Author Topic: [IC] GMK WoB/BoW Icon extension kit (LIVE! AWAITING GB THREAD APPROVAL)  (Read 35626 times)

Offline OtherAndrew

Re: [IC] GMK WoB/BoW Icon extension kit (HUGE UPDATE! Kits+BoW)
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 18:43:39 »
Including the bottom row in the set with icons might boost the sale so much since it can be purchased to match so many sets even tho you dont have BOW / WOB

lol no

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 19:30:21 »
this is interesting. but, what is the actual color of the white base of the BoW caps?

reallly hoping its CP white to use with stormtrooper

Offline diorite

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 21:03:40 »
WoB + BoW accents TGR Alice by Yuktsi

Show Image

Show Image

Proposed combined kit (esc added):
Show Image

These renders are beautiful! Excited to see what the combined kit pricing will look like.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 06:45:37 »
this is interesting. but, what is the actual color of the white base of the BoW caps?

Heyo! Sorry to say, I went with WS1 which I believe is the most popular BoW currently, with over 1000 kits in circulation. I believe the modern white right now is ws1, so I catered to that. Sorry!

WoB + BoW accents TGR Alice by Yuktsi

Show Image

Show Image

Proposed combined kit (esc added):
Show Image

These renders are beautiful! Excited to see what the combined kit pricing will look like.

Hey, yeah! Not many comments at all regarding the render quality - they're outstanding IMO! Thanks for noticing! :)

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 06:54:51 »
I’m definitely in for a WoB set but have no interest in BoW, so I hope they don’t end up combined

Offline dk4one

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 07:27:02 »
+1 for a combined kit.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 12:58:15 »

Heyo! Sorry to say, I went with WS1 which I believe is the most popular BoW currently, with over 1000 kits in circulation. I believe the modern white right now is ws1, so I catered to that. Sorry!

I’m definitely in for a WoB set but have no interest in BoW, so I hope they don’t end up combined

I understand the color decision, but since i would not be able to use the BoW caps, i also would not want to buy a combined kit. hoping there will be an option where they are separate

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 14:03:42 »

I understand the color decision, but since i would not be able to use the BoW caps, i also would not want to buy a combined kit. hoping there will be an option where they are separate

Yeah, I see what you mean. If the price point of combining the kits is good enough where I believe people who only want one kit will think that it's still worth it, I will combine them. It all depends on the quotes that we get back.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 15:44:07 »

Yeah, I see what you mean. If the price point of combining the kits is good enough where I believe people who only want one kit will think that it's still worth it, I will combine them. It all depends on the quotes that we get back.

seems like you could offer both options - combined kit for reduced cost, and each kit individually. both types of buyers would contribute to moq and price drops, it would just be something for the vendor to track

not like adding a child kit that might not make it unless you combine with a base kit.

Offline diorite

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 17:33:57 »

seems like you could offer both options - combined kit for reduced cost, and each kit individually. both types of buyers would contribute to moq and price drops, it would just be something for the vendor to track

not like adding a child kit that might not make it unless you combine with a base kit.

Pretty sure that would be splitting up the moq, too. I think it might be better overall to have one option.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 18:02:17 »
The OP can offer both, join and split sets, alternatives and see which one reaches MoQ.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 09:48:22 »
Hi Everyone, small update:

KBDFans will be proxying for asia! It worked really well for Nines, and I am happy to partner up with good ole Wei for this as well! <3

I expect quotes from GMK this week, after that it will take a few days to sync pricing before I can reveal it here.

As for offering both combined and split, sorry - I don't think that's a good idea. :/ I will gather my thoughts and feedback after I know the pricing as the initial plan was. I won't offer the combined kit if the pricing isn't good enough where I believe people who only want one will be happy to pay for the combined.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 10:05:06 »
Main reason I'm against combined is I didn't get GMK Minimal for the reason of text only mods and I'd have to get it otherwise.

I own GMK Barebones Stormtrooper and that doesn't use WS1 for the white so I wouldn't want to get the white ones in a combined kit as they wouldn't be useful.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 10:36:45 »
Main reason I'm against combined is I didn't get GMK Minimal for the reason of text only mods and I'd have to get it otherwise.

