Author Topic: [IC] DSA Vegas Nights - 60% COMPAT KIT ADDED! REVAMPING TIMELINE!  (Read 24569 times)

Offline Hedgey

Hello all!

My first topic post here on GH and I hope to bring a new colorway to the hobby, specifically geared towards 40%, 50%, and Ortholinear users. 

UPDATE 11/15/19

I am revamping the timeline for this set and it will be happening sooner rather than later.  Hope to have more concrete answers in a week or so.

UPDATE 07/01/19

The people have spoken, and I have added a 60% Compatibility kit!  This is as much as I will add at this point, and unless there is some major conflict, this should cover everything 60% and below!!!  I hope you all are ready for an awesome GB in mid August. 

Also if anyone knows of an EU vendor willing to step up, please PM me so we can make this a reality for those of you across the pond!!

About

Ortho users and specifically 40% staggered users miss out on tons of great keysets due to crazy MOQs for a few additional keys.  (Note I'm not blaming designers specifically and I understand with GMK sets the MOQs are really high to begin with.)  I thought I'd try and change it up a little bit with some inspiration from other users who have recently put forth the effort to get more compatibility for those of us with small keyboards. 

As such I am proud to introduce DSA Vegas Nights:

Please fill out the IC Form:

https://forms.gle/u68jv9ZawMGyY6P36

BASE KIT

60% COMPATIBILITY KIT

NEW BOARD RENDERS AND NOVELTIES - HUGE SHOUTOUT TO ABEC13 AND ONECREATIVEMIND!!

https://imgur.com/a/PXw3fEA

Inspired by other keysets with night themes, I felt Vegas with it's flashy neon was really left out of the picture.  Vegas inspires hope, luck, and big winnings, and is a perfect inspiration for a sweet keyset with a gradient to match!  With 101 total keys, this should be able to cover the following boards:

Planck, Preonic, AMJ40, Daisy, Chicory, JD40, JD45, Minivan, Vortex Core, Pearl, UT47, THE50, TMO50, DIMPLE, 45-ATS, CANDYBAR.

That's 16 boards that are either out, or coming down the pipe soon!

No new colors and no new molds (except for potential novelties) means we should be able to keep the pricing reasonable.  The numpad keys are in a gradient such that Preonic users can have a number row that matches the alphas, but also allows for a 4x4 numpad (or larger) with the additional 2U keys.  JJ4x4, Roadkit, etc... (Removed 2U keys to accommodate other keys)

Things that still need to happen:

• Get pricing from SP
  • Decide on a vendor if this potentially blows MOQ out of the water
  • Get a firm timeline
  • Move to GB Phase

FAQ:

NE ISO? - NO  ^-^
Will you add keys for 60%/TKL/Full Size? - No, this is not in the plans for this keyset.
Why not? - This set is for those who get left out by other GBs and is geared towards small keyboards.  This is to keep pricing down and offer some exclusivity to those of us using said boards.
Why DSA? - Uniform profile allows for the most compatibility and flexibility among smaller keyboards and allows users to get creative to their layout.
Why SP? - Doubleshot keycaps with great quality.  Also, GMK Fatigue is starting to set in for me.

DISCLAIMER

This set is in it's very infancy and will take some time to bring to GB phase most likely.  I understand this set is not for everyone and that most of you will not be happy that it's only for 50% and below sized boards.  Please understand this is just to offer something different and is not an attack/vendetta/etc at 60% plus size board users.  (I own a 65% and 96% myself as well as a lot of smaller boards) 

I look forward to any constructive criticism that you might have. 

Thanks for looking!!
-Hedgey

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2019, 09:30:23 by Hedgey »
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline wokechill

• ChillCaps
Re: [IC] DSA Vegas Nights
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:39:58 »
40gang

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:50:14 »
Hype! very cool colorway and I'm happy to see something geared towards ortho/ergo users.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:51:31 »
Nice Hedgey, I like it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline equalunique

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:06:35 »
The FAQ parts concerning ISO & 60%+ boards is pretry salty, and I love it. Haha!

Any double shot ABS dedicated 40% / Ergo keyset I automatically gotta have. You are an agent for the greater good.

One suggestion: Homing kit, and/or non-homing F & J keys.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:17:33 »
The FAQ parts concerning ISO & 60%+ boards is pretry salty, and I love it. Haha!

