Author Topic: [IC] KAT Oblique [on hold]  (Read 21826 times)

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
[IC] KAT Oblique [on hold]
« on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 10:17:09 »

KAT Oblique is the long awaited successor to XDA Oblique, which ran successfully in 2018.

Oblique is a keyset inspired by the keycaps of the AEK, AEKII, M0116/8, and many other similar Apple keyboards from the late 80s, 90s and early 00s. The unique font and matching icons have been carefully replicated to match the originals as closely as possible. That means they have been completely reworked since the original run.

Pneuma by Stef Wolters

More renders

More

Pneuma by Stef Wolters

TMOv2 by Funderburker

TMOv2 by Funderburker

Modern M0110 by Janglad and Heroyjenkins

Modern M0110 by Janglad and Heroyjenkins

Onyx by Funderburker and Ryan

Onyx by Funderburker and Ryan

EquinoxBT by Ryan, Janglad, and Engicoder

EquinoxBT by Ryan, Janglad, and Engicoder

Dharma by Qoda Studio

Dharma by Qoda Studio

Note: While we've tried to make these renders as accurate as possible, final colours may vary slightly. The colours used for this set are shown below. Samples have already been requested and photos will be added before the group buy starts.

Kits

More

Colours

Colours have been tweaked slightly when compared to XDA Oblique. The biggest changes are the green and the red which should be a little more saturated, and the blue should be a little lighter.

Sample photos

Soon™

Collaborations

To be announced

Vendors

To be announced

FAQ

No weeb sublegends like XDA Oblique?

I had to sacrifice some combinations to include everything I wanted while keeping the number of kits reasonable for this set. Katakana sublegends were by far the worst selling of the alpha and modifier options available in XDA Oblique. Perhaps they will return in future, but not in this round.

Why no child kits for the Inverse colour scheme?

Unfortunately due to their backlog, Keyreative isn't accepting any sets with lots of reverse dye-sub work because of all the extra manufacturing time and QC involved. As a result we've had to limit the inverse colour scheme to just one base kit.

Any chance of Alps support?

People have been asking me about this since before XDA Oblique first ran. In my opinion it doesn't make sense to run Oblique with Alps support. Original AEKII keycaps are relatively common and unlike most Alps stuff can be found for a pretty reasonable price. I might run an Alps project in future, but not Oblique.

But what about TA Origins?

Samples are taking their sweet time to arrive, so I've chosen to prioritise this project for the moment. I still hope to follow through with that set in future.

Feedback

To give your feedback on the proposed set and kit designs fill out the IC survey form, or for anything that isn't covered leave a reply or feel free to DM me.

IC Form

Discord

If you want to discuss this set you can join the OC Lab Discord server. To receive notifications about project updates you can request the oblique role. All updates will of course be posted in this geekhack thread too.

OC Lab Discord server

Special thanks

• Ryan — collaborating on both XDA and KAT Oblique
  • Oggi — those sexy renders
  • babyattacker and envoco — upcoming collaborations
  • Alex from zFrontier — all the help communicating with Keyreative
Banner

To show your support for this set add the following BBCode to your geekhack signature.

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113256.0][img]http://i.imgur.com/8m8ptLg.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 September 2021, 13:42:26 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
Re: [IC] KAT Oblique
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 10:18:05 »
Reserved for updates
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 10:26:45 »
Lookin good, inverse kit looks like a really good addition!

Would love to see ISO-PT on int kit.

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 10:34:42 »
Inverse kit looking good. Hooray for 1.5U super/cmd in the base kit! An Inverse bars kit would be a nice addition, and no reverse dye-sub on those.

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 10:42:21 »
Good luck, although I'm out of any KAT until they normalize their qc standards.

Offline Oggi

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 11:42:02 »
ill

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 11:56:42 »
Apple fan, will for sure follow this,
GLWIC

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 12:03:38 »
Cool

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 12:33:14 »
Yes! very much please. Been waiting for an Apple-esque set in KAT profile.