I own GMK Barebones Stormtrooper and that doesn't use WS1 for the white so I wouldn't want to get the white ones in a combined kit as they wouldn't be useful.

Exactly, I fully understand that. That is why I said I will see if I think the pricing for a combined kit is good enough where someone such as yourself would still get the combined kit, even though you don't care for one of them. :)

Offline appaboy

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 03:30:58 »
Hi Everyone, small update:

KBDFans will be proxying for asia! It worked really well for Nines, and I am happy to partner up with good ole Wei for this as well! <3

I expect quotes from GMK this week, after that it will take a few days to sync pricing before I can reveal it here.

As for offering both combined and split, sorry - I don't think that's a good idea. :/ I will gather my thoughts and feedback after I know the pricing as the initial plan was. I won't offer the combined kit if the pricing isn't good enough where I believe people who only want one will be happy to pay for the combined.

sounds good! excited to hear the outcome!
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 03:37:39 »
We've reached out to gmk but still no reply, I hear this is because the vacation period - and I guess gmk employees need their vacation too 😂 I hope we can hear back asap, I'll let you guys know.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 08:21:57 »
Quotes arrived, now syncing pricing with vendors! Will let you know ASAP!

Offline voxkey

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 09:17:47 »
Really excited for this. Thanks, Emir!

Offline dhb82

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 09:59:21 »
Very exciting, thanks for the update

Offline jordowag

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 10:11:36 »
Just got my WoB kit from Drop! Can't wait to get this beau too :D

Offline evorus5

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 18:26:59 »
In for this !

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 03:57:28 »
Hmm, a bit of a dilemma here...

WoB Hiragana with icon mods is set to run concurrently with this, and being a 60% basekit, it will compete with this pretty heavily and have attractive pricing (guessing here).

The pricing for EU and US for combined kit is the following:
US - 54.99USD
EU: 56 Euro

IMO the combined kit pricing is good enough where it's worth getting even if only interested in one, for the accent possibilities. It saved quite a bit compared to splitting.

What do you think guys? Should I delay, should we go through with it as it targets different markets?

Let me know, this is about all of us that are interested, I like to be as transparent as I can.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 04:05:04 »
Hmm, a bit of a dilemma here...

WoB Hiragana with icon mods is set to run concurrently with this, and being a 60% basekit, it will compete with this pretty heavily and have attractive pricing (guessing here).

The pricing for EU and US for combined kit is the following:
US - 54.99USD
EU: 56 Euro

IMO the combined kit pricing is good enough where it's worth getting even if only interested in one, for the accent possibilities. It saved quite a bit compared to splitting.

What do you think guys? Should I delay, should we go through with it as it targets different markets?

Let me know, this is about all of us that are interested, I like to be as transparent as I can.
Thanks for the update Mr. Emir. WoB Hiragana is a 60% (niche) Hiragana (niche) set. Its a very niche within niche set! WoB extension kit is supposed to go with and support the full WoB set. Very different market and different target audience. Pricing for combined kit is very attractive, and I don't see a reason to split into separate kit. I think a combined kit is a right move. Very nice!

Offline dhb82

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 04:10:51 »
Is it possible to get it made at the same time, to maybe lower the price ?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2019, 15:17:52 by dhb82 »

Offline Degree

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 04:18:17 »
I'd say run it, Hirgana has a different target audience. Also think the combined kit is worth it, don't think a lot of people will disagree

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 05:44:41 »
Agree with previous posts. Hiragana is something different. This one should hit the market.

Offline yaya

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 08:03:15 »
Personally, if they run at the same time, the only way I'm picking this set up vs WoB Hiragana is if you separate kits and the WoB is far cheaper.  Otherwise, I'd assume get bottom row icons and the Hiragana alphas along with it.

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 10:11:10 »
I'm personally more interested in the BoW mods. So if this didn't run then it wouldn't be possible to get BoW icon mods. Like the others have said, I would run with the combined set. If anyone doesn't want their extra BoW set I can take it off their hands ;)

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 14:09:54 »
I know this might not be feasible, BUT... I'll just get it off my chest.

