Author Topic: [IC] 1800 mini by xikii (video updated)  (Read 38608 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] 1800 mini by xikii (video updated)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 09:08:33 »
Very nice ) you have price  ?

I believe he said on Discord that it will be in the ballpark of $500 USD.
(There's a channel on the Gray Studio Discord for it, as mentioned upthread)
I’m not trying to be disrespectful here and just an uninformed buyer, how does the board justify a price in the ball park of 500 bucks? I understand it’s featured-packed but its overall doesn’t come off as a board that is anymore than 300.

$500? LOLz.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 09:17:34 »

What the...500?!! Wasn't the original run something like $140 on taobao? What about this run makes the price more than triple over the initial run?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 09:28:14 »

What the...500?!! Wasn't the original run something like $140 on taobao? What about this run makes the price more than triple over the initial run?
Hype?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline ysys

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 09:40:38 »

https://streamable.com/4p8lh

This link scared the hell out of me.
Looks like an interesting layout that I might be into in the future.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 10:33:38 »

And just like that, you lost 90% of interested people

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 11:44:38 »

The Apple's marketing recipe: Make something that looks nice, keep ppl hyping, add a huge mark-up, make profits like a mad-man.

Offline sicksixsicc

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 12:28:46 »

The Apple's marketing recipe: Make something that looks nice, keep ppl hyping, add a huge mark-up, make profits like a mad-man.

Did I miss something? Oldcat mention that Gray wouldn't be the manu? but if in fact its $500, I'm most likely out, just can't justify the cost just because it looks interesting/different. The layout and size looks beautiful but without the extra alpha column it seem it would be a major adjustment.

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 14:34:32 »
It was posted on the discord, that while a Taobao page was made for the product, none were ever sold. The price was just a generic number they set it at which was 999 cny, i am assuming is translating to ~140 USD? which everyone is freaking out about.

I also asked about pricing, and he mentioned that it is not 100% set yet, and he is continuing to make some adjustments to the keyboard and will post as soon as he has a better estimate on what the GB pricing will be.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 14:41:25 »
Gray isn't the manu -- xikii has his own? -- but they're just hosting the discord channel for it.

What I saw was that the cost was based on machining time for a thick integrated plate and two-part base, but I agree that $500 prices me out of this GB also. He said something about the price possibly changing, but I don't see it dropping like 20+%. Which is really too bad given how much I was looking forward to it, but oh well... there'll always be more boards.

I'm surprised it's quoted as even higher than the Prime E, which holtenc said turned out more expensive to produce than he expected.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 15:47:47 »
Gotta day if this is more than $350, I’m out. Not judging , but just won’t be in line with my expectations or budget.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 16:33:02 »

Did I miss something? Oldcat mention that Gray wouldn't be the manu? but if in fact its $500, I'm most likely out, just can't justify the cost just because it looks interesting/different. The layout and size looks beautiful but without the extra alpha column it seem it would be a major adjustment.

Just think different.

Jokes apart, that one missing alpha column is a major usability issue. Unless you want this for show only.

Offline kawaiicheung

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 14:30:13 »

The r1's price on taobao is about $360 not include shipping costs.

Offline Funktion

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 14:34:48 »
Holding out hoping the price is much more reasonable otherwise I'm out like a fat kid in Dodge ball.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 15:51:37 »

I’m not trying to be disrespectful here and just an uninformed buyer, how does the board justify a price in the ball park of 500 bucks? I understand it’s featured-packed but its overall doesn’t come off as a board that is anymore than 300.

I think xikii meant that it includes shipping to worldwide, a board with high-end switches, and possibly paypal fees

I will let him explain.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 17:49:31 »

I think xikii meant that it includes shipping to worldwide, a board with high-end switches, and possibly paypal fees

I will let him explain.

That would be a first. I have never seen a GB for a keyboard that most likely doesn't include those things (other than shipping) and say that the estimated price is based on a fully built keyboard. Hell, why not include another $200 for a GMK set. So is this now a $700 a keyboard?

What people care about is how much is this going to be at group buy costs.

Offline xikiistudio

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 20:55:36 »
Hello guys,I am Xikii, one of the designer of Xikii 1800mini.

First of all, thanks for your attention, and Thank you Oldcat for post the IC for us.

