geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Soldering Iron/Station.

<< < (2/52) > >>

J888www:

--- Quote from: JBert;220527 ---....soldering irons with 25 watt and they take quite some time to (re-)heat.
--- End quote ---
If using damp sponge pad to clean tip, it draws heat away from tip, wire type cleaner works better, or maybe just a small stainless steel metal brush (size of tooth brush) with tin.

Standard tips survives for 5-7 days, Hakko tips will last approximately two Months, so they say, but I guess it's all down to how you use the soldering iron.
There's also a great difference between Lead based and Lead-Free products. (ie. using standard tip with Lead-Free solder will kill the tip quicker.)

British:
Yeah, I was heading towards Weller as well, but those CSI (meh...) stations might be worth a look.

What do you mean when you say tips "survive" only a few days ?
The way I saw it was that tips lasted for ages, providing you're not into soldering very small stuff.

TheSoundofTyping:
What a coinkeydink, I was about to make a thread asking about soldering iron temperatures -

What temperature range is considered to be the best for small (PCB type) soldering?

EverythingIBM:

--- Quote from: TheSoundofTyping;220665 ---What a coinkeydink, I was about to make a thread asking about soldering iron temperatures -

What temperature range is considered to be the best for small (PCB type) soldering?
--- End quote ---

Not sure if this is helpful, but "badcaps.net" recommends 40 watts for capacitor work on PCBs:

--- Quote ---NEVER use 'cold heat' types of soldering irons!!  They work off the principle of an ARC welder, and emit a current.  This can instantly destroy your board when contact is made.  If a good soldering station is not available to you, a 40 watt solder pencil with a fine tip on it will be sufficient.
--- End quote ---

Lanx:
what about this?
http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000I30QBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1283862278&sr=1-1
i have no knowledge of soldering irons or nothing, but really want to get one, googling csi station 1a, i saw a few mentions of this and if you buy the csi station1a it's 12bucks shipping, so this amazon one is basically the same price but digital? looks japanesey too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version