Author Topic: [IC] Alter - An Affordable (Hopefully) TGR Alice Clone  (Read 64803 times)

Offline beekey

Re: [IC] Alter - An Affordable (Hopefully) TGR Alice Clone
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 09:29:43 »
Maybe join the As at the top of the logo. Would look like an arrow / rocket going up. With some fantasy you could also read Alice from the logo.;)

Offline MMMike

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:25:41 »
Really like the logo myself, kinda like my name, so yeah, I'm biased.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

I don't have any issues with the name, or trying to represent the name. The logo looks out of place compared to the case design. I'm unsure if it's meant to be some tribal, mirror image visual pun trying to be a contrasting statement to the balanced asymmetry of the case, or just the result of messing around with a mirror mode in a mobile graphics app. I can't shake impression I get of it being a doodle - the idea behind it is not necessarily bad, but I think that it can be executed better. It feels in-progress.

That said, this is only one guy's opinion - and it's easier to be a critic. If I had to choose, my preference would be a script logo, but there's no accounting for taste.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:32:28 »
Really like the logo myself, kinda like my name, so yeah, I'm biased.

I don't have any issues with the name, or trying to represent the name. The logo looks out of place compared to the case design. I'm unsure if it's meant to be some tribal, mirror image visual pun trying to be a contrasting statement to the balanced asymmetry of the case, or just the result of messing around with a mirror mode in a mobile graphics app. I can't shake impression I get of it being a doodle - the idea behind it is not necessarily bad, but I think that it can be executed better. It feels in-progress.

That said, this is only one guy's opinion - and it's easier to be a critic. If I had to choose, my preference would be a script logo, but there's no accounting for taste.
I mean, everyone has opinions and personal tastes, to which I can say the complete opposite from your comment lol.

I like it that it's different and goes nicely with the name "Alter". Minimal text on a board is a norm, so to speak, and this changes that, making it unique.

To each their own I guess

Offline MMMike

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:34:27 »
I mean, everyone has opinions and personal tastes, to which I can say the complete opposite from your comment lol.

To each their own I guess

but there's no accounting for taste

We're saying the same thing here :)

I like it that it's different and goes nicely with the name "Alter". Minimal text on a board is a norm, so to speak, and this changes that, making it unique.

I'm all for changing the status quo, but it can be done aesthetically. Just because something is unique, doesn't mean it is good.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 11:24:14 »
I'm all for changing the status quo, but it can be done aesthetically. Just because something is unique, doesn't mean it is good.

This is aesthetic looking to me. Again, depends on pov and tastes.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 11:26:09 »
Could you make a discord server, making talking about projects easier?

Offline myflowsocold

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 13:02:54 »
Definitely interested! Can't wait for more updates
Nunu | Lyn Whale R2 | Bauer | Satisfaction75 | WKL Polaris | TGR x Singa Unikorn

Offline anonymous

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:20:36 »

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/hMtt7BU

Offline hotpancakes

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 12:05:18 »
hi there

first post in this website, new to custom keyboards! this design looks tasty!

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 12:36:23 »

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/hMtt7BU
Thank you!

Offline anonymous

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 05:30:55 »
Just a small update, there's a potential partnership with KBDfans. This means that the keyboard will be an in-stock item and will not be offered via GB. This ensures that it will be sold at the lowest price possible and with minimal logistical issues. At this point, the quantity is to be determined but it will be based on the demand during the IC phase.

With regards to the design, I already have a 3D printed prototype as well as a pcb. So far, the plate and pcb fits. An aluminum proto will be produced by KBDfans in the following months. I have a few changes on the case but it's just some small details. Overall look will still be the same.

Since it's an in-stock item, we're planning to just offer one material for the plate and bottom piece. For the plate, it will be brass. Other plate material might be offered as an add-on. For the bottom cover, we're choosing between thick angled aluminum or standard 3mm flat brass. We plan to make a proto of the two types of bottom cover to compare.

