Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4156854 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #27550 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 04:37:53 »
Depression. I wish I could either stop going to work or do something I give even the slightest crap about. I am wasting my life sitting at a desk doing nothing. I can't focus on the little work that I do have because it's so dull and because I constantly think about the time I'm wasting in that moment and how I can get out of it instead of the work at hand. 
I find there are two ways to look at pointless work - either it's holding you back or it's keeping you afloat financially while requiring minimal effort leaving most of your energy for non-work.

I agree with noisy though, if it's possible take a pay cut and go do something interesting.  I escaped an office job then spent a couple of months plumbing with my cousin and now work in a CNC place having gone in with no relevant experience or qualifications just some faked (can't know it will be good 'til you've done it) enthusiasm.

How do you tell if someone is simply a 'little person' or a leprechaun trying to lie and protect their treasure?

Eh... by their accent?  Abundance of green clothes?  Do they get shifty when it's sunny and rainy? :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27551 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 17:02:24 »
Depression. I wish I could either stop going to work or do something I give even the slightest crap about. I am wasting my life sitting at a desk doing nothing. I can't focus on the little work that I do have because it's so dull and because I constantly think about the time I'm wasting in that moment and how I can get out of it instead of the work at hand. 

Committing to a big change and getting out your comfort zone can work wonders for that.

I've been in that same kind of position you describe feeling constantly unfulfilled, bored, and low energy. Every single day was the same exact thing. After more than 3 years I had to get out of it and wound up taking a different job for a bit less money. The job wasn't necessarily more interesting, but it was different enough from anything else I'd been doing previously that it was at least satisfying on the level that I was fulfilling my purpose as a human by learning and honing new skills. So I felt like I was growing not in the job, but as a person.
Not too long after that I got a job that was both super challenging AND interesting, and instead of coming in there dead brained and jaded I was refreshed by this stop-gap work and nailed the next opportunity. Granted taking new risks and stepping out of your comfort zone when things are stable is really ****ing hard, but if you do nothing, nothing will happen.

Sometimes just doing something completely different from your norm can change your perspective enough to give you the fortitude keep going.

Thanks for the advice. I know you are right, and I have been thinking along these lines myself. It currently is really hard to move on because things are "comfortable" (weird to say because I want to die sometimes even though things aren't stressful or difficult). This job is easy and pays well (although I could make more), and the company has hemorrhaged so much staff in the past few years that I'd really have to screw up to lose my job here. On top of that, management and co-workers are very understanding and laid back. So it's secure, pays enough, laid back, and easy - just enough good things that it's scary to leave. But I feel useless and meaningless.

I was in customer support here for several years, and it was genuinely awful. Then I moved to software testing, and all the stress evaporated and I instantly felt that I was having a great impact because I came into the new role with years of experience and knew things my teammates didn't and there was a lot of work to do. Then about a year or year and a half ago, things slowed down and the nature of the workflow is such that I either can't help with certain things or other people who are also looking for things to do just gobble up the available work before I can get to it. At this point, I feel so disengaged that I can barely pay enough attention to keep up; I think this is because the mental energy to keep up with everything is far greater than the value I would add back by knowing what's going on.

I find there are two ways to look at pointless work - either it's holding you back or it's keeping you afloat financially while requiring minimal effort leaving most of your energy for non-work.

I agree with noisy though, if it's possible take a pay cut and go do something interesting.  I escaped an office job then spent a couple of months plumbing with my cousin and now work in a CNC place having gone in with no relevant experience or qualifications just some faked (can't know it will be good 'til you've done it) enthusiasm.

When I moved to my current role, I had a fantasy that I would suddenly have a lot more free time because work and stress wouldn't follow me home, but, of course, the day still has the same number of hours. I guess I technically have more free time at work, but it's hard to fill that time with anything productive for various reasons (mainly appearances).

It sounds like fun to work on something physical like plumbing or CNC. At least, you can actually see the work you've done and you get to move around a bit. My current fantasy is to teach English in Denmark (I'm not sure why Denmark, but I got it in my head somehow when watching Forbrydelsen) or possibly Germany, or maybe even teaching English Composition at a local college, but I have no qualifications, it would probably pay beans, and the former would require uprooting my whole life.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #27552 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 02:19:16 »
What bothers me? The fact that I don't have GMK Space Cadet.

