Poll

Which colorway do you prefer (and would buy in a GB)?

Delta Blues (Black based SoWaRe)
47 (61%)
Heavenly Blues (White based SoWaRe)
13 (16.9%)
Triumph-Adler (White base with BDG mods)
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: [GB] Delta Blues - Alps DCS keyset from SP - GB in now live on PMK  (Read 77422 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Re: [GB] Delta Blues - Alps DCS keyset from SP - GB in now live on PMK
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 23:39:39 »
Just joined for modifiers and iso-kits, spacebars will be available here later? :) (and will they be available in white?)

I will chat with Matias to see how they want to move with the space bars: either wait and see if this GB goes through, or just get them ordered soon as people will probably want them either way.  Oh, and yes, they have them in black and white: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65194.msg1525507#msg1525507

We have the actual Spacebars in stock already (6.25u and 7u, black and white).  We're just waiting on the balance bars.

Nice!

Yep.  Can confirm.  I bought some white & black 6.25 spacebars, and they fit my V60 MTS perfectly.

Really glad to know that these balance bars will be available soon.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 10:07:59 »
Hey Badwrench, do you know if these are the right size for a Matias keyboard? I'm thinking about selling my Chicony 5161 and replacing it with a Matias Click.

I am not sure 100% if the stabilized modifiers will work (maybe Matias can chime in?).  The only image I could find of a Quiet Click Pro showed the mods using Alps stabilizers:
Show Image

Without having that board, I cannot be sure that they will work.  I still believe that with some tinkering of a costar insert and the correct bending of the Matias wire, that it can be made to work (again, untested other that playing with my Chicony caps on an At101, but that was only for clearance of the insert to the board as I had sold the stock wires with the caps). 

See my earlier post...

They'll work with all ALPS keyboards as long as you have the correct size stabilizer wire ("balance bar").

SP doesn't stock those, so we'll be making them available.  I've been knee-deep in balance bar samples this week, and will be bringing them back with me (from China) early next month.

Nice photo BTW.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 00:23:37 »
I'm only seeing the Alphas and HHKB kits on the main GB page. I can only access the modifiers and other kits through the links in the OP.

Tried it in 3 browsers before I realized you have to be logged in to see all the child deals from the main page.  Otherwise it's still only showing the single HHKB kit.  :mad:

Okay THIS time everything is up and you don't have to be logged in.  Everyone go!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 15:22:09 »
Hey Badwrench, do you know if these are the right size for a Matias keyboard? I'm thinking about selling my Chicony 5161 and replacing it with a Matias Click.

I am not sure 100% if the stabilized modifiers will work (maybe Matias can chime in?).  The only image I could find of a Quiet Click Pro showed the mods using Alps stabilizers:
Show Image

Without having that board, I cannot be sure that they will work.  I still believe that with some tinkering of a costar insert and the correct bending of the Matias wire, that it can be made to work (again, untested other that playing with my Chicony caps on an At101, but that was only for clearance of the insert to the board as I had sold the stock wires with the caps). 

See my earlier post...

They'll work with all ALPS keyboards as long as you have the correct size stabilizer wire ("balance bar").

SP doesn't stock those, so we'll be making them available.  I've been knee-deep in balance bar samples this week, and will be bringing them back with me (from China) early next month.

Nice photo BTW.

Sorry, missed that one on Tapatalk.  Great to hear though.  Also, the photo was just one I found on google. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:49:34 »
Quick bump.  This is still live!  I know there are alps lovers like myself out there that want to see this happen and open the door for future custom alps keysets. 

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:43:01 »
Quick bump.  This is still live!  I know there are alps lovers like myself out there that want to see this happen and open the door for future custom alps keysets.

I'm a little apprehensive.  What happened to everybody? I would buy in, but I don't think I can afford this unless it pushes past the first price point.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:49:06 »
[What happened to everybody?

I've had serious financial changes since I commented on the [IC] so I'm very sorry to say I'm letting this one slide.

