Author Topic: [IC] [Art Print] 4C "Cherry" Poster Art  (Read 21909 times)

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
[IC] [Art Print] 4C "Cherry" Poster Art
« on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:04:28 »
Edit: Group buy is now on! Find out more and order here

Hi everyone!

I'm a graphic designer and general keyboard nut with 4 keyboards, one of them being #endgame HHKB 1 (courtesy of Hasu who sold it to me at a damn good price) :)

Have also been benefiting a lot from GH, learning how to solder, hand-wire, flashing Teensies, the whole lot. Always felt like a 'consumer' here just taking in all this stuff all the while. That is, till the moment I saw CPTBadAss' Tactile zine project about a week ago, it occurred to me that I can put my training/skills to use here too.

Which comes to the 'graphic design' part. I would like to create a 4-colour silkscreen print of some #notendgame Cherry MX switches. Here's a pic:

Older version:
More

The trick or 'concept' behind this is that with 4 colours, I can layer 4 prints on top of each other to form the final image. Of course, the 4 colours are red, green, blue and brown which are the 4 MX switch colours.

(sorry I can't do black - it will block out the other colours!)

If you have ever taken coloured acrylics sheets and put them on top of each other, and see the colours layer to form a deeper colour, that's the idea but with ink.

So I would make 4 templates, and print them onto the same piece of paper, like this:

This is hand drawn, so you would get a really analog look like the detail crop of this mockup:

With this Interest Check, I would like to find out:
Please copy and paste these, and reply with your answer to each question, if interested

1) Would you buy this poster? [yes][no]
2) How much would you pay for one, incl. shipping? [below $25][$25-$45][$45-$60][$above $60]
3) How much would you pay for one if these are limited to 100pcs only, incl. shipping? [below $45][$45-$60][$60-$75][$above $75]
4) Where are you based? [your country] (this is so I can find out what it's gonna cost to ship this to you in a cardboard tube)
5) I want to add a hand-lettered title on this poster too. It will be to the bottom of the four switch images. What should it say? [Geekhack][Cherry Blossom][suggest something]
Closing Notes

If there is enough interest, I would then determine what's the best size to print these at (based on average price people want to pay and how many people are interested) and check out how much the screens would cost to make. I think we want at least A3 (297mm x 420mm), otherwise there wouldn't be a point to this poster (too small). I will get the screens made and hand-screen these myself.

The other thing is, if there is enough interest, I will produce a small scale try out by making test screens and buying the correct inks and papers to do a small test run. This is to show how the colours will turn out. The above pics are digital mock-ups, so the real prints will definitely look very different.

-end-

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2015, 22:18:09 by hydrospell »
⌨ Filco MJ2 MX Blues / M0116 Orange Alps / Homemade 60% MX Reds / M0110

Cherry MX art prints 20/50 still available!

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
Re: [IC] [Art Print] 4C "Cherry" Poster Art
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:06:54 »
First Interest Check, so I'm probably missing out on ten thousand essential facts to tell your audience before you post an IC. Please ask questions too and I'll happily answer them.

FAQ Time

What print size and price would this likely be?
Most likely 35cm x 40cm, and most likely USD35 per print which includes surface shipping (6-8 weeks 10 working days from SG to US, according to initial estimate by post office. I'll update for sure when I ship the first poster).
Option to upgrade to expedited shipping at extra cost if desired.

How did you arrive at $35 per piece? What's the cost associated with making this happen?
Going to keep this super transparent, here's the math:

My upfront fixed cost will be test print (I'll first make 4 small screens to try and print with, to see if the overprinting effect works and to get the colours right). Second fixed cost is the actual set of 4 screens and ink/paper costs. This works out to be around $376 (500SGD).
With each piece selling at $35, I will have to sell 16 pieces before I break even.
At 50 pieces I will make $697 profit, but I consider this labour cost really, and this is assuming best outcome of 50 pcs all sold out.

So I'd hedge a bit and say 20 pcs is my break even point.

Print run?
First run will be 50 pieces. Each piece will be numbered and signed by me.

What ink and paper?
I will be using Speedball silkscreen printing ink for all 4 colours.

I will be checking out paper available to me in Singapore, but generally we have quite a good selection at the store. Looking at uncoated cream paper at 200-300gsm weight. Coconut has suggested BFK Rives or Stonehenge paper which I will check availability of in Singapore.

