Author Topic: Post your tricked out CM QFRs  (Read 102115 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: Post your tricked out CM QFRs
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 16:50:43 »
Just dyed my QFR burgundy using VHT Vinyl Dye. There's some white residue/blotches around the case, but hopefully I can get rid of them with another coat next week.
Also bonus Bunnycap!

Is this the first dyed QFR top?

Interested in how this turns out.

So 1 day after spraying it, the texture feels good. Its not smooth, but a little rough. It could be a result of my poor painting/dying skills. But **** it, I don't want it to be smooth. The white residue came off after I rubbed them with a microfiber cloth and soapy water solution. So my case looks pretty sweet at this point. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. And I've yet to see anyone paint theirs burgundy :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 20:02:49 »
I've posted my keyboard to reddit a few times. Figured I'd put it here too, as I made my account today.

More
Show Image

This picture is from March. I can't take one right now, as I'm in Japan, but here's the best I can do.

How do you type with all those different profiles?

It's not hard once you get used to it. I'm a reasonably quick typist, with it after 6 months, so I get maybe 50 wpm. Considering I had to look at it when I typed when I first bought it, this is an improvement.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 20:12:19 »
I've posted my keyboard to reddit a few times. Figured I'd put it here too, as I made my account today.

More
Show Image

This picture is from March. I can't take one right now, as I'm in Japan, but here's the best I can do.

How do you type with all those different profiles?

It's not hard once you get used to it. I'm a reasonably quick typist, with it after 6 months, so I get maybe 50 wpm. Considering I had to look at it when I typed when I first bought it, this is an improvement.

Just wanted to say welcome to geekhack tacticalstache:) enjoy your stay.
Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰_Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰ ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็_ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 09:35:14 »
Thick Imsto PBT (including GH).  I call it Industrial QFR. 
Show Image

This one is sweet. Some of them on here are harder to look at than the original QFR lol.

Offline phoenixl1ght

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:17:08 »
Pretty simple but I like how the red back plating goes with the blanks.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:25:27 »
Show Image

I like the simplicity of it!

I do love the red back plate of this keyboards. I centered my design choice around the red back plate too! I posted this in another thread 2 weeks back but I'll post it here too :)

The entire keyboard is Red, White, and Black! From the case, keycaps, back plate, logo, and even down to the switches (MX Reds)!!!

Offline UniClown

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:48:32 »
Show Image

I do love the red back plate of this keyboards. I centered my design choice around the red back plate too! I posted this in another thread 2 weeks back but I'll post it here too :)

The entire keyboard is Red, White, and Black! From the case, keycaps, back plate, logo, and even down to the switches (MX Reds)!!!

Show Image
Show Image

That's weird. Your cases are both black whereas mine is grey. Also, my plate is just black, not red. Maybe you only get that color scheme with mx red or something.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:54:07 »
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

That's weird. Your cases are both black whereas mine is grey. Also, my plate is just black, not red. Maybe you only get that color scheme with mx red or something.

You are correct. QFR's with Blues, Browns, and Blacks come with a Grey case and black back plate. Only the QFR with Reds came with the Black case and Red back plate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 20:09:45 »
Show Image

Can't get much plainer than that.  Sometimes refreshing to see the opposite end of the spectrum to unicorn vomit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline halllo

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 11:39:55 »
just take the ducky pbt dye sub on QFR.. ;)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:37:58 »
Stripped all the rubber coating off and painted it chrome.  Turned out looking like polised aluminum with a clear coat, but is really hard to show in pictures.  Added some white dysub pbt caps and matching GH esc.  Cable is done in mdpc-x aquamarine blue.

27292-0

27294-1
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:41:14 »
Looks sweet  :D
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:53:50 »
Very nice!  Congrats on those caps--you got to them just before me :D
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 10:04:28 »
Cool! Looks like aluminum.
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 16:56:31 »
^ That's a nice combination - silver and white :)

I nearly got a set of those keycaps myself, but stopped short to save up for about 5 other sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:00:07 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:24:37 »
Very nice!  Congrats on those caps--you got to them just before me :D

Thanks.  I saw them and had to jump at that price.  I have been wanting to try PBT, and this was my chance.  I really like them.  I think they go nicely with the Blues.  I will be trying them on my Pure with reds after I get a feel for them. 

Looks sweet  :D

Thanks.

Cool! Looks like aluminum.

That is what I was going for.  The only problem is that is shows finger prints super easy. 

^ That's a nice combination - silver and white :)

I nearly got a set of those keycaps myself, but stopped short to save up for about 5 other sets.

Thanks.  The silver and white will be short lived.  I actually painted the board silver to go with the Miami GB set.   ;D.  Gotta have some bling to with with the pink and teal.  This white set will end up on my Pure as the white looks nice with the green leds.  Just trying to source a green 1.75 shift key and a white row 4 ~ (or blank). 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 18:55:40 »
I'm typing this on a white KeyCool with green LEDs (CAPS/Scroll only).  It is nice :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 20:47:58 »
Stripped all the rubber coating off and painted it chrome.  Turned out looking like polised aluminum with a clear coat, but is really hard to show in pictures.  Added some white dysub pbt caps and matching GH esc.  Cable is done in mdpc-x aquamarine blue.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Need to post a guide on this one!

