard. In the end, what happened is I realized that no matter how cool a new set of caps would look at first, within a month or so it would just seem normal and boring anyway.

So I bought the one keyboard I'd been intrigued with at the beginning, but had been too cheap to buy: the HHKB. That was over 3 years ago, and I'm completely satisfied with it. Like any quality tool you get accustomed to liking in your hand, the more I use it the more I like it. The keycaps are as nice of PBT as I'm likely to find anywhere (even the spacebar thanks to that awesome matt3o group buy) and I love the feel and sound of the thing. The FN layer is so second-nature that I caught myself trying to use FN+A the other night to turn down the volume on my MacBook. Right now my intention is to just keep using this thing to bang out as many words as possible until it dies. Conservatively, I think I'm 300,000 words in so far.

Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces.
-Eiiti Wada
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2018, 13:57:41 by dchadwick »

Offline proto

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 15:53:55 »
I have so many varying interest that its hard to keep up with all of them, so I have tended to go back and forth every few weeks. Doing so makes me gain just over surface level information on a subject but nothing super deep. But I guess that's just the way I was built.
Anyways maybe try taking a break and coming back in a few weeks, you could have just burned out on it.

Offline bizzy11

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 20:49:30 »

At least your hobby is getting cheaper and cheaper.  You should look into computer mouse next those are cheaper haha.

Also I think FC980C is a respectable endgame keyboard I'd say.  You don't really need anything more beyond that.  :thumb:

Yea I've gone through a few different mice over the years, mostly Logitech though. Currently using the G903 and I'm pretty happy with it.

I was going to try getting into better audio equipment, but I found that can be a very expensive hobby as well lol.
FC660C | FC980C

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 01:28:53 »
About a month ago, after soldering my second PCB for my Moon keyboard, I rather suddenly lost most of my interest in keyboards. I really don't know why other than the fact that I was very satisfied with the Moon (maybe endgame isn't a myth). I went from checking geekhack compulsively several times a day to going several days without checking at all, seemingly overnight.

The only other time I'd felt like this was for a week or two following a friend's death; it seemed like a really silly thing to obsess over in light of that.

There are still a few things I'd like to do with current keyboards and GBs that look cool, but I don't feel compelled to spend any more money. I suppose this is a good thing since I can now spend towards other hobbies (or you know save it).

It's something of a relief not having this obsession in the back of my mind all the time, but it's also a bit of a weird empty feeling. I suppose it could come back at some point. I've experienced this in the past with other obsessive hobbies. They sometimes come back briefly, but it's never quite the same.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will I ever care about keyboards as much again?!
Have you tried anything besides MX switches? ;p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:26:07 »
youll be back

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 04:38:09 »
If it's not a life-necessity, it's a hobby. As with any hobby, you should probably avoid focusing on it 100% for too long...

Now that you mention it, it does seem like a good idea for someone to check on whether you guys are managing to get out of the house now and then.

The problem with keyboards is that it's difficult to spend money. Quality items are made to order...

Unless it has buckling springs, and you've got a bit of liquid laundry soap and a key-puller.  :thumb:

I've never truly had a sudden decline in interest, but I think I'm finally getting to the point where I can let go of keyboards that I kind of like but don't really care about.

Dude, that's an excellent observation. I imagine most of us go through the same thing: We buy (and restore, if necessary) a wide variety of keeb technologies (and in some cases, vintages); then begin the process of using them in daily typing life, till we realize which keebs really mean something to us, and which of them aren't special enough to bother with. (I do this with people, too, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.)

My current plans are to keep the following and sell the rest:

• Gamdias Hermes GKB-2010 (Cherry MX Red)
  • Massdrop Ctrl (Halo Clear)
  • Varmilo VA87MR (Cherry MX Gray)
  • Sharp X68000 (Alps SKCL Green)
  • Sharp X1 (Alps SKCL Green)
  • Matias Laptop Pro (Matias Quiet Click)
  • NEC PC-8801mk II SR (Alps SKCM Blue)

Your post's especially interesting, B., considering your renown in the keeb community. But really, not a single BS board in there? Just to peck on now and then, if nothing else, to fulfill your moral obligation to pay homage to the greatest and most sproingiest input-device technology ever? I yam taken aback.

