Author Topic: Best Clicky switch keyboard on a budget?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Row009

Best Clicky switch keyboard on a budget?
« on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 16:46:42 »
So I was wondering what are some of the best Clicky-Tacktile switch based keyboards you can get at $100 or under?
The aim here is toward the Switches themselves, so it's basically mostly about the switches but prebuilt into a keyboard.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Best Clicky switch keyboard on a budget?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 19:37:58 »
Millions of people started out on IBM Model Ms
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline RobbieFresh

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 23:07:37 »
My vote is for Rosewill: https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-RK-9000V2-BR/dp/B00S5E4KH2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1529035570&sr=8-5&keywords=rosewill&th=1

Costar built. Clicky Cherry MX Blue. Only downside is "OEM" profile ABS keycaps. But like you said, you want budget.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 00:43:48 »
kailh speed bronze

box white

box navy
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline barrel

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 16:43:51 »
If you're able to handle a TKL Then I think a Leopold FC750R Or FC980M With MX Blues would be the best, though the price is fluctuating around $100 So I'll also list a board I would recommend for exactly $100 Right now on mechanicalkeyboards.com

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3485

A Ducky One 2 Skyline with MX Blues, sadly I can't seem to find any decent Gateron boards or other fancy stuff at that price range.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 23:36:41 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2018, 03:47:45 by portbaron »
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 02:46:13 »
Millions of people started out on IBM Model Ms
Seconded.
Not only is it hard to find a better clicky switch, but any serious keyboard person should own at some point.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline 00

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 03:21:30 »
focusing on switches, skcm white would be good if you could find a clean board with them. other
It's like, dude, you gotta re-evaluate
Your perspective and your priorities, because
You started doing this because it was ****ing fun, you know?
It has to be fun
Otherwise, you're just torturing yourself, you know?
You're... you're just stuck inside your own ****ing head

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 11:49:52 »
So I was wondering what are some of the best Clicky-Tacktile switch based keyboards you can get at $100 or under?
The aim here is toward the Switches themselves, so it's basically mostly about the switches but prebuilt into a keyboard.

Oh, I don't know. Are you talking about getting a new keyboard or a vintage keyboard?
Maybe a new Unicomp Model M with a 1 year warranty to get into what a Model M is all about.
Or...
Find a used IBM Model M that preferably has a PS/2 or AT connector. If you get a terminal 101 or 102 key Model M, you can still swap the controller out with one from a PS/2 model.  Preferably getting one with an SDL cable. But then again, you're talking another $40+ expense for the controller and cable.

It's clearly a choice of how far you want to go with a Model M. To begin with I would still suggest a Unicomp and go from there.

If you want to see what I am going about just look at my Imgur albums.
http://snowdog993.imgur.com

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Row009

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 12:29:35 »

Oh, I don't know. Are you talking about getting a new keyboard or a vintage keyboard?
Maybe a new Unicomp Model M with a 1 year warranty to get into what a Model M is all about.
Or...
Find a used IBM Model M that preferably has a PS/2 or AT connector. If you get a terminal 101 or 102 key Model M, you can still swap the controller out with one from a PS/2 model.  Preferably getting one with an SDL cable. But then again, you're talking another $40+ expense for the controller and cable.

It's clearly a choice of how far you want to go with a Model M. To begin with I would still suggest a Unicomp and go from there.

If you want to see what I am going about just look at my Imgur albums.
http://snowdog993.imgur.com

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks, I might go with a Kailh Box based keyboard (which will also give me compatibility with my current sets of keycaps). I think IBM's model M at 80 grams might be a bit heavy for what I like. I would love to try out SKCM Blue though, but I can not find one for a good price, I wounder why they don't manufacture that type of switch any more...
Lucky Chyrosran and his practically free recycling-centers keyboard finds  ;)

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 14:09:43 »
Matias makes a decent Alps clone.  It's based on the simplified Alps design, not complicated Alps like the blues, but the clicky version really isn't bad.  I'm less fond of their 'quiet click' (i.e., tactile...I don't know why they call it that) version. this can use them and though it doesn't quite fit your '$100 or under' budget it's not far away.

If you think you might like a more low-profile design then this is actually a really good keyboard for the price.  It uses Kailh's low profile switches which have a click bar (in fact that's where Kailh first came up with the click bar idea).

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 03:39:40 »
if you go for clicky, you should try Kailh box clicky serie