This ran with one of the most interesting colevrak sets ever. The symbols kits were amazing. Both these kits were a lot cooler than the SA Symbiosis equivalents. Wish I had me multiples of those, plus the ErgoDox & Planck kits.

When it ran, I was tight on funds, in the middle of a move between states, and my girlfriend got into a fight with me about buying them. So I didn't join the GB.

I have thought about it ever since.

The one time Drop had a keycap recap stocking the ErgoDox kit was last April Fools day, which happened to be the same day Oblotzky pranked us with a 7BOT-style ordering scheme for GMK Oblivion V2. I really thought I might be able to make my ideal Oblivion kit happen, so I waited on the rekeycap, and someone else got the ErgoDox kit. The Oblivion thing was a joke, and I lost out BIG.

I was f-ing mad, and I'v have cursed that day ever since...

It'll kill me if the Colevrak & ErgoDox are left out of R2. Annoyingly, Oblotzky did it with Crimson Cadet, so I can't be sure now.

Last week Zambumon said he'd leave colevrak out of Nautilus V2. This whole concept of "oh, just wait til round 2" isn't very solid.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2020, 02:23:08 by equalunique »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27553 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 07:54:21 »

ERGODOX

Tp4 is a Lvl 99+15 Ergodox faithful.

Tp's Egdx is only capped using blank thicc pbt.

Labels are meaningless on the Ergodox, they simply do not match the myriad of Custom layouts that are out there.

Ergodox exceeds the feudal chains of keycap-Vanity.
Ergodox Defies convention
Ergodox IS FREEDOM.

Offline Dox

« Reply #27554 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 09:17:33 »
I've been using my original Ergodox for the last 8 years.
I miss building keyboards.
I ordered some switches. (so much more choices than 8 years ago!)
I ordered some keycaps.
What should I build now?
Should I design something or use some existing custom keyboard? The upcoming flx virgo seems interesting, but I'm not sure I could live with staggered columns...
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27555 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 18:08:11 »
Having strange problem where X randomly dies dumping me back at the login screen.  Sometimes not for hours, sometimes every five minutes.  Think this log file suggests it's my mouse even though the crash sometimes happens when I'm afk so it shouldn't be doing anything.

Code: [Select]
[   613.784] (II) libinput: EasyAVR Multimedia Keyboard v3.00.01: is a virtual subdevice
[   613.784] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-5/2-5:1.1/0003:03EB:20FF.0005/input/input6/event6"
[   613.784] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "EasyAVR Multimedia Keyboard v3.00.01" (type: KEYBOARD, id 21)
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LP2065 (DFP-0): connected
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LP2065 (DFP-0): Internal TMDS
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LP2065 (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-1: disconnected
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-1: Internal TMDS
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-1: 165.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: disconnected
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: Internal DisplayPort
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: 1440.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: disconnected
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: Internal TMDS
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: 165.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[  3600.922] (II) event2  - SteelSeries SteelSeries Rival 700 Gaming Mouse: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.
[  3985.469] (EE)
[  3985.469] (EE) Backtrace:
[  3985.469] (EE) 0: /usr/lib/Xorg (xorg_backtrace+0x4d) [0x564775aaa76d]
[  3985.469] (EE) 1: /usr/lib/Xorg (0x5647759f7000+0xa9cf8) [0x564775aa0cf8]
[  3985.469] (EE) 2: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x7f7bdfc50000+0x3bfb0) [0x7f7bdfc8bfb0]
[  3985.469] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (gsignal+0x145) [0x7f7bdfc8bf25]
[  3985.469] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (abort+0x12b) [0x7f7bdfc75897]
[  3985.469] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x7f7bdfc50000+0x7f258) [0x7f7bdfccf258]
[  3985.469] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x7f7bdfc50000+0x8677a) [0x7f7bdfcd677a]
[  3985.469] (EE) 7: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x7f7bdfc50000+0x89b6c) [0x7f7bdfcd9b6c]
[  3985.469] (EE) 8: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_calloc+0x85) [0x7f7bdfcdbc15]
[  3985.469] (EE) 9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so (0x7f7bde22c000+0x7199f) [0x7f7bde29d99f]
[  3985.469] (EE) 10: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so (0x7f7bde22c000+0x87321) [0x7f7bde2b3321]
[  3985.469] (EE) 11: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so (0x7f7bde22c000+0x876ac) [0x7f7bde2b36ac]
[  3985.469] (EE) 12: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so (0x7f7bde22c000+0x41e77) [0x7f7bde26de77]
[  3985.469] (EE) 13: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so (0x7f7bde22c000+0x4f41e1) [0x7f7bde7201e1]
[  3985.469] (EE)
[  3985.469] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[  3985.469] (EE) Caught signal 6 (Aborted). Server aborting

