Author Topic: Topre Keyboards for Europe.  (Read 189601 times)

Offline RiGS

Topre Keyboards for Europe.
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 06:52:11 »
I don't like the friction in the cherry switches, however a lil bit of RO-59 could help on that.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 06:56:00 »
Friction? Cherry reds? Lolwut?

Offline ktkr

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 07:21:32 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;312587
I love my variable for typing but I can definitely notice a difference between the force in s and d which might affect my gaming a bit. Also the force required for qaz seems to bit even lower and I use those keys for gaming as well.

S and D are supposed to be similar weight...

The keys you use with your pinkies (if you touch type the standard way), like QAZ are lighter, as intended.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 07:44:09 »
RiGS coming from Blacks it's normal to feel that Topre 45g are too much tactile. I love the way they feel on my Realforce 91 UBY.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 07:52:22 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;313175
Friction? Cherry reds? Lolwut?

Over time the switch slider and the switch housing creates friction.
It is hard to explain if you haven't experienced it.
That's why Koreans lube that part to get a better feel, and as a result the strokes get smoother in a sense.
Unfortunately, it also attracts dust which could kill the switch sooner.
Probably that's the reason they apply stickers.

On the other hand, I do not feel any friction in the topre switch.
The 35g domes somehow feel like they have a shorter key travel, and they need a constant force to press them all the way down.
Also the lack of the improperly placed bump in the 35g dome, which not allows me to touch type, and to ride the activation point easily makes the 35g topre dome my favourite.

Offline javifast

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 09:41:53 »
Quote from: guilleguillaume;313195
RiGS coming from Blacks it's normal to feel that Topre 45g are too much tactile. I love the way they feel on my Realforce 91 UBY.

Which of your keyboards do you like more?
Or what is your favorite switch??
Too many keyboards....

Offline RiGS

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 13:39:17 »
Quote from: javifast;313254
Which of your keyboards do you like more?
Or what is your favorite switch??

I prefer the Steelseries for gaming, because I have more control/precision with them over the actuation point, and the keycaps have a much better grip.
Ironically the filmsy abs keycaps are better for gaming than the high quality Topre keys.
I have less or no accidental keypresses with the mx black switches.
I think a very skilled gamer would have an edge with the Steelseries over the Realforce.
The Steelseries have a full NKRO over PS2, when the Realforce is only 6KRO.

However I can type faster with the Realforce, and the white Realforce is very useful at night.

I also enjoy gaming on them when I tired, or when I don't need that kind of precision.

I like the media keys on the Steelseries 6gv2, however I can use them as well on the Realforce with a software.

The case construction of the Steelseries is much more solid.

Funny that I do not wanted to have more than one keyboard on my desk, and had an intent to sell my other keyboard, yet I keep the Realforce only because it was 100€ shipped to me.
It was totally worth it.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 18 March 2011, 15:37:07 »
6KRO vs NKRO doesn't matter for me, ony the precision of the mx black switches, and the fact that the filmsy ABS keycaps are not slippery while gaming.

I can easily flex the case of my full size Realforce.
Also the two half of the case are not secured tightly, it feels like it can be taken apart using my fingernails.
However the case of the SS even witheld a truck abuse.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 18 March 2011, 15:42:14 »
Quote from: RiGS;314049
I can easily flex the case of my full size Realforce.
O.o??? You must be pretty strong
Quote from: RiGS;314049
Also the two half of the case are not secured tightly, it feels like it can be taken apart using my fingernails.

I can see this. The left side of my white Realforce fits snug, but the right side's top half over hangs the bottom just a little bit. It seemed cheap at first, but the clips holding the top and bottom together seems to be pretty stout.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline ironman31

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 18 March 2011, 15:46:10 »
Quote from: ripster;314052
I can take mine apart with my fingernails.  This came in handy when I spilled some tea on one corner. Pop - Pop and a quick wipe/blowdry and I was done.

Guess those Topre engineers had a good idea
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Bruce

• http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 18 March 2011, 15:56:27 »
Ripster
Drinking tea?
We'll make an Englishman of you yet!