I also can't help wondering why you felt it unnecessary to mention any of the boards you're turfing. Couldn't you list just a few, and really lay into the comments on why they're so inconsequential and/or outright bad, and how much pleasure you'll derive from never having to lay your mitts on dem no mo'? I mean, what else are we doing here?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 06:46:08 »
I think it is very natural in most hobbies to have your interest and desire to be involved wax and wane. For me, stumbling across this tread was unexpected, because I’ve been in that wavering interest situation for a while now.

I think it comes down to your motivation for being here and evaluating your own personal (more general ‘life’) situation at any such point in time. Certainly for me, periods where work, study is particularly busy or some events remind you of other more important commitments - these times I lose interest in spending anything at all (and just want to lose as much of the keyboard ‘baggage’ as possible). But I think this is an interesting enough community that I keep coming back - even if it is just on the sidelines or just to watch personalities and trends evolve.

I saw some others mentioned their keyboards in these wax/waning periods. Recently, when interest in DIY or unnecessarily gaudy desk ornaments is lost, I have found a Realforce full-size and classic cherry.. the motivation behind this being they are perfectly functional out of the box, can pass as a ‘normal person’s’ keyboard, while still having that switch goodness as a reminder of the time spent in this hobby.

Whew. Look at us having these self-reflective moments.. now this is what I call group therapy :p
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 10:14:41 »
I also can't help wondering why you felt it unnecessary to mention any of the boards you're turfing. Couldn't you list just a few, and really lay into the comments on why they're so inconsequential and/or outright bad, and how much pleasure you'll derive from never having to lay your mitts on dem no mo'? I mean, what else are we doing here?
You could have opened his profile with posts like the Japan haul.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 19:17:40 »
Well, to be fair, even since my post a few weeks ago my plans have changed a bit. I am planning on keeping one BS board, which is my Kentucky Wildcats Model M. If I remember, I'll have to update with what I've already sold, planning to sell, and planning to keep.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 05:17:08 »
I lost interest too, once I reached my endgame, and got that satisfaction - took me 2 years to build the next iteration

Keyboards are truly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, even for work/coding, you don't need the optimal keyboard, any keyboard does the job, it's a hobby, a useful one compared to unuseful hobbies

But for regular work - and for life, catastrophic events like you described could seriously ruin you, I used to call the phenomenon "time slips" - It's like you enter an auto pilot mode, and lose months, sometimes years, without you even realise that you've been going on aimlessly

Back when I was developing Facebook apps, Facebook used to remove apps, or take action against them, suddenly and without a cause or justification, you would pour your life into something, and they'd obliterate it as they wished - it was brutal, every time this happened, I entered one of these time slips, at the time I was at college, I went on for 1-2 months without doing any additional work, I'd continue with school, but in a very numb manner, I was going on, but slipping through time

Anyway, long story short, if you want to prevent these "time slips" - It's better to regulate your work and habits artificially, force yourself to do certain things no matter what happens in life (a minimal amount of work, research, whatever - a basic workout routine for your body) - this way you recover fast, and even if you don't recover, you at least achieve things while you are slipping through time

Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 05:52:29 »
I lost interest too, once I reached my endgame, and got that satisfaction - took me 2 years to build the next iteration

Keyboards are truly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, even for work/coding, you don't need the optimal keyboard, any keyboard does the job, it's a hobby, a useful one compared to unuseful hobbies

But for regular work - and for life, catastrophic events like you described could seriously ruin you, I used to call the phenomenon "time slips" - It's like you enter an auto pilot mode, and lose months, sometimes years, without you even realise that you've been going on aimlessly

Back when I was developing Facebook apps, Facebook used to remove apps, or take action against them, suddenly and without a cause or justification, you would pour your life into something, and they'd obliterate it as they wished - it was brutal, every time this happened, I entered one of these time slips, at the time I was at college, I went on for 1-2 months without doing any additional work, I'd continue with school, but in a very numb manner, I was going on, but slipping through time

Anyway, long story short, if you want to prevent these "time slips" - It's better to regulate your work and habits artificially, force yourself to do certain things no matter what happens in life (a minimal amount of work, research, whatever - a basic workout routine for your body) - this way you recover fast, and even if you don't recover, you at least achieve things while you are slipping through time
Very well said. Couldn’t agree more. The ‘time slips’ concepts goes hand in hand with the escapism I think.
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 09:39:14 »
LOL. Waiting three years for some group buys, like the model f or SA keycaps. In the end you can choose to go insane or to say to yourself that keyboards aren't important at all.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2018, 04:59:16 by Giorgio »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 10:15:59 »

