Author Topic: Gaming...  (Read 31855 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Gaming...
« on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:46:36 »
I have noticed lately that I for some reason keep losing interest in computer games.
This is very weird, as I was and still am huge fan of PC gaming. I played 1000s of games in the past (I'm 39), especially in 90s, when PC gaming was really expanding.
In last 10 years I had no time to actually play that much as I used to. If I play a game for few hours once a month, it's a lot.
Maybe this has something to do with my actual interest going down lately?
I don't know if I'm getting old, or is this simply lack of free time is causing it.
At the end of the day, when family goes to sleep, I always wait for that moment, then go to my small computer room to play some games, watch stuff on youtube and read some GH forum:)
But the thing is, it is normally around 11pm and if I start a game, I play maybe for 30 minutes and get either bored or too tired to continue and I just go to sleep.
I feel a bit disappointed in myself to be honest :D
All I do nowadays is buy games either box versions or on GOG/Steam and they just wait and wait...
Some games I buy are actually some old games I played in 90s-00s. Just being nostalgic I guess...

I was wondering if you guys also feel the same?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
Re: Gaming...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:48:38 »
gaming industry today is not what it used to be. Too much borring and repetitive games... I too just don't play like i used to...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 09:19:09 »
The primary cause of this is the reduction in dopamine receptors due to a rise in persistent pleasurable stimuli.

Josh plays vidya,  this is the most funnest vidya ever.  Josh plays vidya for 1000s of hours. never getting bored.

Josh meets Stephanie. Stephanie offers Secs.   

Josh immediately loses interest in vidya,  spends all his time and money hanging around Stephanie because Stephanie is now Josh's greatest source of pleasurable stimuli.

Now, just take a basic account of pleasure as you've moved through life.

As a young person under adult supervision..  Gaming was limited,  Bacon eaten was limited,  Alcohol was barred,  Smoking was barred,  etc etc.

The Older you get,  the more these other pleasurable stimuli become un-regulated/ Available, the further Vidya falls in rank,  Overall, vidya is far more difficult an exertion vs drinking Coffee or doing drugs,  while the payoff is also significantly less.

Ramen works the same way, it isn't the best tasting thing ever, but Relative to YOUR EFFORT in making ramen,  RAMEN ranks among the highest in the effort to Pleasure RATIO.  Thereby, It is by far the most addictive and intoxicating edible on the planet.

Heroin works the same way, Heroin is equivalent to ~800-1600% the baseline dopamine lvl. It is neurotoxic, because it breaks and rewires the pleasure circuit of the brain.  NOTHING is as good as heroin. Heroin is bio-chemically more pleasurable than anything else you can experience in life.

Secs, Cigarette, Alcohol, Coffee only ranks ~200% baseline. (this is the cutoff for natural pleasures, They are still addictive and are often abused.)

If you starve yourself of Coffee, Secs, Cigarettes, Tea, Ramen, Bacon.   Video games will once again reign as the supreme pleasurable stimuli.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 12:22:02 »
It's 100% you. Interests change and passions fade. The same thing happened to me with gaming.

And it is certainly NOT the industry. There are more titles available, and more unique mechanics than EVER before in gaming history as the consumer base and technology grows. If anything this is the greatest age to be a gamer.

I think it's partially to do with Netflix syndrome (at least for me it is.) You get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of choice, platforms, and deep time sinks modern games require, and just wind up watching anopthwer rerun of Rick and Morty instead. Retro games were far less imposing on your day, and therefore easier to hang out with. Even if the game wasn't good, that was the one you were stuck with so you still played the hell out of it.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 21:46:17 »
I have noticed lately that I for some reason keep losing interest in computer games.
This is very weird, as I was and still am huge fan of PC gaming. I played 1000s of games in the past (I'm 39), especially in 90s, when PC gaming was really expanding.
In last 10 years I had no time to actually play that much as I used to. If I play a game for few hours once a month, it's a lot.
I don't know if I'm getting old, or is this simply lack of free time is causing it.
At the end of the day, when family goes to sleep, I always wait for that moment, then go to my small computer room to play some games, watch stuff on youtube and read some GH forum:)
But the thing is, it is normally around 11pm and if I start a game, I play maybe for 30 minutes and get either bored or too tired to continue and I just go to sleep.
All I do nowadays is buy games either box versions or on GOG/Steam and they just wait and wait...
Some games I buy are actually some old games I played in 90s-00s. Just being nostalgic I guess...

