Author Topic: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide & Discussion  (Read 118552 times)

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide & Discussion
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:02:40 »
Yeah, I am stoked.  Got it in and cleaned it.  Sprayed it down with Fabreeze and wiped it down with a wash cloth with warm water. 

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

What an amazing find! Congrats and enjoy :)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 23:41:58 »
Yeah, I am stoked.  Got it in and cleaned it.  Sprayed it down with Fabreeze and wiped it down with a wash cloth with warm water. 

Awesome! Grats on the purchase. Btw you should raise your bookshelf speakers so that the tweeters are aimed at your ears ^^

Thanks.  Now that I am sitting up higher, I need to raise everything.  Picking up a shelf and some risers from Ikea this week to do a DIY monitor stand, and some angled speaker stands. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:40:58 »
Oh, and... does anyone know how to clean the uphoistery/cloth on the chairs? More specifically on steelcases. My seat is getting dirty from me eating on it all the time :(

I use a Bissel SpotClean: http://amzn.com/B008DBRFBK for spills.  Use the "spray on" upholstery cleaner of your choice in the dirty areas, and then use the Bissel SpotClean - with just warm water in the tank (cold for something like blood or it'll set) - for additional wetting/extraction.  I use this method because I've read that using the "in tank" cleaning solutions can make the chair/carpet get dirtier, faster, and that it's better to spot treat with a separate spray and rinse/extract with just water.

Official directions from the Steelcase site at http://store.steelcase.com/service/product-information/:

Maintaining fabric upholstery
1. Use a vacuum cleaner for regular cleaning. Do not steam clean. 

2.Periodic professional dry cleaning is recommended.

Removing fabric upholstery stains or heavy soil
1. Soak up any excess stain with a cloth. Do not dry the stain completely or it may set. 

2.For most water-borne stains (coffee, fruit juice, washable ink), use an upholstery cleaning solution (such as BISSELL Upholstery Shampoo® or Guardsman Fabri-Kleen®) and follow package directions. 

3.For oil-borne stains, use a dry-cleaning solution at room temperature (never hot) and allow solution to work into stain. Using quick, light strokes, brush stain with a soft bristle brush. Work from outside toward the center to prevent rings. Avoid vigorous rubbing which may damage the nap or force the stain more deeply into the material. Soak up remaining dry-cleaning solution and sponge the fabric with cool water. 

4.Allow fabric to dry completely, then vacuum thoroughly. If stain is still evident, repeat procedure. Several light applications of cleaning solution are more effective/less damaging than one heavy application.

Hope this helps, however belated.  :)
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:25:26 »
POSTUREFIT. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES

the lumbar pad thing is a joke. it's pretty wildly ineffective.

How is the posturefit better? I ask because I tried one out at a home show, and it felt worse to me than the normal lumbar pad, like it didn't really give much lumbar support at all. Obviously I didn't have long to try it, but I was going to buy one, but ended up deciding not to bother.

Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 10:31:32 »
Yeah, I agree with mkawa. The pad thing is terrible.

* jwaz goes to back to craigslisting for a Leap

Offline thoere

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:22:13 »
Does anybody here use a kneeling chair?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 03:41:47 »

I used to before the switch to standing setup.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 10:49:42 »

My mom used to use one for years until companies started coming out with good ergonomic chairs.  She has been a legal secretary for 35 years and tries everything for a while if it will potentially be more comfortable.  I didn't mind the kneeling chair, but it put a bit of pressure on my knees (quite damaged due to riding dirtbikes for 20+ years).  It does force you to have good posture though as there is no backrest. 

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:16:09 »
I'm getting a small office with a friend just to get out of the house a bit.  Being that home will still be my main working location, I'm keeping my Herman Miller Embody there.  So I did a little bit of Craigslist watching and traded an old iPhone 4S for a Steelcase Leap.  Other than a few light scuffs and a very slightly fuzzing seat, it's in great condition.  Nice second seat for me!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:19:41 »
I'm getting a small office with a friend just to get out of the house a bit.  Being that home will still be my main working location, I'm keeping my Herman Miller Embody there.  So I did a little bit of Craigslist watching and traded an old iPhone 4S for a Steelcase Leap.  Other than a few light scuffs and a very slightly fuzzing seat, it's in great condition.  Nice second seat for me!

Nice pickup.  You will be happy. 

