Author Topic: [GB] budget96 - Extras Available  (Read 158061 times)

Offline digiNZM

Re: [GB] budget96 - Extras Available
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 14:27:58 »
Im curious why this was not submitted to QMK so that others could benefit. I'll be building my b96 pretty soon too.

Its now merged in QMK. Happy building your b96!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #401 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 16:11:51 »
Im curious why this was not submitted to QMK so that others could benefit. I'll be building my b96 pretty soon too.

Its now merged in QMK. Happy building your b96!

Woop woop!

Offline draecas

« Reply #402 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 15:56:40 »
I'm having some issues with my board and I'm curious if anyone has any ideas.

When I plug my board in, I get a very, very short RGB fiash, then the keyboard goes dead. It then will remain dead on unplug/replug until I let it sit unplugged for a while.

I've looked and I don't see any solder bridging, but I might be missing something. Any ideas what might cause something like this, so I could narrow my investigation down?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #403 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 16:27:35 »

When I plug my board in, I get a very, very short RGB fiash, then the keyboard goes dead. It then will remain dead on unplug/replug until I let it sit unplugged for a while.

I've looked and I don't see any solder bridging, but I might be missing something. Any ideas what might cause something like this, so I could narrow my investigation down?

Does holding LCtrl while plugging it it set it to bootloader and detected by BMC still? Sounds like a signal issue and I'm thinking either firmware could use a reflash or your connection to the board is being finicky.

Offline kmfmppl

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 12:48:05 »
Finally received my board today, and both middle and hipro layers are broken at multiple points. Pretty disappointing.

Offline draecas

« Reply #405 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 17:46:22 »

Does holding LCtrl while plugging it it set it to bootloader and detected by BMC still? Sounds like a signal issue and I'm thinking either firmware could use a reflash or your connection to the board is being finicky.

I had it working ok for a little while, but now it's back to this original issue. Holding down LCtrl while plugging in does not make it show up in BMC.

When plugging it in, some of the underglow LEDs flash on for a fraction of a second. It changes which ones light up every time, and as I repeat plugging in they eventually stop.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #406 on: Fri, 18 October 2019, 15:30:55 »

I had it working ok for a little while, but now it's back to this original issue. Holding down LCtrl while plugging in does not make it show up in BMC.

When plugging it in, some of the underglow LEDs flash on for a fraction of a second. It changes which ones light up every time, and as I repeat plugging in they eventually stop.

That sounds like a connection issue, maybe in the cable/port or possibly a cold solder joint at the controller that didn't show up until a few power cycles. Try plugging in the board while pressing on the controller; if it powers on like normal then the issue is probably there, if not then it could be something like the fuse choking power for some reason. Maybe also try wiggling the cable around in the port while it's plugged in to see if it does anything.

Finally received my board today, and both middle and hipro layers are broken at multiple points. Pretty disappointing.

Sorry to hear about that, the thick frost really didn't have a fun time in shipping for several orders. I presume you're one of the EU orders due to when you've received your order, hit up David of Mechboards.co.uk, he's looking to run some acrylic for EU orders that were affected.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 October 2019, 15:32:38 by donutcat »

Offline kmfmppl

« Reply #407 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 03:17:15 »

Sorry to hear about that, the thick frost really didn't have a fun time in shipping for several orders. I presume you're one of the EU orders due to when you've received your order, hit up David of Mechboards.co.uk, he's looking to run some acrylic for EU orders that were affected.

Will do, thanks for your reply :thumb:

Offline Samacle

« Reply #408 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:00:56 »
I've been having some issues with keys on row 13 (U,I,F10,} etc.) stopping working after some time. I re-soldered those switches which initially seemed to fix the problem but then after 30 minutes or so the same issue would reappear. I started poking around and jumping switches with a wire and eventually managed to regain functionality for a while although I don't know what specifically solved it. After transporting the keyboard in a rucksack, the issue reappeared.

I've noticed that if I apply pressure from below the pcb near the caps-lock lshift area i can get the keys to register. This stops working when I let go.

Any ideas?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #409 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:42:26 »
I've been having some issues with keys on row 13 (U,I,F10,} etc.) stopping working after some time. I re-soldered those switches which initially seemed to fix the problem but then after 30 minutes or so the same issue would reappear. I started poking around and jumping switches with a wire and eventually managed to regain functionality for a while although I don't know what specifically solved it. After transporting the keyboard in a rucksack, the issue reappeared.

I've noticed that if I apply pressure from below the pcb near the caps-lock lshift area i can get the keys to register. This stops working when I let go.

Any ideas?

Sounds like it may be a cold joint right at the controller. May be lucky enough to just touch the pin with the iron to reflow it and it'll be fine.

It's this top corner pin here.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2019, 01:36:30 by donutcat »

Offline chris_1865

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 14:48:52 »
Hi! I've recently finding a 96 keyboard kit and interested in Budget96, but I have a few questions on it:
1. I know the middle arcylic case is sold out. Is there any imformation about the arcylic plate so that I can DIY myself or appoint to local makers? (Inmformation be like dimesion, hole size etc.)
2. Does the case kit contain all the elememts like screws if I built in "skeleton" style?

