Author Topic: Vintage Rubber Dome Keyboards  (Read 37027 times)

Offline kekman

• quit life
Re: Vintage Rubber Dome Keyboards
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 19:27:49 »
I also have an NMB dome with slider board, typing on it felt a little unimpressive imo, the only noteworthy thing I found was the soft clicking the slider produced at times.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 20:16:22 »
You've seen a lot of them too!  Which models stand out as much better?  I'd be curious to try some of them.
I'd have to rummage through my box of dome with slider boards back home to find out all of them, but from my recollection especially BTC and Monterey dome with slider stood out, they are really good. However, also NMB dome with slider, Olivetti rubber domes, and Bloomberg miniature domes were definitely better. Fujitsu Peerless would've been better if they used better stabilisers. Fujitsu dome with slider is mushy, but still better than Key Tronic. Even Key Tronic dome with slider was better than Key Tronic rubber domes, as I recall.
Interesting.  How do I know if my Keytronics are just dome or dome and slider?
Pull off a cap. If you see a slider, it's dome with slider ;) .

KT mount is quite easy to recognise, too, it's like a little beam that's grabbed by two prongs in the keycap. You'll recognise them; they look a lot like their foam and foil switches.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 23:37:08 »
You've seen a lot of them too!  Which models stand out as much better?  I'd be curious to try some of them.
I'd have to rummage through my box of dome with slider boards back home to find out all of them, but from my recollection especially BTC and Monterey dome with slider stood out, they are really good. However, also NMB dome with slider, Olivetti rubber domes, and Bloomberg miniature domes were definitely better. Fujitsu Peerless would've been better if they used better stabilisers. Fujitsu dome with slider is mushy, but still better than Key Tronic. Even Key Tronic dome with slider was better than Key Tronic rubber domes, as I recall.
Interesting.  How do I know if my Keytronics are just dome or dome and slider?
Pull off a cap. If you see a slider, it's dome with slider ;) .

KT mount is quite easy to recognise, too, it's like a little beam that's grabbed by two prongs in the keycap. You'll recognise them; they look a lot like their foam and foil switches.
I'll have to do that when I'm near them next and have my keycap puller with me.

Offline thecolorblind1

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 17:49:47 »
Today I picked up a Microsoft Natural Keyboard from 1994. I found it randomly while thrift store hunting and was blown away that it can in the original box with all the documentation and even the floppy!

Not sure how rare these are, but I thought it would be worth sharing as this is the first year of the Natural models.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 20:59:44 »
They're extremely common. I've run into dozens of MS Naturals at the recycling centre, but I've never seen a dome with slider model before Oo . Let alone with what appears to be Key Tronic mount.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline thecolorblind1

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 22:08:22 »
They're extremely common. I've run into dozens of MS Naturals at the recycling centre, but I've never seen a dome with slider model before Oo . Let alone with what appears to be Key Tronic mount.
So the first model of the Natural's were actually made by Key Tronic, hence the sliders. Apparently Key Tronic made some of the best rubber domes.

Also I learned this is actually the first keyboard that introduced the Windows and Menu keys as well.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 22:16:30 »
I miss EscapeVelocity :(

his keyboard spree was among the best of 2015.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 05:12:30 »
All early MS Natural keyboards were made by Key Tronic, but some didn't have discrete sliders. The domes were way too stiff and not as nice as Key Tronic's own keyboard line.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 09:14:41 »
So that's why my brother likes the original MS Natural the best--it had one of the best rubber domes at the heart of it.  :cool:

Could you imagine what would happen if Topre made a MS Natural shaped board?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 09:48:05 »
I got one in the 1990s and tried to use it a couple of times but it was just too unnatural for me. Part of my problem is that I use "other" keyboards too and I get disoriented going back and forth.

From buying and selling a few of these on ebay I know that the originals with "inverted-T" arrows are much more desirable than the "+" layout that came later. There is also a Dell-re-branded variant which is no different from its MS contemporary.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:57:00 »
I got one in the 1990s and tried to use it a couple of times but it was just too unnatural for me. Part of my problem is that I use "other" keyboards too and I get disoriented going back and forth.

From buying and selling a few of these on ebay I know that the originals with "inverted-T" arrows are much more desirable than the "+" layout that came later. There is also a Dell-re-branded variant which is no different from its MS contemporary.
That was my problem as well.  Plus, my 2-fingered typing style at the time had me 'reaching over' too much for the keys at 90 degree angles.  I probably would like it a lot more now.

Very interesting to know about the dell-re-brand.  I'll have to tell my brother about that little gem as he stockpiles the MS since the domes wear out after about 10 years of use for him.