The concept is great, but there aren't enough icon keycaps. Ideally (IMHO, YMMV, WDIKAA), all non-alphas in a base kit should be present: that means the bottom row mods, the uppper half of the nav cluster and the Esc key should be present as well (OTOH, space bars, arrows and the F1..F12 keys can be ignored safely); Num Lock and Enter from the numpad as well.

Imagine any of those larger kits with several sets of alphas. Get a base kit, get the alternate alphas... use the "base" alphas with a "mods!" kit, like what this one could be.

Also, N9/U9. Because obviously.  :D

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Re: [IC] GMK WoB/BoW Icon extension kit (Launch 22/07, pricing revealed!)
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 07:02:37 »
This will go into GB the 22nd! That is this coming Monday, and will run until 31st of August.

Pricing + Vendors:
EU: Mykeyboard.eu - 56 Euro
US: CannonKeys - 54,99USD
Asia: KBDFans - 59,99USD

We will only offer the combined kit, I think the pricing is good! It was a difficult decision, but offering single kits was not worth it looking at the price, and I fear it'd struggle. I hope people who only want either/or will still consider this, as the accent combinations are vast!

Thanks everyone! :)

Offline Delirious

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:21:01 »
Even though too late to change anything, but I would like to point out a few things because I was very interested in this IC.

1. Combined kit: not buying something that 50% of the kit is useless right off the bat
2. No bottom row: really pushing buyer's flexibility here, one of the best things about gmk is mix-n-match, but you cant do that with this even though this is an "extension" in a sense.
3. Esc key: this is another head scratching decision. Esc slot is notorious for artisan key so it's not a game changing addition. Secondly this contradicts your original intention of "extension kit" whereas you want buyers to use this in conjunction with other readily available set: you introduce a not so frequently use duplicate.

Between point 1 to 2 to 3, my chance of seeing this kit as anything useful cuts down to about 20-30%. It is an extension that doesnt really extend the flexibility of cap choice, color mixing, or extra key usage. I barely browse GH these days so my apology for the late critique, didnt really change anything. I wish you a successful gb so we can get maybe round 2 or round 3 of a true extension kit in the near future.

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:23:36 by Delirious »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 09:52:04 »
Even though too late to change anything, but I would like to point out a few things because I was very interested in this IC.

1. Combined kit: not buying something that 50% of the kit is useless right off the bat
2. No bottom row: really pushing buyer's flexibility here, one of the best things about gmk is mix-n-match, but you cant do that with this even though this is an "extension" in a sense.
3. Esc key: this is another head scratching decision. Esc slot is notorious for artisan key so it's not a game changing addition. Secondly this contradicts your original intention of "extension kit" whereas you want buyers to use this in conjunction with other readily available set: you introduce a not so frequently use duplicate.

Between point 1 to 2 to 3, my chance of seeing this kit as anything useful cuts down to about 20-30%. It is an extension that doesnt really extend the flexibility of cap choice, color mixing, or extra key usage. I barely browse GH these days so my apology for the late critique, didnt really change anything. I wish you a successful gb so we can get maybe round 2 or round 3 of a true extension kit in the near future.

Show Image

Thank you for taking the time to note down your thoughts! Very well written feedback and I do agree, but I feel that you slightly misunderstand the point of this kit.
This kit is for one simple reason, to provide icon modifiers for WoB and BoW. This is a spin off of the kit that ran in 2016, that a lot of people missed and have been hunting - this is just a rerun with extended and modernized layout.

It's pretty simple - you have WoB and want to use Icon mods, but none of the frequently in stock WoB sets feature icon mods (except candykeys, but that base is very limited). This allows, at a pretty cheap price, for you to use icon mods with those. Minimal sold over 1k sets, so I think a fair few would care for icon mods for BoW as well (as voiced here and in other channels). Combining these may seem dumb, but it allows for a better price as well as accenting.