I don't have a spare mouse so can't test this theory.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27556 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 18:26:14 »
Having strange problem where X randomly dies dumping me back at the login screen.  Sometimes not for hours, sometimes every five minutes.  Think this log file suggests it's my mouse even though the crash sometimes happens when I'm afk so it shouldn't be doing anything.

Time to go back to OL'Reliablogitech.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27557 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 18:44:08 »

Time to go back to OL'Reliablogitech.
Surprisingly I've never had a Logitech, I only buy mice I can try in a shop as that's the only way to know if it fits your hand and there's always been a more comfortable option.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27558 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 19:25:59 »
Surprisingly I've never had a Logitech, I only buy mice I can try in a shop as that's the only way to know if it fits your hand and there's always been a more comfortable option.

G305,  great bat life, wired like wireless performance.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27559 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 20:07:59 »

G305,  great bat life, wired like wireless performance.

Or maybe their decent ones were all wireless - why pay more for added hassle (remembering to charge it, less of an issue as tech improves but it's still gonna be dead one day when you need it) and no benefit given that I don't own a laptop so my mouse is happily sat on my desk plugged in.  The G305 is marketed as light too so definitely not the one for me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2020, 04:43:23 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27560 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 20:10:05 »
Or maybe their decent ones were all wireless - why pay more for added hassle (remembering to charge it, less of an issue as tech improves but it's still gonna be dead one day when you need it) and no benefit given that I don't own a laptop so my mouse is happily sat on my desk plugged in.  The G305 is marketed as light too so definitely not the one for me.

Wireless has changed, I still recommend you try it.  it's alot better than it used to be.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27561 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 05:04:20 »
Wireless has changed, I still recommend you try it.  it's alot better than it used to be.
As a non-gamer who's not bothered by a wire please explain why I should buy the G Pro wireless over the wired G Pro (chosen as the only two logitech models with the same 'number')  I'd be spending twice as much to have one less button.  The only thing going for it is the significant weight increase but given that I don't trust the stated size maybe they weighed/measured the charger and cable too.

I've attempted to update my mouse's firmware, it's repeatedly told me it's failed but has reset the RGB and gone really slow dpi so it's done something - maybe it will be ok now.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27562 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 07:11:39 »

As a non-gamer who's not bothered by a wire please explain why I should buy the G Pro wireless (chosen as the only two logitech models with the same 'number')  I'd be spending twice as much to have one less button.  The only thing going for it is the significant weight increase but given that I don't trust the stated size maybe they weighed/measured the charger and cable too.

I've attempted to update my mouse's firmware, it's repeatedly told me it's failed but has reset the RGB and gone really slow dpi so it's done something - maybe it will be ok now.

you can use a wireless mouse in that little space directly under your keyboard. it's very comfy for non-gaming, where the wider area to the right isn't necessary.

A wired mouse can't be used that way, because the cord will be ontop of the keyboard.

You don' nee the Gpro wireless,  the G305 is the same sensor platform w/ better battery rig (you can use eneloops AA or foilball + AAA, lasts forever 2500 cycles).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27563 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:47:09 »
you can use a wireless mouse in that little space directly under your keyboard. it's very comfy for non-gaming, where the wider area to the right isn't necessary.

A wired mouse can't be used that way, because the cord will be ontop of the keyboard.

You don' nee the Gpro wireless,  the G305 is the same sensor platform w/ better battery rig (you can use eneloops AA or foilball + AAA, lasts forever 2500 cycles).