Offline thecolorblind1

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:27:24 »

That's interesting about the Dell rebranding. Did they use the Key Tronic mount with sliders as well?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:34:11 »
That's interesting about the Dell rebranding. Did they use the Key Tronic mount with sliders as well?

I sold it on ebay years ago but I don't think so.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 06:39:55 »
Sorry to post to Ye Olde Thread, but a NIB Dell KB-1421 came in at the community recycling depot where I volunteer... I really like it!

You have a BTC, right? How do they hold up to that? :)

Yes, I have barely-out-of-the-box examples of both within arm's reach.

Dell: Quiet, smooth, fast. Modern-looking (compact, flat key profile, black).

BTC: Much stiffer. Noisy, but in what most of us would consider a good way. More cylindrical buttons. Big-ass Enter (but both have normal Backspace). Retro-looking (1" bigger in every direction, curved profile, pearl).

Basically, we're talking vintage vs. contemporary. People into older boards would prefer the BTC. People who just want to type would go for the Dell.

Surprisingly, they weigh about the same. As far as I can tell, this is because—despite its small size—the Dell has a thicker case. They're both solid, well-made boards with no flex. The BTC's keys rattle a bit when shaken sideways, but that's probably because they're sliders over domes, which are bound to be more complicated.

I'm amazed something as solid and handy as a NIB Dell KB-1421 can be had for around $15 shipped. (Here are the ones currently on eBay. As I write, there are two at $17.99 or Make Offer, free shipping.) It's loads better than the flimsy membrane boards they sell in big-box electronics stores. If you just want a compact, reliable board to take places where you might worry about an MK, it seems perfect.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2016, 07:22:22 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 01:56:23 »
Plus, they look sort of like Filcos:

124085-0
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 17:42:43 »
I miss EscapeVelocity :(

his keyboard spree was among the best of 2015.

Thanks!  What a nice thing to say!

Im back for round two!

I just got a Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum delievered today.

And I just purchased a Gigabyte Aivia Osmium with Brown switches.

Im selling the Ducky DK9087 tenkeyless with Cherry Blues and Green Backlighting.  And also the Keycool.   

I already sold the KBT Race II  with Cherry Blues and white LED backlighting, which I kind of regret. I really like the 75% 84 key form factor...but Im for quieter keyboards now.

Which means Im really kicking myself for selling the Nopoo 108, which was quiet and a joy to type on.  So Im probaby gonna look for another Topre ( or clone) board.

Oh and the ThermalTake Poseiden Z TKL has an issue. I might just salvage the Kaihl blues on that one.

Anyways good to see everyone.

Im gonna contact Chyros and send him a Logitech UltraX PS/2 board, brand new from mid 2000s for him to review (maybe trade for another vintage slider over dome keyboard from his collection.  He's made so many more videos since I was last looking into keyboards earnestly!  Wow!

Good to see everyone!
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 December 2017, 17:50:52 by EscapeVelocity »

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 00:27:37 »
One thing I wanted to say is that the Chicony KB-5923 and the IBM KB-8923 use the same standard rubber domes.  The 8923 however weighs more and is a bit better on the underside construction and the keycaps are a bit nicer.

The keyfeel is the same on both. But I like the IBM KB-8923 better. That being said the Dell Quiet Key slider domes has a superior keyfeel to both.

I havent checked out the KB-6923, but I bet it's a step in between with the same standard rubber domes.  So I probably wont.

Currently sourcing a few more models. Ill let you know as I acquire them.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 05:09:14 »
This Northgate Omnikey 101 brand new in box sold for $75 shipped 30 days ago!... How did I miss this?

The same way most of us miss great bargains that turn up now and then... No special skills are required.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 16:57:35 »
Picked up a

Matias Quiet Pro for PC
Acer Acufeel 6311
Packard Bell 5139

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 17:56:55 »
I'd like to add my two nominations for excellent RD boards:
  • The HP C3758 / C3758A. Here's a recent GH thread on them. Built by Key Tronic but designed by HP, their full-travel, tactile keys feel as close to a Topre as any non-Topre I've used. New ones can still be found for $20–25. It's a lot of KB for so little dough.
  • One of the Lexmark-made "quiet" IBM Model M's (p/n's 70G8638, 71G4643, 71G4644). They're often overlooked because of the inevitable comparison to their great buckling-spring counterparts. But they're still Model M's, and many feel they're the best RDs ever made.
BTW, EscapeVelocity, while we really appreciate your starting this interesting topic, do you realize how hard it is to find details about particular boards—from a search engine, GH's Search box, or using Find on the page itself—with extensive KB-list signatures like yours peppering the site? I'm sure we'll all quite impressed with how many boards you've managed to accumulate, but how often do you think we need to be reminded?

Oh OK, that list is more for my own use.  Ill make one post and just update that. Sorry. And thanks for the tips.