Author Topic: Rewiring a broken Novatouch TKL?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline sdziscool

Rewiring a broken Novatouch TKL?
« on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 08:32:04 »
Hello there,

A few days ago I acquired a broken Novatouch TKL, the problem being that, when attached to any pc tested it with multiple devices it says the device is malfunctioning. I suspect it's a fried microcontroller so I thought of rewiring it to a teensy to get it working again.
Unfortunately I read that Topre switches work with an electrostatic layer and the wiring seems a bit more complex than your standard Cherry switch type keyboard and PCB.
I found this helpful article already:
http://vekkt0r.github.io/articles/novatouch-tkl-reverse-engineering-part-1/

Now my main question is, would it be possible and somewhat easy? I have experience with the qmk, wiring standard keyboard matrices and some rudimentary software skills, if the only thing that's needed is activating the electrostatic layer and intercepting the matrix as 1s and 0s it shouldn't be a problem.
Otherwise I'll have to sell it off for the sliders which would be a waste.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Tactile

Re: Rewiring a broken Novatouch TKL?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 08:53:18 »
I'd start by looking at the work other people have done in changing controllers in a Topre board.

[EDIT]
Here's another example using a Teensy just as you want to do.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:10:44 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 08:56:41 »
If you are lucky, it is something simple that could be fixed easily with a soldering iron. First thing to do is to open it up and check for bad solder joints, broken cables etc.

Beside the projects that Tactile mentioned, there is also one for making a contoured ergonomic keyboard with Topre switches. If your keyboard can't be repaired easily then I would look at what research they have done and what they have accomplished.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2017, 08:58:17 by Findecanor »

Offline sdziscool

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 04:05:09 »
I'd start by looking at the work other people have done in changing controllers in a Topre board.

[EDIT]

Aah, yes unfortunately there are already a lot of differences between the HHKB and Novatouch so I would have to start checking each pin combination and decipher the hex values on the go, it's a bit too much for me in my current situation so I suppose I'm best of selling it. Got any idea how to find out what it's worth?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 07:40:09 »

[EDIT]

Aah, yes unfortunately there are already a lot of differences between the HHKB and Novatouch so I would have to start checking each pin combination and decipher the hex values on the go, it's a bit too much for me in my current situation so I suppose I'm best of selling it. Got any idea how to find out what it's worth?

The best place to ask would be in this thread.
REΛLFORCE