I do hope some people buy in ... maybe in a year I can look to the classifieds to get a set.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 16:29:36 »
It’s basically a big chicken-and-egg problem. MOQs / decent price points on Alps keycaps are hard to hit, because not too many people are looking for aftermarket Alps keycaps, because most of the people who care about colorful aftermarket keycaps use MX boards, because that’s where the colorful keycaps are. Very hard to outcompete that without more ecosystem of Alps parts.

Additionally, there’s a problem where most people with 20-year-old Alps keyboards or new Matias keyboards can’t use SP’s stabilized keycaps. There are only a few boards that can totally use the caps from this particular group buy, and they’re in relatively short supply, which makes it hard for very many people to commit here. Even most of the old keyboards (from Chicony, Monterey, Datacomp, etc.) that would accept the stabilized caps here have bigass enter keys, so still can’t be 100% swapped.

So the main market here for complete cap replacement is either people with MassDrop’s infinity board, or else people who are building new boards from scratch and cutting their own plates. This is a tiny group.

Alternately, there might people with other Alps boards who want to replace the unstabilized keycaps with these, and find stabilized keycaps somewhere else... Which means they need to match the color scheme with their existing keycaps. Some folks are probably happy with black-on-beige/gray modifiers and blue-on-black alphas, but that’s a fairly niche preference, I’m guessing.

Matias’s upcoming 60% board, as well as all MassDrop-made boards after another couple months (like Ergodoxes and Infinity keyboards etc.) should have stabilizers compatible with both types of Alps keycaps, so that should help somewhat to increase the number of people who could use SP Alps caps.

Beyond that, I think it would probably work better to start with buys for color schemes with a bit broader appeal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 February 2015, 16:31:21 by jacobolus »

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 01:10:20 »
I see now that the Infinity got updated with a standard plate, I wish I saw that!  I need 60% homes for my blue and green switches, so I'll have to get one or two when they come on sale next.

Even though I'm not crazy about SP's DCS or thin ABS, I'm considering getting in on this buy for a future Infinity board.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #309 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:15:01 »
It’s basically a big chicken-and-egg problem. MOQs / decent price points on Alps keycaps are hard to hit, because not too many people are looking for aftermarket Alps keycaps, because most of the people who care about colorful aftermarket keycaps use MX boards, because that’s where the colorful keycaps are. Very hard to outcompete that without more ecosystem of Alps parts.

Additionally, there’s a problem where most people with 20-year-old Alps keyboards or new Matias keyboards can’t use SP’s stabilized keycaps. There are only a few boards that can totally use the caps from this particular group buy, and they’re in relatively short supply, which makes it hard for very many people to commit here. Even most of the old keyboards (from Chicony, Monterey, Datacomp, etc.) that would accept the stabilized caps here have bigass enter keys, so still can’t be 100% swapped.

So the main market here for complete cap replacement is either people with MassDrop’s infinity board, or else people who are building new boards from scratch and cutting their own plates. This is a tiny group.

Alternately, there might people with other Alps boards who want to replace the unstabilized keycaps with these, and find stabilized keycaps somewhere else... Which means they need to match the color scheme with their existing keycaps. Some folks are probably happy with black-on-beige/gray modifiers and blue-on-black alphas, but that’s a fairly niche preference, I’m guessing.

Matias’s upcoming 60% board, as well as all MassDrop-made boards after another couple months (like Ergodoxes and Infinity keyboards etc.) should have stabilizers compatible with both types of Alps keycaps, so that should help somewhat to increase the number of people who could use SP Alps caps.

Beyond that, I think it would probably work better to start with buys for color schemes with a bit broader appeal.

I wonder if we could just request some Alps-mount blanks in a solid color scheme and take it from there, to drive down price and open up flexible layout options.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:30:22 »
Can we do a PBT dye sub set or send it out to someone to get it dyesubbed if this doesn't go through?  I think the prices at $25 is really what does it for people.  Since PMK doesn't have something like massdrop with commits at different price points, getting people hit that 25 can be really difficult and it doesn't start to gain steam until after you hit it.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:38:40 »
A couple months ago SP couldn’t do dyesub Alps caps, they said. But maybe they can by now. (I think they were maybe working on it.)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:39:08 »
Kinda feels like the PMK site isn't really doing us any favors either. Buy was up for three days before the child kits were up. Then you need to be logged in to see everything but I've heard that some people have to change their passwords *every time* they log into PMK. Then they hold the price at $170 so I have to have that amount held first? Such a PITA.

And ugh PBT dye sub? I'd be out for that.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:25:40 »
Kinda feels like the PMK site isn't really doing us any favors either. Buy was up for three days before the child kits were up. Then you need to be logged in to see everything but I've heard that some people have to change their passwords *every time* they log into PMK. Then they hold the price at $170 so I have to have that amount held first? Such a PITA.

And ugh PBT dye sub? I'd be out for that.
I agree.  It is a tough situation with the pricing and as most people that have been in a gb or 2 buying early only helps things to get rolling by attracting those on the fence with lower prices. 

I knew from the beginning that this qould be a tough gb, but if it doesnt go through, i already have ideas for my next try to help the set to appeal to more people.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 14:23:35 »
It seems real tough to get the numbers indeed. I'm in for alphas, mods and iso, but I thought I only have to pay when the tipping points is reached? In checkout I only can pay directly via Paypal.. never ordered from PMK before.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 14:59:14 »
It seems real tough to get the numbers indeed. I'm in for alphas, mods and iso, but I thought I only have to pay when the tipping points is reached? In checkout I only can pay directly via Paypal.. never ordered from PMK before.

It just authorizes the payment. It won't be charged until the deal ends. If it doesn't tip, you don't get charged.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #316 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:33:52 »
I'm not sure if this has been stated earlier in the thread, but I think that most of us that desire Alps-mount sets are going to use them on a TKL or smaller custom board, rather than slap these on an old Omnikey or Dell AT101.  We have a prolific amount of plates and PCBs that are compatible with Alps switches, but the lingering problem is key caps.  In fact, I was going to buy a Planck keyboard with Alps/Matias plate, but I'm going with a Cherry plate because I don't know where I will find the right amount of keycaps without pilfering at least a couple old boards and the uncertainty of this group buy.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is an Alps keycap group buy that starts with a basically 60% or TKL set, then has child sets from there might be the best to go for the next attempt at an Alps-mount keycap group buy.  This group buy is just way more than I am willing to pay.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:01:19 »
I think that most of us that desire Alps-mount sets are going to use them on a TKL or smaller custom board, [...] We have a prolific amount of plates and PCBs that are compatible with Alps switches
Which TKL-or-smaller plates and PCBs do you have that support Alps switches with MX-style stabilizers? Or by custom do you mean you’re making it yourself?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:33:05 »
I think that most of us that desire Alps-mount sets are going to use them on a TKL or smaller custom board, [...] We have a prolific amount of plates and PCBs that are compatible with Alps switches
Which TKL-or-smaller plates and PCBs do you have that support Alps switches with MX-style stabilizers? Or by custom do you mean you’re making it yourself?

The use of the word "prolific" was a little hyperbolic.  Now the MX style stabilizers was something that slipped my mind.  Not sure.

1. Samwise is doing that interest check for his very versatile 60%:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67815.0

2. The Massdrop Infiniti is Alps compatible, right?  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit

3. There is the the Kingsaver floating around.

4. Jackhumbert is offering a Matias/Alps plate for his Planck keyboard:  http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/planck-top-plate-mit-matias

5. I'm sure a few people would like some custom caps on their Keyboard Paradise V60. http://www.kbp.com.tw/product.html

6. Many of the ergo boards are slated to carry Matias switches, and maybe people would like custom keycaps for those.  Keyboardio and Acidfire's board (I thought he mentioned a preference for using Matias).