We just wana to bulid a compact board with a practical and compact layout, Bluetooth&USB-C dual mode, All switchs Hot swap, Double sided RGB LED and also have stable tap feeling.
So we made it the Xikii 1800mini.
It’s my first post on geekhack.
I was very happy that I could introduce my work here on Geekhack to the players all around the world, with my pleasure.
Now, just let me show you some details of the 1800mini.

The layout of it is streamlined from the classical CHERRY G80-1800.So we named it 1800mini.
The size is only a little wider than 60% keyboards. Could be seen as a 40% keyboard added function and numpad.

We also made a graphical keymap builder for it (links: http://ydkb.io/ OR http://ydkb.xikii.com/ ),It's easy for everyone to edit their own keymap.

The keyboard structure is divided into three layers. The top case part mainly bears the fixing function of the switchs and PCB. The fully wrapped positioning structure design can ensure the stable feel of each switch and the stable connection with the hot plug component.

The details of the position plate in picture, you may never seen a switch plate like that before. I designed the position structure in the year of 2015. It's more stable than any other plates, suitable for hot plug.

A lot of testing and processing time is required here. The processing hours of one plate like this maybe could made two or three whole set keyboards of simple design. The cost is really high in it. A lots of machining cuts working with Very fine milling cutter here.

And it is suit for almost all MX switchs. GATERON and CHERRY switchs in picture.

The middle part is the light-transmissive layer made of acrylic. As a keyboard with wireless function, if it is made of all metal, the wireless signals will be shielded. Therefore, the intermediate layer was made by CNC cutting with acrylic material. On the one hand, it can guarantee the complete wireless signals, on the other hand, it is also a light-transmissive layer of RGB light. The RGB bottom light and the switch light also have some linkage effects.

This is a demo video of some of the lighting effects.
https://streamable.com/4p8lh

Of course, there are structural functions to provide space for components on the PCB and separate the PCB from the 3800mah lithium battery.

1800mini has a 3800mah lithium battery inside. It could charging while using with USB.

The wireless life time is related to lighting effects.
If you turn on the light, the battery life is 2 days - one week.
Some lighting effects cost less power, and some lighting effects cost more.
If you totally turn off the light. You could use it for a long time. Maybe 60days or more.

The bottom case is made of aluminum alloy and provides the overall tilt of the keyboard. At the structural level, it has the function of a battery compartment and also blocks the rgb underlight on the PCB to make the illumination more uniform. In addition, it is responsible for fixing the screws with the top case. After the keycap is installed, there are no visible screw holes on the surface.

I am not very satisfied with the previous bottom design, so I just updated the design last week.
The below one is newer.

Have you ever seen any of the more powerful compact keyboards so far?
So, in my mind, practical and compact layout, Bluetooth&USB-C dual mode, All switchs Hot swap, Double sided RGB LED and also have stable tap feeling, the ultimate form of a compact keyboard is probably like this.
I hope that you will agree with it.

We started this project at 2015. And we made the first edition in 2018, then sold it only in CHINA for 2 ROUND , until 2019. In the last ROUND the price of 1800mini is about 380USD without any switch and keycaps.
If we officially start a GB on Geekhack, we will keep this price.

380USD for the 1800mini set without switch and keycaps.

And consider to that some keycaps are not well matched. Just like the two 2.75U spacebar and 1.75U enter.

We may offer some options, just like custom SA raised 2.75U spacebars in the color you need (20USD) and a set of cheaper standard keycaps (No more than 50USD).
We also could provide some transparent switches (No more than 50USD a set)

The detailed option plan will be announced when the GB is start.

If the number of GB orders reaches a certain amount like 300orders.
We will provide one Xikii LOGO keycaps for every buyer as a gift.

Thank you all again, sincerely.
From your new friend Xikii.