Offline ktkr

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 11:15:12 »
What are the chances of TKC getting low-noise models of Realforce? Ideally US ANSI and tenkeyless, like the currently available 86U and 86UB models.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 17:53:47 »
Are there any key sets available for realforce boards? Having white replacements for your dark gray realforces would be cool. White keys in a dark frame has got to be one of the wickedest looking computer peripherals.

Also, I have this urge to dye my modifier keys on my realforce, but if I screw it up I will be one sad swede.. Having spare keys (still at a topre level of cost) would make the descision a bit easier.

Or perhaps it would be possible to sell a gray modifier only set. They should be the same on most language layouts (ANSI and ISO differences not taken into account)

At the moment the only "readily" available spare key sets are the HHKB ones from elitekeyboards.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 18:40:58 »
You can get replacement modifiers in green, red, and yellow from Verkkokuappa, but please note that the picture colour is not accurate.

You can also buy HHKB replacement keycaps from EliteKeyboards.

Offline Johannes

« Reply #214 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 06:01:56 »
Any chance for a tenkeyless with 2 Windows keys just so Alt Gr is closer? That's what keeping me from buying the 86U.
Also, ideally all-45g or all-55g, ANSI or ISO.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2011, 06:05:07 by Johannes »

Offline Voyageur

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 03:33:00 »
Bruce, I'm starting to think you live to drain bank accounts, especially mine ;) I could not resist, and had to order one of these french Topre for home.

Oh well, at least it should make some people happy at home (strange folks who do not like the blank layout on my Das)

Offline Bruce

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 04:25:31 »
Poll ending any minute.
White is winning by a nose.

Offline AgentHeavy

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 05 April 2011, 14:41:52 »
Quote from: RiGS;313394
I prefer the Steelseries for gaming, because I have more control/precision with them over the actuation point, and the keycaps have a much better grip.
Ironically the filmsy abs keycaps are better for gaming than the high quality Topre keys.
I have less or no accidental keypresses with the mx black switches.
I think a very skilled gamer would have an edge with the Steelseries over the Realforce.
The Steelseries have a full NKRO over PS2, when the Realforce is only 6KRO.

However I can type faster with the Realforce, and the white Realforce is very useful at night.

I also enjoy gaming on them when I tired, or when I don't need that kind of precision.

I like the media keys on the Steelseries 6gv2, however I can use them as well on the Realforce with a software.

The case construction of the Steelseries is much more solid.

Funny that I do not wanted to have more than one keyboard on my desk, and had an intent to sell my other keyboard, yet I keep the Realforce only because it was 100€ shipped to me.
It was totally worth it.

The fact that RF multi-weight is not for gaming is true.
I make more mistakes in game than with my full 55g one.
However i don't agree with you about the build quality. It's top notch.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2011, 17:51:17 by AgentHeavy »

Offline IanM

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 20:57:42 »
Was a choice made on the colour of the 45g edition tenkeyless? and was it to be the traditional Realforce keyswitches, or the new fangled silent flavour? EDIT: I favour the silent flavour.

------------------------

Topre announced celebratory coloured keycaps for their anniversary, 108 key JIS flavor:    SA0100KT1: white
SA0100KT2: sky-blue
SA0100KT3: red
SA0100KT4: yellow
SA0100KT5: orange
what would it take to get some pretty colours for the EU (and US) Realforce boards?
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2011, 21:29:14 by IanM »

Offline ironman31

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 08:10:19 »
I hope this 45g comes out when the value of the dollar doesn't completely suck
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline RiGS

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 08:29:51 »
Quote from: ironman31;326661
I hope this 45g comes out when the value of the dollar doesn't completely suck

Have you changed your vote to white?

Offline ironman31

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 10:14:49 »
Quote from: RiGS;326672
Have you changed your vote to white?

I'm pretty sure I asked for it to be changed, but if I didn't, I would definitely rather have black on white
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline RiGS

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 10:59:39 »
Unfortunately, it can't be changed.
There are 3 geekhackers who wanted to change their vote.
http://geekhack.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=215

Offline Bruce

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 13:45:09 »
No worries about the pole guys. Like Ripster said, they're not offering White now and it looks like we are going to be ordering it all in Black/Black.
Black with Gold was an option but I went on a hunch. I know about 2/3s of you are sighing now so sorry, but I had to take a punt.
So, I am now pretty sure we will be getting all 45s in Black Tenkeyless with a hint of French, German, UK, Swe/Fi and USA layout.
Now what colour WASD............