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:24:38 »
im still rocking my Embody after 3 years with it, but 3 years of heavy pressure on the arm rests has caused them to squeek and no longer ratchet. too lazy to either get it fixed by a vendor or just buy the armrests parts and do it myself (seems doable). Even with that, it is still the best chair for me; i sit for 12+ hours at my computer because i work from home mostly, it keeps me energized (not quite relaxed) throughout the day and supports my weight (300+ lb). Only thing is i do miss head rests from those old big executive chairs i used before this one, my neck sometimes seems tired and hurts.

i just saw that post from Badwrench about the $20 Leap, that is one hell of a score.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:46:45 »
Glod - Did you buy it new?  If so, then the warranty will replace them no questions.  They go out of their way to make the process super easy and painless.  I <3 HM.

(Yeah, Badwrench got the steal of the century there!)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:50:24 »
it was new (floor model but still new) and most likely under warranty, i think its like something insane like 10 year warranty or something, im just really really lazy to bring it in to be fixed, i doubt they come to me for free. plus its like my only good chair. everything is still good with it except the arms so i think ill wait like until one of them falls off to get me to go get it fixed.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 23:01:25 »
I haven't had my Embody in for service, but I had a Aeron for 10+ years before this.  After calling and reading serial number or whatever, they would usually just send me parts in the mail.  I got a seat pan, hydraulics, etc that way.. over a few different instances.  For bigger things, Herman Miler would ask me to take it to their warehouse to get fixed.  I told them it was over an hour away and they had it picked up at my house, fixed, and returned... all free of charge.  Not sure if your luck would be the same, but point is... give them a call. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 20:27:22 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I dig the black and red….bright automotive red is an awesome accent to black. But I've had a black surface desk before and is aways looks dirty, I needed to wipe it down every other day which was annoying, so I didn't do it.

BACK ON TOPIC:
I know I've posted in a previous ergo chair thread, but I'll regurgitate some of my opinions here:

-Finding a chair, the act of locating, sitting, assessing….can be an expensive and royal pain in the butt. It has been for me. I've tried a couple times going to major office outfitters (places in Silicon Valley that outfit Google, Facebook, etc) and specialty ergo seating stores, and sat, jumped, slept, ate, had chair races, and otherwise harassed the help with the main focus of finding 'The Perfect Chair'. All I've come up with is that it may take "fully using a chair in your work environment for a couple weeks" to be able to accurately assess it's impact on you. Also, I doubt for most people there is one perfect seating solution. Your desk, how you use, sit, work affect the chair and it's performance.

-I agree with Kawa, that chair advertising, popularity, price, design, and features don't matter nearly as much as how it fits, supports, and allows movement for YOU. Obviously comfort is a primary issue. Primarily keep in mind regardless with any chair it's not a great thing to sit for hours without standing up and walking about (like on an extended airline flight). Keep those juices flowing. I'm now a believer that a combination of sit-stand, kneeling, and conventional seating should probably be mixed together.

I have an Aeron size B with the fully loaded features, and a VendorGear headrest (headrests are mandatory for me). I only have the lumbar pad not the PostureFit (I'm not a fan of the lumbar pad) and I'm a lumbar support kinda guy. Peeps that sit in the drivers seat of my truck say "What's that pushing into my back?" because I have the lumbar support almost fully cranked. I bought the Posturefit but it didn't get installed and now it's gone :( I've never tried the PostureFit at all, seems that I would love it. The Aeron is a fine chair, perhaps overrated, perhaps not. I like it but not totally in love with it, but I could do worse. I'd like to be able to push my shoulder blades/arms behind me (more movement) and that requires a smaller backrest just behind the spine and not the shoulders. I like to recline, put feet up, slouch (can't slouch in an Aeron). My desking/monitor/keyboard situation is transitional, so it's difficult to have a 'perfect setup'. I'm of the belief that if people had 2 different chairs, maybe drastically different, and switched during the day/days, could be a good choice.

I've been interested in this manufacturer (the SomaForm and SomaComfort models) for a few years and have meant to go to their factory to check it out. Totally customizable, check out the order form:
http://www.somaergo.com/content/chairs/SomaSCSFspecpg_2012.08.15.pdf
Their website:
http://www.somaergo.com
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 22:48:31 »
I've never tried the PostureFit at all, seems that I would love it. The Aeron is a fine chair, perhaps overrated, perhaps not. I like it but not totally in love with it, but I could do worse. I'd like to be able to push my shoulder blades/arms behind me (more movement) and that requires a smaller backrest just behind the spine and not the shoulders.