All the games are online and require microtransactions to win..

I don't play many modern games because of this.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 21:47:26 »

All the new games seem pay to win.

Theres only certain games i play, mainly not requiring microtransactions to win.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 03:23:18 »
I still play select video games I enjoy, but definitely not as much as I used to. **** man I could spend my entire day just playing the same video game over and over with friends. Nowadays I barely get in a hour in a week.
Some games have managed to suck me back in for a good couple of weeks. (God of War PS4, RDR and RDR 2)
I've always been a huge fan of FPS's for the PC so that's usually what pulls me back in.
I also have a job now, which I didn't have back then. That also takes away a lot of energy.

These days when I get time at the PC I'm listening to music and trying to keep up with the industry I work in. Or watching professional Counter-Strike.  :))

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 09:30:13 »
I'm in my mid 50's, and as of late, I have not found many games that I like, last two were Metro Exodus and Strange Brigade. Cyberpunk 2077 does stir my interest though, and perhaps Gears 5 (if it makes it to PC that is). I am in the midst of a massive upgrade, a new Ryzen build, I am gonna dedicate this rig to games, and nothin' but games.

Offline tentboy

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 13:41:05 »
I used to play a wide range of games from all genres.  Got heavily into csgo and 3000 hours of that later I find myself losing interest in nearly every other game unless I am playing with friends. 

Some exceptions being fallout 3/new vegas which i replayed through with mods and racing games like f1 and dirt rally

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 14:29:06 »
The primary cause of this is the reduction in dopamine receptors due to a rise in persistent pleasurable stimuli.

Josh plays vidya,  this is the most funnest vidya ever.  Josh plays vidya for 1000s of hours. never getting bored.

Josh meets Stephanie. Stephanie offers Secs.   

Josh immediately loses interest in vidya,  spends all his time and money hanging around Stephanie because Stephanie is now Josh's greatest source of pleasurable stimuli.

Now, just take a basic account of pleasure as you've moved through life.

As a young person under adult supervision..  Gaming was limited,  Bacon eaten was limited,  Alcohol was barred,  Smoking was barred,  etc etc.

The Older you get,  the more these other pleasurable stimuli become un-regulated/ Available, the further Vidya falls in rank,  Overall, vidya is far more difficult an exertion vs drinking Coffee or doing drugs,  while the payoff is also significantly less.

Ramen works the same way, it isn't the best tasting thing ever, but Relative to YOUR EFFORT in making ramen,  RAMEN ranks among the highest in the effort to Pleasure RATIO.  Thereby, It is by far the most addictive and intoxicating edible on the planet.

Heroin works the same way, Heroin is equivalent to ~800-1600% the baseline dopamine lvl. It is neurotoxic, because it breaks and rewires the pleasure circuit of the brain.  NOTHING is as good as heroin. Heroin is bio-chemically more pleasurable than anything else you can experience in life.

Secs, Cigarette, Alcohol, Coffee only ranks ~200% baseline. (this is the cutoff for natural pleasures, They are still addictive and are often abused.)

If you starve yourself of Coffee, Secs, Cigarettes, Tea, Ramen, Bacon.   Video games will once again reign as the supreme pleasurable stimuli.

Haha.. I always wait for your comments, as always there are pretty interesting and funny:)

Maybe you are right, maybe its just a matter of "pleasure level".
But definitely, Stephanie is guilty of those changes! She made Josh a secs slave :mad:

Now, I kinda want to try brown sugar...

It's 100% you. Interests change and passions fade. The same thing happened to me with gaming.

And it is certainly NOT the industry. There are more titles available, and more unique mechanics than EVER before in gaming history as the consumer base and technology grows. If anything this is the greatest age to be a gamer.

I think it's partially to do with Netflix syndrome (at least for me it is.) You get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of choice, platforms, and deep time sinks modern games require, and just wind up watching anopthwer rerun of Rick and Morty instead. Retro games were far less imposing on your day, and therefore easier to hang out with. Even if the game wasn't good, that was the one you were stuck with so you still played the hell out of it.

Ha, you know you are right too, in regards of those old games - it feels like what you said - when I got some game back in 90s, I played a s*** out of it, as didn't have other game at that moment. There were also moments, when I got new game when didn't finihs the other one, I abandoned the first one to satrt new one. It happened quite a few times I admit...

