Author Topic: Soldering a keyboard with a laptop in front of you?  (Read 4649 times)

Offline ShangWang

Soldering a keyboard with a laptop in front of you?
« on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 11:50:49 »
I plan on doing soldering work on a keyboard with a laptop in front of me in a small room, I don't have a fume extractor but I'd have the door open with a fan blowing air behind me toward the door. My table is right beside the door.

In general, even with the soldering happening in front of a working laptop, should there not be any fumes being sucked into the laptop fan intake, or is it not worth risking? I believe the fan intake is only at the bottom of the laptop, and I would assume the fumes rise quickly so there wouldn't be any risk but I'm not sure.

Is there anyone who does soldering with a laptop in front of them?

Offline vvp

Re: Soldering a keyboard with a laptop in front of you?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 14:27:16 »
I would be more scared about touching the laptop with the hot iron by mistake instead of the laptop fan sucking some soldering smoke.

Offline ShangWang

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 15:25:27 »
I would be more scared about touching the laptop with the hot iron by mistake instead of the laptop fan sucking some soldering smoke.
I see, the laptop would be right in front of the keyboard, but I guess it's safer not to have it near it in the first place.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 June 2023, 17:25:31 »
I was kind of surprised just how close my fume extractor (based on a high powered 140mm fan) needs to be in order to have any noticeable effect...
The laptop is fine.

I'm with VVP in worrying more about the laptop being touched by the iron.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 12:51:40 »
Perhaps more relevant than the fumes is the solder itself: solder tends to spit when you’re working with an iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk