Author Topic: KBDfans Ergodone  (Read 12286 times)

Offline Targa-TV

KBDfans Ergodone
« on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 12:16:32 »
Holy hell.

https://goo.gl/1dmRNf

Also, I have some questions
Ergodone? lol
What on earth are the leds doing up there? Won't they be covered by the case?
Pro Micro instead of Teensy, will there be any issues at firmware level?
They use the MCP23017-E/SP instead of the 18. I wondered about that too since the 18 is harder to find but it seems like the people who asked about it in DT reddit and here were mostly ignored. Is there any chance that the 17 will cause any issues?

NB: I'm not a programmer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:46:43 by Targa-TV »
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline pr0ximity

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Targa-TV

Re: KBDfans Ergodone
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 13:14:38 »
I thought it was brand new and didn't bother to look for the tags. Thanks.  :thumb:

I'll wait for more community feedbacks. I'm in no rush.

Offline need

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 14:32:03 »
I have these myself, and they work wonderfully. To programme it, design your layout with keyboard layout editor and copy the raw data to the TKG keymapping GUI. It's pretty intuitive. The 3 LEDS do the same as the LEDS on normal keyboards, indicating whether caps lock is on or not etc. If you use clear acrylic for the case, lights will show through.

Another note - these are aimed to be an improved version of the original ergodox. Namely, the controller is on the left side rather than right like the original ergodox. So you can use the left hand on its own while gaming, which saves you some desk space

Also in order to flash a new keymap, all you have to do is hold a key while plugging in the usb cable. The original ergodox and even the infinity ergodox require you to open up the case in order to press the flashing/reset botton. And ergodox's cases take quite a while to open and reassemble, given the amount of screws
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 14:34:43 by need »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 15:26:54 »
Isn't that a ergodox

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:46:26 »
I have these myself, and they work wonderfully. To programme it, design your layout with keyboard layout editor and copy the raw data to the TKG keymapping GUI. It's pretty intuitive. The 3 LEDS do the same as the LEDS on normal keyboards, indicating whether caps lock is on or not etc. If you use clear acrylic for the case, lights will show through.

Thank you for the detailed reply. I had no idea this TKG firmware existed.  :thumb:

Offline Phenix

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 05:38:28 »
re flashing: my OG dox has an small whole over the reflash button.. no neer for opening up. btw: use QMK, there is a RESET command.
Winter is coming.

Offline need

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 08:03:07 »
re flashing: my OG dox has an small whole over the reflash button.. no neer for opening up. btw: use QMK, there is a RESET command.

Oh, thanks for the correction. A case without the hole is more elegant though.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 08:07:15 »
a bit - the hole isnt that noticeable.
Else use QMK and use the RESET key function.
Winter is coming.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 13:54:04 »
Speaking of holes ... This PCB design does not have the holes that were intended for standoffs.
That alone means that it does not fit every existing ErgoDox case, such as the CNC'd wood or PVC cases from Falbatech.

Having the Pro Micro  - and the USB port - on the left side is a minor nuisance
. The PCB is still reversible, so you could mount the Pro Micro on the right side upside-down.

Pro Micro instead of Teensy, will there be any issues at firmware level?
Yes. The ErgoDox with Teensy uses pins on the ATmega32u4 that the ProMicro does not have available, so it is not possible to make a ProMicro-version of the ErgoDox that is compatible with existing ErgoDox firmware.

(I have actually looked into designing a keyboard that was supposed to be be ErgoDox-firmware compatible and support the ProMicro - that is why I know ...)
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 May 2017, 14:14:47 by Findecanor »

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 14:55:47 »
Speaking of holes ... This PCB design does not have the holes that were intended for standoffs.
That alone means that it does not fit every existing ErgoDox case, such as the CNC'd wood or PVC cases from Falbatech.
Having the Pro Micro  - and the USB port - on the left side is a minor nuisance
. The PCB is still reversible, so you could mount the Pro Micro on the right side upside-down.
The ErgoDox with Teensy uses pins on the ATmega32u4 that the ProMicro does not have available, so it is not possible to make a ProMicro-version of the ErgoDox that is compatible with existing ErgoDox firmware.
(I have actually looked into designing a keyboard that was supposed to be be ErgoDox-firmware compatible and support the ProMicro - that is why I know ...)

I'm already saving for Falbatech but now I'm even more glad I'm going for the original Dox...

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 15:16:04 »

The original ergodox didn't have a hole there, MD added it after the second run.

I think there are enough pins for a pro micro if you are willing to modify the PCB or hand wire it up directly.

Offline rflah

• My GitHub
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 13:17:55 »
I bought two of the PCBs and modified Litster's cases.
You can find them at my github:
https://github.com/HalFrgrd/ErgoDoneCase