Author Topic: Looking to replace my Razer Naga Epic Mouse  (Read 5433 times)

Offline corky

Looking to replace my Razer Naga Epic Mouse
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 14:49:40 »
I'm very happy with my Razer Naga Epic and am considering replacing it with a Razer Naga 2014...but I'm also open to other mice that are similar. 

• I have small hands and the Naga fits them quite well
  • I like having many thumb buttons, but I don't really need 12
  • I DON'T like the mouse wheel and buttons behind the mouse wheel...they are useless to me when it comes to gaming because they are ergonomically difficult to reach (I like how the Razer Naga Molten moves these to the left of the left mouse button..but it doesn't have the raised thumb buttons like the 2014!)

Anyone have any recommendations?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Looking to replace my Razer Naga Epic Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 15:04:14 »
G9x is my recommendation to anyone who says they have small hands. It's a great mouse, my hands are just way too big to use one.

If you want something more bare-bones, the Sensei RAW is my favorite mouse ever. It mouses. That's all it needs to do.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 15:07:31 »
G9x only has 2 thumbs.  Try the 700s or possibly the cheaper 500 and 400.  Also consider g602
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline corky

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 17:13:55 »
G9x only has 2 thumbs.  Try the 700s or possibly the cheaper 500 and 400.  Also consider g602

My local best buy has the Naga 2014, 700s, and g602...I'm going to swing by and try 'em all out!

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 17:17:00 »
I am interested in trying the hex actually because i heard that the side keys are mechanical and easier to press then the keys on the regular naga and as you said 12 is kinda too much i feel like 6 is just the right number.
What the hell am I even doing

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 18:02:51 »
I am interested in trying the hex actually because i heard that the side keys are mechanical and easier to press then the keys on the regular naga and as you said 12 is kinda too much i feel like 6 is just the right number.

Naga hex has some sensor problems from what I've heard.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 18:04:26 »

Naga hex has some sensor problems from what I've heard.
Never heard something like this so it MIGHT be just trash talk against razer products just as usual. I might be 100005 wrong tho.. :D
What the hell am I even doing

Offline corky

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 20:34:04 »
So, here are my findings so far:

Naga 2014 - Unfortunately, it does not come with the ergonomically changeable right side and its a lot wider than the Naga Black I have.  It was unbearable to use

g602 - The grip just didn't feel right

So I went ahead and bought the g700s.  So far, its okay...the left forefinger buttons are squishy and have a lot of play in them.  The thumb buttons will take some getting used to.  Having a tilting scroll wheel is nice.  I'm still playing around with the configuration settings.

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:22:38 »
out of curiosity, how many buttons were you using on the naga?

I have use for 6-9 of them depending on which ide, if i'm in a browser, etc.

basic text ops for every situation:
ctrl+a
ctrl+c
ctrl+v

ides have:
ctrl+z
ctrl+y
ctrl+s
ctrl+b (build hotkey in VS)
2 macros

browsers have:
shft+return (forward tab)
return (prev tab)
ctrl+r

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 14:06:38 »
I was going to suggest the G600, but I see you've already purchased a 700s. The thumb buttons on the 600 are easier to navigate (than the Naga) and it has a third button which is comfortable to use (the G-shift button).

May still be worth a look if the 700s isn't working out for you.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 15:06:04 »
are you comparing the g600 to the earlier than 2014 nagas?

everyone says that the 2014 thumb buttons beat everything else without even thinking about it.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 20:24:25 »
are you comparing the g600 to the earlier than 2014 nagas?

everyone says that the 2014 thumb buttons beat everything else without even thinking about it.

I haven't tried the Naga 2014, but I have used the G600(and the Naga 2013), and looking at the pictures of the new Naga it seems that they're just copying the G600. The feel of the buttons might be superior, but the G600 layout and software is still superior from my point of view. At best you get a copy of the G600 thumb buttons with slightly better feel to them, but even in that case you're still stuck with Synapse 2.0, which is way worse than LGS for assigning loads of buttons and program-specific profiles. And the fact that the G600 has a second layer which is easily accessible, something that the Naga can't do effectively.

Offline tbc

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 12:53:02 »
I'm a heavy user of of both synapse (orbweaver + naga) and LGS (performance mouse mx, anywhere mouse MX,  g9x, g700s) and i have to say....they're both fairly identical.

LGS still wins with mice that have onboard memory, but that's about it. much of the synapse hate was for the online-only factor and they've must have cleaned up synapse 2 ALOT because I've only had one issue with it - it's very bad at keepingtrack of synced profiles and asks me to redownload the latest profile even when that profile came from the current device.

haven't had the g600 or the nagas, but everyone complained that all MMO mice had membrany feeling buttons and it was hard to tell your position on the 'grid' by feel alone.  both problems have been solved - positioning is VERY accurate.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 15:39:05 »
I'm a heavy user of of both synapse (orbweaver + naga) and LGS (performance mouse mx, anywhere mouse MX,  g9x, g700s) and i have to say....they're both fairly identical.

LGS still wins with mice that have onboard memory, but that's about it. much of the synapse hate was for the online-only factor and they've must have cleaned up synapse 2 ALOT because I've only had one issue with it - it's very bad at keepingtrack of synced profiles and asks me to redownload the latest profile even when that profile came from the current device.

haven't had the g600 or the nagas, but everyone complained that all MMO mice had membrany feeling buttons and it was hard to tell your position on the 'grid' by feel alone.  both problems have been solved - positioning is VERY accurate.

That's the brilliant part about the G600, the keypad is shaped so that you always know which button is where. When I got mine there was no learning curve at all.

Also, the reason LGS wins over Synapse is that when it detects a game(unlike Synapse, LGS will auto-detect many games) it comes pre-loaded with a list of commands for that game that you can then drag and drop onto the buttons you want them on. When you then exit the application or tab out, it also deactivates the profile and reverts to the default as long as there is no profile assigned to whatever takes focus next.
All in all the LGS is much more convenient than the Synapse. Also, the macro functionality in LGS is better than in Synapse. For instance, you cannot make a latched key in Synapse no matter how hard you try, which is a pain because many MMO games benefit greatly from latched keys, such as making a key to toggle right click on and off for a look toggle. That's something you can't actually do in Synapse.