In the end you can choose to go insane

Group buys are like another universe to me. I can't even comprehend the threads, much less place an order. There have been several times that I really wanted something, but just couldn't figure out how to get involved. I entered one group buy, years ago, for a handful of caps. It worked out OK, but it was something that I didn't care about, there wasn't a lot of money invested, and when they showed up weeks or months later I just shrugged and thought: "oh, there those things are"

I wish that there was a simple and concise post, at the end, not buried in an infinitely long thread, saying "if you want X then send me Y dollars by Friday" 
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 10:18:01 »
I've done a few group buys, but they are far easier when the runners are actually organized. That is, in my opinion, far more important for GB success.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 10:40:25 »
I'm mostly here because I enjoy the community, I don't think I have done a keyboard project or purchase since 2015. I get really interested in one thing for like 2 months and then it shifts, so I guess keebs will be back in the radar in the future...  :))
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 10:45:48 »
Like most people have said, my interest comes and goes (usually with then I can or can't afford to splurge on keyboards).

I try to stay engaged in the community as much as I can, but there's never enough hours in the day.

The other part is that the community moves at a constant pace, so keeping up with trends/products/conversations is a bit of work.

My advice, don't feel back about declining interest. You'll always enjoy keyboards, but the hobby can be demanding at times.

ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Belfong

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 01:18:27 »

I wish that there was a simple and concise post, at the end, not buried in an infinitely long thread, saying "if you want X then send me Y dollars by Friday"
Normally, you just need to stick to the first post to do the ordering. The rest of the post are just noise and discussion. But yeah, GB is not the easiest to jump into especially when there are many more variants. My advise is to just watch the OP.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 05:18:12 »
I definitely ran into endgame.  I designed my 60% dream layout, built it, refined the design, built a couple more of them, upgrade the original, and then I had enough keyboards for every computer in the place and nothing really left to do.

I played around in KLE for a while, but it was hard to come up with any major improvement over what I'd already done—and taking it up another level would require quite a bit more work with hand-wiring or a custom PCB and a custom case, etc.  The cost/benefit analysis doesn't work out, unless I were to try and run a group buy and get a production run of them made.  And although I've been tempted to get into that, the fact is that I do have other interests and projects in my life.  So…  It's all on hold now.  (And I am getting good use out of the keyboards I've already built.)

I haven't ruled it out for the future, though.  I've still got those layouts saved in the KLE.

Offline DumbUglyDragon

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 13:13:08 »
I feel like it comes in waves as well. You gets that board you've been waiting forever for, then you are satiated for a while. Then occasionally I look up and realize the amount of keyboards laying around that I don't actually use. Then I sell some off and then something fancier comes along that I want :)
Topre/White Alps/MX Blue

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 01:55:20 »
I find myself in the same boat for quite a few hobbies (Headphones, audio equipment, computer hardware, etc), but one thing that is good about having this many hobbies is that you can cycle through different ones and go back when new exciting breakthroughs or new techs come out. Just don't exhaust yourself from one all at once.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 02:29:45 »
I see multiple hobbies as a blessing and a curse. It's nice to always have something to change over to, but then you also always have something to spend money on.

Offline killyou

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 04:44:12 »
I see multiple hobbies as a blessing and a curse. It's nice to always have something to change over to, but then you also always have something to spend money on.
Besides keyboards I used to play and collect electric guitars (and amps). What I do to not overspend money on my hobbies is to accumulate all gift money (birthdays etc, for instance I asked my wife and parents for some Christmas money instead of presents to buy GMK Laser) and spend only that (in case of keyboards because they are on the cheaper side, I was using my own money to buy amps as they are expensive). Also I find it exciting to acquire gear only through good deals, play with it for a while and sell it again. I haven't lost any money on the keyboards that I bought and sold and I made money on guitars and amps (I made something around $1500 buying, using and selling used guitars and amps through the years).