Can I have this bigger, say a 100cm square poster?
Checking with printers I work with. This will not be silkscreen printing, rather it will be spot colour offset or digital offset, so the effect is not as "analog" as screen printed pieces. I would still want these to be printed on nice paper stock though. Note likely at this point as MOQ will be quite high for this to be feasible at all.

Any other questions please post here or PM me. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 23:16:07 by hydrospell »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:45:04 »
1-Yes
2 and 3-Either way, around $50 shipped(just noticed you are in Singapore, so obviously shipping would be more. Would try to buy a few/proxy a tube to save on shipping)
4-Canada
5-Cherry peasants(topre is life) nah, I dunno

I'm really into silk screened posters on nice paper. As for size, looks quite square to me. Could always do a simple 30cmX30cm? Honestly, bigger is better for me, but I don't know if the image would look worse at a bigger size. If you could do a huge 90x90cm I would rock that as well(damn the frame cost though!).

As for questions:
What types of paper do you have access to?
Maybe you could do four prints instead of one big one, depending on interest.
I'm really into the four templates, even that on a print would be great.
ps-I love me some test prints

Oh and I also wanted to say, I like the hand drawn style  :thumb:

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 13:13:05 »
Thanks for the reply! So relieved!  :))

Looks square - yeah, except if I add a title at the bottom it'll be sliightly taller than it is wide. Ideally I'd like to do something around 50cm x (height), which is a nice poster size for hanging on walls in my opinion. But it boils down to how much money we aim to throw at this - a screen A3 size is around $40-50, and we need 4.

As for your questions:

1) Paper - I will mainly source from this shop http://www.fancypapers.com/html/products-text-cover.html here in Singapore. They carry a wide range of stuff. I'm most probably going for uncoated cream stock, 200-300gsm.

2) 4 prints instead of 1 big one - but I feel this defeats the point of having 4 colours :) We'll see, maybe I can do small batch of giclee prints if small prints are more popular.

3) the four templates - interest noted!

4) test prints - will definitely do some, upload and will throw some in for you if we can get enough interest + into production! Fingers crossed!

5) Thank you, I love the hand drawn stuff too :)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 13:19:34 »
I've taken many printing classes and had a home setup for a while. I like what you are doing, for sure. Too bad I dumped all my cherry stuff in January. :p

200-300gsm is heavy. Good choice. Deckle or no?

No giclee! Please no! People don't know these are just inkjets basically. Don't dish out an inferior product with such a sleek design that lends itself to a nice screenprint!

You are the artist. You pick the layout. You pick the name. :P

I do, however, agree with Halv that you need to pick a size that people can afford to frame easily. Perhaps 12 x 12" each so they can buy premade record sleeve frames?

And damn Halverson for already having dibs on APs.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 13:42:30 »
You don't need to own cherry switches to own a cherry print :) #justsayin

What is a deckle? Sorry, I am not familiar with that term. Silkscreen on thick paper is my fav! :)

No giclee - disinterest noted! I meant it more like in addition, and smaller sized prints (think postcards).

I will think of the title then.

Thanks for the note on the frame, that makes sense. In that case 30cm is actually quite big. I was thinking more of a wheat paste type of thing but that doesn't work with 300 gsm paper obviously, and people wouldn't wheat paste their house walls. Blame it on the late hour... But really, thanks for bringing up the framing.

What are APs? If you mean the test prints, I'm sure I'm doing more than one test print...

Thanks absyrd for your reply.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 13:46:12 »
You don't need to own cherry switches to own a cherry print :) #justsayin

What is a deckle? Sorry, I am not familiar with that term. Silkscreen on thick paper is my fav! :)

No giclee - disinterest noted! I meant it more like in addition, and smaller sized prints (think postcards).

I will think of the title then.

Thanks for the note on the frame, that makes sense. In that case 30cm is actually quite big. I was thinking more of a wheat paste type of thing but that doesn't work with 300 gsm paper obviously, and people wouldn't wheat paste their house walls. Blame it on the late hour... But really, thanks for bringing up the framing.

What are APs? If you mean the test prints, I'm sure I'm doing more than one test print...

Thanks absyrd for your reply.