Then yes, passion fades, passes like that irritating pain in your butt after passing that extremely spicy hot wings you had day before... :eek:
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 July 2019, 14:34:16 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 14:33:24 »
So yes, I lost interest, its not that strong like back in a days.
Being older, I get tired after whole day of other things I do, work, home etc
Having family cuts you off your old habits, old passions...

Those evenings when I wait till all go to sleep, so I could sit in front of my kickass computer, are a bit pathetic... trying to bring back those huge moments of pleasure I'd been taking when doing fun stuff being a kid...

Nowadays, I keep upgrading my PC with high end parts and never take full advantage of those... when back in a days, I never had high-end parts and was always jugling the settings to make games playable. Irony of life...
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 July 2019, 14:39:42 by phinix »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 16:47:56 »

Those evenings when I wait till all go to sleep, so I could sit in front of my kickass computer, are a bit pathetic... trying to bring back those huge moments of pleasure I'd been taking when doing fun stuff being a kid...

Nowadays, I keep upgrading my PC with high end parts and never take full advantage of those... when back in a days, I never had high-end parts and was always jugling the settings to make games playable. Irony of life...

Cough.. the solution is so obvious.. Set wife up to have an affair, hire private investigator to take evidence photos.. Take her to court, file for divorce, take full custody, ditch children with gram and grampa.. m0ar PC Upgrade.. m0ar MMORPG w/ Max Graphics.

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 17:04:16 »

Cough.. the solution is so obvious.. Set wife up to have an affair, hire private investigator to take evidence photos.. Take her to court, file for divorce, take full custody, ditch children with gram and grampa.. m0ar PC Upgrade.. m0ar MMORPG w/ Max Graphics.

I'm not a fan of MMORPG ;D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 19:03:20 »
I think it's a combination of things.
Age, spare time, just the ebb and flow of interest, however one thing that I have noticed is the actual games have changed.

A LOT of games have made a focus on online play and a whole lot have fallen into a similar pattern. It's quite common to short change story and game play in order to push an online open map letting players all just go at it. At some point you realize most are the same with slight variations. I was part of the BF3 beta and it was so impersonal and just a mess that I haven't bothered going back to anything like it. One thing that made Borderlands 2 and Left4Dead 2 different at online play was that it was small group team play, whereas most of the stuff out there was everyone against everyone, and often cramming as many people onto the field as possible. More isn't always better.

The other thing keeping me from playing is online play itself and the proliferation of voice chat.
Not only do I have issues with audio processing (I can only handle so many voices before I get overwhelmed), but people are just jerks and won't shut up. For me there is also the added issue of being female which invites all sorts of other problems.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 19:27:37 »
Man, I'm playing CTR Nitro Fueled, and am put off by the whole "need to be online to get points." There's this event going on all month and you can unlock certain downloadables by meeting criteria. I was playing a few days only to realize I didn't get any points because I wasn't connected to internet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 19:52:40 »
For me there is also the added issue of being female which invites all sorts of other problems.

There was that magical horse racing game made just for girls.. can't remember what it's called..

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 20:58:08 »
I lost interest after people started playing Fortnite over PUBG

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 22:24:33 »
I lost interest after people started playing Fortnite over PUBG

Does it really matter as they're both owned by tencent.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 22:33:16 »
Online competitive games suck and are mainly for kids in gradeschool, but single player games are better than ever! What planet are you all living on that you cannot find the exact niche indie game to suit your extremely specific tastes? There's more content to play than EVER before in human history, more innovation and creativity than ever before. and yall are complaining about **** being the same??? I cannot even reckon this convo.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 00:37:05 »
For me there is also the added issue of being female which invites all sorts of other problems.
There was that magical horse racing game made just for girls.. can't remember what it's called..
Believe it or not we women actually enjoy quite a lot of the same stuff guys do. We don't actually need or want everything to be pink or made for us, do you really think I want an FPS where I go around shooting pink dragons because it's "made for girls" (okay that could be badass, but that's not the point).  It's not the games that are the issue but the people playing them.

At least before voice chat I could go on with a guys name and play anonymously, no one made it an issue when I scored near the top or bottom or if I took out the guy who's insecure in his manhood.