Any double shot ABS dedicated 40% / Ergo keyset I automatically gotta have. You are an agent for the greater good.

One suggestion: Homing kit, and/or non-homing F & J keys.

Honestly, I just like the "NE ISO" as a meme at this point.  Less about salt and more about jokes.

Thanks for reminding me about the homing keys.  I'll get those added at some point.  Any thoughts on bars/scooped?  I personally prefer the bars, but I am curious what others think?
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Minterly

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:21:17 »
WOOOO make this happen make this happen.

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:23:33 »
Looking good I tend to like scooped homing more than bars but I’m happy to have either.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 23:15:08 »
nice

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 23:56:17 »
RIP DSA Groove.

This would be SP doubleshot ABS? Or something else?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline carlf

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 00:11:35 »
Super hyped for this

Offline piit79

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 00:34:22 »
Looks great! Almost definitely in :+1:

Sent from my OnePlus 6T with a rubbish gimmicky bloody annoying unreliable in-display fingerprint reader using Tapatalk

Offline Abec13

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:18:35 »
Gonna need some bracket keys to cover the TMO50
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline takai

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:25:06 »
It would be nice to include [ and ] keys.
Prime Keyboards support the keys https://www.primekb.com/collections/keysets

Offline trabbit

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 03:34:40 »
OMG, when is this planned? This is gonna be great!

Offline libelula9

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 09:18:01 »
Dude, this is amazing, good work. I'm totally in.

I'm a little noob, so I don't really know if this would be possible or if it would increase a lot costs, my suggestion would be a negative mods kit, I mean color mods keys with black legends as an extra kit

If u need some help with renders you can have my axe, I really want this happend

Offline x86ect

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 09:21:49 »
Show Image

There is a stark contrast between the red and the cyan.  Was that intentional?  Any reason why not to swap the pinky purple and red positions?
+1 for brackets

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 09:43:43 »
i would love a `~ key but i guess i can live without it

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:08:05 »
Love it! Put me down for a few! Please update your list to include CandyBar!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:10:52 »
Wow. those are some great keycaps for coding  ;D

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:38:57 »
Gonna need some bracket keys to cover the TMO50

Will be planning on Adding those keys

Show Image

There is a stark contrast between the red and the cyan.  Was that intentional?  Any reason why not to swap the pinky purple and red positions?
+1 for brackets

Yes, I was trying to avoid both the traditional RGB as well as having the pink and blue right next to each other which is more "miami". 

Dude, this is amazing, good work. I'm totally in.

I'm a little noob, so I don't really know if this would be possible or if it would increase a lot costs, my suggestion would be a negative mods kit, I mean color mods keys with black legends as an extra kit

If u need some help with renders you can have my axe, I really want this happend

The idea for this is to get this compat off the ground, and then anyone can use the layout for more colorways in the future.  Mikethetiger got the set started, but the first colorway didn't hit MOQ.  I'm hopeful this will and can propel this set to be used for many, many more colorways.

I would also absolutely welcome a lot of help with renders!  I only know how to do KLE ones right now.

RIP DSA Groove.

This would be SP doubleshot ABS? Or something else?

I am looking for doubleshot ABS from SP

Love it! Put me down for a few! Please update your list to include CandyBar!

Absolutely!  And I forgot to mention this will fit the Candybar!

Offline thornkin

Re: [IC] DSA Vegas Nights - Better Render of Keyset + Examples
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 00:08:29 »
I prefer homing bars to scooped keys.  They seem to be out of favor these days though...

Laser ALT sporting red Sky Pandas

Offline konart

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 02:42:04 »
> Oh, that exactly what I want for my SPACE65!

> 50%- only

> FFFFFF :-X

Offline Mr.Elli0t

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 09:33:49 »
I've been looking to get my first ever DSA set, and I think this may be the one  :thumb:

Offline OkKarma

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 09:39:26 »
yes

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 10:47:43 »
Just a head up : you add ONE (1) "M" key in blue, and bam, it's compatible with Azerty (well not for the symbols but we never get those anyway).
I'm sure a lot of people from mechanicalkeyboardFrance would take it.
I know I would. ;D
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline _sikrob

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 09:32:06 »
Been on the prowl for a DSA kit for my Nyquist for ages, and I really dig this!