How did you strip the original coating?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 20:56:12 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Need to post a guide on this one!

How did you strip the original coating?

It would be a boring guide. 

I started with 80 grit sandpaper to get through the majority of the rubber coating (sanded by hand and with the paper wrapped around a ruler for the inner areas).  After most of the rubber was gone, switched to 220 to get rid of the deep gouges from the 80 grit.  Then to 400 grit.  Sanding was all done by hand and took about 2 hours.  Once the case was pretty smooth, I applied several light coats of filler primer and let that cure for 24 hrs.  I then wet sand the primer with 2000 grit.  Then several coats of the chrome paint.  There is no clear over the chrome as doing so will cause it to get a strange dullness (even just dusting several coats of clear). 

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:18:59 »
All QFR switches have diode or only those 3 with led?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:29:39 »

none of the switches have diodes in them (except you mean light emitting diodes which are LEDs)

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:42:50 »

none of the switches have diodes in them (except you mean light emitting diodes which are LEDs)

I wonder if I can solder any switch in place of one of those three with led.

Sorry about my english. I may have not expressed myself right.  :confused:

Offline gnubag

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:46:06 »
you can replace all switches. they are all the same
those with leds you have to desolder/remove the leds first, then the switches.

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:51:06 »
you can replace all switches. they are all the same
those with leds you have to desolder/remove the leds first, then the switches.

Okay, thanks. Said that because I unsolder all switches and I'm keeping those three separately.  :))

Offline JoanneLee

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 23:36:26 »
Quick pictures of my lime green QFR Stealth

P1000623 by joanne.e.lee, on Flickr

QFR Stealth (After) by joanne.e.lee, on Flickr

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 00:02:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Fantastic!

And a prime candidate for the Toxic set! ;)

Offline UniClown

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 00:04:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Fantastic!

Hopefully he won't have to wait too long for that  :))

What paint did you use?

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 10:37:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Looks amazing, nice work  :D

Offline JoanneLee

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:12:38 »
Fantastic!

Hopefully he won't have to wait too long for that  :))

What paint did you use?

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch - Key Lime

Looks amazing, nice work  :D

Thanks!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:13:37 »
Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch - Key Lime

Good work :)  Glad to see someone else liking Rust-oleum stuff :)

Offline JoanneLee

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:27:03 »
Good work :)  Glad to see someone else liking Rust-oleum stuff :)

Thank you. Was my first time painting anything, good thing it didn't fail on me lol
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:30:27 by JoanneLee »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:32:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Did you have to sand it at all before painting it?  Doesn't it have a rubber coating?

Offline JoanneLee

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 15:36:32 »
Did you have to sand it at all before painting it?  Doesn't it have a rubber coating?

Yup. Took me a few hours to sand down the whole case.
If I were to do it again, I would have sand between coats too just to make it a little smoother

Offline phoenixl1ght

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 18:58:20 »
I tried without sanding and with, didn't notice any difference.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 19:16:17 »
Yeah, I don't sand too much nowadays.  I just select proper grit sandpaper for the job and smooth out to a certain extent only, because clear coat sanding/polishing is what makes a surface smooth in the end.  Spray cans introduce orange peel effect on their own, such is their limitation :(   The paint and spray can themselves create different textures.  For example my Ducky was not as smooth as my Filco Camo to start with, but the metal flake silver + clear coat on my Ducky came out much smoother than copper metallic paint did on the Filco.  Before any sanding / polishing.

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 01:21:10 »
Nothing too special, just red painted case and ragnarok set.

Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 01:25:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

That case and Rag set go very well together :)

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 01:42:35 »
Show Image

NICE.

The painted ones are pretty nice too.  Any problems with peeling or cracking over time?

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 05:23:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

Looks real good ^-^

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 07:23:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

Nice! I really like that.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 10:04:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

Nice. Is that a red brick?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 10:12:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

You've done a great job on that keyboard!  The case looks beautiful with the caps.  Very nice combination.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:06:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

I second (or 6th?) what all the others have said. I love it when the case matches the color of the legends. Here's my white vinyl wrapped case with DSA Retro keys.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:12:12 »
Mmm nice white!  Vinyl seems like an interesting option, as you can get some very interesting designs (I've been thinking about 3M wood patterns).  I still can't decide what to paint my second Filco in.  Vacillating between pearl white, darker steel metal flake, and orange metal flake.  Too many options, too few keyboards :(

Offline SeriouSSpotS

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 14:27:16 »
Interesting look.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:14:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

I second (or 6th?) what all the others have said. I love it when the case matches the color of the legends. Here's my white vinyl wrapped case with DSA Retro keys.

Show Image

Nice! I really like the DSA Retro on white.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:19:09 »
DSA Retro on beige would be really retro!

Offline icedogg

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 17:12:40 »
Just got 7 more keycaps in the mail today. Almost have all the keycap/techkeys caps so far...

QFR Greens - Unicorn Vomit....'
KB v60 Blues - Miami
*Join the Clicky Bangwagon...*

(>^.^)> Wanna Trade!? <(^.^<)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 18:45:46 »

Am I doing it right?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 19:01:32 »
I didn't know QFRs have such a light PCB!  I saw a green one on WFD's video.