I may buy one depending on price and shipping. My walls are so packed with my own artwork from over the years that I don't really have space.

Deckled edge is like torn/rough edge. It looks nice if you float frame it or don't have a mat over the edges (as it would be if it was just 12x12" in a cheap frame)

AP = Artist's Proof... so, yeah, test prints often in differing colors than final product

No need to thank me. I think what you are doing is awesome.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 13:54:45 »
Nice! Do you have a portfolio site or something I can check out?

Deckled edge - probably depends on type of paper I end up getting for these more than anything. Will have to see!

AP - got it!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 14:05:54 »
Nice! Do you have a portfolio site or something I can check out?

Deckled edge - probably depends on type of paper I end up getting for these more than anything. Will have to see!

AP - got it!

I have always done my art for therapeutic reasons, and all of it very abstract (hence why I needed graphic design help recently). Never sold a thing. Only had the testes to give a couple away to close friends.

I think your drawings are great and will make a great print. I hope more people see this thread. Perhaps put a link in your sig?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 14:08:52 »
1) Would you buy this poster? [yes][no]
2) How much would you pay for one, incl. shipping? [below $25][$25-$45][$45-$60][$above $60]
3) How much would you pay for one if these are limited to 100pcs only, incl. shipping? [below $45][$45-$60][$60-$75][$above $75]
4) Where are you based? [your country] (this is so I can find out what it's gonna cost to ship this to you in a cardboard tube)
5) I want to add a hand-lettered title on this poster too. It will be to the bottom of the four switch images. What should it say? [Geekhack][Cherry Blossom][suggest something]

1. I would buy this poster
2. Ideally 15-20, but I would pay up to ~30
3. Same price if they were limited
4. USA
5. I think "Geekhack" would look best on the bottom

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:01:22 »
Good choice on the paper! I recently passed on a cream paper print for a mint green, need me some cream!

I also agree on no giclee! Not terrible, but not for this piece for sure.

In regard to "geekhack" at the bottom, just seems wrong since this site is so much more. More like "Cherries".

How many prints would you need to do to make this feasible?

Lastly, would you be willing to hand number and sign these if you do a small limited run?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:04:41 »
Good choice on the paper! I recently passed on a cream paper print for a mint green, need me some cream!

In regard to "geekhack" at the bottom, just seems wrong since this site is so much more. More like "Cherries".

Lastly, would you be willing to hand number and sign these if you do a small limited run?

Good questions. Are you hand-pulling these yourself or sending it off?

And definitely sign and number like any print. Any APs just write AP on bottom. It'll make Halv feel extra special when he gets one.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:06:37 »

And definitely sign and number like any print. Any APs just write AP on bottom. It'll make Halv feel extra special when he gets one.

Ima get you one as well if these happen, errr WHEN these happen.

Oh, hand pulled, good thought! I really want to try it myself.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:12:32 »

If you have a local community college, I'd definitely recommend taking a printmaking class. The wife and I took one together for cheap and learned etching, engraving, linocut, lithography, screen printing and more just in our first semester. We made so much art for our walls that it was worth the money alone for that. Tons of fun. Also makes you appreciate the great artists out there.

We subsequently took the 2nd level and then repeated 5 or so times just to use the equipment. Then we set up a screenprinting room in the basement for a while.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:14:53 »

If you have a local community college, I'd definitely recommend taking a printmaking class. The wife and I took one together for cheap and learned etching, engraving, linocut, lithography, screen printing and more just in our first semester. We made so much art for our walls that it was worth the money alone for that. Tons of fun. Also makes you appreciate the great artists out there.

We subsequently took the 2nd level and then repeated 5 or so times just to use the equipment. Then we set up a screenprinting room in the basement for a while.

I'll have to see what's around me, I live in terrible northern Ontario. If I was in Toronto I bet I could find some cool stuff. Perhaps I'll let the Internet and YouTube guide me. I do have much free space in the basement.

Forgot to say, all that sounds cool as hell :)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:19:22 »
Ah, yeah. Forgot your location. Maybe there is an art space (think hackerspace) around? I've heard of them in Philly but never went to one as the community college was just more convenient.