Online competitive games suck and are mainly for kids in gradeschool, but single player games are better than ever! What planet are you all living on that you cannot find the exact niche indie game to suit your extremely specific tastes? There's more content to play than EVER before in human history, more innovation and creativity than ever before. and yall are complaining about **** being the same??? I cannot even reckon this convo.
It takes time to find that stuff and ain't nobody got time for that!

Actually I have a bunch of stuff on Steam I have yet to play, unfortunately very little of it runs on linux.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline captainkai

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 01:39:24 »
Totally feel the same - for me a lot of it just isn't interesting content?  I'm in my 30s as well and grew up in what people might consider the "golden age" for games.  Diablo 2, Final Fantasy 6 through 10, Metal Gear Solid, Starcraft/Brood War, Warcraft 3, Dota, CS, etc.  I feel like a lot of newer games aren't that appealing or seem really tedious (open world rpg/mmo seems like just grinding quests with no end goal, etc).  So, I find myself also getting back up after the family's asleep, playing retro games or not playing at all.

One game that I've played a lot until recently is Dota2 - I think they've done a great job keeping it interesting and they have a great esports scene that's fun to follow.
But, the learning curve is high and it's difficult to keep up with new patches if you're a filthy casual like me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 08:22:24 »
Believe it or not we women actually enjoy quite a lot of the same stuff guys do. We don't actually need or want everything to be pink or made for us, do you really think I want an FPS where I go around shooting pink dragons because it's "made for girls" (okay that could be badass, but that's not the point).  It's not the games that are the issue but the people playing them.

At least before voice chat I could go on with a guys name and play anonymously, no one made it an issue when I scored near the top or bottom or if I took out the guy who's insecure in his manhood.

If modern females just discarded the set of objects and standards which make their lives highly impractical. It would close most gaps.

But the industry is dominated by the capitalist agenda to market such objects on all women as standard, which impedes the Aware-Women from stepping-out. They're trapped.

For example, if we quantify the cost of having long hair across an entire lifespan, it's staggering.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 22:07:30 »

Its called Star Stable online i think.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:08:21 »

It takes time to find that stuff and ain't nobody got time for that!

Actually I have a bunch of stuff on Steam I have yet to play, unfortunately very little of it runs on linux.

True. I am a legend at buildroyale.io and its not pink

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 04:05:52 »
Since I have retired, I'm trying to get my gaming groove back, hence a kickbutt Ryzen build. I'll have my trusty 3960X rig on a 32:9 monitor and this Ryzen build on a 21:9 monitor. Gonna sell my old HTPC rig to a bud for cheap, and move my 4770K outta my room to take over HTPC duties. Hoping this Ryzen build would be my gaming Viagra....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 13:13:56 »
Since I have retired, I'm trying to get my gaming groove back, hence a kickbutt Ryzen build. I'll have my trusty 3960X rig on a 32:9 monitor and this Ryzen build on a 21:9 monitor. Gonna sell my old HTPC rig to a bud for cheap, and move my 4770K outta my room to take over HTPC duties. Hoping this Ryzen build would be my gaming Viagra....

Pretty sure 4770k @ 4.8ghz + will net higher frame rates in most games. Without OC though, the ryzen should be faster outta the box.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 17:59:09 »
If you miss the complex, in-depth singleplayer games of the past, they're experiencing a kind of renaissance now.

For those of you who enjoyed the Stalker series (play it if you haven't!) and Metro 2033, you can get the same vibe with ATOM RPG, although it's a top-down turn-based RPG. More directly, it's a Russian Fallout.

Speaking of Fallout, there are a couple of fan sequels to Fallout 1 and 2 using the original engine. You can easily pick up Fallout 1.5: Resurrection, for the closest experience and truest sequel to the original.

Underrail also just published its official expansion pack, Expedition. Underrail is an in-depth, complex turn-based RPG based on exploring and fighting-in the remnants of an underground civilization. It will run on a ten-year-old computer and a 768p screen. It's less of a story-based RPG (which even Fallout was, to an extent), and much more of a stats-based dungeon crawler. That's not normally my cup of tea, but if you approach it as a character-driven tactical game with compelling story elements, you'll do alright.