My latest acquisition is Pok3r with MX Blue switches. I bought it new for a price of the used one which was a great deal. If time comes to part with it I will be able to recover 100% (which was acquired by gift money anyway).
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 May 2018, 04:46:58 by killyou »

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 05:16:31 »
Most hobbies/interests/avocations involve the acquisition of knowledge, skills, materials, parts, and the interaction with others in the community who share these with you.  You have  to admit something such as stamp collecting has changed immensely during the last 50 years because of the internet.

Factors that affect the waxing and waning of interest include well the novelty, the quest for knowledge, maintenance,  (for many of my hobbies it's been the "hunt" or the search of new pieces or examples which represent my chosen interest), free time, and  changing life roles and responsibilities. 

I'll give an example of one of my hobbies- computer rig building and then overclocking.  I spent a couple years doing this because I thought it  was absolutely fascinating. I reached what you may call  my 'endgame.'  This is a consistent, popular, ASUS board (Sandy Bridge for those still green) chosen for quality and because most potential problems and solutions were well documentated; and an Intel 2500K.  I had this rig stable running at 5.2 GH and crashing about twice a month. Some would argue that is not stable but that is not the point here.  Since I don't game I never had  a reason to upgrade my gear and I've had the same rig for the last 6 or 7 years.  I could learn about the newest generations and dump 1600 bucks on all new stuff and have some fun, but I would see little difference in performance for my needs.  It is true and I don't game and the most resource draining games do lag on my system on here, but it's of no concern to me.  It seems the OP KAVIK has also reached his chosen 'endgame' as he doesn't wanna dump more resources and is very happy with his current build.  Also in light of other events in his life and his late friend, this seems trivial. 

I'm one the weirdos or minority who has found his favorite switch to be  unmodified Cherry MX Browns.  I do go on GH almost daily, but it's mostly to read about newbies experiences and give a little guidance with my limited knowledge base.  I will say that during the last 6-12 months there has been an enormous amount of new switches or modifications of older designs- some mainstream and some confined to the underground community. This new invention of the drop in keyboard switches has rekindled my interests again at new switch designs and I would like to again experiment with new layouts, brands, companies, designs, and well just about everything.  But I do need to take some time and money to advance my career, so the keyboard thing has to take a backseat.

I don't know what the "Moon" keyboard is (shows what I know next the the real enthusiasts) but Kovak, you are at a time in the hobby where there is so much to try that I can almost guarantee  that with a  little research and experimentation (half the fun) you can find something which will exceed the expectation cap you have placed.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 09:03:17 »
This sort of thing happens all the time with my hobbies, whether it be retro game collecting, homebrewing beer, keyboards, computer builds etc. Comes in cycles!

Offline nerdblog_io

• Family Man, Highlander, Leader of the Gorgonites
    • Nerdblog.io
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 09:16:28 »
For me it's whenever it becomes to "real" so to speak.

Like if this hobby ever causes me more distress than pleasure. I'm the same way though, was pretty amped for hyperfuse and once I got it, my focus shifted.

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 17:04:24 »
I know what you mean.  I go through periods of time where I feel guilty spending this kind of money on things and try to rationalize it but telling myself most of this holds good value.  I think it hits most when I’m in the middle of a lot of GBs with a few months left in them and you feel stuck.  Luckily thus far it goes away
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline nativejibroney22

• I enjoy keyboards as well as making artisans
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:29:22 »
I just went through this for the last 6 months or so. Just seemingly overnight and for no reason I stopped browsing and coming to the threads, keeping track of new cases and keysets, building my keyboards. By no means would I start typing on membrane trash, but felt no need to go further haha. Recently it started coming back and the itch is returning, not as intense as before but the hobby is growing back for me! Think it will just sort of come and go in waves!

Offline mdlt97

• This **** is still better than Keebtalk
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:32:48 »
tbh, you might just need a break, take sometime not thinking about keyboard, if doesnt come back than you lost interest but if it does you probably were just stressed
TX60 | Duck TC-V3 | Duck Eagle V2 1/1 Bottom | Zephyr r2 | Duck Sidewinder | Mech27v2 | TX75 | LZ CLS | Duck Viper v2 | Orion v3 | HHKB pro 1 | TGR 910 | Omega60

Offline Deephouse_jedi

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:45:28 »
I lost interest for awhile also, but recently got back into them. Even if you arent building or collecting youre still be happy using whta you have and have an appreciation for them. Well that my case anyway

Offline hideyourholes

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:47:05 »
I'm really bad at picking up a new hobby, getting fully engrossed in it, and then stopping after I have wasted a considerable amount of money in it. I call it the DED approach - discovery, engrossment, despair. Haven't gotten to stage 3 of mechanical keyboards yet.