And I'm going to link this thread in my own sig for a couple days. I really try to support art, and I love keyboards (despite the Cherry), so it is a go-go.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:22:44 »

Ah, yeah. Forgot your location. Maybe there is an art space (think hackerspace) around? I've heard of them in Philly but never went to one as the community college was just more convenient.

And I'm going to link this thread in my own sig for a couple days. I really try to support art, and I love keyboards (despite the Cherry), so it is a go-go.

I'm trying to tell any friends that like keyboards or art to come check it out. Maybe I'll just need to become an art dealer.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 16:25:31 »

I'm trying to tell any friends that like keyboards or art to come check it out. Maybe I'll just need to become an art dealer.

Dream job. I got offered to learn the ways at a gallery in New Hope, PA, back in the day. I turned it down as I was getting into real estate, and since the gallery now has two locations in NYC. Ooooooops!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 17:01:26 »
First of all, great idea. I love silk screen prints and the subject matter here makes it that much better. So here is my $0.02

1) Yes I would buy this
2) $45-$60 shipped
3) Same as above $45-$60 shipped
4) Ontario, Canada
5) geekhack - Cherry MX

I like it all being on one print but I think an ideal size for me is 24"x36". If you do decide to split the images up then I would prefer them to be each the size of a standard piece of printer paper or slightly bigger.

My other questions basically reflect exactly what Halverson asked earlier in the thread so I will just quote him here.

As for questions:

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2015, 17:04:32 by YoungMichael88 »
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 17:18:56 »

First of all, great idea. I love silk screen prints and the subject matter here makes it that much better. So here is my $0.02

1) Yes I would buy this
2) $45-$60 shipped
4) Ontario, Canada
5) geekhack - Cherry MX

I like it all being on one print but I think an ideal size for me is 24"x36". If you do decide to split the images up then I would prefer them to be each the size of a standard piece of printer paper or slightly bigger.

My other questions basically reflect exactly what Halverson asked earlier in the thread so I will just quote him here.

As for questions:

Sadly, I don't think the general 18x24 or 24x36 would work due to them not being so rectangular.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 17:20:58 »

1) Yes I would buy this
2) $45-$60 shipped
4) Ontario, Canada
5) geekhack - Cherry MX

As for questions:

Sadly, I don't think the general 18x24 or 24x36 would work due to them not being so rectangular.
These are digital mock ups he said. So he could do anything really.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 17:31:53 »

1) Yes I would buy this
2) $45-$60 shipped
4) Ontario, Canada
5) geekhack - Cherry MX

As for questions:

Except they are four switches, in square shapes. Cherry switches are pretty much square. So what do you propose? Squish the into rectangles? A lot more uneven white space? Potentially you could add two more switches for a 2x6 switch pattern, but that's just a bit much.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 17:39:35 »

1) Yes I would buy this
2) $45-$60 shipped
4) Ontario, Canada
5) geekhack - Cherry MX

As for questions:

Except they are four switches, in square shapes. Cherry switches are pretty much square. So what do you propose? Squish the into rectangles? A lot more uneven white space? Potentially you could add two more switches for a 2x6 switch pattern, but that's just a bit much.
Yea. Maybe just trim a few inches off each of the sides on the squares. Just trim the colored background parts of the 4 images to make them more rectangular. I'm just thinking about frames and I don't know how common/easy large, perfectly square frames are to get. You would know more about that.

Offline Coconut

• otaku4lyfe
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:00:21 »
This IC sounds great, and I would probably buy one around 30$? Bigger is always better  :thumb:

I'd recommend BFK Rives or Stonehenge if you are able to have access to this type of paper. And I would label it in the fine print format which is the number of print (ex. 1/50) or type such as AP as mentioned above, title and signature/year.
BFK is very pricey but Stonehenge is much cheaper and a great alternative. BFK is by far the thickest and sexiest paper I have used haha, I am biased to it  :D
But of course you don't have to use these, but I would definitely recommend them because of their quality

Another idea is you can look into finding a printmaking facility (membership) and use their screens and also tear bar's so that you tear it down to what size you need

GL, i'm looking forward to what happens!

"a whole coconut is a strong coconut" -paicrai

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 19:56:40 »
I have always done my art for therapeutic reasons, and all of it very abstract (hence why I needed graphic design help recently). Never sold a thing. Only had the testes to give a couple away to close friends.