If you miss the grand FPS of olde, you can get some pretty slick ports of the BUILD engine classics on GOG and Steam, such as Blood: Fresh Supply (not quite ready for prime-time yet, though), eDuke32 for Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior enhanced edition, and retro classic ports for Doom and Quake. [My favourite Doom ports are Crispy Doom and Doom Retro, and QBism Super 8 is a great lo-fi Quake experience].

Many ambitious mods and levels have also been made for those classic FPS. The things being done in Doom and Quake in particular are astounding, and could have been thought near-impossible. Someone also released a very credible sequel to Duke3D that features Duke's companion, Bombshell.

Plus, new authentic games in the spirit of the 90s shooters are also being released [such as Dusk and Ion Maiden].

The Borderlands are a great co-op take on the FPS, and will keep you occupied for hours with a friend. Hard to beat.

Then there's the platformer resurgence, but I won't go into that.

Yes, you'll find things to keep you amazed, and that's without going into the new games.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 20:39:40 »
I wanted to like Fallout but it just comes across as GTA in a boring, empty, vast wasteland. It wasn't bad it just seemed like I spent waay too much time running around (walking) just trying to get anywhere. They all can be bad like this (GTA, Saints Row, etc..) but Fallout just seemed worse about it. 

Saints Row 3 is also really good, (and cheap) and full of good 90's music. 4 is good but feels like an expansion to 3 and they just didn't know where to go with the series. If you like GTA San Andreas (I consider it the best GTA)  you will probably like SR3. Think of it as GTA SA that doesn't take itself nearly as serious.

Borderlands 2 is REALLY good. I have a lot of hours tied up in that and I'll probably get 3 when it comes to Steam at a reasonable price. This is playable as single player and co-op.
Mass Effect trilogy was also really good if you haven't played it yet.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 23:25:13 »
Fair enough, but I'm referring to the original Fallout(s). Fallout 1 and 2 were 2D games.

In the originals, you didn't have to walk around in empty spaces very much, because travel between towns was just following a line on a map, and running into some random encounters. It was just point and click, and a few fights later and you were there.

Inside towns and villages, most of the visible space was occupied by the populated area you were interacting with. There wasn't a lot of wasted time or space, particularly in Fallout 1.

Once you get to Bethesda's 'interpretation' of the series, yes, there is a lot of aimless walking. Looking for things, running into quest areas and items that haven't been activated yet (New Vegas, I'm looking at you). As one apt reviewer said about New Vegas, "This game will waste your time."

And the newer games are an even further degradation of the concept. Hiking simulators. But I guess what I'm saying is, the original Fallouts were all about talking to people and interacting with the story. Travel was taken care of relatively cleanly and efficiently. The classic Fallout games were not designed like Bethesda's Oblivion.

GTA is a different concept from Fallout 1-2 (which is a story-driven, stat-centric isometric RPG that was based on pen-and-paper concepts.) Many GTA games are done well, and I still have Vice City installed on my system. Would you believe I have yet to finish Borderlands 1?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 04:47:10 »
Pretty sure it was Fallout New Vegas I played.

I haven't finished Borderlands 1 either.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 09:17:15 »
I wanted to like New Vegas so badly. It was made by some of the original Fallout creators, using some of the concepts for Fallout 3 (from before Bethesda got ahold of the franchise).

However, New Vegas was hobbled by some of the same things that made Bethesda's Fallout 3 so miserable. Namely, an aging engine (weak lighting effects, unconvincing and choppy animation, no ladders, even) that wasn't really designed or optimized for gun fights. Take a step back and think about this for a moment: the game engine had been previously used for swordfighting and magic, with some arrows. But it was being adapted into an FPS shooter for 2-way gunfights. And it wasn't an optimal experience.*

And it felt so unbalanced and jerky. I had that sniper character with me (forget his name), and every time an iguana came within 100 metres of me, the camera would shift to a closeup of the hapless critter as it <slowly exploded> because the sniper had gotten to it before I could even see it, like some automated defense system. Is this satisfying, or annoying?

New Vegas really brought in a lot of gun mechanics, and tried to make the best of the engine, but the gunplay was never really satisfying. And NV had to voice-act all the NPC dialog, which must have added expense, and reduced the amount of dialog options. It was easier to create quality dialog and descriptions in the old Fallout 2D text-centric system.

But yeah, the main problem for me was the 'theme park / amusement park' nature of New Vegas. Everything was so closely packed together. Many of the towns, camps and hideouts were within view of each other, as if you were in a big Disneyland. The campy 'attractions,' such as big dinosaur sculptures, NCR statues, and so-on, just heightened that effect.

