Author Topic: Kishsaver inspired keyboard: Southpaw Numpad + Winkeyless + Uniqey C70 Layout  (Read 2281 times)

Offline iHateKnives

• Old photography site
I've been designing a layout for my SA Camping keyset for months and I initially came up with this crazy layout:

With this case design:

I thought that was too modern for the vintage look I'm after so I settled for this:

I clearly have a soft spot for southpaw layouts, hehe. I love the vintage vibe of SA profile and I wanted to push that look further by copying the bezels from the Kishsaver boards:

The board will be made out of wood. I'm in the process of looking for woodworkers who can do the job neatly. TaeKeyboards did something similar recently with a meme layout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIDs8tq5Pa4&t=594s.

I plan to handwire everything with a Teensy++ 2.0. I might redesign my case later to have underglow and the extra pins on the big Teensy might come in handy.

I'm still choosing between two switches: BOX Royal Hako (Clears) or MX Zilents (Aliaz housing and spring + CMX Blacks stems). The plate will be made out of 4.5mm acrylic
so I'll have to use Cosstar stabs from Aliexpress. It should dampen the sound a bit and hopefully not flex. Gonna line the case with sound dampening foam too
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 July 2018, 12:41:02 by iHateKnives »
POK3R 67g Zealios + XDA Canvas + SA Camping

Offline Kilgarah

Cool project! Are you planning on getting the case CNC'd? Do Costar stabs snap into a 4.5mm plate?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline iHateKnives

• Old photography site
Cool project! Are you planning on getting the case CNC'd? Do Costar stabs snap into a 4.5mm plate?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Yup. I found a guy who's got a CNC mill in his shop and is willing to do a one-off project. Unfortunately, he's still waiting a part for it so I'll only get to start the machining process three weeks later. It's perfect timing to be perfectly honest. I have to perfect every part of my plan and not to mention, get my capital up. Haha.

I haven't used Costar stabs in years but from what I read, they just slide into slits and you just have to glue them in place. They work with any plate thickness without fancy CNC Milling techniques which is great for me!
POK3R 67g Zealios + XDA Canvas + SA Camping