Offline hilltopchill

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 19:32:56 »
I've been into keyboards for about 1 and a half years, and I frequently go between being really interested and then not at all. I'd say what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 15:13:02 »
Not too long after posting this, my interest came back and all was well in the world.

Now, I've hit that spot again. Every time I get on GH, it's like scrolling through those promotional e-mails from companies I bought something from once but end up deleting with the occasional interesting e-mail from a friend sprinkled in.

I was really enjoying my TKC-1800 with BOX Royals, but then my spacebar started chattering and I just haven't had the drive to sit down and fix it. The whole BOX switch debacle is also a bit depressing since I love the two BOX types I have. Now I'm just using some Kailh low profile switches at work.

At least this time, I've managed to fill my time with some other hobbies, so it's not as empty.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 16:16:34 »
I also tent to lose interest every few months. Hobbies for me come and go in waves. This is indicated by gaps in my post history :p. For me, keyboards will always have special meaning as it was one of my first real hobbies as I started to earn money, and thus am in too deep now to just up and quit :))

Offline JP

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 10:04:32 »
I'm glad I found this thread. My interests in this hobby have been multi-faceted. I started this hobby with a massive influx of acquisitions. I started out trying to collect every IBM keyboard which eventually branched to other types of vintage keyboards. For me a lot of this has been based on the thrill of the hunt. It was also an ambition to discover relics of the past virtually unknown to the times and to also research them. Besides simply collecting I had aspirations of restoring certain ones and in some cases customizing them. It came to point recently though where I've more or less hit the brakes on this hobby and shifted over to other hobbies or even real life I dare say. I haven't lost interest entirely but I've achieved my end game in certain domains of interest and do not care about having one of everything as I once did. I figure I can always tinker away on my projects whenever I feel like rather than burn myself out trying to get everything done as fast as possible.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 10:21:36 »
Once I learned “most” of the basics of the hobby (more like culture) and tried various keyboards... the amount of time I spent thinking about the perfect keyboard dropped. I just started to use and appreciate what I had, without worrying about some end game or flawless design. There’s pros and cons to keyboard models and switches and whatever else, like a lot of things in life.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 12:26:58 »
I found my definitive favorite keyboard + switch combo (LFK78 with Salmon Alps) and have literally been so inactive on GH and reddit ever since... I'm sure I'll fall back in the rabbit hole eventually.

Offline bengeek

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:55:36 »
I confess that I'm not stricken as some of you with keyboards. I came here recently, because I needed a new kb and saw some incredible boards here - which started me towards the rabbit hole - I'm still on the edge, looking in. What's keeping me out is all the keycaps that I like are $180 and up. For that kinda money, I can buy three vintage Macintosh SEs!

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 15:27:39 »
I come and go from the hobby. Right now I'm more interested in keyboards than ever, but who knows where I'll be with it after the builds I have coming up.
It always takes something interesting and new popping up to pull me back in.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 10:08:12 »
I confess that I'm not stricken as some of you with keyboards. I came here recently, because I needed a new kb and saw some incredible boards here - which started me towards the rabbit hole - I'm still on the edge, looking in. What's keeping me out is all the keycaps that I like are $180 and up. For that kinda money, I can buy three vintage Macintosh SEs!

The majority of the money I've spent on the hobby has been for vintage stuff, I've never purchased a key set which costs more than $40 (although I think that will change soon since I just need one specific keyset to complete my modern build).

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 01:33:37 »

The majority of the money I've spent on the hobby has been for vintage stuff, I've never purchased a key set which costs more than $40 (although I think that will change soon since I just need one specific keyset to complete my modern build).

A fact about keycaps I discovered is that it is sort of a sub-hobby within the keyboard hobby. And even though I haven't shopped for new caps in well over 2 years, the ones I use still give me noticeable pleasure every day using them. (specifically PBT caps)

So in a way I am happy that my interest in shopping for keyboards and caps has waned, because I've found what I really enjoy and I appreciate it every day I use my gear and don't feel the obsessive need to hunt rather than enjoy what I already have.