There's maybe half an inch in front of my keyboard so no mouse room there.  1800 keyboard minimises width and my mouse sits happily alongside it.

Uptime currently at 3 hours and no crash so maybe I can put this bother in the past, but the constantly changing RGB is starting to grate...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #27564 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 05:16:21 »

Code: [Select]
{...}
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LP2065 (DFP-0): connected
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LP2065 (DFP-0): Internal TMDS
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LP2065 (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   617.452] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-1: disconnected
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-1: Internal TMDS
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-1: 165.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: disconnected
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: Internal DisplayPort
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-2: 1440.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: disconnected
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: Internal TMDS
[   617.455] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-3: 165.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[  3600.922] (II) event2  - SteelSeries SteelSeries Rival 700 Gaming Mouse: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.
{...}
[  3985.469] (EE) 13: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so (0x7f7bde22c000+0x4f41e1) [0x7f7bde7201e1]
{...}
Fatal server error:
[  3985.469] (EE) Caught signal 6 (Aborted). Server aborting

to me i would suspect gpu drivers (try updating/reinstalling them), or, i use amd, but my fury nano did something similar when it overheats so if you have not dusted your computer in a while, might want to give that a try, and if it always did that and your card was used it might be mining firmware on it, it may crash normal drivers (had that as well on the fury, cheaper than normal often means that it will have issues) although for the firmware/overheat i have not have used an nvidia gpu in a long while (cause linux drivers where not quite there) so i may be wrong.

for me the mouse thing is that it tells you that as X crashed it did not process data from the mouse and lost it

i may be wrong in my interpretation of the dump though and mice are polled even when you are not in front of the pc (causing the crash even when you are not in front of it), but i have a hard time imagining what it could tell the pc causing X to crash.

and lastly you are on a laptop? (the dumps seems to refer to internal DP), if so try putting a fan or two blowing air under it
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27565 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 05:45:18 »
to me i would suspect gpu drivers (try updating/reinstalling them), or, i use amd, but my fury nano did something similar when it overheats so if you have not dusted your computer in a while, might want to give that a try, and if it always did that and your card was used it might be mining firmware on it, it may crash normal drivers (had that as well on the fury, cheaper than normal often means that it will have issues) although for the firmware/overheat i have not have used an nvidia gpu in a long while (cause linux drivers where not quite there) so i may be wrong.

for me the mouse thing is that it tells you that as X crashed it did not process data from the mouse and lost it

i may be wrong in my interpretation of the dump though and mice are polled even when you are not in front of the pc (causing the crash even when you are not in front of it), but i have a hard time imagining what it could tell the pc causing X to crash.

and lastly you are on a laptop? (the dumps seems to refer to internal DP), if so try putting a fan or two blowing air under it

Amazingly I clicked on this in Spy, started reading, then had my first 'crash' since Saturday lunchtime!

Card was bought new and has a big fanless heatsink, just checked and it's pleasant handwarming temperature which is unsurprising as I've not done anything GPU heavy this morning.  No dust as it's inverted near the top of the case with a couple of vented slot covers above.  You're right though - there's an nvidia line between the mouse and the crash so that does look like the cause, especially as there are 300 time units between the mouse message and the crash.  I've updated the drivers at least twice since this started happening.

Further check, 44*C in nvidia-settings but it's at performance level 2 which is the highest despite not doing anything.  Something is not right...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27566 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 09:42:30 »
Further check, 44*C in nvidia-settings but it's at performance level 2 which is the highest despite not doing anything.  Something is not right...

Is there a gpu load running in gpuz/afterburner,   or is it idling at pl2 without a load.

It could be a mining bot virus, suicidal_orange goin' too many naughty websites.

Mining bots used to run people's gpu @ 100%, they're smarter these days, and run a minuscule percentage dynamically

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27567 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 18:17:37 »
My tax return is literally half of what I'd been getting the past few years. My income hasn't changed, my filing hasn't changed. Nothing has changed, but somehow it's 50% less than it used to be. I don't get it.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27568 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 18:36:19 »
My tax return is literally half of what I'd been getting the past few years. My income hasn't changed, my filing hasn't changed. Nothing has changed, but somehow it's 50% less than it used to be. I don't get it.