That's all I can name off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:39:56 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:37:26 »
given the variety of modifier sizes in alps keyboards, i really wish the tsangan kit was just part of the modifiers because i am having doubts the tsangan kit will make it through the MOQ.

an example would be an obvious one, the Matias tactile pro. but other winkeyless boards out there as well. you could have at least offer blanks, it doesnt take much to offer blanks with PMK, i really dont know why there was opposition to offering them.

i also wish this included the "Big Ass Enter" key that many alps boards have, and you can't say SP doesnt make those because they do, i have gotten more than one big ass enter key in the crap bags, in doubleshot.

sorry i missed the original discussion on this.

oh well, thanks for at least making this finally happen, hope it works out

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #320 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:40:51 »
   > 1. Samwise is doing that interest check for his very versatile 60%:
   > https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67815.0

Needs a plate

> 2. The Massdrop Infiniti is Alps compatible, right?
   > https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit

Yep, as I said these could use this buy. But there aren’t too many people who bought one with an intent to use Alps caps and didn’t buy caps with it. Future runs should help, as from what I understand they’ll support both MX- and Alps-style stabilized keys

> 3. There is the the Kingsaver floating around.

Stabilized keys from this buy won’t work, and the backspace, backslash, enter, and right shift are the wrong size anyway.

> 4. Jackhumbert is offering a Matias/Alps plate for his Planck keyboard:
   > http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/planck-top-plate-mit-matias

Tiny niche product, with no pictures of the Alps version anywhere.

> 5. I'm sure a few people would like some custom caps on their Keyboard Paradise V60.

Stabilized keys from this buy won’t work on it.

> 6. Many of the ergo boards are slated to carry Matias switches, [...]
   > Keyboardio and Acidfire's board

Months away from shipping, and the keyboard.io board uses all custom shaped caps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:45:48 by jacobolus »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #321 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:14:01 »
   > 1. Samwise is doing that interest check for his very versatile 60%:
   > https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67815.0

Needs a plate

> 2. The Massdrop Infiniti is Alps compatible, right?
   > https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-keyboard-kit

Yep, as I said these could use this buy. But there aren’t too many people who bought one with an intent to use Alps caps and didn’t buy caps with it. Future runs should help, as from what I understand they’ll support both MX- and Alps-style stabilized keys

> 3. There is the the Kingsaver floating around.

Stabilized keys from this buy won’t work, and the backspace, backslash, enter, and right shift are the wrong size anyway.

> 4. Jackhumbert is offering a Matias/Alps plate for his Planck keyboard:
   > http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/planck-top-plate-mit-matias

Tiny niche product, with no pictures of the Alps version anywhere.

> 5. I'm sure a few people would like some custom caps on their Keyboard Paradise V60.

Stabilized keys from this buy won’t work on it.

> 6. Many of the ergo boards are slated to carry Matias switches, [...]
   > Keyboardio and Acidfire's board

Months away from shipping, and the keyboard.io board uses all custom shaped caps.

Reality bites.  But you gotta believe.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:36:52 »
The SD-60 and JD45 would be great for a start. Yes, each would require a plate to be designed, but I can literally do that in about half an hour.

The JD45 layout is mostly fixed, with the only options being whether to have a 6.0-unit spacebar on the bottom row, or the two 1.75-unit keys along with the complement of other 1.25- and 1.0-unit keys there.

The SD-60 on the other hand, has options for some of the modifiers, while the Alps bottom row is fixed. Again, for me to design an Alps plate would be trivial.

I had also planned on making a standard ANSI 87-key Alps TKL keyboard, with an aluminum housing and all, but the keycaps were the only thing holding up the project. There was quite a bit of interest shown in that project, but SP kept dragging their feet on the keycaps front.

Now that SP is ready to move with keycaps, it would be a great time to revive that TKL project. If the base set for this GB was pared down to a standard 87-key ANSI set, it would work with both the SD-60 and that planned TKL. But it may be a bit too much, asking people to buy keycaps before a new keyboard design is even completed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #323 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:39:14 »
I had also planned on making a standard ANSI 87-key Alps TKL keyboard, with an aluminum housing and all, but the keycaps were the only thing holding up the project.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahem.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:49:02 »
I had also planned on making a standard ANSI 87-key Alps TKL keyboard, with an aluminum housing and all, but the keycaps were the only thing holding up the project.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahem.

