geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Home Plastic Injection Molding

(1/3) > >>

braaaiiins:
Any hackers here have much knowledge on desktop injection molders? I've found this http://www.injectionmolder.net/order_items.htm , which looks promising.

The selection of resins that they have on sale are pretty slim though. Could this type of machine handle other plastic resins, such as PBT?

I want to be able to make my own professional quality key caps =)

i3oilermaker:
I want that!  The only problem is that you would have to CNC your own molds and that would probably be difficult / expensive.

sth:
Also there is the problem of it being $1600. Could pay for itself after a little bit but that is a pretty hefty investment even for a group of people.

MMB:
Yes, making of CNC molds would be the largest cost involved, simply because tooling a CNC machine to build a cherry MX stem requires very high quality bits, that also tend to break a lot.

Alternatively you could make a silicon-based mold that you could probably insert into the metal frame and still inject with the machine.

The_Beast:

--- Quote from: i3oilermaker on Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:02:30 ---I want that!  The only problem is that you would have to CNC your own molds and that would probably be difficult / expensive.

--- End quote ---

I don't think you would need to own a CNC mill, but you would need to outsource to someone that does to make the dies/molds

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version