geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

TMK IBM PC Keyboard Converter

<< < (47/50) > >>

hasu:
Confirmed IBM 5576-002 support and fixed minor bug.
New IBMPC converter firmware is available now at online editor and github repo.

5576-003 should work also but not confirmed yet. Anyone with the keyboard, let me know your result.

depletedvespene:
What is the proper "magic" sequence when plugging the IBMPC-USB converter to force it into the bootloader?

I loaded TMK onto a (orihalcon-made) Soarer's Converter cable. It works, but I forgot to add the BTLD command to the layout and now I can't go into the bootloader mode to make further changes to the layout I want.

FULL GORY STORY AHEAD:

I have plenty of (orihalcon-made) Soarer's Converter cables. As you surely know, Soarer is by now abandonware and I've run out of patience. I figured that, given those cables have an ATmega32U4 chip, it should be possible to load TMK onto them and use them as TMK cables instead. So...

* I went to the TMK Keymap Editor, IBMPC-USB Converter(ATmega32U4) , defined my layout and downloaded the unimap.hex file.
* I started QMK Toolbox, opened unimap.hex, set Auto-Flash on.
* I ran Soarer's SCBOOT.EXE to force the Soarer's Converter cable into bootloader mode.
* Automatically, QMK Toolbox flashed the .hex file onto the cable.
* I unplugged and replugged the cable, and it is now detected and works as a "TMK IBM PC keyboard converter (FEED:1BEE:0201)".

Given this was now working, I decided to make a few further adjustments to the layout in the Editor. After downloading the new .hex file, I realized I could not go into the bootloader, as I had forgotten to add the BTLD command in the first layout. Soarer's Converter cables do NOT have a physical RESET button, so that is not an option.

Running SCBOOT.EXE again does not work, as the cable is not recognized as a Soarer's Converter anymore.

According to https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/TMK-Magic-Command , there should be Magic commands available, including Shift-Shift-Space-B to jump to bootloader, but I haven't been able to make that work, either. So, I got this datum wrong AND/OR I'm doing something incorrectly.

So, what is or should be the way to go into the bootloader?

Thanks.

P.S: upon boot, TMK reports itself as TMK:56e88e/LUFA:d6a7df .

hasu:
I just checked source codes in repository.
Current default prebuilt firmwares doesn't support 'Magic commands', you can't  unfortunately.

Around Aug, 2021 I disabled the feature apparently for some reason that I can't remember.
I'll update firmware with enabling 'Magic commands' again on next release. With the new firmware you will use key combo like 'LShift+RShift+Pause' or 'LAlt+RAlt+Pause' to enter bootloader/programming mode.

--- Code: ---        - Magic -
d:      debug
x:      debug matrix
k:      debug keyboard
m:      debug mouse
v:      version
s:      status
c:      console mode
0-4:    layer0-4(F10-F4)
Paus:   bootloader
n:      NKRO

--- End code ---

But this can't help you in this situation...

Assuming Orihalcon converter doesn't have reset/program button, this would be only feasible method that I can come up.
You may want to ask Orihalcon about how to start into program mode in easier way before trying this.

You have to access RESET pin and optionally PE2(HWB) pin phyhsically
To access the pins you will have to break USB-A connector mold/case, I think that ATmega32u4 MCU in the connector.

- You can make short circuit betwenn RESET pin and GND temporarily to start program mode.
- PE2(HWB) should be pulled down to GND, it is already done by manufacturer in may cases.

Check this datasheet for the pin positions.
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-7766-8-bit-AVR-ATmega16U4-32U4_Datasheet.pdf

hasu:
New prebuilt firmware files are available on Keymap Editor and github repo now.

- Add support for SIEMENS PCD 2 Keyboard.
- Make 'Magic commands' enabled again.

hasu:
Fixed a problem on XT keyboard startup, that introduced with the last update in 2022-09.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/751

Update source code and prebuilt firmware in github repo. The latest firmware is also available in Keymap Editor now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version