When did the tax bracket changes kick in? Is that affecting it?
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27569 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 18:40:16 »

not sure, but I certainly didn't expect it to kill half my return. That's absurd.

It seems like everyone making 6 figures or more are getting much larger returns, while everyone else who actually needs the money is getting ****ed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27570 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 18:55:08 »

not sure, but I certainly didn't expect it to kill half my return. That's absurd.

It seems like everyone making 6 figures or more are getting much larger returns, while everyone else who actually needs the money is getting ****ed.

Have you seen that movie, In Time (2011),  Justin Timberlake.

One of the greatest movies EVER MADE.

Society is the way it is because we lack democracy, we've only ever had Oligarchy.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27571 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 19:33:58 »

Fixed that. This always happens when the Republican Party is in control.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/9/1918048/-Note-to-Millennials-Boomers-didn-t-screw-you-Conservatives-did?utm_campaign=trending
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27572 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 21:00:26 »

Fixed that. This always happens when the Republican Party is in control.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/2/9/1918048/-Note-to-Millennials-Boomers-didn-t-screw-you-Conservatives-did?utm_campaign=trending

Fohat,  you've been indoctrinated and brainwashed.

Democrats / Republicans are  just cover labels.

Beneath which is THE RICH  extracting from  THE POOR.  They occupy equal footing under both political banner.

The Democrats have as many billionaire patrons as the Republicans.

WHAT IS a Billionaire.    A Billionaire is no different from minor-Kings.

Rick & Morty (Look who's purging now) tried to explain this to the laymen as SIMPLY as possible.   by Pitting poor brainwashed indoctrinates against each other, The wealthy divert their audience's attention away from the true sinkhole,  Oligarchy.

The rich perpetuates the narrative, these representatives are good, these representatives are bad, this narrows the public's focus on the minor drama they've concocted..  MEANWHILE, the truth is THEY'RE ALL BAD.

Politicians do not represent anyone, politicians are just actors in a play.

The Few Banking institutions control the entirety of the United States.  The populace fight and die for their whim. The few banks are the major shareholders of EVERY large corporate firm. <public knowledge, look it up>

I don't think there's a better way to govern given the limits of human cognition, it is what it is.  but there is hope that AI will liberate us.

In terms of HUMAN leadership,  there is no Good-Guy to get behind, 0, absolutely none. Even if such a person is good for a few years, or his whole life,  the system naturally converts his legacy into the typical oligarch.

Then one might ask, Tp4,  is there a way out of this crummy loop.  The answer is YES,  Devote one's focus to AI, once the metal body is self sustaining,  We've transcended.   Our human children are not us. we live on through biological progeny. The best bet for Humanity is to Live on through our future Cylons.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27573 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 18:20:33 »

Is there a gpu load running in gpuz/afterburner,   or is it idling at pl2 without a load.

It could be a mining bot virus, suicidal_orange goin' too many naughty websites.

Mining bots used to run people's gpu @ 100%, they're smarter these days, and run a minuscule percentage dynamically

Linux doesn't have those apps.  There is a GPU utilisation item in nvidia-settings though and it says 44% so you might be on to something.  Searched for something similar found nvidia-smi which shows GPU processes one of which was my window manager, disabled compositing and that disappeared.  Closed nvidia-settings and now only xorg remains but GPU usage is still 25%+.  Temp <40 but that doesn't mean much as it's cold and has only been on half an hour...

Will it crash though?  Would it have with the slightly heavier load?  There's yet another graphics driver along with a new kernel in my updates so maybe that will fix it, if it wasn't already fixed :confused:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #27574 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 01:13:04 »
Linux doesn't have those apps.  There is a GPU utilisation item in nvidia-settings though and it says 44% so you might be on to something.  Searched for something similar found nvidia-smi which shows GPU processes one of which was my window manager, disabled compositing and that disappeared.  Closed nvidia-settings and now only xorg remains but GPU usage is still 25%+.  Temp <40 but that doesn't mean much as it's cold and has only been on half an hour...