I think your drawings are great and will make a great print. I hope more people see this thread. Perhaps put a link in your sig?

Thanks :) Thank you too for putting a link in your sig for this. I need to work on my hustling/marketing game!

1. I would buy this poster
2. Ideally 15-20, but I would pay up to ~30
3. Same price if they were limited
4. USA
5. I think "Geekhack" would look best on the bottom

Thanks for your response, pwnnarwhal. I've recorded this.

Yes seems like we have consensus on paper!

No giclee- Got it!

"geekhack" - I thought so too so was just throwing it out really. The reason I suggested "geekhack" is that this was triggered by me wanting to 'make' something that the community here can have a part of (in my OP's spirit) but I understand how it can be turned the other way and be thought of as 'representative' of GH. Cherries sounds good, recorded.

No. of prints to make project feasible: I'll post the math in the OP later (will create FAQ section) but I think I need to sell 15-20 prints at around the $35 price point to make this feasible. And this is assuming I can solve the shipping problem - currently looking at less than $10 for surface shipping (6-8 weeks) or $80 for air mail (8-10 working days). Ridiculous. So I need to either find proxies to even out shipping cost or find a better postal service (???).

Hand number and sign - that's the idea when I asked question 3 - if this print run was limited. So yes, I would love to hand number and sign these! And the APs of course.

Hand-pulling these! Labour cost is just not worth it in Singapore for these, and I am a control freak when it comes to artwork I put out!

I'll make Halv feel extra special with edition 1/n  :-*

1) Yes I would buy this
2) $45-$60 shipped
4) Ontario, Canada
5) geekhack - Cherry MX

As for questions:

Thanks for your response, I have recorded it.

As to your questions:

1) 24" x 36" might be too tall (or wide), so the image wouldn't look very good. Some paper size mockups here. Clockwise from top left: 24 x 27, square, 24 x 36 portrait and 36 x 24 landscape. I don't want it to be square though, it looks too symmetrical. Will figure this out as I fine tune the artwork and paper sizes.

2) Type of paper - cream, heavy stock! I believe Coconut has suggested some paper that I will definitely check out the availability of in Singapore.

3) 4 prints instead of 1 big one - I'm leaning more towards keeping it as one poster now, as the concept and visual is more interesting as opposed to 4 seperate prints.

4) test print and templates - You're no. 5 in line. Dibs for these will go in order of response to the interest check!

Thanks again.

This IC sounds great, and I would probably buy one around 30$? Bigger is always better  :thumb:

I'd recommend BFK Rives or Stonehenge if you are able to have access to this type of paper. And I would label it in the fine print format which is the number of print (ex. 1/50) or type such as AP as mentioned above, title and signature/year.
BFK is very pricey but Stonehenge is much cheaper and a great alternative. BFK is by far the thickest and sexiest paper I have used haha, I am biased to it  :D
But of course you don't have to use these, but I would definitely recommend them because of their quality

Another idea is you can look into finding a printmaking facility (membership) and use their screens and also tear bar's so that you tear it down to what size you need

GL, i'm looking forward to what happens!

Thank you for the response and for the paper suggestions. I'll check them out with my local paper dealers. Fine print format - you got it. Halv, be prepared to be so special !

Using screens at printmaking facility - I don't think any publicly accessible printmaking facilities exist here but I might be wrong. Will do a quick search on this.

What are tear bars and what am I tearing down to size? Is this for the paper?

This seems to be going well...  :cool: :))
(and now I just jinxed it)

Will be consolidating some of these questions/discussions into OP in a bit. Off to work! Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2015, 19:59:19 by hydrospell »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:02:23 »
Dibs on 2/x if that's possible. You could even ship mine with halversons!

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:06:55 »
Sounds like a plan!

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:15:01 »
here's a pic of my Colour separation process sketched.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:24:03 »
Awe yay! Can't wait to see this progress! :D

And yea I'm RL buddies with youngmichael so we can ship together.