But when things weren't packed closely together, they were way off in some obscure place. And you could find things that looked interesting, try to use them, and nothing would happen: because the quest for those items hadn't been assigned yet!

I like this review that details this problem:

http://blog.wilshipley.com/2011/01/why-i-hate-new-vegas.html

Anyway, I think that the quest design in New Vegas gave you a lot of options, and this could have been a good game if it were made in a modern top-view 3D engine, as seen in ATOM RPG. The designers had to make too many compromises or hacks to shoehorn a Fallout game into Bethesda's aging 3D engine.

I basically agree with you, and am just trying to explain what went wrong in the game. Because I wanted to like it.

*Borderlands is basically the "correct" version of a post-apocalyptic FPS, along with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, Metro 2033, and some others. You have to design a shooter like that from the ground-up for it to be effective, and not shoehorn it in to a lesser engine.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 15:41:20 »
One thing I have noticed with gaming as I get older is the story becomes more important in my mind, but when I play I skip over all the dialogue and text without reading or paying attention to it. I think the natural progression of video games as a hot medium is telling the story in an organic systemic fashion. You shouldn't need journal entries or long-winded text boxes, everything should be told through the actions the player takes and what they encounter in the world. I think games are moving more towards that design philosophy, and do hope plot in games becomes a natural systemic part of the storytelling that never takes agency away from the player.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 12:15:44 »
Yes. Underrail is a game in which you learn about what's going on mainly by exploring ruins, examining corpses and signs of battle, repairing old systems, and listening to what people say about each other. But Underrail is a retro game, and more modern game may allow you to understand a story even more organically, as games like Firewatch and SOMA may allow you to do.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 19:40:27 »
I actually started playing World Of Warships the other night, it runs pretty well on Linux using the Steam system, I still have yet to figure out Lutris.

If you like RTS games it plays quite similar. It's a good casual game (runs on low end hardware) but can also get intense if you want. It's also free, but beware your wallet if you want anything premium, their pricing seems extortionate. Luckily if you just want to play casual you don't really need it, the same goes for high end hardware, it doesn't make you more competitive unlike some other games. I've run it on high graphics and low graphics (gpu fans don't even spin up) and the game play was the same.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 20:01:25 »
I actually started playing World Of Warships the other night, it runs pretty well on Linux using the Steam system, I still have yet to figure out Lutris.

If you like RTS games it plays quite similar. It's a good casual game (runs on low end hardware) but can also get intense if you want. It's also free, but beware your wallet if you want anything premium, their pricing seems extortionate. Luckily if you just want to play casual you don't really need it, the same goes for high end hardware, it doesn't make you more competitive unlike some other games. I've run it on high graphics and low graphics (gpu fans don't even spin up) and the game play was the same.

vs w/of/tamks ?

Offline Altis

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 13:31:31 »
I feel the same way as OP, for the most part.

For me, too many new games are flawed and never get fixed. The biggest culprit for FPS games is the netcode, which can make games feel like a complete waste of time. "Early Alpha" releases that promise to get fixed but never do wear on you. Even games that actually work very well can ruin it with cringey characters with mandatory and repetitive voice taunts (Apex Legends).

Some of the classics are still great to this day, though, and like OP I find myself drawn to the gems of my era. One of my favorite games (though I'm not very good at it) is Age of Empires II. It's gaining in popularity due to the endless replayability and customization of game modes and maps. Counter-Strike and even Day of Defeat are still great to play, though hackers in CS are not few nor far between.

No doubt some of it is just age and loss of interest in gaming. It feels like the desire is there but it never meets up to expectation, and I can't help but think a lot of that comes down to longing for the good old days.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 01:37:29 »
vs w/of/tamks ?
Tanks is a bit faster paced and a lot less forgiving, especially starting out.

Ships you can get in and slug it out for a bit even if new.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline phinix

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 03:16:05 »
I feel the same way as OP, for the most part.

For me, too many new games are flawed and never get fixed. The biggest culprit for FPS games is the netcode, which can make games feel like a complete waste of time. "Early Alpha" releases that promise to get fixed but never do wear on you. Even games that actually work very well can ruin it with cringey characters with mandatory and repetitive voice taunts (Apex Legends).