PostureFit
I had an Aeron for ~10+ years, and got the PostureFit a few years into it. It's a *huge* upgrade to me! Pushes lower on your back/butt which really seemed to align me, unlike the lumbar.

Aeron Overrated..
I think it's not overrated at all, but probably overpriced at this point in time being such an old design with no updates (beyond the posturefit).  If you buy new, they're about the same price as they were in 2000... that's crazy to me. :)  Resell is good on them though... you rarely see a fully adjustable one sell cheap.

Shoulder blades/arms
Yes, this was my biggest complaint too.  (With most chairs actually.)  The Embody is perfect for that, though pricey.

Anyway, I love the Aeron and probably would have stuck with it if I hadn't sat in an Embody.  The Embody isn't perfect, but it has a lot of imediate comfort that the Aeron doesn't have.  (Both have long term comfort to me.)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:26:15 »
PostureFit
I had an Aeron for ~10+ years, and got the PostureFit a few years into it. It's a *huge* upgrade to me! Pushes lower on your back/butt which really seemed to align me, unlike the lumbar.
I'm almost ready to spring for another PostureFit for my home office Aeron again...

In the next 30-60 days I'm going back into an office environment for work. Being the GH geek that I am, a Kinesis keyboard will be going with me, and in a period of time, my own chair. I'll take time to start reacquainting myself with the old and the new seating options. It's still a time-sucking chore but a worthwhile one.

I haven't even touched the topic of desking...
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 23:48:27 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 02:04:03 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I dig the black and red….bright automotive red is an awesome accent to black. But I've had a black surface desk before and is aways looks dirty, I needed to wipe it down every other day which was annoying, so I didn't do it.

BACK ON TOPIC:
I know I've posted in a previous ergo chair thread, but I'll regurgitate some of my opinions here:

-Finding a chair, the act of locating, sitting, assessing….can be an expensive and royal pain in the butt. It has been for me. I've tried a couple times going to major office outfitters (places in Silicon Valley that outfit Google, Facebook, etc) and specialty ergo seating stores, and sat, jumped, slept, ate, had chair races, and otherwise harassed the help with the main focus of finding 'The Perfect Chair'. All I've come up with is that it may take "fully using a chair in your work environment for a couple weeks" to be able to accurately assess it's impact on you. Also, I doubt for most people there is one perfect seating solution. Your desk, how you use, sit, work affect the chair and it's performance.

-I agree with Kawa, that chair advertising, popularity, price, design, and features don't matter nearly as much as how it fits, supports, and allows movement for YOU. Obviously comfort is a primary issue. Primarily keep in mind regardless with any chair it's not a great thing to sit for hours without standing up and walking about (like on an extended airline flight). Keep those juices flowing. I'm now a believer that a combination of sit-stand, kneeling, and conventional seating should probably be mixed together.

I have an Aeron size B with the fully loaded features, and a VendorGear headrest (headrests are mandatory for me). I only have the lumbar pad not the PostureFit (I'm not a fan of the lumbar pad) and I'm a lumbar support kinda guy. Peeps that sit in the drivers seat of my truck say "What's that pushing into my back?" because I have the lumbar support almost fully cranked. I bought the Posturefit but it didn't get installed and now it's gone :( I've never tried the PostureFit at all, seems that I would love it. The Aeron is a fine chair, perhaps overrated, perhaps not. I like it but not totally in love with it, but I could do worse. I'd like to be able to push my shoulder blades/arms behind me (more movement) and that requires a smaller backrest just behind the spine and not the shoulders. I like to recline, put feet up, slouch (can't slouch in an Aeron). My desking/monitor/keyboard situation is transitional, so it's difficult to have a 'perfect setup'. I'm of the belief that if people had 2 different chairs, maybe drastically different, and switched during the day/days, could be a good choice.

I've been interested in this manufacturer (the SomaForm and SomaComfort models) for a few years and have meant to go to their factory to check it out. Totally customizable, check out the order form:
http://www.somaergo.com/content/chairs/SomaSCSFspecpg_2012.08.15.pdf
Their website:
http://www.somaergo.com

Thanks.  I wanted something that would separate my area from the rest of the apartment, but not be obnoxious.  I originally had red lighting in my pc to match and a red back-lit Microsoft X4 (before gh and all the mechanical boards).   I was a nice clean look and went decent with the rest of the apartment - black/grey/brown.  I do agree about the cleaning, but being the ocd person I am, I clean the apartment top to bottom about 3-4 times a week  :rolleyes:

I agree about finding the right chair.  I had been shopping around for a long time before I came across the deal I found.  I got lucky in that it was one of the few chairs that felt comfortable to me right when I sat in it.  I tend to prefer a fairly firm seat pad, and the ability to move the seat forward to make sure my whole leg is supported.  Most chairs I have owned had my leg only half supported, or were so deep, that I couldn't get my butt all the way back before hitting the back of my knees (I have a very short inseam). 