You up for designing the alu case, bro?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #325 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 20:30:23 »
so really the motivation for this is aimed at new alps/matias custom projects and not really existing alps keyboards.

i can sort of dig that if that is the case.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 21:54:19 »
some people have to change their passwords *every time* they log into PMK.

This is why I've been avoiding jumping on this GB.   :-[

As lazy as it may sound, it's just a huge annoyance to have to do this *every* time I want to do anything on the site.  Ugh.  Currently waiting for the reset email to be able to join this....   :rolleyes:

(and to be clear, I have contacted Melissa and she is very responsive and hopefully it will be resolved soon - just venting ;) )

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #327 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 22:26:46 »

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahem.

I would like a winkeyless ALPS TKL.  Will definitely be interested as long as it's not a low-profile case.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #328 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 22:51:19 »

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahem.

I would like a winkeyless ALPS TKL.  Will definitely be interested as long as it's not a low-profile case.

This isn't the thread for discussion, let me direct you here. :D

in memoriam

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 23:06:17 »

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahem.

This isn't the thread for discussion, let me direct you here. :D

Thanks  :)  Can't believe I haven't seen that thread.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #330 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 07:19:43 »
so really the motivation for this is aimed at new alps/matias custom projects and not really existing alps keyboards.

I don't think that was the original motivation for this group buy.  But, in my view, in order to attract the most interest, a group buy focused on providing for Alps/Matias projects with the base set rather than a typical 104-key board might be worth consideration.  Because it seems access to keycaps is holding back the development of some custom Alps/Matias projects.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #331 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:51:20 »

I don't think that was the original motivation for this group buy.  But, in my view, in order to attract the most interest, a group buy focused on providing for Alps/Matias projects with the base set rather than a typical 104-key board might be worth consideration.  Because it seems access to keycaps is holding back the development of some custom Alps/Matias projects.
It was actually a little of both.  I was interested in providing the most usefull set (by adding a few of the oddball keys for some older boards) and the ability for those of us tjat want to do something custom a full set of caps so that there were no limitations.  However, hindsight being 20/20, I would have bundled the tsangan kit with the base mods. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #332 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:33:42 »
Only 10 sets purchased so far?

Are there that few ALPS users? The Matias based 60% did not do well at MD also and all those ardent admirers posting at threads about Matias stuff are misleading. I cannot understand it.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:15:17 »
Only 10 sets purchased so far? Are there that few ALPS users? The Matias based 60% did not do well at MD also and all those ardent admirers posting at threads about Matias stuff are misleading. I cannot understand it.
Well, I’m personally the wrong person to ask, since I have about 30 Alps-mount keyboards, so I don’t need any extra keycaps (except those new Matias 1.5x2.5 spacebars, those are hot), and most of what I want to build uses totally non-standard keycap arrangements making the stabilized keys somewhat useless to me.

But as I said before, my guess is that the problem is a combination of high price at early tiers, difficulty using the stabilized keycaps on most existing boards, niche-preference color scheme, and lack of custom keyboards that might use these caps. Relatively easy availability of used keyboards from ebay probably doesn't help. It’s much easier and cheaper to find used Alps-mount dyesubs than MX-mount dyesubs, for example.

I wonder if SP could make PBT DCS-profile Alps-mount blanks, in 3–4 colors. I think those might have an easier time selling.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #334 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:17:58 »
Only 10 sets purchased so far? Are there that few ALPS users? The Matias based 60% did not do well at MD also and all those ardent admirers posting at threads about Matias stuff are misleading. I cannot understand it.
Well, I�m personally the wrong person to ask, since I have about 30 Alps-mount keyboards, so I don�t need any extra keycaps (except those new Matias 1.5x2.5 spacebars, those are hot), and most of what I want to build uses totally non-standard keycap arrangements making the stabilized keys somewhat useless to me.