BTW, anyone has insight as to what's the production time for KAT these days?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2021, 12:36:28 by lecorsair »

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 12:38:15 »
love this set. always a huge fan of retro apple inspired stuff

Offline linuxleah

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 12:53:19 »
WANT!

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 13:13:30 »
Would love to see a render with the inverse base kit and accent mods. GLWIC!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 13:25:00 »
Yes! very much please. Been waiting for an Apple-esque set in KAT profile.

BTW, anyone has insight as to what's the production time for KAT these days?

I think it varies a bit from set to set, but I believe it should be around 8-10 months. We've already requested samples and hope to have them approved before the GB, as this has been a big delay for other KAT sets.

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 13:40:59 »
AEK LEGENDS LETS ****ING GOOOOOOOOO

Offline azzipa

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 14:14:58 »

the bleed on milkshake looks bad. there's also the lack of communications with macsurfy for KAT refined. he's heard nothing for months and set appears to be stalled. i'm not at all optimistic. doc, i'm a fan of your work. i'm just not convinced KAT is the optimal choice atm. if anyone has different information i would love to hear it.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 15:01:11 »
People need to give KAT a chance and time for them to comeback. Otherwise they never will but yes, KAT has had its problems.

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 16:40:00 »
I'm willing to give a company a chance if they are trying to change production to better their product; however, the lack of communication is what is concerning to me. Additionally, if they have been communication with you for this keyset but ghosting mac - that's even more concerning to me.

I love this set and I'm all in for test base, accents, and inverse - I just hope it actually gets to the point where we can confidently say they're going to be able to run this.

Offline Vala

• :smork:
    • Vala Supply
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 20:18:02 »
Inverse looking dangerously clean :eek:

Offline hardreturn

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 21:57:07 »
would very much like this

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 00:08:14 »
It's like typing on my childhood! Love it.

Offline Poet_Li

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 00:23:37 »
Could you add R3 2U Backspace in 40s kit?

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 00:47:53 »
Why not split alphas and mods like all the other KAT and KAM sets are doing? I like being able to purchase exactly what I want, no more no less.

Offline guill3m

• Shut up and take my money
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 00:56:15 »
Yes, I need this.

Edit:

Please consider moving the Alice B to Base. This would allow someone to buy the Forties kit instead of spacebars for wider support (or just use Shifts for spacebars for the more budget minded). As it stands right now someone wanting 40s and Alice support would need to buy the spacebars kit solely for the extra "B" key as the necessary spacebars for Alice are also present in the Forties kit. With KAT's MOQ system, the Forties kit canibalising the sales of the spacebars kit should not be an issue as it will be made anyway regardless if it sells 3 or 300 assuming the global MOQ is reached.

The Spacebars kit could also benefit from having two 3u spacebars for Type K, and a 1u spacebar (together with those 3u) for 7u split spacebar.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2021, 05:28:23 by guill3m »

Offline xmaviik

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 06:22:18 »
ISO-PT would be cool to support ;)

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 07:21:26 »
Why not split alphas and mods like all the other KAT and KAM sets are doing? I like being able to purchase exactly what I want, no more no less.

Looking at the numbers for previous GBs it should actually be cheapest for the average buyer this way.

If we have separate alphas and mods, a 40% user would only need alphas + 40%. But the 40% kit would end up being quite a bit bigger to include necessary keys currently available in the base kit (bottom row keys, shifts, etc). This means that people who want to buy kits for 60%+ and 40% support would actually end up with a ton of duplicate keys. Based on previous GB numbers a pretty big majority of 40% buyers usually buy 60%+ support too, so these kits make it cheapest for these users.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 07:27:58 »

the bleed on milkshake looks bad. there's also the lack of communications with macsurfy for KAT refined. he's heard nothing for months and set appears to be stalled. i'm not at all optimistic. doc, i'm a fan of your work. i'm just not convinced KAT is the optimal choice atm. if anyone has different information i would love to hear it.

I'm willing to give a company a chance if they are trying to change production to better their product; however, the lack of communication is what is concerning to me. Additionally, if they have been communication with you for this keyset but ghosting mac - that's even more concerning to me.