Also, I think one could consider some types of unique exotic boards as another sub-hobby because those seem to be in a separate category from my daily driver boards and they give me something to use every once in awhile as interesting diversion.

So overall the interest in the boards/caps themselves is still very much there for me, but I can relax now with them and appreciate them more over time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 August 2018, 01:37:45 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline Auslander

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 03:23:21 »
The only annoying thing about this hobby is that you need to invest your energies in finding stuff because sellers are too lazy to offer a continuous supply of the best products, or simply they're hobbyists like you.

You don't spend most of your time to improve - build - entrance products, but to actually jump in the right opportunity that allows you to spend your money. And this is very stupid. Most of the time you're waiting for someone that takes your money, and you need to actually thank them for running a GB and taking your money. They obviously deserve to be thanked, is just how things work that is stupid.

+1

I 100% agree
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Meowsaur

• I don't like that.
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 09:45:06 »
Also, I think one could consider some types of unique exotic boards as another sub-hobby because those seem to be in a separate category from my daily driver boards and they give me something to use every once in awhile as interesting diversion.

Hmm.

You know, I used to scroll through /r/MechanicalKeyboards and gawk at everything.
Now I'll scroll past 80% of the things on there.

I haven't lost my enjoyment of the hobby by any means, but over the years it's shifted more towards the weirder layouts, cases and switches. I expect I'll get some backlash for saying this, but often it feels like once you've seen one 60% in the bog-standard layout - you've seen them all. I find it very difficult to comprehend why people buy so many expensive keyboards with so little variation; perhaps there's some degree of retail therapy to it.

But hey. If someone gets happiness out of it, who am I to judge, eh.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 10:27:18 »
perhaps there's some degree of retail therapy to it.
Had to look up retail therapy. :D
I've been guilty of that in the past.
Nowadays I find myself more critital as to what I'm going to spend my money on(okay so probably more of the wife's influence :p ) Not to say I won't ever buy another keyboard. But I'm satisfied for now.
Different strokes for different folks though.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 10:56:04 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 12:27:45 »
Having found my favorite keyboard model, and having acquired (nearly) all the keycap sets I want, I too am winding down my involvement. I love keycaps, but it is incredibly rare that anyone designs a set I like enough to want to buy, and so I'm rapidly approaching the "I'm finally done" phase.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 13:04:28 »

Hmm.

You know, I used to scroll through /r/MechanicalKeyboards and gawk at everything.
Now I'll scroll past 80% of the things on there.

I haven't lost my enjoyment of the hobby by any means, but over the years it's shifted more towards the weirder layouts, cases and switches. I expect I'll get some backlash for saying this, but often it feels like once you've seen one 60% in the bog-standard layout - you've seen them all. I find it very difficult to comprehend why people buy so many expensive keyboards with so little variation; perhaps there's some degree of retail therapy to it.

But hey. If someone gets happiness out of it, who am I to judge, eh.

I agree. Different layouts are actually what interest me the most. I don't like having more than one or two of a certain layout; although TKL is probably the most usable for me. For switches, I also like the more extreme variants (very heavy or very tactile), and I usually consider cousin switches a close enough proxy to satisfy my curiosity (e.g. Clears vs. Zealios). 60% looks pretty boring to me. 65% can be cool. 75% doesn't usually look cool, but it looks very utilitarian.

Having found my favorite keyboard model, and having acquired (nearly) all the keycap sets I want, I too am winding down my involvement. I love keycaps, but it is incredibly rare that anyone designs a set I like enough to want to buy, and so I'm rapidly approaching the "I'm finally done" phase.

As far as keycaps, I'm the same. There are a few sets I'd really like to have, but most of the ICs really don't pique my interest at all. They're really too expensive for what they are anyway, especially when some just sit in a box without a keyboard to go onto.

There are still a few things I'd like to have/try, but I don't feel the "need" to get them.

It's a weird situation though since I still use a keyboard every day, and I still notice all the little things I like and don't like; I just don't have as much of a drive to do anything about them.

Offline zslane

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 15:56:04 »
I type quite a bit every day too, and I guess I'm fortunate that there is only one thing about my favorite keyboard model that I wish I could change, and that's its case. The stock ABS case is okay, but I'd much rather have my endgame board(s) in beautiful, powder-coated white aluminum cases. Unfortunately, that's just not going to happen given how few people other than myself would want to spend the large price tag such a thing would have.