Those soma chairs look pretty nice.  Love the options of the back to get the shoulder area narrow, but still have a head rest. 

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:33:10 »
Because of this thread I found a local seller of used all black Embody chairs for $800, some flawless, some with office scuffs. Gonna try putting ass-in-bucket and see how it is.

Information is power.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:40:31 »
PostureFit
I'm almost ready to spring for another PostureFit for my home office Aeron again...

In the next 30-60 days I'm going back into an office environment for work. Being the GH geek that I am, a Kinesis keyboard will be going with me, and in a period of time, my own chair. I'll take time to start reacquainting myself with the old and the new seating options. It's still a time-sucking chore but a worthwhile one.

I haven't even touched the topic of desking...

But if the Kinesis is at the office, what will you type on at home??

Because of this thread I found a local seller of used all black Embody chairs for $800, some flawless, some with office scuffs. Gonna try putting ass-in-bucket and see how it is.

That's how I found my Steelcase as well. Local used office supply furniture store. Some of the best money I've spent this year.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:43:37 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Input Nirvana

Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide &amp; Discussion
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 12:37:19 »
I haz many Kinesisezzz

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: The Ergonomic Task Chair Guide &amp; Discussion
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 15:22:52 »
I haz many Kinesisezzz

Nice, one for each day of the week.  They will never wear out. 

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 20:46:19 »
Upon closer examination, I've discovered that the armrests on the Embody will may not accept the chair-arm kit for the split Kinesis. I'll have to see how the arm pad actually is attached to the arm.

And no headrest.

Deal breakers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2013, 20:56:03 by Input Nirvana »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 01:17:54 »
yeah no headrest did kind of suck with the embody but i got used to it.

Offline Saturn

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:12:21 »
Is it worth it to take a gamble on a Leap without ever having had the chance to try one?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 09:25:25 »
yeah no headrest did kind of suck with the embody but i got used to it.

Having a headrest makes me fall asleep. :)

But, you may want to check out Humanscale Freedom (w/ Headrest).  I borrowed one from a friend for ~3 months long ago, and really really liked it.  That said, reviews are mixed depending on what you're looking for in a chair, so certainly something you should try if you haven't.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 09:27:37 »
Is it worth it to take a gamble on a Leap without ever having had the chance to try one?

I don't know, maybe a used one or if you get a good deal.  (because resell would make the loss less painful)  But a new chair... at minimum make sure you get a good return policy.  (Over a month... 90 days at least.)  It takes a while to figure out if you like it.  And I've seen so many people that couldn't stand a chair that the bulk of people found really good.  Such a personal preference thing.

That said, the Leap is *very* adjustable.  More so than many ergo chairs.  So odds are while you may not fall in love, you won't hate it. :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 09:28:21 »

I'm a big SteelCase fan but like others have said, you should try out chairs if you can. Just because the Leap and Amia fit me doesn't mean it will fit you.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:50:04 »

Perhaps buy it from a vendor with a generous return policy just incase that you don't like it.

Since I first made this thread, my back problems have pretty much gone away. I probably slouch a bit less than I used to, and I've adjusted my setup to be a bit more ergonomic than before. My job (walking around), and exercising (working out), did help a lot with alleviating my previous pains. The Steelcase Amia feels a lot more comfortable than it used to as well! But I still need to eventualy clean this thing >.>

Also... GH notifications don't work properly. I have not gotten a single email notification for this thread =/
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 22:30:37 »
Chairs can be a rough purchase. I've been to several major suppliers that outfit companies and have almost all of the chairs you see here and elsewhere in one location. That helps you identify things you like, don't like, and compare various performance. BUT, it doesn't really do it for me to get a feel of using daily.

One interesting aspect that bothers me is that I may sit in a chair that is initially the most comfortable, but it's not good for longer term use. Very frustrating. Then, you have the whole idea that maybe you're a person that can use almost anything and it will be fine, verses someone who can try everything and not be satisfied with any.

I can tell you after spending too much time at a few of these places, it's definitely not the same as sitting at a desk and actually working for a couple hours.

