geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Media servers experiments

<< < (2/3) > >>

1391401:
I'm a plex user - I have it running on a raspberry pi on my network and so far I am pretty satisfied with it.  I transitioned to plex from google music when they shut that service down.

The main thing I like about plex is that there are apps that work really well on my Android phone and my Chromecast connected to my TV.  Also it has its own built-in reverse proxy (or something that functions like it) so I don't have to do any advanced network configurations to expose my server and I can listen to music on the go.

I currently store flac music backups I ripped from my CDs and am starting to use it for movies I backed up off my blurays too.

The experience of using and loving google music combined with never being able to find the movie I want to see on the streaming services I owned has lead me down the path of also hosting my own media thing.  For now plex is definitely my go-to.

PaulTate222:
You'll need to post a bit more about your needs but to follow up with the great response before mine there, FMS and WMS have quite a different set of functionality going for each of them.

For FMS, you've got Adobe behind it with their millions and millions towards not only FMS and the Flash player too to sync with features in FMS. FMS will always have the best features available from the beginning. Going with the Interactive version you can do a lot of powerful things like build conference-style apps, games, video players, and live interactive apps with a combination of live video and audio of all kinds. The streaming version which is cheaper at 995 USD just streams video. Look for the solution here.

Wowza is very powerful and they are making great progress with their feature set. The main difference between the two is that Wowza is a Java-based socket server, and FMS is C# I think. Wowza will work on more platforms and serve video to more platforms. The server-side coding environment is more powerful and they are constantly working on updates and features and pushing them out to the public. Wowza is small though, meaning that you don't have the big gorilla that Adobe is pushing the product along. I do have to say though that the owners and developers are very passionate about their product. Well worth looking in to.

Darthbaggins:
I personally have stuck with Plex over the past 8 years and will continue to do so.  Also I'm not using it in a headless environment but currently in my main rig where I can use my 1080Ti for media encoding/transcoding.

yui:
well for now those experiments are on hold as i may have done a mistake that fried my server's motherboard, and i do not have the funds to by a "new" one quite yet (and i searched for a motherboard but they are unobtainium). do not try to refurbish old HP SAS controllers batteries without triple checking polarities...

tp4tissue:
Those 4770cpu (non-k) dell boxes are going for ~$150

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version