I love this set and I'm all in for test base, accents, and inverse - I just hope it actually gets to the point where we can confidently say they're going to be able to run this.

All my communication has been through zFrontier, not Keyreative directly.

Regardless, for the quality/wait time/communication concerns we have some potential solutions. One of those (not confirmed yet btw) is to run this as an in-stock set rather than a traditional GB.

Offline radar

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 08:33:26 »
The project looks great!  I'm very interested, and curious if a R4 delete key can be added to the base kits?

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 10:51:55 »
Yeah I like this. Inverse kit is 🔥 and thank you for Colemak support! (even though it's only in light, not dark, will still buy)
Seconding request for renders with inverse alphas and some accent mods :D

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 13:19:47 »

All my communication has been through zFrontier, not Keyreative directly.

Regardless, for the quality/wait time/communication concerns we have some potential solutions. One of those (not confirmed yet btw) is to run this as an in-stock set rather than a traditional GB.

For the quality concerns, in-stock set does not help too much. I got Kitty KAT from in-stock drop and my 7u spacebar is unusable (due to it's dark 5-side dye-sub process?), and submitted the claim form which has not received any response or replacement after 3 months as of today, where I cannot use the set on most of my boards :( Hope we can have better QC to catch those no matter it's GB or in-stock.

Offline g_hack_it

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 08:11:14 »
Really wish this had an f-row with media legends to match current apple boards. Otherwise I love pretty much everything about it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Offline harlekein

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 08:19:36 »

Based on previous GB numbers a pretty big majority of 40% buyers usually buy 60%+ support too, so these kits make it cheapest for these users.

Quite surprising and if this is the case, then I understand your decision.

But as an ortho user, this is just a hard pass for me. There's just no way I'm buying base kit + forties + forties accent + colevrak when other KAT offerings had alphas + ortho with accents included. GL.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 June 2021, 08:21:27 by harlekein »

Offline Lexmor

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 13:36:18 »
Any chance for a south kit?

Offline asciisii

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 14:13:46 »
Will watch cautiously as it is KAT, but I am interested. Personally don't mind this kitting

Offline dvdrl

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 16:00:51 »
Wow, this looks amazing! I will buy the set no matter how long it will take Keyrative to ship it.

Would it be possible to also include a 1u R2 ctrl into the fourties kit? That would be convenient for orthos.
If you worry about having to include too many keys into that kit, offering both a fourties kit and an ortho mod kit could be an option. Thanks for considering.

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 17:11:29 »
Will this be double shot PBT or dye-sub?

Offline honorless

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 18:44:09 »

Looking at the numbers for previous GBs it should actually be cheapest for the average buyer this way.

If we have separate alphas and mods, a 40% user would only need alphas + 40%. But the 40% kit would end up being quite a bit bigger to include necessary keys currently available in the base kit (bottom row keys, shifts, etc). This means that people who want to buy kits for 60%+ and 40% support would actually end up with a ton of duplicate keys. Based on previous GB numbers a pretty big majority of 40% buyers usually buy 60%+ support too, so these kits make it cheapest for these users.

I'd like to know what statistics or group buys you're examining to draw this conclusion. It's important because the vast majority of "ortho/40s" kits cannot actually support staggered 40s, which forces the purchase of 60+% mods.
Well, yeah—if I have to buy 60+% mods to actually use the set at all, I'm either going to buy them and consider that the cost of entry, or just pass because all in it's too expensive. Just recently I ended up passing on the 40s kit for SA Ramses because after adding in the TKL mods that were required, it was just way too much for a bunch of keys I'd never use.

Forcing ortho users in particular into an entire set of TKL staggered mods is particularly crappy as they won't use the vast majority of these keys. (Even more of those keys will go unused if they're not QWERTY users or use international layouts...)

