Author Topic: Ergonomic keyboard with mechanical switches under $150?  (Read 13908 times)

Offline c64

Ergonomic keyboard with mechanical switches under $150?
« on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 16:27:57 »
I am looking to replace my Logitech K350 keyboard because the keys seem to be unresponsive at times.  I would like to get a mechanical keyboard because of the tactile feel and accuracy but the only ergonomic keyboards I see with mechanical keys are the Truly Ergonomic and Kinesis Advantage.  Both are near $300.   Ive read decent review about the Kinesis Freestyle and I like the fact  that the keyboard is split/movable, but the keys are not mechanical.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 August 2012, 16:41:22 by c64 »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Ergonomic keyboard with mechanical switches under $150?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 20:27:02 »
I don't think those exist.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 20:49:27 »
What about an old Alps board?

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 23:19:46 »
I was going to recommend a Datadesk Smartboard, but it seems they're out of business now. The website is still up though: http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_sb.html
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 00:55:51 »
Kinesis advantage is well worth a try.

You might want to search for -
Maltron
Data desk (as suggested above)
Utron

If you have time -
Northgate evolution
Chicony kb-7001
Datahand
IBM m15

... But for now, check out the Kinesis (I think you can return it if you don't get on with it).  I love mine.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hoggy

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 01:00:48 »
Sorry, just noticed the price constraint...  I recommend ignoring it.  If you're looking for an ergonomic keyboard,  then chances are you are in pain, and need to work all day at a computer.   Spend the extra money.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 03:17:31 »
ebay for a kinesis.

i've had 4 kinesis i got for around $50 each with shipping, they were all arguably new and minorly used or never at all. The secret truth is that most ppl buy a kinesis and stop using it or give up after a few days, cuz well it takes time to relearn how to type, this means you can usually get in on a deal.

here's my pro-tip for buying em, usually now you'll only (99% of the time) find white kinesis on ebay, look at the wrist rests, make sure they are NOT stained, or basically make sure that it's one color, no one in their right mind will go and buy replacement pads (cuz they cost 50bucks anyway) just to sell their kinesis.

Of course you might come into the problem of people that have already replaced their worn pads (cuz of use) or there aren't any pads at all, with this i just look for another kinesis.

look, you have no options, you mentioned you would like a TE or a kinesis, but you have a budget of half the cost of a new one of either model, all other so called mechanical ergo keyboards SUCK, so don't bother.

and of course hoggy has a point, if you want an ergo board, then you're in pain, either get the kinesis, with my ebay way, or get more/extra cash, don't let your wrists become nasty old woman 55year old haggard witch secretary hands.

Offline c64

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 07:16:18 »
Thanks for the replies/recommendations.  One other note I should have put in my first post.  I do 3D design, so my right hand is constantly going from the keyboard to my mouse all day.   

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 07:27:40 »
What were the features that you found helpful on the Logitech K350?  The tenting?  The slight arc in the rows? Do you need the ten key?

Unfortunately,  anytime a keyboard has the word ergonomic or mechanical in its name it's probably going to be more expensive.  Having a mechanical board is a pleasure to use but may not be necessary (Blasphemy!).

Physical pain or its little brother discomfort are other matters. If you need an ergo board you simply can't type without one. If you can't afford a mechanical ergo board but have certain ergo needs it's no disgrace to stay with the rubber domes. Having said that, buying a TE was the best thing I ever did for my numb fingers and wrists.

If you have or are developing RSI and spend a lot of time at the keyboard, I'd probably try to find the extra cash for an Advantage or TE.

Offline c64

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 07:50:32 »
What were the features that you found helpful on the Logitech K350?  The tenting?  The slight arc in the rows? Do you need the ten key?

Unfortunately,  anytime a keyboard has the word ergonomic or mechanical in its name it's probably going to be more expensive.  Having a mechanical board is a pleasure to use but may not be necessary (Blasphemy!).

Physical pain or its little brother discomfort are other matters. If you need an ergo board you simply can't type without one. If you can't afford a mechanical ergo board but have certain ergo needs it's no disgrace to stay with the rubber domes. Having said that, buying a TE was the best thing I ever did for my numb fingers and wrists.

If you have or are developing RSI and spend a lot of time at the keyboard, I'd probably try to find the extra cash for an Advantage or TE.

