geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Why you should consider the Deskthority wiki again.

(1/9) > >>

adevriesc:
I'm a contributor over at the DT wiki and I'd like to extend my opinion.

I think you should scratch the rebuild project and move over to the DT wiki unless you plan on writing exclusively about artisan caps and modern keyboard developments unique to GH and Reddit. Let me explain why... (And I think I speak for DT as a whole, though dual members are welcome to correct me.)

1) You are welcome at DT. We don't expect you to participate in the forums. We don't care about the traffic on our wiki. We simply want to work with you to create the best possible resource for keyboard enthusiasts everywhere. Hell, you might even educate *us* in the process. We know, relative to you, little about custom caps and other new developments that have taken the market by storm. Someday what you're doing will be keyboard history, and I think that's valuable.

2) Using the DT wiki would serve the entire keyboard community by bringing people together. I, for one, don't like the tension and lack of cooperation that seems to be the status quo. A team project could be a step in the right direction.

3) The DT wiki is already there. There will inevitably be some repeated pages if you continue this project. There already are, though you only have 4 pages (see "Cherry"). It would also solidify the knowledge base in one location, which would be convenient in terms of searches.

4) There is no logical reason why the DT wiki cannot meet the needs of both our communities. That argument is massively, completely, and utterly invalid. Does Wikipedia meet the needs of worldwide communities ranging from academics to garbage men? Absolutely. Why can't the DT wiki do the same?

Frankly... I'd like to see some of the lively "maker" spirit at GH documented in the DT wiki.

Thank you for considering my opinion. If you still believe that making your own wiki is best, kudos and best of luck.

FrostyToast:
It is still important to have multiple resources to refer to.
As someone who is fond of the social sciences such as history, you can't just be content with a single source of information.

It's exhausting to have to tell people something so essential about the word of information.

bocahgundul:
I agree with frostytoast!

Dongulator:

FLFisherman:

--- Quote from: 8BitCartoon on Tue, 09 February 2016, 19:45:48 ---Show Image

--- End quote ---

:thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version