I'll echo scoopbb: I'd love a `~ key, but I can live without it if that's too much trouble.

Any thoughts on bars/scooped?

I also slightly prefer homing bars, but also don't have a very strong preference. Homing key style wouldn't affect my interest in this set!

Offline tectonicplate

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 14:25:28 »
The only key I really wish was here is a 1.25u ESC in yellow legend color. All those staggered layouts… I use R2 (if we were talking sculpted) TAB and R3 ESC (like ortho standards)… it's muscle memory. 1.25u ESC always seems elusive, not sure why?… have to use a blank otherwise. :(

Oh, and scooped homing for DSA, please. Bars are fine on GMK, but DSA bars/bumps are hurt.

Best looking DSA in awhile BTW, almost definitely going to pick this up. Nice work.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2019, 14:29:14 by tectonicplate »

Offline Tyki

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 00:13:50 »
Wow I really really like this! Unique and the perfect blend of minimal and flashy.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 00:37:46 »
I've been looking to get my first ever DSA set, and I think this may be the one  :thumb:

Thank you!  Much appreciated!

I prefer homing bars to scooped keys.  They seem to be out of favor these days though...

I'm open to either although homing bars seems to be more popular.  I will be putting a poll next week early in the week.

Been on the prowl for a DSA kit for my Nyquist for ages, and I really dig this!

I'll echo scoopbb: I'd love a `~ key, but I can live without it if that's too much trouble.

I also slightly prefer homing bars, but also don't have a very strong preference. Homing key style wouldn't affect my interest in this set!

I'll see about adding the tilde key, but I'm really doing my best to keep pricing down.  I'll have an update next week.  Thanks for the interest!

The only key I really wish was here is a 1.25u ESC in yellow legend color. All those staggered layouts… I use R2 (if we were talking sculpted) TAB and R3 ESC (like ortho standards)… it's muscle memory. 1.25u ESC always seems elusive, not sure why?… have to use a blank otherwise. :(

Oh, and scooped homing for DSA, please. Bars are fine on GMK, but DSA bars/bumps are hurt.

Best looking DSA in awhile BTW, almost definitely going to pick this up. Nice work.

Thanks for the feedback!  I most likely won't be able to have a 1.25U ESC key, but I'm working on some novelties, so one of those might be perfect for you.

Just a head up : you add ONE (1) "M" key in blue, and bam, it's compatible with Azerty (well not for the symbols but we never get those anyway).
I'm sure a lot of people from mechanicalkeyboardFrance would take it.
I know I would. ;D

I'll see what I can do, but no promises.

Wow I really really like this! Unique and the perfect blend of minimal and flashy.

Thank you very much!

Offline .Udon

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 May 2019, 03:17:36 »
I need this to happen.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 14:27:04 »
im not sure what layouts use 1u fn, ctrl, os, alt but i think ortho users would prolly want a yellow Fn, orange ctrl (already in set), orange alt (already in set) and pink os.

do any layouts use the pink alt or orange fn outside of ortho? changing those 2 to the proper ortho color order (in my opinion lol) would be better

Offline Hedgey

Re: [IC] DSA Vegas Nights -New Board Renders and Novelties!!
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 09:09:39 »
Updated Board Renders and Novelties added in the first post!!

Offline fractl

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 12:42:29 »
Hah hah, I just posted on the Drop thread about GMK Pulse that I would love to see an ortho set as an option where you didn't have to buy a large base set and a specialty kit just to cover a Planck or Preonic.  It gets tiring only having options where you have to spend $150 or more to cover an ortho keyboard, where you also have nearly a hundred keycaps left over that you wish you hadn't paid for.  It's kind of like buying a car but paying double for it and getting extra parts that you never use and just keep in your garage.  I mean, seriously, if you imagine doing this with anything else, it seems ridiculous.

I mean, I understand that a specialty kit can't be offered for everything, but I don't get why complete ortho kits aren't offered more, where you get alphas and mods and thereby don't have to buy an entire base kit just to get mods.  I know things have to hit MOQ, but I think doing things this way would only increase the possibility of hitting MOQ, since people who wouldn't buy because they have to buy and entire base kit would actually probably buy this way.  So, if an ortho modifiers kit would hit MOQ, I think and ortho kit with alphas and mods would only sell more.