Thx for answering!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 20:18:23 »
Hi! I've recently finding a 96 keyboard kit and interested in Budget96, but I have a few questions on it:
1. I know the middle arcylic case is sold out. Is there any imformation about the arcylic plate so that I can DIY myself or appoint to local makers? (Inmformation be like dimesion, hole size etc.)
2. Does the case kit contain all the elememts like screws if I built in "skeleton" style?

Thx for answering!

1. I've got the cut files for the mid at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FyLKrgFOsQkQp3bT5wgdpDVxjnD7ePCH and I'll also make sure this link makes it to the first post. This'll let you send the cut file to a cutting service or Jolimon himself and get a mid cut for it. Stock mid size is 9mm thick but that's a bit hard to come by so you may want to go 3x 3mm.

2. Case kit includes both plates, standoffs, screws, and bumpons; everything needed to assemble a functional case for the board. Do note that if you get a middle cut you'll need slightly different standoffs; The ones for the middle are skinnier to allow more thickness on the cut middles for durability, the included ones for the skeleton case are slightly bigger to better hold up the plates because of the countersunk hole size.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #412 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 03:50:02 »
Hi,

Got my hands on a budget96 board and case and i really enjoyed building it as my first keyboard build but i do have an issue(besides the cracked acrylic but i just glued that :) ); after i flashed it with QMK firmware one of the RGB LEDs stopped working(???). The bottom left corner one. Worked great with bootmapper but i needed the QMK firmware to do what i wanted with layers and stuff. Is this a definition issue in QMK somewhere? I assume it is but im not boss enough to know :) Thanks for any help  ;D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 04:00:19 »
Hi,

Got my hands on a budget96 board and case and i really enjoyed building it as my first keyboard build but i do have an issue(besides the cracked acrylic but i just glued that :) ); after i flashed it with QMK firmware one of the RGB LEDs stopped working(???). The bottom left corner one. Worked great with bootmapper but i needed the QMK firmware to do what i wanted with layers and stuff. Is this a definition issue in QMK somewhere? I assume it is but im not boss enough to know :) Thanks for any help  ;D

u might have to manually set the amount of leds in the config file
I love Elzy

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #414 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 05:25:02 »
Hi,

u might have to manually set the amount of leds in the config file

big thanks, the amount of RGB LEDs is by default set to 16 when there are 18 LEDs on the PCB, works now!!!  ;D

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #415 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 08:20:29 »

big thanks, the amount of RGB LEDs is by default set to 16 when there are 18 LEDs on the PCB, works now!!!  ;D

Yeh, it's even a weird number for BMC where the default numbers jump from 16-20 with no 18 option, but when I flash the PCBs for testing I make sure it's set in there.

Offline blrm

« Reply #416 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 19:56:05 »
I'm looking forward to building this board once the box white switches and stabs arrive. Does it support an 1800 set of key caps?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #417 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 21:56:05 »
I'm looking forward to building this board once the box white switches and stabs arrive. Does it support an 1800 set of key caps?

I'm not up to date on all possible 1800 options but I *think* it will support most of them with the only issue I see being 1-1-1 on the left side due to a mounting spot. You can double check against the board compat below

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 11:35:58 »
Built this for out in my garage shop. Used the worlds worst switch hako true for the box switch feature of being resistant to moisture and debris. Stabs are mix and matched leftover pcb mounts. Caps are nkpc from aliexpress. Whole thing for under $90 and i'm happy with it.  :thumb:

-Dana

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #419 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 13:59:50 »
Built this for out in my garage shop. Used the worlds worst switch hako true for the box switch feature of being resistant to moisture and debris. Stabs are mix and matched leftover pcb mounts. Caps are nkpc from aliexpress. Whole thing for under $90 and i'm happy with it.  :thumb:

Show Image

It’s a rugged mutt.  I like it.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #420 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 01:30:48 »
So here is a strange thing that happened to my Budget96:

When i got it i put Gateron silent brown switches in it so it was at a decent sound level to use at work. Did a lot of layout work in QMK and ended up really happy with it. The only thing was that i kind of wanted more tactile switches.

Got word of the Keebworks Tacits, a silent T1 and bought a bunch as soon as they went live on the store. Took me a few days but i finally got around to swapping the switches over, was a huge pain because my solder sucker broke halfway through the de soldering process but it got done. Put it all back together, plugged it in, underglow kicked on and i tested a few switches. Glorious, very good feel! Started typing a little, pressed space and nothing. No space...

Ok ill take it back appart, lets try shorting over the legs? nope. Worked for a some random alphas i tried but not space. Ok, PCB must be damaged? No visible damage on the under side. Solder looks good so its not that. Ended up giving up, going to bed and leaving it for a few days. Got back to it yesterday, hadnt magically fixed itself, shorting over the legs/pads didnt work any better this time around either. Removed the switch to see if there was any damage on the top side of the PCB, didnt see any damage. Tried to short the pads with the switch removed and... it worked???? Put the switch back in exactly the same and now it works.

