Author Topic: I'm lost in FAQs and links- newbie questions...  (Read 1515 times)

Offline millia

I'm lost in FAQs and links- newbie questions...
« on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 11:12:08 »
Hey everybody.

I got sucked into this world because of some cool keycaps, and now I want to make a whole multimedia package. Let me list what I'd like to do, and you guys tell me if it's possible.

First, I'd like to find a motherboard for a full keyboard. Alas, I don't want TKL, or the Phantom might do it.
I got the Nasa themed drop from Massdrop, and so I wanted to do effects like:
a) have matching lights to the keycap above
b) light up, higher intensity, to those matching lights to the keycap color when pressed
c) have some animations/matching colors, ie, when I press the esc, it does some sort of cascade away from that corner.
d) ideally, have some secondary lighting around the bottom of the board.

Is this possible? I'm happy to do the soldering, casemaking, etc., because I want this to match my space-themed case and decor. I can't tell where to start on the whole mobo thing, however. I'm waiting for a multi-switch tester so I can figure out exactly which tactile quiet switch I would want, and then how I need to mod it, since I'd like it as close to buckling spring as I can get.

Offline nevin

Re: I'm lost in FAQs and links- newbie questions...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 11:41:58 »
pcb - bout the only thing close to "full size" that comes to mind that's programmable is an aftermarket 1800 or KBDfans KBD19X PCB
 - 1800 layout - https://thekey.company/collections/tkc-1800
 - KBDfans KBD19X PCB   https://kbdfans.cn/collections/95-kbd19x/products/kbdfans-kbd19x-pcb

lights - no idea, to do what you're talking about you would need to be able to control the led's on individual keys (per key led programmability) this will really limit what pcb's you can pick form, not many have per switch led control.

secondary lighting  - usually referred to as underglow, usually just an rgb led strip under the pcb

switches - quiet tactile... there are a couple dampened MX variants out there, or you could add a set of silencing clips to whatever MX switch you want. for alps, there's matias quiet click, or vintage alps SKCM dampened cream (pine) or dampened white (bamboo)

.... you're not going to find a quiet tactile switch that's like buckling spring switches, that's like comparing oranges to bananas. bucklings are tactile, yes, but also, clicky & loud.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 12:00:31 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline millia

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 13:24:09 »
pcb - bout the only thing close to "full size" that comes to mind that's programmable is an aftermarket 1800 or KBDfans KBD19X PCB
 - 1800 layout - https://thekey.company/collections/tkc-1800
 - KBDfans KBD19X PCB   https://kbdfans.cn/collections/95-kbd19x/products/kbdfans-kbd19x-pcb

Okay, I wasn't missing something obvious. May have to just go TKL. I tell you what I'd really like- a tkl with a 'side' key. I'm so used to mashing down on the bottom right enter key. It's a muscle memory thing.

lights - no idea, to do what you're talking about you would need to be able to control the led's on individual keys (per key led programmability) this will really limit what pcb's you can pick form, not many have per switch led control.

Figured if I'm going to bling, might as well do all the bling.

secondary lighting  - usually referred to as underglow, usually just an rgb led strip under the pcb

Cool. Figured that was it.

switches - quiet tactile... there are a couple dampened MX variants out there, or you could add a set of silencing clips to whatever MX switch you want. for alps, there's matias quiet click, or vintage alps SKCM dampened cream (pine) or dampened white (bamboo)
.... you're not going to find a quiet tactile switch that's like buckling spring switches, that's like comparing oranges to bananas. bucklings are tactile, yes, but also, clicky & loud.

I should have specified that I've been using a Cherry Clear for about the past month, and while it's not a buckling spring, it's much better than what I had been using. Good enough, and I'm going to be figuring out what else is available in that style and/or modding others.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 15:17:26 »
my 1st transition into this hobby was a 60% with a separate 10-key with mouse in between the two, this alone was a game changer coming form a full size board. being able to get the mouse so much closer without having the board shifted way to the left, and still having a number pad within reach but not in the way....

i too used to heavily rely on the enter on the num pad, but since, i've easily transitioned to the enter on the board, still on the far right edge (with 60%) and i have to have dedicated arrows in bottom right of the board as well.

you could do a silent clear if your looking for something quieter. the qmx silencing clips are really nice. but i definitely feel the 1st generation ones (pcb mount only, black rubber) are better than the plate mount ones (i have both). another option would be some of the silent ones form zeal, supposed to be more tactile like clear, smoother stems & internally dampened (i haven't tried them yet though)

looking for really quiet? i just saw a post the other day that was really interesting.... they were calling it gasket mounting.... take a look. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99711.msg2732481#msg2732481
i'm going to play around with some "soft mounting" myself once i get a couple more parts.

do some digging into whats available/supported in per switch led programming. sorry, i'm no help there... on the last couple boards i've built, they don't have any leds at all (well except for the tiny ones on the tennsy or pro micros, which you can't see anyway)

best of luck with your research & eventual build.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 06:19:12 »
some lighting examples/reviews i found on commercially available full size boards (i have no experience with either).
GMMK 104 RGB -
Corsair Strafe RGB -

switches - more tactile (but also clicky) these are a different design - they use a click bar instead of the typical leg/leaf of traditional MX
Kailh BOX -