Author Topic: Kinesis Contoured Try & Forward  (Read 44411 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Kinesis Contoured Try & Forward
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:10:53 »
Dorkvader:
I was never a decent typist. I was actually ****ty and it made things very hard for me. Always unnatural and ill-at-ease.

Then I got my first Kinesis AND went from qwerty (trying dvorak) to Kinesis dvorak and ultimately Colemak (qwerty doesn't seem to make sense on a Kinesis). Your fingers move A LOT LESS. I would say that is the major difference along with being split and inclined. The matrix and bowl shape changes everything. I'm a very decent typist now, and I'm comfortable.

What I'm saying is that I didn't change, break bad habits, or learn new skills. It's 99% the keyboard. It's that different (for me).
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:17:20 »
Quote from: dorkvader;500335
So, the images are blurry: it's my phone. You really can't read the serial number. I can maybe convince my roommate to get a picture with his iPod.

Looking at the photos I can safely say your phone will take good enough photos if:
1. You take them under good lighting (by a window in daytime or under a lamp)
2. You move the phone further away from the keyboard, since it has trouble focusing so close, but focuses fine on more distant stuff.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:43:25 »
who pays for the postage?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline sordna

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 00:47:05 »
The shipper, so I did in this case. dorkvader will do the same when he ships it to the next person.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Krunchy

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 06:02:44 »
I do love my current stable of keyboards, but I won't deny that I'm concerned about developing cts or something along those lines since I do so much typing.  Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'd be interested in getting in on the try and forward if there's still room for another on the ever-growing list.
Currently hacking away on
IBM Model M || MTek K104 || Dell AT101W || Anne Pro II

Offline sordna

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 09:15:47 »
There's room, keep signing up! I'll compile a list of people that expressed interest in the OP sometime soon.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 14:10:25 »
I'm interested, and in Canada (Toronto) but a touch hesitant about the shipping costs---I have no idea how big this thing is or how much it weighs. Can anyone give a rough idea of how much it might cost to ship? Then I can be sure about whether I want to give it a go or not...

Offline sordna

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 03 February 2012, 00:41:32 »
Added list of participants to the OP, along with shipped/received dates. Let me know if I missed anyone. Keep signing up !

Offline sordna

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 20:20:43 »
Quote from: heuristicist;504495
I'm interested, and in Canada (Toronto) but a touch hesitant about the shipping costs---I have no idea how big this thing is or how much it weighs. Can anyone give a rough idea of how much it might cost to ship? Then I can be sure about whether I want to give it a go or not...

I think it weighs close to 1kg. Here are the dimensions from the kinesis-ergo.com website:

Dimensions of keyboard
• Width: 16.5 inches
• Height: Maximum is 2.9 inches high
• Depth (front-to-back): Approximately 8 inch

Of course, it needs to be double-boxed, with padding material, etc, so the package will turn out bigger / heavier than the above numbers.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 17:58:37 »
1kg ain't bad. I'm in (to confirm, since I was hesitant before). I'm located in Toronto in case you want to try to optimize the order in which people get it to help minimize overall shipping costs.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 23:07:16 »
Bytheway, is it okay if I hang onto it for another half-week or so. I just realized my time is almost up, and I need to figure out how to get the new box and packing materials from work. Then I'll get the address of the next in line (Dox isn't it?) and mail it out.

They'll let me take the materials (we normally throw it out), but there's no way I'll be able to bike home with a box that size.

Can anyone recommend a shipping method (ups, fedex, etc) for shipping to Canada?

Offline sordna

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:04:06 »
Sure you could ship it to Dox early next week. Never shipped to Canada, you gotta shop around a bit, most carriers including USPS allow you to specify package dimentions and weight and get a quote online.

Offline sordna

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 10:39:57 »
Dorkvader, when will you be shipping the keyboard to Dox ?

Offline kps

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 11:03:03 »
Quote from: dorkvader;508930
Can anyone recommend a shipping method (ups, fedex, etc) for shipping to Canada?
USPS. UPS will screw the recipient with an extortionate 'brokerage fee'.

Offline silent-circuit

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 12:00:11 »
I imagine it's much too late to get in line for this, but if possible I'd love to try it out. I'm starting to get RSI issues with my wrists, so this may be a very good thing for me.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 12:10:28 »
Quote from: silent-circuit;514251
I imagine it's much too late to get in line for this, but if possible I'd love to try it out. I'm starting to get RSI issues with my wrists, so this may be a very good thing for me.

Where are you?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline boli

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 14:37:16 »
Quote from: silent-circuit;514251

In case Input Nirvana can't hook you up you might wanna consider getting one from Kinesis themselves, they do offer a 60 day money-back guarantee. Sure you'd have to pay twice for shipment if you return it, but it still beats health issues.