I'm about to start (who am I kidding, RE-START) a project to create the ultimate desking system for maximum flexibility, usability, configurability, comfort, etc.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2013, 22:32:33 by Input Nirvana »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:28:14 »
anyone see this new steelcase chair
http://store.steelcase.com/brochures/gesture

ergonomics look similar to the embody but looks like it has a less strange look, and slightly cheaper than the HM. very interested in trying it one day.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 13:00:58 »
anyone see this new steelcase chair
http://store.steelcase.com/brochures/gesture

ergonomics look similar to the embody but looks like it has a less strange look, and slightly cheaper than the HM. very interested in trying it one day.

Very sleek looking; kinda like an upgraded Amia. Not many options for customization though it seems, since it's supposed to auto adjust? Interesting, would love to try it out at a store.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 13:04:19 »
I hadn't seen that.  Seems like a nice chair!

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:46:18 »
Is the Herman Miller Aeron considered worthwhile still?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:44:12 »

Of course it is, good design and ergo is still good design and ergo.

One thing I always liked about mesh chairs is that you don't get too warm. I'm a pretty warm person to start with, so that's a particularly nice feature, especially if you are in a warm climate.

I tried the Posturefit lumbar support for Aeron this week, very different than the lumbar pad. Doesn't push in a much as I thought it might, but seemed to give good support…I'm a lumbar support kinda guy. I would just max it out 90% of the time and call it good. Plus, I can get it for $40
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:46:37 by Input Nirvana »

Offline stancato9

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:51:52 »
Is anyone familiar with any low end ergonomic chairs for someone with an extremely small budget? :blank:
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:59:22 »
Is anyone familiar with any low end ergonomic chairs for someone with an extremely small budget? :blank:

There are too many cheaper chairs out there, and usually without much adjustments on them. I think you'll have to just try out different chairs in this case to see if they work for you, if you're on a budget. The seasonal herman miller and steelcase sales are good chances to get the Sayl or Amia.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 22:10:13 »
Another option:

I found an Aeron repair guy in the SF bay area on Yelp. This guy is crazy good, sells parts, chairs and provides service. Maybe you can find someone similar in your area that deals in chairs that you're interested in and maybe get a smoking dealio.

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 23:54:00 »
I personally use a Herman Miller Mirra chair, and it's great.  If you are in the market for a high end chair, I would highly recommend this website:

http://www.officedesignsoutlet.com/

I know that they are an authorized Herman Miller reseller, and any Herman Miller chairs purchased through them get the full factory warranty.  I purchased my refurbished Mirra from them, and it was in perfect condition when I received it and it's still going strong 2 1/2 years later.

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline eisenhower

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:00:02 »

Of course it is, good design and ergo is still good design and ergo.

But there are now good ergo chairs that aren't $600

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 03:53:02 »
So, after trying some "ergo" office chairs I came to the conclusion that "ergo" never equals "comfy" for me, some even caused back-pain after a short amount of time. In the search for a workaround I remembered this uber comfy automatic adjusting TV/relax chairs called "Stressless" which I checked back then when looking for home cinema furniture (ended up getting a couch because getting multiple chairs was too expensive and kinda overkill). So, I wondered if I could build some support-construction with wheels to us em like a office chair, that would be heaven, and while doing some researching I realized that they now offer office versions of their TV chairs...

48709-0 48711-1

Granted, they are kinda expensive, but build quality is top notch, you get a 10 year warranty on base-construction + mechanics, the posture adaptive mechanism works great, and its the most comfy chair I ever used. Yesterday I went to a local dealer to check em out, ended up buying one (model "Reno" with tough black lether and chrome base), but delivery will take 4-6 weeks. Gonna post feedback after using it for a month or so.  :cool:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 02:45:46 »
Another option:

I found an Aeron repair guy in the SF bay area on Yelp. This guy is crazy good, sells parts, chairs and provides service. Maybe you can find someone similar in your area that deals in chairs that you're interested in and maybe get a smoking dealio.
there is a gigantic cloud of aerons in the bay area from overfunded under-intellect startups buying stupid **** then going bust. unfortunately, most other places don't have the same concentration of people throwing money away on ill-thought-out venture capital. socal and PNW are ok for finding aeron aggregators, but there is really nothing compared to the south bay area.

that said, the aeron aggregators in the south bay will often ship, as they're most likely to end up with large inventories during downturns when there are few local customers.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 02:52:45 »
Another option:

there is a gigantic cloud of aerons in the bay area from overfunded under-intellect startups buying stupid **** then going bust. unfortunately, most other places don't have the same concentration of people throwing money away on ill-thought-out venture capital. socal and PNW are ok for finding aeron aggregators, but there is really nothing compared to the south bay area.

that said, the aeron aggregators in the south bay will often ship, as they're most likely to end up with large inventories during downturns when there are few local customers.