It was a difficult decision, but I still believe it was the right one. If I put myself in consumer shoes (well, I am a consumer and I want this), I would be willing to pay the kit price even if I only wanted one, which is ultimately why I decided to combine these.

Again, thank you for your well written feedback, I really appreciate it!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:13:24 »

Show Image

I think OP mainly wanted this to work for WoB & BoW. Not a modifier ext. kit to be used to mix and match for the large range of GMK colors. 

There are many nice ways to use the kit. The "extra" Esc key can work well, as a accent for people with only one set of WoB or BoW.

The combined price just makes it alot cheaper in the end for everybody. Ex. Even though if you are only in need of WoB Icons. You can share the kit with a colleague etc.
You both end up getting a single colorway kit price much cheaper in the end ;)

My level of kit usefulness combining WoB & BoW is now at 97% ^-^

MUST BUY  :p

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:50:52 »
my chance of seeing this kit as anything useful cuts down to about 20-30%.

Probably just you tbh.

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 11:51:57 »
How long is this kit running for?

Offline dhb82

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 15:31:03 »
This will go into GB the 22nd! That is this coming Monday, and will run until 31st of August.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 15:35:50 »
How long is this kit running for?

This Monday until the last day of august (31st). :)

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 15:39:07 »
Great, thanks; I'll definitely be picking this up then

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 04:57:57 »
Great, thanks; I'll definitely be picking this up then

Thank you for your patronage!

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 08:28:24 »

Show Image

+1 on everything

I was initially very hyped for this. The points above, however, have limited my interest considerably; particularly combining both colourways into a single kit.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 09:23:03 »

Show Image

+1 on everything

I was initially very hyped for this. The points above, however, have limited my interest considerably; particularly combining both colourways into a single kit.

I understand what you mean, but looking at the full picture it's really the only way that makes sense to me, MOQ-hitting wise and price wise.

Combining allows me to aim for higher MOQ quote, which makes it cheaper overall. You are losing out on ~13 euro by buying combined. With that info at hand, I hope you can reconsider.

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 09:31:22 »
I'm hyped for this at least – just ordered both the BoW and WoB NorDeUK++ kit as well. Now I only need BoW and WoB base... lol.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Re: [IC] GMK WoB/BoW Icon extension kit (LIVE! AWAITING GB THREAD APPROVAL)
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 04:34:30 »
aaand we are live! Thank you for being there for the first part of the journey, let's get this rolling for real! :)

Pricing + Vendors:
EU: Mykeyboard.eu - 56 Euro
US: Cannonkeys - 54,99USD
Asia: KBDFans - 59,90USD

GB Thread up soon, awaiting approval!
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:10:55 by Emir »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:14:09 »
Will you add the two non-stepped windowed Caps Lock keys if this hits a higher number of units sold (e.g. 250)? :D

Послато са SM-J510FN помоћу Тапатока.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:14:59 »
Will you add the two non-stepped windowed Caps Lock keys if this hits a higher number of units sold (e.g. 250)? :D

Quote is based on 250 MOQ, which is a stretch - but I wanted to offer attractive pricing so we took the risk. If it hits 500 (highly unlikely I think...) I will definitely look to add keys!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:17:59 »
Oh, I assumed it was 100 due to the stock colors used. Alright, that sounds good, though I think 500 sold is unlikely as well.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:21:34 »
Oh, I assumed it was 100 due to the stock colors used. Alright, that sounds good, though I think 500 sold is unlikely as well.

Stock colors are 150 MOQ for GMK to make, but they quote for 250 and 500 too, at cheaper prices. Set will get made at 150, but we based pricing expecting to sell 250, this allows us to offer it at a better price.

A risky gamble, but I think 250 is not unreasonable for this!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:23:15 »
Yeah, 150 is what I meant, thanks for the correction.

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 15:53:56 »
Huh, are there any downsides to ordering from KBDFans even if you're not based in Asia? Free shipping makes it cheaper for me to buy from there than the other vendors, and AFAIK they sometimes/often undervalue the package too so there's no import fees...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:53:59 »
Would be in if the sets were separated.