Some of the classics are still great to this day, though, and like OP I find myself drawn to the gems of my era. One of my favorite games (though I'm not very good at it) is Age of Empires II. It's gaining in popularity due to the endless replayability and customization of game modes and maps. Counter-Strike and even Day of Defeat are still great to play, though hackers in CS are not few nor far between.

No doubt some of it is just age and loss of interest in gaming. It feels like the desire is there but it never meets up to expectation, and I can't help but think a lot of that comes down to longing for the good old days.

Exactly. "the desire is there but it never meets up to expectation" - you see, i feel that almost every day, when I think of some gaming time I had in the past. Every night coming back home and doing daily duties, I think of those times when I could simply sit down in front of my PC and play some nice game I liked, swim in in its world and feel it with all my senses...
My wife says I'm too nostalgic and with age I'm having my head more and more drown in the thoughts of the past.. Well, I'm happy seeing more people think and feel the same or similar.

I don't want it to sound like I'm unhappy with my life - its just... I think I cannot fit in in the new age I guess.
There are some great new games, but most of them I simply ignore as looking at them I see same repetitive stories, engines, systems, solutions.
I started to think that maybe this is it, maybe back in 80s-90s all games were kinda new, every stories, solutions were new, inventive, pioneering. Maybe this is that simple?

Remember sitting dozens of hours in front of Prince of Persia, Settlers II, Heroes of Might and Magic, Warlords, Dune, Warcraft, C&C, Zack MacKraken, Day of the tentacle...

Like movies - I watches literally 1000s of movies, started as a kid, watching them on tv, then VHS area came in, binge watching 3-4 movies every summer night with my dad. Everything was new, all stories were new, most of the movies brought new stories, new ways of showing it, every scenes were captured in new way.
Nowadays, I see to myself, I would like to watch some cool "catastrophic" movie. All are crap. But thing is, they are not, simply nobody came up with new subject, new story.
Do you guys remember Core, Deep Impact, Day after tomorrow, Dantes Peak? Not great ones, but it was pleasure to watch them for a first time, they brought something new.
I hope you catch my drift:)
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 August 2019, 03:37:53 by phinix »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 21:16:20 »
Speaking of gaming, in this keyboard place, can anyone identify the keyboard used in the ambient soundtrack for Fallout 1's "Vault 13:"

Normal

Remastered version (if that makes it easier)

Is that a Model M, or something more exotic?

Offline CarneSoup

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 11:21:06 »
Sometimes you just grow out of things without noticing. There's no way to tell when it's gonna happen but when it does, you just kinda realize it.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:06:51 »
OP, take a break. If you said you were already I didn't catch it. Lots of people put in good answers here. Repetitiveness of gameplay loops, cashgrabs, dopamine fatigue, etc. etc. Just take a break. Games aren't going anywhere. I have a similar feeling to you. I have a strong urge to play something until I sit down and actually play it. It's worse when I'm not online with friends. I've been using online games mostly to pseudo-hang out with buddies all over the place.

Games aren't all that novel anymore, look how many titles just essentially swap out the context/characters. Take a break, if you find something you want to play, go ahead and buy it; then come back to it later after you've done a bunch of boring under stimulating stuff lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 15:48:24 »
OP, take a break.

dopamine fatigue, etc. etc. Just take a break.

Games aren't going anywhere.

From what I've seen,  the resurgence of Hobbies usually comes at around ~35-40, where the female or male in the relationship is no longer excessively attractive.

Now with lower hormone lvls in both humans,  the male begin to either seek attention from younger females,  OR,   he buys the latest playstation / wood working tools / porsche boxter / keebs / warhammer 40k.   etc...

This is primarily down to the fact that past age 25, people will gain an average of an extra 3-5 pounds of ph00f a year.  you add that up over 10 years,  that's 30-50lbs,  no one looks very attractive with + 50lbs.