Personally I prefer the Advantage LF (special order with Cherry red switches) over the standard one with Cherry browns, but that's personal preference. See link in signature.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2012, 14:39:42 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline sordna

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 14:44:42 »
fentek-ind.com honours the 60 day guarantee, and they have free shipping. So I think you would only have to pay for the return shipping, if you're in the US.

Offline Dox

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 14:55:12 »
I got it today from dorkvader, triple boxed! But I think he forgot the manual. I haven't tried it yet on my computer but out of the box, the bowl shape/matrix layout is a real pleasure to type on. I will definitively need to break some bad habits to type properly on it.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline jrockroll

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 15:38:06 »
i definitely want to try this

Offline sordna

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 17:17:41 »
Quote from: Dox;533315
I got it today from dorkvader, triple boxed! But I think he forgot the manual. I haven't tried it yet on my computer but out of the box, the bowl shape/matrix layout is a real pleasure to type on. I will definitively need to break some bad habits to type properly on it.

Wow, my keyboard became an international sensation! Please disregard the switch feel in your evaluation, those cherry browns are like 20 years old, heavily used, and have lost a lot of their tactility as well as their lubrication. You may try a good lube like Deoxit F100 if you wish. Take your time with the keyboard, I want the ErgoDox design to benefit as much as possible from your experience.

Quote from: jrockroll;533348
i definitely want to try this

Added you to the list.

Offline jrockroll

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 09:36:39 »
so we can keep this for couple weeks to try? :D

Offline sordna

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 10:33:09 »
Yup, couple of weeks is mentioned in the OP.

I will let Dox keep it for a month though, to help with the ErgoDox design considerations.

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 23:59:37 »
I'll give er' a go.

Can you add my name to the list Sordna?
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline sordna

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 00:40:35 »
Quote from: Roguemaster8;534483
I'll give er' a go.

Can you add my name to the list Sordna?

done

Offline Changdrew

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 22:49:39 »
Do want. Have been using regular keyboards and want to see how a ergonomic keyboard compares.
CM Quickfire Rapid | Filco Majestouch 2 | Filco Linear R | Poker

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 16:31:02 »
I'm actually interested in getting into the rotation, as well.  I was originally eyeing a Kinesis Freestyle - moved to the Advantage - and somehow ended up with a Leopold TKL in the end.  Live with RSI issues, so ergo boards definitely have my attention; I just haven't used them as much lately.

I know I'm a newer member to the community - if needed, I can provide PayPal information when/if we ever get that far into the rotation.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline sordna

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 16:34:30 »
Ok, added Changdrew and wiredPANDA to the list.

Offline shrap

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 01:14:55 »
Three and a half months, three users. I might see this keyboard before the end of the year.

It's a great thing you're doing sordna, but this passaround is not for the impatient.

Offline jblack801

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 13:29:19 »
This is an awesome idea. I'd love to be added as well if possible.

Offline sordna

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:22:40 »
Added. Hmm, I was hoping for some experience to be shared from the participants so far, dorkvader, Dox  ??

Offline sordna

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 18:40:57 »
Added. I also added in the OP that folks should post about their experience with the keyboard in this thread.

Offline Dox

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 19:29:12 »
I was bout to write my impressions on the kinesis so here we go.

It's my third week using the keyboard at work (programmer). I used it for a week at home before to get used to the layout and get up to speed.
I did get some very weird looks and comments when I took it to work.

The first thing I noticed is my bad habits (and the scratchy switches). I never learned the proper typing method before and I usually type the key with the hand/finger that is closer to it when I need it. I also use my pinkies a lot less than I should.
But learning the proper method is a breeze with the kinesis. With the bowl shape and the matrix layout, you are a bit forced to use the proper finger for each column.
The bowl is a bit too deep for my hands, I think the ergoDox will provide a good balance with the slightly staggered matrix layout and will still allow me to use a non perfect typing method that is just faster in some case.
The rubber function keys are just plain painful. I used a AHK script to remap the Esc and F keys on the number row.

The thumb keys are fabulous, I'm glad that I added some more to the ergoDox from the initial 2 but I personally don't have use for more than 6 and the extra keys in my design.
I noticed that at the end of the day, my arms, hands and fingers were much less stressed than with a regular keyboard. If I wasn't building my own keyboards, I would definitively buy one. Sending it to the next person and being stuck with regular keyboard will force me to finish my project. sordna, you can send me the address of the next one on the list.

A huge thanks to sordna for doing this!

Tl;dr: Good keyboard, recommended!
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2012, 19:31:38 by Dox »

Offline jblack801

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 20:51:50 »
Awesome. Good to read some feedback. I can't wait to try it out.

Offline sordna

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 00:18:23 »
Hmm, I believe Zanth and heuristicist are in Canada, wondering if it makes sense for them to get it next, otherwise 500_pts is next.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 05:30:52 »
Quote from: Dox;559773
I was bout to write my impressions on the kinesis so here we go.

