Author Topic: Gaming with SA caps  (Read 6519 times)

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
Gaming with SA caps
« on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 22:44:00 »
Currently on the fence over the Carbon set on MD. I've never used SA keycaps before, so I'm not sure how they would be for gaming. They're quite tall, but I'm not certain if that really matters most. My apologies if this topic has been covered before. I did some searching but couldn't seem to find anything.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Gaming with SA caps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 22:51:22 »
Same as switches and layout, the only difference is your personal comfort with them. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 23:44:16 »
Same as switches and layout, the only difference is your personal comfort with them.

I assumed this would be one of the first replies I got, and I guess I should have been a bit more clear in the OP. I don't have a way to test out SA keycaps, and before I drop $100 I was hoping I could get some input from people that have or had SA keycaps.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 00:10:34 »
Ahh, that I can't help you with sorry.  My actual "gaming keyboard" is a combination between my orbweaver and my Naga.  I know "Razors", but they have treated me well after I swapped the blues for reds on WASD, and clears everywhere else on the Orbweaver.  But Razor moved the switches just close enough together, you can't use aftermarket caps without shaving the sides.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 03:08:09 »
SA keycaps work best with stiffer springs, like blacks, greens or clears.

Personally I quite liked gaming (and everything else) with uniform profile SA keycaps, but I struggled with varying profile SA keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 08:45:51 »

Personally I quite liked gaming (and everything else) with uniform profile SA keycaps, but I struggled with varying profile SA keycaps.

Thanks. Is it the height that makes them work better with stiffer springs? The varying profiles was another concern.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:08:02 »
IMHO, it's the weight rather than the height. I like using them on 62g ErgoClears.

I game on all Row 3 and fully sculptured SA and find it's just fine on 62g ErgoClears and Browns, no real difference in terms of responsiveness, etc than the Cherry or OEM caps I use. The keys do feel different, but it affects typing more than gaming. Oh, and fingers love the spherical keytop feels.... mmm, good.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:39:33 »

I thought about the weight thing before, I assume SA keycaps are heavier?

So assuming I like MX Red, and go with SA + MX Black.  Should the weight difference be similar enough or still too heavy?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 05:20:00 »

Thanks. Is it the height that makes them work better with stiffer springs? The varying profiles was another concern.

The weight - there's a lot of plastic in an SA set!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline treefinger

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 07:44:13 »
Personally, I do not like gaming on SA caps. I play mostly FPS games, chiefly CS:GO, where movement is of the utmost importance. For me, these are the perfect caps for finger mobility and quick A+D spam.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 09:43:24 »
I play with hipro Topre caps which are high profile.

Nothing wrong with it for me.

The only issue I'd see with ABS SA is that your WASD will be very shiny! =P