I'd love to proxy for this to North America, but sadly Canadian shipping prices suck! I could look I to it if need be though :)

Offline Coconut

• otaku4lyfe
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:46:23 »
A tear bar is just a large ruler shaped piece of metal that helps you hold down the paper and tear down the paper to a certain size (if you need too, just a suggestion :))). This helps keep the deckel (frayed edges) looking...deckeled lol its purely aesthetics though haha

did I mention that BFK Rives is made in France? Veery faancey
Im really looking forward to the editions you make  :D

"a whole coconut is a strong coconut" -paicrai

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:32:16 »
I would pay like $150 for the largest size at that price point.
**** would look tight on my wall. LMK how much a 36" square would cost.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:34:08 »

I would also love one that size, sadly I don't think there would be enough folks to do a run of them that size/price.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 00:44:48 »
Also have to factor in shipping with size. With something smaller, you can just ship flat sandwiched between a couple pieces of cardboard with "DO NOT BEND" on it. If you go big, you have no choice but to roll 'em up in heavy tubes that carriers usually charge extra for because of shape and size.

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 01:00:32 »
1) Yes
2) Around $40 plus postage
3) Around $40 plus postage
4) Australia
5) Up to you :D
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:04:46 »
These are the tubes I used to use:

http://www.uline.com/grp_74_heavyduty/Heavy-Duty-Kraft-Tubes

Not a bad price considering the quality.

The fees for the shipping is the ***** as most services consider the shape and size odd and charge you extra.

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 07:11:29 »
Gonna pop back in to reply properly to the responses since I last checked in (still at work now), but damn, looking at strafe's avatar I am already dreaming of this poster style but brobot series omg. :(

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 21:59:17 »
And yea I'm RL buddies with youngmichael so we can ship together.

I'd love to proxy for this to North America, but sadly Canadian shipping prices suck! I could look I to it if need be though :)
Cool stuff - I think if you guys are all cool with it, all the Canadian shipping could go in one tube/package :)

A tear bar is just a large ruler shaped piece of metal that helps you hold down the paper and tear down the paper to a certain size (if you need too, just a suggestion :))). This helps keep the deckel (frayed edges) looking...deckeled lol its purely aesthetics though haha
did I mention that BFK Rives is made in France? Veery faancey
Im really looking forward to the editions you make  :D

Imma head to the paper shop this weekend! Hope they have either BFK or Stonehenge; at any rate I will get some samples and try to take some good photos to show everyone here. Thanks for the info on the tear bar - I really need to go attend a screenprinting class now (only picked it up informally from my fine arts friends when I was in art school), which I am! Going to Glasgow for a summer course in screenprinting in July!!!  >:D

Response noted taylordddd. We'll probably have to stick to a 30x30cm or thereabouts so everyone can afford to frame their prints if they want to, but I'll check what a huge 3ft square print of this would cost. Probably not screen-printed at that point, maybe 4C spot/digital offset or something. But I'll check and if I don't get back please kick my butt (a/k/a PM me). Can I put you down as interested for the normal sized prints, and at what price? Thanks man.

I would also love one that size, sadly I don't think there would be enough folks to do a run of them that size/price.

Same, will check large format printing options and MOQ.

Also have to factor in shipping with size. With something smaller, you can just ship flat sandwiched between a couple pieces of cardboard with "DO NOT BEND" on it. If you go big, you have no choice but to roll 'em up in heavy tubes that carriers usually charge extra for because of shape and size.
Yup that's pretty much the cost I'm not willing to incur at this point unless we can ship to everyone via proxy somehow. Thanks for the link to the cardboard tubes, I think I found something equivalent in Singapore for the same price (so I dont' have to ship these in from US to pack the prints).

1) Yes
2) Around $40 plus postage
3) Around $40 plus postage
4) Australia
5) Up to you :D

Recorded! Thank you.

More updates coming soon.

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 22:33:40 »
Updates and details posted to first page as an FAQ section.

Have currently registered 7 interested people. Only 9-13 more people needed to get me a break even  :))

I'm thinking of going ahead anyway and front the cost for this, seems like too much fun not to do!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 03:21:47 »
Thanks for the update, and nice FAQ.

Give it a little more time and I'm sure people will bite.

And let me know when you get onto this:

:p  ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2015, 03:27:50 by absyrd »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:33:12 »
There that there is something very wrong with the perspective, I think that it's completely off. The stem is misaligned by a great margin.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:34:23 »
Nice, where do we put the phrase: "Designed and patented by Cherry"? Yes, it's true.

Show Image

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:52:28 »
There that there is something very wrong with the perspective, I think that it's completely off. The stem is misaligned by a great margin.