Prototype pcb

3D Printed Case

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 07:56:13 »
With all due respect if this is going to be offered as an in-stock item through kbdfans then I'm not interested. They seem to be having a lot of logistical issues these days, as well as some qc issues based on the polaris group buy. I also have concerns regarding overall availability if this is going to be offered as an in-stock item, since that's the road they're taking with the Bella 75%, which according to their site they plan on producing approximately 100 of each type of, with the waiting list for purchases sitting at 6594 people right now.

Personally I think the best approach would be to go through an initial group buy period, and if the demand still exists then offer it as an in-stock item from whatever vendor. That would ensure that people that want one of these boards can actually get one, vs just tossing a couple hundred boards up on their site and saying "good luck".

Offline bard

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 08:17:51 »
as well as some qc issues based on the polaris group buy

what has happened with polaris? (I only heard about PC plates)

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 08:35:24 »
as well as some qc issues based on the polaris group buy

what has happened with polaris? (I only heard about PC plates)

There were issues with the plates as well as their e-yellow coatings not matching the initial images/photos, but them remaining adamant that it is the correct color despite the previous images. Things like that may or may not be remedied by being offered as an in-stock item, but I know that I've purchased in-stock anodized cases from them that haven't accurately matched the color of the pictures on their site either, so overall I have reservations about their services as they stand right now. And again there's also the issue of meeting demand by offering it as an in-stock item on a popular international site.

Offline bard

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 09:00:21 »
I had similar issues with kbfans.. purchased a GB item with b-stock marks/scratches  :confused:
but I heard that polaris qc was pretty level on each level

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 10:43:41 »
With all due respect if this is going to be offered as an in-stock item through kbdfans then I'm not interested. They seem to be having a lot of logistical issues these days, as well as some qc issues based on the polaris group buy. I also have concerns regarding overall availability if this is going to be offered as an in-stock item, since that's the road they're taking with the Bella 75%, which according to their site they plan on producing approximately 100 of each type of, with the waiting list for purchases sitting at 6594 people right now.

Personally I think the best approach would be to go through an initial group buy period, and if the demand still exists then offer it as an in-stock item from whatever vendor. That would ensure that people that want one of these boards can actually get one, vs just tossing a couple hundred boards up on their site and saying "good luck".

I can't say whether or not it will actually help, but as far as I know the reason kbdfans is moving toward in stock sales is because of the recent issues with polaris etc. I do agree with some of the other concerns like availability though.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 11:13:16 »
Availability is a big concern as well. If it shapes up to be anything like what the bella is sitting at right now then I'm not interested in following the development any longer for those reasons as well, because realistically I'm never going to get my hands on one for an affordable price.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 20:45:04 »
Availability is a big concern as well. If it shapes up to be anything like what the bella is sitting at right now then I'm not interested in following the development any longer for those reasons as well, because realistically I'm never going to get my hands on one for an affordable price.

I understand how you feel. However, even if I proceed with the GB format, I would still be not able to meet the demand of 100 boards or more. Organizing a GB for a keyboard is not easy you know. If I will run the GB myself, I would just limit it to not more than 50 spotsS.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 20:49:09 »
I had similar issues with kbfans.. purchased a GB item with b-stock marks/scratches  :confused:

Did you report the issue to kbdfans?

Offline FinalEleven

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 21:31:56 »

I understand how you feel. However, even if I proceed with the GB format, I would still be not able to meet the demand of 100 boards or more. Organizing a GB for a keyboard is not easy you know. If I will run the GB myself, I would just limit it to not more than 50 spotsS.

I think it would be a good idea to run 50 yourself, then do additional rounds. I would assume that additional rounds would have a quicker turnaround assuming the same factories are used due to not needing a prototype.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 23:43:25 »
A GB isn’t the easiest thing in the world to do. No platform will solve everyone’s “problem” of not owning one. I respect someone willing to admit a limit for themselves. Those are the folks that won’t be burned out after one run.