Will it crash though?  Would it have with the slightly heavier load?  There's yet another graphics driver along with a new kernel in my updates so maybe that will fix it, if it wasn't already fixed :confused:

sadly, although most malware is still aimed at windows, some malware does exist for linux/macOS and javascript malware definitely can run on all OS (maybe except TempleOS but i am not sure that it makes it any better) and then if you have a gt210 it seems not that high just to run X.org (for non linux peoples, no this is not a xxx site) if you are on a gtx titan that is an other story (and there is a spectrum in between) and then your crash might have been cause by the new nvidia drivers in the kernel some cards may not be supported yet (still my experience with AMD, never get a GCN1 card to run on linux, it is not going to work on linux > 3, might have similar issues with new nvidia drivers) or your card may be dead, might want to try a furmark on windows and see if it crashes the same.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27575 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 05:32:18 »
Provience issued new license plates. Look at them..ugly af

If someone's speeding dangerously i can't really tell what their license plate says, i'll have to describe the car and it will end up wasting even more time
Compare the new one

To the old one:

Although it sometimes peels off which one do you think is easier to read?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27576 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 05:40:27 »
I went to two supermarkets in search for some pastry or other ... but all I could find contained palm oil.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27577 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 07:31:42 »

Provience issued new license plates.

States are rapidly going to the flat style, obviously they are cheaper and faster to produce.

My impression is that everybody hates them and they are certainly harder to read.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27578 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 15:32:30 »

sadly, although most malware is still aimed at windows, some malware does exist for linux/macOS and javascript malware definitely can run on all OS (maybe except TempleOS but i am not sure that it makes it any better) and then if you have a gt210 it seems not that high just to run X.org (for non linux peoples, no this is not a xxx site) if you are on a gtx titan that is an other story (and there is a spectrum in between) and then your crash might have been cause by the new nvidia drivers in the kernel some cards may not be supported yet (still my experience with AMD, never get a GCN1 card to run on linux, it is not going to work on linux > 3, might have similar issues with new nvidia drivers) or your card may be dead, might want to try a furmark on windows and see if it crashes the same.

I meant the apps suggested to see GPU processess aren't available in Linux, not the malware.  Not heard of TempleOS so might have to look that up if it's a possible shield, thanks for mentioning.

Having had little computer time since writing the above (going to work early, ISP killing the internet shortly after I get home) I have not had another crash but that's not saying much.  Currently running glxgears as a 'stress test' but my 1050ti is managing 14,000+ fps and only showing 95% gpu usage, it's been running about 15 minutes and only got to 45*C.  It's no furmark but way more load than web browsing which is when it usually crashes.  If only someone had made a half decent fanless AMD card I'd have bought it, but they didn't...

Windows 7 is dead so windows is no longer an option, if you're wondering about the avoidance :thumb:

Edit:  Made the window bigger, 99% GPU usage for 20 minutes - 50*C and no crash.  Guess it is/was the drivers.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2020, 15:59:20 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27579 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 19:27:23 »

Provience issued new license plates.

States are rapidly going to the flat style, obviously they are cheaper and faster to produce.

My impression is that everybody hates them and they are certainly harder to read.

you are correct

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27580 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 19:32:14 »
Google Pay is 100% useless. You can't use it in any stores or online, there's literally zero point to linking your card to it. It does absolutely nothing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27581 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 21:16:09 »
Google Pay is 100% useless. You can't use it in any stores or online, there's literally zero point to linking your card to it. It does absolutely nothing.

In america it's not catchin' on,  but everywhere else,  digi-wallet replaces cash, <Except for Drooogz buying>

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27582 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 21:30:31 »

In america it's not catchin' on,  but everywhere else,  digi-wallet replaces cash, <Except for Drooogz buying>

I think you can use it Whole Foods, but I'm not freakin' Rich Uncle Pennybags over here. I shop at an actual grocery store.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27583 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 22:24:20 »

Idk bout google wallet, but most places have the scanners now , i've used samsung pay in alot of places.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27584 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 19:34:21 »
X crashed again so the problem has not gone away.  Removed graphics card, let's see if I can tell the difference between a 1050ti and the dodgy Iris Pro 5200 integrated while waiting (hopefully) a very long time to be sure the lack of crashing isn't a coincidence.