So, yes, I agree with your sentiments, and think this keyset is a great idea.  Don't know how I feel about the colorway, and Vegas is about my least favorite place on Earth, but it's still great to see someone going in this direction.  I might have to get it just to replace the Acute keyset on my purple Preonic (though I'd skip the novelties). 

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 12:48:49 »
Hah hah, I just posted on the Drop thread about GMK Pulse that I would love to see an ortho set as an option where you didn't have to buy a large base set and a specialty kit just to cover a Planck or Preonic.  It gets tiring only having options where you have to spend $150 or more to cover an ortho keyboard, where you also have nearly a hundred keycaps left over that you wish you hadn't paid for.  It's kind of like buying a car but paying double for it and getting extra parts that you never use and just keep in your garage.  I mean, seriously, if you imagine doing this with anything else, it seems ridiculous.

I mean, I understand that a specialty kit can't be offered for everything, but I don't get why complete ortho kits aren't offered more, where you get alphas and mods and thereby don't have to buy an entire base kit just to get mods.  I know things have to hit MOQ, but I think doing things this way would only increase the possibility of hitting MOQ, since people who wouldn't buy because they have to buy and entire base kit would actually probably buy this way.  So, if an ortho modifiers kit would hit MOQ, I think and ortho kit with alphas and mods would only sell more.

So, yes, I agree with your sentiments, and think this keyset is a great idea.  Don't know how I feel about the colorway, and Vegas is about my least favorite place on Earth, but it's still great to see someone going in this direction.  I might have to get it just to replace the Acute keyset on my purple Preonic (though I'd skip the novelties).

Thanks for the feedback, and I agree on your points about being forced to spend obscene amounts of money.

Offline fractl

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 02:17:56 »
P.S. - My personal dislike of Vegas wasn't intended as a criticism.  To each their own.  Just not my thing.  Besides, I'm not generally a fan of novelties anyway, so I won't mind skipping them.  As for the colorway, I just looked at it again, and it's growing on me.  If it comes out like the renders, I think it would actually look quite nice on my Preonic.  Any general idea about the price yet?

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 10:53:06 »
is it my eyes or is the ?/ key looking too bold in the planck renders

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 18:32:08 »
is it my eyes or is the ?/ key looking too bold in the planck renders

It’s more bold than it’s actually going to be.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 09:44:34 »
Got very favorable response to my form.  Looking for a vendor for both US and EU if anyone wants to be awesome and step up!!

Offline Tyki

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 13:06:08 »
Signature Plastics of course is the goal provider for DSA (and ideally could push this up to 65% im praying). I know you want to keep prices down though so they might be out of the question

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 08:57:42 »
I have a potential vendor, tentative timeframe for GB, and pricing from SP. 

More details to come in the next week or so!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 09:14:09 »

Hooray! Really excited to put this on the Tanuki!  :D

Offline _sikrob

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 14:44:07 »

Still excited, still hype!

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 08:55:32 »
I was supposed to have some updates today, but that got pushed aside as I have put all my priority into finishing my CRKBD/Corne Acrylic Case GB before I move this project forward further.  It's not dead and will pick up steam once I handle some other stuff first.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 01:12:42 »

my CRKBD/Corne Acrylic Case GB

What??? Link pls :D

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 07:45:42 »
Nice.
Interesting novelties.

Offline _sikrob

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 15:42:45 »
Did the homing key suggestion get figured out?

I tried searching through the thread but I don't think I saw anything definite either way.

Offline etca2z

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 12:13:01 »
Would be nice to have pink "os" key as its common to swap alt with os for Mac users.

Offline Hedgey

Re: [IC] DSA Vegas Nights -US Vendor Chosen, GB to run in August!!!
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 12:49:52 »
US Vendor has been chosen and we have some firm pricing.  Need an EU vendor and the GB will be run in August!

Offline Hedgey

Re: [IC] DSA Vegas Nights - 60% COMPAT KIT ADDED! GB TO RUN MID AUGUST!!!
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 09:07:23 »
I listened to the feedback, and we have decided to add a 60% compatibility kit!!

This should cover everything 60% and below, and I included the 7U spacebar and 1.5U keys necessary for any other non standard 60% layout.

Pricing on all the kits will be released soon and we have a US vendor.  Still looking for an EU vendor to step up if possible.

Thanks and I look forward to the next step of this process!!