Offline monkeycap198

• Moonkey
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 02:07:10 »
The Gaming Industry is being looked into for horrible working hours/ overtime due to how much the demand is. Check out some of the videos on youtube/netflix about this

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 18:27:34 »
I've completed my new rig -
Ryzen R9 3900X + GB X570 Aorus Xtreme + 32GB XPG D60G DDR4 3200 RAM + 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) + 4TB Samsung 860 EVO + 2TB Samsung QVO + 6TB WD Black HDD + PC Vega64 Red Devil (waiting for big RT capable NAVI)+ Corsair HX1000 Platinum + CM MasterCase H500M + 64bit Win10 Pro

Very easy build, other than the %&$#@ RGB cables which added to the cable management tedium and frustration, but the system POST at the very first go, Windows installation was a breeze. I'd expected to have to troubleshoot something or another, but the build went real smoothly. Now I find myself sitting in front of my monitor more often,  surfing the net and play games more often, it's a pleasure to see Metro Exodus load a new level well before Artyom has time to finish his monologue.

I hope to spend more time using my rigs as I'm a retiree, so going out often entails spending more money.....right now, with my improved rig, I tend to stay at home more often, other than the odd teabreak with my buds, I tend to play games more often  and have loaded my new rig with a number of games from Steam, Origin and Epic.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 23:50:20 »
Very easy build, other than the %&$#@ RGB cables which added to the cable management tedium and frustration, but the system POST at the very first go, Windows installation was a breeze. I'd expected to have to troubleshoot something or another, but the build went real smoothly.

Nice build!
Seriously it's a good time to be into computers with so much capability for the money (new or used). As for the RGB, you can't have RGB wiring problems if you don't have RGB.  :))
Actually I have some on my mobo but the system is so densely packed and lacks windows it barely shows. I have done some builds with it though and yeah, it can be a pain. It's a new tech and the manufacturers REALLY need to do some work on setting some standards to simplify things. Too many connectors, too many wires, too few ports, and the software is utter garbage.

Don't worry about RT, AMD is right to not be concerned with it.
I wouldn't rush out next gen and buy it for RT unless there is quite a few games using it AND it's an advantage in those games. Based on everything I've seen that won't happen for another 2 possibly 3 generations of cards. RT works, it's been around a long time, it just doesn't really work well in games. Nvidia knew all of this but they needed SOMETHING to sell new cards (market saturation) and they needed to do it before the new AMD launch. It was a marketing gimmick, and from that perspective it really worked based on how many asked AMD about it at the press release, but from a feature perspective RT has been a complete flop really.

So don't rush or even plan on a new card based on it until you know it will make a difference.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2019, 23:52:44 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 08:56:40 »
I've completed my new rig -
Ryzen R9 3900X + GB X570 Aorus Xtreme + 32GB XPG D60G DDR4 3200 RAM + 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) + 4TB Samsung 860 EVO + 2TB Samsung QVO + 6TB WD Black HDD + PC Vega64 Red Devil (waiting for big RT capable NAVI)+ Corsair HX1000 Platinum + CM MasterCase H500M + 64bit Win10 Pro

I hope to spend more time using my rigs as I'm a retiree, so going out often entails spending more money.....right now, with my improved rig, I tend to stay at home more often, other than the odd teabreak with my buds, I tend to play games more often  and have loaded my new rig with a number of games from Steam, Origin and Epic.

Phase 1,  complete.

Phase 2,  Streaming Career,  packaging (old dude playing vidya).

Phase 3,  Groupies

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 23:25:18 »
I'm not concerned about RT right now, I'm actually waiting for mid-2020 for big NAVI 23 to debut, I hope that it's be powerful enough to take on AAA games at max ingame setting + AA @3440x1440 or even @ 4K with RT enabled (yes, NAVI 21 and 23 would be hardware capable of RT). Right now, I'm simply enjoying the new build and those colorful RGB's....

I chose the CM MasterCase H500M simply because I want 2x 200mm case intake fans...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 08:02:07 »
I'm not concerned about RT right now, I'm actually waiting for mid-2020 for big NAVI 23 to debut, I hope that it's be powerful enough to take on AAA games at max ingame setting + AA @3440x1440 or even @ 4K with RT enabled (yes, NAVI 21 and 23 would be hardware capable of RT). Right now, I'm simply enjoying the new build and those colorful RGB's....
Show Image

I chose the CM MasterCase H500M simply because I want 2x 200mm case intake fans...
Show Image

PadawanGeek  in a few months..

Offline phinix

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 08:09:18 »
Show Image

Show Image

Holy moly... that is one big ugly case - modding time!!!  ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 08:10:42 »

Holy moly... that is one big ugly case - modding time!!!  ;D

No, it's a gud' looking case, padawan is just n00ber @ fotos.