Offline IanM

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:24:16 »
Quote from: Bruce;326876
they're not offering White now and it looks like we are going to be  ordering it all in Black/Black.
Black with Gold was an option but I went on a hunch. I know about 2/3s  of you are sighing now so sorry, but I had to take a punt.
Neither of the black options was perfect, but I'm sure black/black will be fine anyway for a large portion of the people who might've preferred gold/black

Now what colour WASD............
not sure if that's a serious question following the last poll, but of the new colours mentioned in the anniversary sets, the Sky-Blue sounds the nicest. I'd favour:

• Dark Grey - so it's discrete / Otaku(ish)
  • Sky Blue
  • Lilac/Lavender/Purple Blue
  • EDIT: the green keycaps are also nice: http://i.imgur.com/t9VzI.jpg
I wonder if the blue keycaps shown here are the same as the anniversary sky blue?

Keypuller? is the one in the Diatec link a Topre product? it'd be nice to have one bundled, even more so if coloured WASD keys are to be included.

Keystoppers? The Dharma Point Realforce includes Keystoppers to place underneath the Windows keys.  (scroll down near the end of the features list)

I know the concept is a bit low tech, but these things are fantastic for gamers! Bruce, can you order 8-12 keystoppers to bundle with each of the keyboards?  they're useful not only for the Windows keys, but to make obvious clusters of keys in the dark

Silent keys?
- I may have mentioned this already :lol: but quiet keyswitches are the way forward. I feel sure it's only a handful of very disturbed and antisocial weirdos that prefer their keyboards to be noisy :wink:

The all 45g Tenkey pad? It's listed amongst the Realforce products, now is the price slightly obscene even relative to price of the keyboards? Would anyone want it as part of a bundle with the tenkeyless board? EDIT: I see the keypad is ½ the price of a keyboard elsewhere, so a hugely expensive luxury for only ⅕ of the keys...
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 April 2011, 10:25:42 by IanM »

Offline ironman31

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 15:43:21 »
any idea if you'll be selling them in the next 6 months, or year?
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline Ghostpixel

• I <3 Topre!
    • Elliot Ghost Photography
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 16:21:11 »
When i sent a mail to Bruce (about swedish tenkeyless topre) he said 6 weeks or so. That was the March 21 so its getting close ^^. Dont know if that was the varied force or 45gr though.
REALFORCE 88UB / APPLE AEKII [mod.] / MX REVOLUTION / QPAD HEATON XXL

Offline arc2

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 22:15:54 »
Hi Bruce, have you any plans to sell the Topre Realforce 23UB numpad as shown here ?

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/det.php?prod_c=613

Courtesy of Reaper in another thread.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=17008
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2011, 22:19:32 by arc2 »

Offline ktkr

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 10 April 2011, 05:38:46 »
I'm definitely in for a black on black all-45g ANSI tenkeyless. I'd love to get a variable silent model but they're pretty much unobtainium at this point.

Offline applescript

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 06:19:46 »
Hi Bruce any chance you could talk Topre into selling keycaps separately?
Topre Realforce 86UB | IBM Model M 1391401 | IBM Model M Industrial 82G2383 | IBM Model M Space Saver 1391472 | Unicomp Endurapro

Offline Johannes

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 09:35:40 »

So, I am now pretty sure we will be getting all 45s in Black Tenkeyless with a hint of French, German, UK, Swe/Fi and USA layout..

Will any of them have 2 Windows keys (for closer AltGr)?

Offline grilkip

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 15:14:36 »
Hi Bruce, I have roughly 1000 requests for future items, please tell me how I can best deliver them to you.
Filco tenkeyless (browns) - IBM Model M - Cherry G80-3000LSCEU (blues) Das Prof. S (blues)

ANSI FTW

Offline Bruce

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 16:21:03 »
Hi IanM

I enquired today about getting a variety of colours of WASD, they are on offer but I don't know the MOQ.