Extremely odd issue but im loving this board with Tacits. Sounds great, feels great :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #421 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 12:06:55 »
Maybe the diode for that switch is loose and you pushed it back into place while handling?

Offline phxrbn

• tech. design. real estate.
« Reply #422 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 16:59:32 »
Just bought a Budget96- having trouble resetting it to flash a new layout- plugging usb + k00 (L-CTRL). Is the reset protocol something else?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #423 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 22:57:47 »
Just bought a Budget96- having trouble resetting it to flash a new layout- plugging usb + k00 (L-CTRL). Is the reset protocol something else?

That seems to be doing it for me, holding LCtrl while plugging then I can flash default firmware with BMC.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #424 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 20:48:29 »
I don't know about the low profile version, but I own the hi-pro budget96 case and it is by far one of the best sounding and feeling keyboards I own.  Just thought I would thank you again for this gem.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #425 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:20:40 »
I don't know about the low profile version, but I own the hi-pro budget96 case and it is by far one of the best sounding and feeling keyboards I own.  Just thought I would thank you again for this gem.

I had no idea there was a hi pro version tbh but the LP version sounds really good and is very nice to type on in general.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #426 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:01:46 »
Here’s my beauty at the moment.

237964-0

Offline Kavik

« Reply #427 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 14:42:33 »

(Attachment Link)

Wow, that looks pretty nice!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 15:49:46 »

(Attachment Link)
What keycaps are those?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #429 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 16:41:35 »

(Attachment Link)
What keycaps are those?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

GMK coniferus

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #430 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 20:50:31 »
https://github.com/DonutCables/Budget96-Files

I believe I said some time ago I would be making these files easily available, and after a reminder I finally got to it. Hipro files aren't there yet because I need to go grab copies from Jolimon, but they'll be up when I do. A hardware list will also be added once I've checked back over that since I've slightly forgotten dimensions used.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 01:21:12 »
Wow, I had no idea there was a hipro version of the Budget96. Makes me wish I was around for the original GB even more. I know Donutcat has pcb's available on his site, but is there anywhere to currently get a case for a budget96? or is the only option currently having one cut/made?

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 09:59:51 »
Finally got around to building mine today - with Kailh BOX Burnt Oranges and GMK Phantom. They did say BOX were 'heavy' but this is going to take some getting used to!

Bootmapper Client (BMC) seems easy and friendly to use. I found it easier than QMK.

Very nice. Very different feel to my old board with Gateron Browns.

238989-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2020, 10:01:24 by flyingalbatross1 »

Offline phxrbn

• tech. design. real estate.
« Reply #433 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 20:21:10 »

(Attachment Link)

Did you make the diffuser and hipro yourself? Looks pretty solid. My budget96 that I purchased has been sitting since I got my nym96 for work. I wanna put it to use my warehouse, but the fact that it's open everywhere makes me weary of killing. Need some protection for it. 

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #434 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 20:50:05 »

(Attachment Link)

Did you make the diffuser and hipro yourself? Looks pretty solid. My budget96 that I purchased has been sitting since I got my nym96 for work. I wanna put it to use my warehouse, but the fact that it's open everywhere makes me weary of killing. Need some protection for it.

Any acrylic will almost for sure be from GB kits. But you can use the files at https://github.com/DonutCables/Budget96-Files if you have somewhere to cut/print your own pieces.

Offline v1ral671

« Reply #435 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 04:58:13 »

Offline v1ral671

« Reply #436 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 20:37:09 »

(Attachment Link)

Wow, that looks pretty nice!

How do I source one of these cases out?
Do I contact the maker?

Offline pepo2181

« Reply #437 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 19:59:29 »
After a long time I built mine
Switches: Everglide Jades (filmed & spring swapped for 67g)
Stabs: Everglide Clear

Offline hehe13

« Reply #438 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:44:53 »
any chance there are still extra set (PCB and plates)? the website only shows extra white plates (https://donutcables.com/collections/frontpage/products/budget96-extras)

my 96kee just gave up on me.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #439 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 08:22:42 »
any chance there are still extra set (PCB and plates)? the website only shows extra white plates (https://donutcables.com/collections/frontpage/products/budget96-extras)

my 96kee just gave up on me.

So right now I'm out of "normal" PCBs, all that's left is a pile of ones that arrived with functional issues that I'll be working through repairing to list. Most of these issues are simple things like missing diodes/resistors or dead LEDs that make for non-visible repairs. I'll dive into working on these once I've finished clearing out my current cable backlog and post here when I have them ready to go out.

Offline v1ral671

« Reply #440 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 09:48:02 »

I believe I said some time ago I would be making these files easily available, and after a reminder I finally got to it. Hipro files aren't there yet because I need to go grab copies from Jolimon, but they'll be up when I do. A hardware list will also be added once I've checked back over that since I've slightly forgotten dimensions used.

By any chance you have the parts needed to secure the plates in place.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #441 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 15:55:23 »

By any chance you have the parts needed to secure the plates in place.

How so? I've got the standoffs listed on the repo there and that's all there is to it. Make sure to get the thicker ones if you're not using a middle slice, the thicker ones won't go through the screwholes.