Author Topic: Is there something like a tented Atreus?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline pepijndevos

Is there something like a tented Atreus?
« on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 13:39:06 »
My main keyboard is an Atreus at the moment, and I love it.
I'm currently looking for something new for work, as I'm currently bringing the Atreus in every day.
This attest to the portability of the Atreus, and the nerves of my coworkers putting up with my MX Blues.

So I may very well end up buying another Atreus with quiet switches for work.
But I'm thinking... would it not be nice if there was something like an Atreus, but split?
I've never used a split keyboard, but tenting seems nice.

So I'm wondering if there is anything out there that's similar enough to an Atreus that I can type daily on both without confusing my brain too much, but in a split from so I can experiment with tenting.
The problem is that everything that seems remotely interesting is either twice the price of an Atreus, or permanently out of stock.

There are of course the Ergodox-EZ and Keyboardio, each at around $300. Very nice, but might as well get another Atreus kit.
I found the Iris, which seems nice, but out of stock. A new version seems to be in the works, stated to take 6-8 weeks.
Are there other similar kits out there you can actually buy?
Is it feasible to source your own parts and PCB, or does the small scale, shipping costs, lead times, etc. make that even slower than waiting for the Iris and pricier than a Keyboardio?

Offline geek128

Re: Is there something like a tented Atreus?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 08:25:04 »
if you're considering an ergodox/iris/keyboardio you seem to be fine with less/different columnar staggering as with the atreus.

Maybe a lets split (or similar) is an option? Just have the pinky on the outermost columns... and you've got the same keys as on your atreus ... plus a few more (you may ignore).