Edit:  Ran memtest overnight, apparently it now thinks 3 passes is enough.  No errors so I guess that's another distant option ruled out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2020, 03:38:14 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27585 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 17:52:42 »
Near work is a wannabe building site.  I say wannabe because it's actually still a field which has been abandoned by the workmen destroying the hedges etc due to flooding.  It flooded last year too.  That's what happens here - fields flood, the place is named based on this fact.  Today I learned in addition to this stupidity (what moron wants to rent a building that's going to flood?) they're planning to fill in a large pond nearby and assumedly remove the really old tree next to it to build yet another McDonalds, because whatever food they're offering just the other side of the road at the soon-to-open service station isn't enough.  I'm bothered by the destruction of yet more wild areas in my little corner of the world which is known for being green, mainly that I will no longer have to dodge mice on my way home because the speedy little buggers will be homeless.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27586 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 18:25:37 »

(what moron wants to rent a building that's going to flood?)

I recently divorced and moved back to the state of my birth and the city where I lived in the 1980s-1990s and where most of my friends and family live.

In the late-1970s-early-1980s I lived in Florida, renting a house at the end of a straight street that went down a hill and stopped at a patch of woods with a river inside. The street had been built 20 years earlier but the last 2 houses (including the one I rented) had been built recently. Did I mention that there had been a 10-year dry spell? After half a year, there was a rainy summer and the river flooded, coming several inches into the house.

Since then, I have always lived on a hill.

But last month, I rented a house 2/3 of the way down a steep hill, and 4 days after I moved in the basement flooded, damaging much of my stuff that was stored there. The landlord (my nephew - aarrrgh!) had assured me that he had had it properly waterproofed!

TL;DR - ALWAYS LIVE AT THE TOP OF A HILL !
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27587 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 18:42:21 »

(what moron wants to rent a building that's going to flood?)

I recently divorced and moved back to the state of my birth and the city where I lived in the 1980s-1990s and where most of my friends and family live.

In the late-1970s-early-1980s I lived in Florida, renting a house at the end of a straight street that went down a hill and stopped at a patch of woods with a river inside. The street had been built 20 years earlier but the last 2 houses (including the one I rented) had been built recently. Did I mention that there had been a 10-year dry spell? After half a year, there was a rainy summer and the river flooded, coming several inches into the house.

Since then, I have always lived on a hill.

But last month, I rented a house 2/3 of the way down a steep hill, and 4 days after I moved in the basement flooded, damaging much of my stuff that was stored there. The landlord (my nephew - aarrrgh!) had assured me that he had had it properly waterproofed!

TL;DR - ALWAYS LIVE AT THE TOP OF A HILL !

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you were a moron :-[  The sign on this site is advertising storage/industrial units for rent so while individuals can be tricked into buying such properties I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to rent a building for business without doing their homework.  Floods are not rare here and much like your newer house stuck on the end there's a reason some areas aren't built on, but I guess unscrupulous developers don't care.

I wonder how wet the people at the bottom of your current steep hill got, assuming your basement does not have a really high ceiling I'm guessing that was not fun.  Or maybe it's a short but steep hill...

Another annoyance - my house is within a mile of a river that floods so although three story buildings would have to be submerged for a square mile or more before it gets anywhere near us our house insurance costs more.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2020, 18:45:02 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27588 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 19:17:03 »

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you were a moron

No, you were right, I was a moron.

Nobody downhill from me, just a railroad track. There was not a flood at the bottom of the slope, in my case it was simply that the foundation wall did not hold the large amount of groundwater coming at it.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27589 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 21:03:10 »

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you were a moron

No, you were right, I was a moron.

Nobody downhill from me, just a railroad track. There was not a flood at the bottom of the slope, in my case it was simply that the foundation wall did not hold the large amount of groundwater coming at it.

Weather has become unpredictable.

Climate change is upon us.

There's only 1 solution.  The entirety of humanity has go Plant-Based.

Driving less/solar/wind all good things, but in totality they will make too little a difference.

Animal agriculture is the single largest driver of climate change.

Offline yui

« Reply #27590 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 01:01:31 »

Weather has become unpredictable.