It's my third week using the keyboard at work (programmer). I used it for a week at home before to get used to the layout and get up to speed.
I did get some very weird looks and comments when I took it to work.

The first thing I noticed is my bad habits (and the scratchy switches). I never learned the proper typing method before and I usually type the key with the hand/finger that is closer to it when I need it. I also use my pinkies a lot less than I should.
But learning the proper method is a breeze with the kinesis. With the bowl shape and the matrix layout, you are a bit forced to use the proper finger for each column.
The bowl is a bit too deep for my hands, I think the ergoDox will provide a good balance with the slightly staggered matrix layout and will still allow me to use a non perfect typing method that is just faster in some case.
The rubber function keys are just plain painful. I used a AHK script to remap the Esc and F keys on the number row.

The thumb keys are fabulous, I'm glad that I added some more to the ergoDox from the initial 2 but I personally don't have use for more than 6 and the extra keys in my design.
I noticed that at the end of the day, my arms, hands and fingers were much less stressed than with a regular keyboard. If I wasn't building my own keyboards, I would definitively buy one. Sending it to the next person and being stuck with regular keyboard will force me to finish my project. sordna, you can send me the address of the next one on the list.

A huge thanks to sordna for doing this!

Tl;dr: Good keyboard, recommended!

oh does that mean you're ready for more input from kinesis users for the ergodox? heh

Offline Dox

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 17:58:15 »
Always ready for some input but the design as it is right now is pretty much what I'm going for (at least for my first prototype).
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46260[/ATTACH]

Offline jblack801

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 18:00:31 »
I really like the look of the prototype. I like the gray chassis.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 23:07:32 »
I am very likely going to be in California from June through August. I'm far enough down the list that assuming exactly two weeks per person I'll be back in Toronto before it's my turn, but if you want to adjust the order of the people receiving it for proximity (i.e. bump the Canadians up since Dox is also in Canada) then I'm just making it known that I will only be in Canada up until the end of May :D (Technically I'll still be in Canada for the first bit of June but I will be in Montreal for a conference.)

Offline ahjota

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 18:57:55 »
Can you add me to the list, sordna? Fairfax/Arlington, VA.

I love that all of these "try and forward" opportunities are available here at Geekhack.
Model M 1391401, 27 Feb 1987
DSI Left-Handed, Cherry Blacks
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless, Cherry Browns

Offline sordna

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 00:36:25 »
Quote from: heuristicist;566222
I am very likely going to be in California from June through August. I'm far enough down the list that assuming exactly two weeks per person I'll be back in Toronto before it's my turn, but if you want to adjust the order of the people receiving it for proximity (i.e. bump the Canadians up since Dox is also in Canada) then I'm just making it known that I will only be in Canada up until the end of May :D (Technically I'll still be in Canada for the first bit of June but I will be in Montreal for a conference.)

Hmm, given the above info, I'm thinking you should get it next, and then you ship it to Zanth. Then it should be going back to the States. Please PM Dox with your address info so he can ship it to you.

Quote from: ahjota
Can you add me to the list, sordna? Fairfax/Arlington, VA.

OK, you have been added.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 11:19:56 »
Quote from: sordna;569589
Hmm, given the above info, I'm thinking you should get it next, and then you ship it to Zanth. Then it should be going back to the States. Please PM Dox with your address info so he can ship it to you.

Done. Thanks! I'm excited to give it a go, plus the time constraints are going to force me to get my desktop up and running. (Install Arch using a Kinesis rather than a standard keyboard... sounds like a great way to get the hang of it!)

Offline StaCT13

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 17:47:21 »
If the thing's still working, I'd like in! I've been meaning to try an ergo-bowl board, especially seeing how my dad's had some wrist issues in the past.

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline sordna

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 23:30:30 »
What's your state (I'm assuming you're in the US, right?)

Offline StaCT13

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 16:39:39 »
Yeah, I'm up in Connecticut.

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline sordna

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 14:16:48 »
Added. Also, Dox, when you send out the keyboard please post about the date you shipped it, and PM me the tracking number. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 April 2012, 14:19:39 by sordna »

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 15:09:18 »
I eagerly await my turn. I've been wanting to test-drive a Kinesis for awhile now.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Dox

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 16:28:55 »
I sent the keyboard to heuristicist yesterday, he should get it before the weekend. Thanks again for doing this sordna!

Offline sordna

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 17:32:17 »
I just realized dorkvader still hasn't posted about his experience with the keyboard, dorkvader ?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 20:39:47 »
Looks like I owe you all an apology.

First: I've taken forever with the kinesis.
Second: I still haven't posted my thoughts.
Third: I cleaned up my room and found the manual.

I feel like there's not really any way I could have messed up worse. I will do what I can to fix things. I'll see what I can type up from my notes ASAP.