There are reasons it's so common to separate alphas and mods when the manufacturer/MOQ system allows this. I would urge you to at the very least poll prospective Oblique buyers specifically about the separation of alphas and mods in your IC form.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 19:40:19 »
I'm easily in for both the Light and Inverse colors. This seems like a slam dunk of a set.
I so sincerely hope it become a real thing.  :thumb:
A-a-ron

Offline bobtheguitar

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 19:44:33 »
Really wish this had an f-row with media legends to match current apple boards. Otherwise I love pretty much everything about it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
That would be :thumb:

Offline yotasan

• ARCANE - PHOTOGRAPHY ARCHIVE
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 20:16:15 »
Holy crap I need this.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 20:19:09 »

I'd like to know what statistics or group buys you're examining to draw this conclusion. It's important because the vast majority of "ortho/40s" kits cannot actually support staggered 40s, which forces the purchase of 60+% mods.
Well, yeah—if I have to buy 60+% mods to actually use the set at all, I'm either going to buy them and consider that the cost of entry, or just pass because all in it's too expensive. Just recently I ended up passing on the 40s kit for SA Ramses because after adding in the TKL mods that were required, it was just way too much for a bunch of keys I'd never use.

Forcing ortho users in particular into an entire set of TKL staggered mods is particularly crappy as they won't use the vast majority of these keys. (Even more of those keys will go unused if they're not QWERTY users or use international layouts...)

There are reasons it's so common to separate alphas and mods when the manufacturer/MOQ system allows this. I would urge you to at the very least poll prospective Oblique buyers specifically about the separation of alphas and mods in your IC form.

I'll rerun the numbers on this to make sure. I think a lot of people (myself included) generally buy support for multiple layouts so that when a keyset arrives it can be used on whichever board I decide at the time. Regardless, these are still provisional kit layouts so nothing is set in stone.

Since this might end up becoming an in-stock set rather than a GB I will need try to keep the number of kits to a minimum though. I might even have to cut or combine some of the current kits so that the vendors aren't taking too much risk with predicting sales of the child kits. No vendor wants to have a ton of alphas left but no mods or vice-versa. I'll try to see what I can do about optimizing kit layouts for 40%/colevrak users though.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 00:00:46 »
I'm one who often buys 40s kits just in case. And because I have no idea what keyboard I'll be using in a year or two when the set actually ships. :D

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 19:03:49 »

I'll rerun the numbers on this to make sure. I think a lot of people (myself included) generally buy support for multiple layouts so that when a keyset arrives it can be used on whichever board I decide at the time. Regardless, these are still provisional kit layouts so nothing is set in stone.

Since this might end up becoming an in-stock set rather than a GB I will need try to keep the number of kits to a minimum though. I might even have to cut or combine some of the current kits so that the vendors aren't taking too much risk with predicting sales of the child kits. No vendor wants to have a ton of alphas left but no mods or vice-versa. I'll try to see what I can do about optimizing kit layouts for 40%/colevrak users though.

please no ritual sacrifice of ergo kit

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 22:11:19 »
I am a simple man. I see AEK legends, I buy

KAT definitely has some growing pains but I think it's worth it here, as long as proper QC can be assured. Delays are one thing, but unusable 7U spacebars are completely unacceptable.

Offline MrMar

• Instagram
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 02:18:25 »
Very in.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 22:17:16 »
Considering that KAT's MOQ is based upon keys sold and not the total number of sets sold, I absolutely do not understand why alphas aren't split from the mods and why there's no chance to bring Katakana sublegends back.

HARD PASS for me

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 07:24:15 »
Another ortho + colevrak user here. Was excited to see this IC but it's currently a pass with the proposed kit structure.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 10:44:11 »
I don't understand why the Ortho and colverak options were removed. Keyreative only counts total kits, not moq of individual kits. Sigh.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 11:07:41 »
Really interesting for me. Please separate the alphas from the mods so that people can mix and match as they wish. Generally I understand that it is easier to see the coverage / identify keys but hopefully the final kitting will be different.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 11:13:51 »

Since this might end up becoming an in-stock set rather than a GB I will need try to keep the number of kits to a minimum though.

One easy way to reduce number of kits is to add accents to the mod kits.

Offline Klackygears

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 14:14:39 »
Oh man, if the 40's / ortho kits are still going to be made, this is a for sure buy for me. Without that support though, it won't work for me. :-(