But as I said before, my guess is that the problem is a combination of high price at early tiers, difficulty using the stabilized keycaps on most existing boards, niche-preference color scheme, and lack of custom keyboards that might use these caps. Relatively easy availability of used keyboards from ebay probably doesn't help. It�s much easier and cheaper to find used Alps-mount dyesubs than MX-mount dyesubs, for example.

I wonder if SP could make PBT DCS-profile Alps-mount blanks, in 3�4 colors. I think those might have an easier time selling.

Making sense as always pal. Jaco^2...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #335 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:21:45 »
I know for me personally, its just bad timing. There are just too many GBs going on right now that I'm in. :(

Maybe when we get the new Alps TKL keyboard ready for a GB, we can run a matching set of keycaps at the same time.

in memoriam

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #336 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 16:56:16 »

It was actually a little of both.  I was interested in providing the most usefull set (by adding a few of the oddball keys for some older boards) and the ability for those of us tjat want to do something custom a full set of caps so that there were no limitations.  However, hindsight being 20/20, I would have bundled the tsangan kit with the base mods.

Sorry, I'm making assumptions, which I'm trying to do less of.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:00:47 »

I wonder if SP could make PBT DCS-profile Alps-mount blanks, in 3–4 colors. I think those might have an easier time selling.

Me, too.  Eliminate the added cost of printing of keycaps, and see if more people would be interested.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #338 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:05:51 »

I wonder if SP could make PBT DCS-profile Alps-mount blanks, in 3�4 colors. I think those might have an easier time selling.

Me, too.  Eliminate the added cost of printing of keycaps, and see if more people would be interested.

Just from my own perspective, I really like double shot abs, even thin DCS profile. I would never go for blanks, or pbt for that matter.

in memoriam

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #339 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:10:10 »
I have no use for blanks. I can touch type without a problem, but I like having legends. I doubt having blank sets would sell much better than otherwise, since it seems intended for a niche group.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 22:43:23 »
Well, we are up to 12 orders on the base alphas and 11 on the base mods.  Still 7 days left, so I still have hope, but at the same time, it is gonna be pricey under the 50 unit mark, so a little bit of mixed feelings. 

Offline Applet

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 04:30:05 »
Currently, I'm the only one buying the ISO-kit which is sad. I can deal without it, but would really prefer having it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 07:27:05 »

Just from my own perspective, I really like double shot abs, even thin DCS profile. I would never go for blanks, or pbt for that matter.

Double shot abs are very nice. I also prefer them.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #343 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 08:12:48 »
Too many GBs going at once. All my money is tied up in Hack'd By Geeks and Hyperfuse. Also, there is Miami Twice going on, and the 1976 GB just started. :(

in memoriam

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 08:15:26 »
Too many GBs going at once. All my money is tied up in Hack'd By Geeks and Hyperfuse. Also, there is Miami Twice going on, and the 1976 GB just started. :(

This market is small, so small, that the already tired wallets felt all abused, when they were almost recovered from the holidays all these tempting sets start to teasing them, one more time.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #345 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 12:06:28 »
Yup.  Pretty much exactly this.  I will try again with a new IC for hopefully a more popular colorway.   

Guess my Infinity is getting some chicony caps for now and a cut down big ass enter

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #346 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 13:18:13 »
Yup.  Pretty much exactly this.  I will try again with a new IC for hopefully a more popular colorway.   

*whispers* k l a x o n. . .  ;)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 14:45:18 »
Guess my Infinity is getting some chicony caps for now and a cut down big ass enter
Seriously, go find an Apple AEK II for $20–40 shipped. Best Alps keycap deal around.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #348 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 14:58:12 »
Actually, I bet I have some Apple AEK II caps you can just have for free, Badwrench.

in memoriam

Offline geniekid

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 15:19:42 »
Seriously, go find an Apple AEK II for $20–40 shipped. Best Alps keycap deal around.

The Infinity doesn't support a full R-shift or the bottom row of an AEK.  I think Badwrench should be forced to type on bare switches until he starts up the next IC ;)