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2019, 23:07:11 by xikiistudio »

Offline holtenc

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 23:15:04 »
Thanks for chiming in xikii

Offline Kavik

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 23:17:28 »
This looks very nice. That plate looks especially sturdy. Great work!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline sicksixsicc

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 00:11:33 »
Thanks for the update! The info on board and price have got me interested again  :thumb:

Offline prod

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 21:32:00 »

The first round 1800mini accept order in the end of 2016. At that time, we are only told about the 1800mini laytout, we don‘t know other like how the case look like, will pcb have some features like wireless RGB or others. And we are also told that there is no exact time when this keyboard come out.
Base on this situation, I still choose to believe u/yangdigi and xikii and pay the order early of 2017. With the case and pcb features is getting complete, I even pay one more times for the update. Finally I got my 1800mini, it total took me $320~$330 and almost a year and a half times.  As I known, the extra kits of first round 1800mini all sold for more than $360.
I really enjoy this keyboard.
220914-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 June 2019, 00:24:09 by prod »
Chicory|YDPv2(BLUP)|BLE40|Daisy|YDPM|YD40w|Golbat

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 08:25:47 »
Apologies if this has already been asked, but have the case colors for R2 of this GB been decided? Absolutely love the layout and I wanna make this my first tip-top end game keeb, but case color variety is gonna affect that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iGK64 - Kailh Speed Bronze - GMK Laser
Pok3r - MX Red - GMK Red Samurai
NIU Mini - Tealio - DSA Drifter
Incoming: Mechmini 2 - SA Night King

Offline Starius

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 08:58:24 »
I’ve been curious about the color options, as well!

Offline kawaiicheung

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 19:24:28 »

The first round 1800mini accept order in the end of 2016. At that time, we are only told about the 1800mini laytout, we don‘t know other like how the case look like, will pcb have some features like wireless RGB or others. And we are also told that there is no exact time when this keyboard come out.
Base on this situation, I still choose to believe u/yangdigi and xikii and pay the order early of 2017. With the case and pcb features is getting complete, I even pay one more times for the update. Finally I got my 1800mini, it total took me $320~$330 and almost a year and a half times.  As I known, the extra kits of first round 1800mini all sold for more than $360.
I really enjoy this keyboard.
(Attachment Link)

awesome man!

Offline bpatters22

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 03:48:16 »
Get in my belly.  I don't care the cost, we need this to breathe!

Offline mangopls

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 14:05:18 »
Im in! This looks great!

Offline hwanzi

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 21:26:43 »
i need dis

Offline dimplezzz

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:03:59 »
Is this still a possibility?? :D :D

Offline threekiings

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 11:13:21 »
Where would this GB be held when it happens?
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 August 2019, 11:45:06 by threekiings »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 21:34:19 »
Is there a discord for this or any way to follow? Still interested!

Offline macubex007

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 22:07:34 »
Where would this GB be held when it happens?

I asked Xikii, and he said the internatioinal GB will start on end of August.

The new 1800mini just finished the GB on china via taobao.

So everyone just get your wallet prepared !!

Offline Starius

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 08:17:48 »
Did the Chinese GB have different color options?
I’ve never been able to get an answer about colors.

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 15:35:01 »
Hi,

Very much interested in this. What is the target price? Do you know the overall dimension of the keyboard?

Offline macubex007

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 01:41:21 »

The color in recent run in china GB is black, grey, silver, deep blue, e-yellow, and e-white.

Hi,

Very much interested in this. What is the target price? Do you know the overall dimension of the keyboard?

Don't know the target price in international GB, and the overall dimension of 1800 mini is 320*120*32 mm.

Offline Starius

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:20:38 »

The color in recent run in china GB is black, grey, silver, deep blue, e-yellow, and e-white.

Hi,

Don't know the target price in international GB, and the overall dimension of 1800 mini is 320*120*32 mm.

Thank you for the info, Macubex! 👍

Offline sicksixsicc

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 14:46:31 »
I check this page 2x a day, daily.  :))

Offline zekth

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 28 August 2019, 16:52:51 »
You're not alone  :-X

Offline hwanzi

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 21:19:15 »
has the group buy started yet?

Offline oidly28

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 20:18:45 »
Is this still alive? Hope it's still gonna go, checking everyday with fingers crossed
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 September 2019, 20:32:48 by oidly28 »

Offline LostInInaka

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 10:39:02 »
Do wish this used qmk as the ydkb website builder won’t let me use some of the functions I’d like to enable (or at least easily or in a way I can figure out  :-\)

Offline cakeofhonor

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 01:43:19 »
Made an account just to ask if this was still going on. I'm seeing people receive this on Taobao, so did we miss the GB?

Offline sicksixsicc

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 02:33:00 »

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 20:17:34 »
Any updates?

Offline holtenc

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 02:22:28 »
I believe the GB open to US was supposed to ship back in March. No doubt delayed by the pandemic. Any update to the ETA?