Fair enough, I understand your concern. However this was not meant to be a technical or 'accurate' drawing, I didn't draw this in perspective (with projection lines). In fact this was done free hand, still life style. If this is not your preference for a print like this, no worries :)

Quote from: Giorgio
Nice, where do we put the phrase: "Designed and patented by Cherry"? Yes, it's true.

Haha that's a bit too long. I might do without any text or just do a font design for "MX".

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:53:33 »

Show Image

First I would need to get my hands on a loose THORPE switch. I'm not going to crack open my one and only HHKB for that man. *Hiiiiiint*

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 10:10:11 »
I'm a graphic designer and general keyboard nut with 4 keyboards, one of them being #endgame HHKB 1 (courtesy of Hasu who sold it to me at a damn good price) :)

Have also been benefiting a lot from GH, learning how to solder, hand-wire, flashing Teensies, the whole lot. Always felt like a 'consumer' here just taking in all this stuff all the while. That is, till the moment I saw CPTBadAss' Tactile zine project about a week ago, it occurred to me that I can put my training/skills to use here too.

Which comes to the 'graphic design' part. I would like to create a 4-colour silkscreen print of some #notendgame Cherry MX switches.

Much love. Thank you for sending me all that artwork so far <3.

Answering the questions from the OP:

1) Would you buy this poster? yes
2) How much would you pay for one, incl. shipping? [$25-$45] I'd be comfortable at around $20-30 plus shipping.
3) How much would you pay for one if these are limited to 100pcs only, incl. shipping? [below $45] See above.
4) Where are you based? USA
5) I want to add a hand-lettered title on this poster too. It will be to the bottom of the four switch images. What should it say? If you hand drew this and you're making/selling them, I'd like your signature. Only makes sense IMO. If you wanted to add Geekhack that's fine but art should have the artists name right?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:58:03 »
Oh crap. I sent CPT a messy sketch for tactile.

hydrospell probably sent some beauties. :D

I might have to step up and do something more refined.

And I don't know what this giorgio is on about. It is an artist's representation. You don't need to cite or quote or TM or copyright or whatever. Have you ever seen art before?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 12:52:57 »

It wasn't a rant about the poster, but more about the fact that there are some who say that they love topre and hate cherry products, when in fact the topre switch was invented by cherry, and it is not even covered by a patent anymore.

And I don't know what this giorgio is on about. It is an artist's representation. You don't need to cite or quote or TM or copyright or whatever. Have you ever seen art before?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: [IC] [Art Print] 4C &quot;Cherry&quot; Poster Art
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:33:07 »

It wasn't a rant about the poster, but more about the fact that there are some who say that they love topre and hate cherry products, when in fact the topre switch was invented by cherry, and it is not even covered by a patent anymore.

Regardless, this isn't the place to argue over such things. Please take it to pm instead. We don't need any bad vibes, just some fun art :)

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 19:43:21 »

Much love. Thank you for sending me all that artwork so far <3.

Answering the questions from the OP:

1) Would you buy this poster? yes
2) How much would you pay for one, incl. shipping? [$25-$45] I'd be comfortable at around $20-30 plus shipping.
3) How much would you pay for one if these are limited to 100pcs only, incl. shipping? [below $45] See above.
4) Where are you based? USA
5) I want to add a hand-lettered title on this poster too. It will be to the bottom of the four switch images. What should it say? If you hand drew this and you're making/selling them, I'd like your signature. Only makes sense IMO. If you wanted to add Geekhack that's fine but art should have the artists name right?

Got this down CPT! Thanks for dropping by  :cool:

Oh crap. I sent CPT a messy sketch for tactile.

hydrospell probably sent some beauties. :D

I might have to step up and do something more refined.

Messy sketch is what I sent too. Can't wait for the next issue, probably be bursting with art and keyboard madness!

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 19:47:29 »
Also to expand a bit on the font/letter design at the bottom, this is what I had in mind:

Of course the "MX" is just a sketch at this moment, I'm going to properly hand-letter the font.

On top of this I will sign and number each print.
I think people usually number and sign their prints on the artwork. Do you guys prefer the same or on the back?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 20:15:13 »
Put it on the front! And am I sensing an absyrd X hydrospell collabo?