Author Topic: How to use wrist rests properly  (Read 2952 times)

Offline tbc

How to use wrist rests properly
« on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 16:44:29 »
I seen people commenting that wrist rests are bad for you if you put your wrists on them.  Instead, they say to put your palms on it instead.

what do people mean by palms in this case?  do they mean the center of your hand?

if you take a look at your wrist, you'll see a horizontal wrinkle line dividing your hand from your arm.  Right above that line there are two boney/tendony bumps.  I put those two bumps on the desk as I type on they keyboard.  Am I 'wrist resting' or am i 'palm resting'?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: How to use wrist rests properly
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:02:20 »
I am pretty sure this is what they mean

But then again, everyone has their own particular anatomy, habits and positions that work for them. The one problem I have with wrist rests is that they are often too low for me. Especially the ones that come attached to the keyboard. Maybe I let my hands hover too high on occasion, but I always thought I was a pretty traditional home-row typist, and I found most wristrests to be utterly useless.

Personally, when using a  wrist rest, I also rest on my palms not my actual wrists. If I were to do that, my fingers would end up somewhere past the numeric row.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:07:42 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:05:27 »

Show Image

Quite didactic ;)

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:20:05 »

Show Image

lol yes, that's what i figure to.  no one has actually defined the 'border' between wrist and palm when discussing this.

you see the horizontal wrinkle line I'm talking about?  technically, one an inch above (more?) that line is still technically your wrist (all those small bones).  But when people discuss it here, what exactly is their definition of wrist?  does it end at the line or after all the small 'carpal bones'?  It's hard to take advice when it's so unclear

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:39:59 »
I do not think you have to take any advice so strict. Do what makes sense and what feels good. Your hands are different from mine, so where exactly it is that you rest them may be a little different as well. Honestly, just take a comfortable home-row position and it should work out.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tbc

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 18:26:28 »
thank you.  that's exactly the type of recommendation I was looking for.