Offline bard

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 01:22:37 »

Did you report the issue to kbdfans?

yes, but never got a response - contacted support on discord - the same
after a few tries, I've stopped as they could not be ready for such amount of support tasks
all in all - I do not buy there anymore  :rolleyes:

Offline reaLFX

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 23:46:54 »
Interested

Offline zekth

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 07:31:20 »
Looking for it

Since it's an in-stock item, we're planning to just offer one material for the plate and bottom piece. For the plate, it will be brass. Other plate material might be offered as an add-on.

I get the point of the "in-stock" constraint, but i also read "might be offered as an add-on". So if it's not possible, would you release the plate files?

Offline anonymous

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 09:19:13 »
Looking for it

Since it's an in-stock item, we're planning to just offer one material for the plate and bottom piece. For the plate, it will be brass. Other plate material might be offered as an add-on.

I get the point of the "in-stock" constraint, but i also read "might be offered as an add-on". So if it's not possible, would you release the plate files?

Plate files are open source. But sure, I can release the plate file for Alter. The only thing I added on my version are some flex cuts below the two spacebars

Offline anonymous

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 08:14:59 »
Prototype is under production and should be finished soon. Will post pictures once I have it.

Offline pleasega

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 12:34:00 »
dont really fancy the sharp bottom edge...

Offline Ooga Booga

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 04:01:34 »
Looking forward to this

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 10:12:31 »
Google form could use some updates after recent changes.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 05:18:19 »
The prototype is on the way to me know. It should arrive by next week

Offline beebeemboo

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 19:43:39 »
Been looking/waiting for a new Alice forever! Let's GOOOOO

Offline steelykeeb

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 06:45:37 »
will black  be the only color option

Offline myflowsocold

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 14:30:53 »
Any updates on the prototype? Really excited to add another Alice clone to my desk rotation  ;D
Nunu | Lyn Whale R2 | Bauer | Satisfaction75 | WKL Polaris | TGR x Singa Unikorn

Offline anonymous

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 03:44:17 »
I have received the prototype from kbdfans

Offline bard

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 03:45:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

does it have internal slope?

Offline noorejji

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 03:58:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

Nice. Any comments?

Offline TPSM_00

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 17:52:24 »
This is a rather interesting concept...

Show Image

I would love to see that on a board

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 08:28:09 »
6063 is a must, imho. For the price that will be a low margin but knowing kbdfans and the quality, you'll want 6063 at least.

300 USD. sounds very appealing. I'm happy you have not made the pcb hotswap (but that's just preference). Any plan for a PC plate option?

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 07:57:34 »
This is the best thing I've seen in awhile!

Offline youngbaby

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 11:00:23 »
Prototype looks great! I think the KBDfans route sounds like the right move, I'll definitely be picking one up.

Offline NitPik

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 14:25:40 »
Very interested, but no updates since July? Is there somewhere other than this thread where you post updates?

Offline Draxion

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 12:59:57 »
Will the QC be done by kbdfans or just used as vendor

Offline xef

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 19:54:10 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:39:33 by xef »

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 17:20:19 »
Whats the status on this?

Offline thebreadsaver

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 01:06:51 »
what's the status on this. I was really looking forward to this but this looks dead

Offline NitPik

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 17:59:05 »
For people like me who are still very much interested in this board, but were discouraged by this thread, it was mentioned in the discord that the final files were sent to KBDFans and he's waiting on their response. (02/20/2021)

Offline r13lbag

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 20:24:14 »
For anyone who's wondering about how things are going. Join the discord server. Let's go!

Offline anonymous

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 13:00:29 »
The KBDfans route won't happen anytime soon. We are running a small GB in our website for those who are really interested

https://deskdaily.store/products/Groupbuy-Alter-Aluminum-Keyboard-p376139046