All this batch will include a Yellow WASD, Puller and some stoppers (I like stoppers, simple and effective).

I know nothing about the silent keys, you're going to have to help me there.

I am getting some 23UB number pads. Subject to stock.

I hope to have this lot within 6-8 weeks but let me confirm a little later when I get an update. Tokyo must be a tough place to do business right now and i'm not going to beat up on them.

I think the layout they use has only the two windows keys, not sure, but i'll check.

And Grilkip - Hi!
What's this? A shopping list? Go on keyboardco.com and mail me from there. I'll do my best with it.

Offline IanM

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 16:40:04 »
Quote from: Bruce;328757
I know nothing about the silent keys, you're going  to have to help me there.
There was a report of the announcement here on Deskthority (also scroll down a few replies for a good graph)

and the thread here on geekhack: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=9056

Topre Japan product page - the uppermost on the list REALFORCE91UBK-S is one of the silent models, presumably indicated by the -S suffix. Google translated of same page. Topre press releases are in pdf format (will have to be translated by copy & paste of the text or some other application)

The silent tenkeyless keyboards are already listed with Asian region distributors such as Leopold, and appear to be a no cost option v. the standard keys.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #234 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 16:43:03 »
Bruce, any chance you could talk Topre into selling spare uniform weighted rubber sheets?
That way would be easy to change the key weighting to uniform.
I think it would sell like crazy!

Offline IanM

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 16:52:42 »
Quote from: RiGS;328767
spare uniform weighted rubber sheets?
that's an interesting idea, I wonder if Topre would be against it for warranty reasons, but being able to switch the weighting at any time without buying a whole new keyboard is intriguing.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #236 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 16:57:21 »
Also that would prolong the life expectancy of the whole keyboard many times.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 17:52:23 »
Quote from: RiGS;328775
Also that would prolong the life expectancy of the whole keyboard many times.

Its a good idea, I just doubt it'll go through. The mat isn't just one piece, some of the domes are individual squares. So unless they retooled their machines to create one large mat, I'm not sure how much a reality it would be.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline RiGS

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 17:59:17 »
The keycaps are also invidual, so I don't see why this would be a problem. They can put  a whole set in a nice box.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:08:40 »
Quote from: RiGS;328802
The keycaps are also invidual, so I don't see why this would be a problem. They can put  a whole set in a nice box.

With this they are encouraging to void the warranty. Don't see this happening in the Realforces.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:36:56 »
Then why is the case design entirely screw-less?
Also I don't see any warranty sticker.

Swapping a sheet of rubber is pretty straight forward to me, honestly there isn’t anything to screw up.

Also they can market them as replacement, or service parts.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:39:01 »
KeyboardCo doesn't give you a warranty with your Realforce? I always got one from EK...

Offline RiGS

« Reply #242 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:41:25 »
Anyway they have to send it back to Japan. It would take months...

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:44:54 »
RiGS I never thought of that since I don't have plans of opening my Realforce 91 UBY. Don't want to make something wrong and break some plastic, anyway  I don't need to do it for any reason.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:45:46 »
As a service part would make sense, it just oesnt seem like they would advertise it as retail. Even though I like them to
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 19:45:58 »
In Russia you are not real man unless you open up expensive keyboard.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 11 April 2011, 20:30:23 »
In Russia you are not real man unless you fulfill your duty as a soldier.

woody

« Reply #247 on: Tue, 12 April 2011, 05:17:15 »
Quote from: RiGS;328894
In Russia you are not real man unless you fulfill your duty as a soldier.

Israel is full of real women then.

Offline kevral

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 12:23:11 »
I'm definitely in for a black Tenkeyless 45g in Swe/Fi plus a number pad.

Not that I don't love the brown Filco you guys sent me, Bruce! :)

Offline Jago

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 13:54:45 »
Quote from: kevral;336216
I'm definitely in for a black Tenkeyless 45g in Swe/Fi plus a number pad.

Not that I don't love the brown Filco you guys sent me, Bruce! :)
Err, for a moment there I thought I already posted in this thread, since this kind of comment is exactly what I came here to post.
Topre Realforce 88UB all-45g (home)
Filco Majestouch brown (work)