Climate change is upon us.

There's only 1 solution.  The entirety of humanity has go Plant-Based.

Driving less/solar/wind all good things, but in totality they will make too little a difference.

Animal agriculture is the single largest driver of climate change.

the whole of developed humanity need to eat less meat, none at all is 1 extreme, and 2 actually proved to be detrimental to us, the recomended intake of meat/egg/fish is about 100g per day, last stats i saw was more than 400g per day in the USA
Like with everything else when you abuse it there are consequences, although the other extreme is not actually better, need to find the right middle ground. (here most frozen burgers are 100g, i do not know what it does in imperial units but we should eat about half a burger per meal)
And also for peoples like Tp4, yeah parts of those 100g can be mushrooms but then you may become an oversized italian plumber one day.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27591 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 02:25:15 »

the whole of developed humanity need to eat less meat, none at all is 1 extreme, and 2 actually proved to be detrimental to us, the recomended intake of meat/egg/fish is about 100g per day, last stats i saw was more than 400g per day in the USA
Like with everything else when you abuse it there are consequences, although the other extreme is not actually better, need to find the right middle ground. (here most frozen burgers are 100g, i do not know what it does in imperial units but we should eat about half a burger per meal)
And also for peoples like Tp4, yeah parts of those 100g can be mushrooms but then you may become an oversized italian plumber one day.

From the perspective of health only,  any movement in the direction of LESS is better.

HOWEVER,  looking at the ecological impact of the practice, WE ARE OUT OF TIME.

I'm not even opposed to maybe Bringing it back in 50 years.

But for AT LEAST 50-100 years, we have to abolish animal agriculture.

If we miss the target,  it's all that biblical stuff for reals.

Australia, not an accident,  only the beginning.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27592 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 17:47:41 »
Recruiters setting up interviews, then not calling when they say... or at all.
Recruiters saying to come in for an interview, when what they really mean is an initial short meeting that could easily be done over the phone and wasting my time.
Recruiters calling with important information with accents so thick I can barely tell what they are saying.
Applying for recruiter positions knowing everything that sets a good and bad recruiter apart, because you've been dealing with them for nearly a decade. Then being told you don't have enough experience to do what these incompetent cold-calling fools do.

I hate the current state of the US tech industry so SO much.

Offline yui

« Reply #27593 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:45:03 »
Recruiters setting up interviews, then not calling when they say... or at all.
Recruiters saying to come in for an interview, when what they really mean is an initial short meeting that could easily be done over the phone and wasting my time.
Recruiters calling with important information with accents so thick I can barely tell what they are saying.
Applying for recruiter positions knowing everything that sets a good and bad recruiter apart, because you've been dealing with them for nearly a decade. Then being told you don't have enough experience to do what these incompetent cold-calling fools do.

I hate the current state of the US tech industry so SO much.

To be fair with the US tech industry, living in france i had the same problem, i would actually guess that it is everywhere, every enterprise here says that there is so difficult to recruit anyone but if you have less than 5 years of experience they do not even bother to reply to you... so yeah of course when you shunt all the potential workforce you ain't gonna find anyone.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27594 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 19:28:17 »
My local grocery store no longer carries both Kewpie and Jufran, so now I need to order it off Amazon and support that ****ing death march machine.  >:D

I always make it a point to tell the staff at a store how much I appreciate that they carry some specialty item so they keep doing it, I feel personally attacked by this!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27595 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 20:48:29 »
My local grocery store no longer carries both Kewpie and Jufran, so now I need to order it off Amazon and support that ****ing death march machine.  >:D

I always make it a point to tell the staff at a store how much I appreciate that they carry some specialty item so they keep doing it, I feel personally attacked by this!

Tp4 recommends Vegenaise

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27596 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 22:00:55 »

Tp4 recommends Vegenaise

Isn't that just made from oil with no eggs in it at all?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27597 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 05:18:25 »
Isn't that just made from oil with no eggs in it at all?

It could be made from any number of emulsification processes.

Eggs = Cholesterol Bombs.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27598 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 05:39:29 »
Chemistry is seriously making me stressed

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27599 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 08:27:41 »
Ashes but they're off now