The main reason I like to use a ergonomic keyboard is the angled keys for my right hand.  I was involved in an accident as a kid and which prevents my wrist from turning.  When I type on a regular keyboard, I have raise my right arm in a way to flatten out my wrist for typing.  A ergonomic keyboard with the keys angled the way there are helps me.   This is why the Freestyle looks so appealing to me.  I just wish they offered it with mechanical keys.  I might end up giving it a try though.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 08:22:48 »
If you manage to score a decent keyboard from Ebay (as lanx) suggests, you might then look at getting a mouse to suit.  Do you use your right or left for mousing?

Offline vatin

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 12:38:47 »
With mech ergo board u really have no choice.
Go with Kinesis Advantage like I do. It will serve you 10 year plus (with good care) and u will benefit from it every minute of use!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 13:43:38 »
I have a Kinesis as well but can't recommend it in this case because it is barely angled at all.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline c64

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 14:06:08 »
I have a Kinesis as well but can't recommend it in this case because it is barely angled at all.

Kinesis Advantage?  The keys are angled.  The angle I am referring to is the keys angled towards the top of the keyboard, like a triangle.  Maybe theres another term for this.

OT, I just joined this board.  Is there a reason why every time you post, you must enter a CAPTCHA and security question?

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 14:22:04 »
No, that's what I meant. This is very subtle on the Kinesis and there are some mods that cut it in half and prop it up to increase this effect. Where is the 'everything kinesis advantage' article/thread? Was that recovered? I can't find the picture anymore. :/

Edit: Found it.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 15:54:06 »
OT, I just joined this board.  Is there a reason why every time you post, you must enter a CAPTCHA and security question?

This may be a restriction on new posters, due to the recent hacking. I've never run across this. But then again I've been here a few years now.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 18:46:37 »
I'm curious. Has anybody out there ever tried a Freestyle or the Goldtouch equivalent. I know there not mechanical but I wonder what people think of them?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 05:08:46 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:31:31 by davkol »

Offline hoggy

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:28:40 »
I've got a goldtouch and a freestyle.  I prefer the freestyle's layout, but the one I've got has aged horribly - haven't come across a bad goldtouch yet.

Offline shrap

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 01:35:39 »
Thanks for the replies/recommendations.  One other note I should have put in my first post.  I do 3D design, so my right hand is constantly going from the keyboard to my mouse all day.   

This might be causing more problems than a new keyboard would solve. Have you tried putting a mouse on the left hand side of your keyboard, or getting a tenkeyless board?

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 11:52:06 »
You can get a refurbished Advantage for 20% off the list price from Kinesis.com which comes with the same 2 year warranty & 60-day money back guarantee as a new one. Still over the $150 price range but can save you a little bit. Ebay of course has great deals from time to time.

Offline c64

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 12:58:06 »
Hello all. I need to bite the bullet soon and buy a new keyboard.  My current keyboard is pissing me off, unresponsive keys and delays (wireless K350).   I want to throw it out the window. I narrowed it down between the Kinesis Freestyle2 and the Truly Ergonomic keyboard.  Which keyboard will be easiest to transition to?  Which do you recommend?  Last, I see the TE site has some discontinued models on sale, is it worth getting the newer model?

Offline hoggy

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 15:14:35 »
I still recommend the advantage.  Not difficult to get used to.  It'll last a lot longer than the freestyle.

Buy it and return it if you have to.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 15:15:21 »
hit up input nirvana if you're looking for a good deal on a kinesis
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline c64

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 15:17:59 »
I still recommend the advantage.  Not difficult to get used to.  It'll last a lot longer than the freestyle.

Buy it and return it if you have to.

The Advantage is to much money.  I know it will be tough getting my company to buy a $200, let alone a $300 keyboard.

What about the Truly Ergonomic?

Offline Tracer

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 09:44:59 »

I have two. It's a great keyboard. I have the 109 and 209 models (identical except for firmware).
Only disadvantage is the default key layout. I've remapped both using freely available software for Windows. The manufacturer claims that remapping software is coming, but it's been two years.

Offline c64

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 10:43:27 »

I have two. It's a great keyboard. I have the 104 and 207 models (identical except for firmware).
Only disadvantage is the default key layout. I've remapped both using freely available software for Windows. The manufacturer claims that remapping software is coming, but it's been two years.

They have the 104 on clearance for $179.  I cant tell the difference based on the description between the 109 and the 207. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2012, 12:45:25 by c64 »