Author Topic: Just tried topre for the first time  (Read 5865 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Re: Just tried topre for the first time
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:12:19 »

Just bought a Realforce 104 variable.... and I think I really dislike it.  For starters my favorite switch is 62g (also like 55g for gaming) lubed with thick gh lube clears.  This however, feels like reds I think (I really hate reds!).  It's like when you press the keys the there is no resistance but suddenly there is a little resistance and your fingers fall to the floor so to speak as the actuation is somehow completed for you(that probably makes no sense).  I don't hate rubber dome but I don't love them either after having tried mechs, but I don't think that Topre takes the good out of a rubber dome as I like some rubber domes better than this.  Also, the spacebar is loud as **** on the upstroke, feels really cheap.  Actually the whole typing experience on this board feels cheap imo.  Lastly, torn about the rough pbt on this as opposed to bsp's smooth pbt.

So I've heard most dislike it at first and then learn to like it, I really doubt that I will, it feels really inefficient to type (most people don't recommend topre for gaming as it's inefficient I gather, well inneficient to me /=/ quality imo). Someone please try to convince me that topre is good before I sell off this piece of junk (sorry church of topre people, I know this is blasphemous).

edit: the spacebar also feels much heavier than the other keys don't know what that is and I really hate it.

edit2: some people said that the caps on EK special edition of the realforce the caps were extra nice, the caps on these feel kind of cheap are the EK ones different/better?

This post is stupid. its like which tastes better, mango or orange. I like orange better, but please convince me to eat mango else I throw it away. #indecisive

Well, sometimes in life some things are popular, but you don't understand why, but since it's so popular you think "maybe there's something I'm missing here", and you don't want to potentially miss out on this thing.  It's called open mindedness and curiosity, nobody is getting hurt by this discussion here.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Polymer

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 20:44:19 »
Nothing wrong with trying it...

I think to like it you have to have an open mind and try it for some time though...a lot of people have tossed out the idea right away..which is fair enough....but it is just one of those things where a good percentage of Topre users have found to appreciate it after actually using it for awhile and comparing it to their Cherry or whatever board over some period of time. 

But really, no one is going to convince you to keep something you don't like..I think that is what the person was saying in calling your OP "stupid".  You already read many people have said you have to give it some time, give time for a comparison...but there is nothing about someone else's preferences that is going to convince you to keep a board you just flat out dislike...

Offline jamster

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 07:44:08 »
Yeah I'm probably a little weird, since I've only heard 1 person say that they feel that reds are more work to press than clears I am probably in minority :)  I describe it like this: reds are easy to press at the start but get heavier and heavier and I always bottom out, while clears may be heaviest at the start so you push them heavily at the start and that makes you break through the bump so the rest of the down-stroke is maybe not as noticeable.  With topre it's light at the start of the travel and then it gets heavier but the switch helps you to press it somehow and finishes the stroke for you and your fingers get a falling down feeling (hard to describe!).  I just don't like it. 

Huh, goes to show how personal and subjective this whole keyboard thing is.

I have Clears with 65g springs, and I can still feel the increasing resistance as the key goes deeper into the travel. It's not as annoying as stock clears, which felt terrible to me, but still enough to occasionally remind me that this is not my ideal keyboard.

I have tried Reds, and they are so weak that I can't feel the resistance at all, the keys just seem to collapse with the slightest touch.

I've tried Topre 45 and experience what you describe as the " fingers get a falling down feeling", because this is pretty much exactly what rubber dome feels like. And I really enjoy it. A couple of minutes with a Topre 45 was enough to convince me that what I really want is a Topre 55, and I'll buy one as soon as I can justify another couple of hundred dollars on a keyboard.