I live in the South Bay :).
HEHEHEHEHEHEHE
 :p
Now I just need to find these guys and get hooked up.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 14:13:20 »
lol when I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be about fitting ergodoxes into the armrests of ergonomic chairs :p
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 22:02:19 »
So, after trying some "ergo" office chairs I came to the conclusion that "ergo" never equals "comfy" for me, some even caused back-pain after a short amount of time. In the search for a workaround I remembered this uber comfy automatic adjusting TV/relax chairs called "Stressless" which I checked back then when looking for home cinema furniture (ended up getting a couch because getting multiple chairs was too expensive and kinda overkill). So, I wondered if I could build some support-construction with wheels to us em like a office chair, that would be heaven, and while doing some researching I realized that they now offer office versions of their TV chairs...

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Granted, they are kinda expensive, but build quality is top notch, you get a 10 year warranty on base-construction + mechanics, the posture adaptive mechanism works great, and its the most comfy chair I ever used. Yesterday I went to a local dealer to check em out, ended up buying one (model "Reno" with tough black lether and chrome base), but delivery will take 4-6 weeks. Gonna post feedback after using it for a month or so.  8)

I have 2 Stressless chairs/ottomans at home and I think they are great. I've debated getting the office chair model. I've also thought about getting the laptop/computer arm for $300 to add to the Stressless. I tried it out in the store and I'm not convinced as of yet.

Another option:

I live in the South Bay :) .
HEHEHEHEHEHEHE
 :p
Now I just need to find these guys and get hooked up.

Southbay? There are a buttload. They advertise everywhere, try Craigslist too. I've been toying with selling mine (or adding a PostureFit lumbar support to it) so I've noticed the ads. Mine has cloth armrests so arms don't get stuck to the vinyl armrests.

lol when I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be about fitting ergodoxes into the armrests of ergonomic chairs :p

You can:

53252-0

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 22:30:43 »
This just came to my attention on DT:

http://www.mposition.pl/en

Check out the goofy Cherry keyswitch sounds while the little guy is "typing" on the laptop with airport terminal sounds in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq199TQid-A

I'd like to meet the girl you hear in the background saying "HEL-looo". Sounds totally rockin sexy. Damn accents.

For the patient… a mock up design process. At least there's some interesting music. If you live in an elevator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKU7_06v6os

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 05:39:58 »

I tried the Posturefit lumbar support for Aeron this week, very different than the lumbar pad. Doesn't push in a much as I thought it might, but seemed to give good support…I'm a lumbar support kinda guy. I would just max it out 90% of the time and call it good. Plus, I can get it for $40

Hi Input Nirvana,

Did you end up getting the Posturefit? Curious to know if you think it's better than the pad.

I'm not sure whether to go for it or not yet. I'm also trying out a new chair, so may sell the Aeron. 

Hag Capisco.

The colour is a bit bright  :D

Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline kod

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:19:06 »
I'm really curious how that capisco works out, especially the taller sitting posture or "backwards" facing on the chair.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:51:34 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Granted, they are kinda expensive, but build quality is top notch, you get a 10 year warranty on base-construction + mechanics, the posture adaptive mechanism works great, and its the most comfy chair I ever used. Yesterday I went to a local dealer to check em out, ended up buying one (model "Reno" with tough black lether and chrome base), but delivery will take 4-6 weeks. Gonna post feedback after using it for a month or so.  :cool:

Actually using it for 2 weeks now, so far I'm happy!

Here are some images...

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 10:30:55 »
I've been using a Leap v2 at my new office location for a few months now and I gotta say it's the best chair I've sat in.  I'm going to be replacing my home Aeron with a Leap v2 sometime soon.  I really like the Aeron's materials but I've never truly been able to keep a straight posture comfortably in the Aeron.  I have to have the chair pretty  low so it doesn't make my feet uncomfortable and then I tend to either lean back too to get my back comfortable (which isn't ideal for typing/gaming) so as a result I'm always hunching forward in it.

BTW -- if you're in NYC craigslist is the way to go for these things.  I got my Aeron for $200 and am in the process of getting a Leap v2 for the same price.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2014, 10:38:08 by mljs54 »
ReΛlforce 87UB EK