Author Topic: [GB] Stainless Steel Phantom Plates - ANSI 125, 150, 7BIT [CLOSED]  (Read 50519 times)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
The intro

This is a group buy for stainless steel Phantom plates. I plan to use the same metal fabrication shop that was used for the stainless uTKL plates last round. They will be using a 5KW laser CNC machine to cut the plates from 16 ga. 304 stainless steel. They do excellent work and everyone seemed very pleased with the quality of the plates from R1.

The plates

There are 3 plate designs being offered; ANSI 125, ANSI 150, and 7BIT. These plates are designed to support both Costar and Cherry plate mount stabilizers as well as off-center capslock and off-center spacebars. Please note that these plates will not fit on PCB's for keyboards like Filco's, Ducky's, KUL's, etc. However, the plates will fit inside many popular TKL cases from Filco, Ducky, CoolerMaster, and others. The plate designs have very graciously been provided by jdcarpe. We used his designs for the last round of stainless plates and they came out perfect!

These are renders of the final plate designs.

ANSI 125 - 87 switches. Popular standard layout of mainstream keyboards. ANSI layout with 1.25x bottom modifiers and 6.25x space bar.

ANSI 150 - 86 switches. Popular with Cherry and Korean customs. ANSI layout with bottom modifiers in 1.5x - 1x - 1.5x and 7x space bar.

7BIT - 101 switches. Highly innovative ergonomic layout, following scientific research. Contrary to ANSI or ISO layouts, it does not require stabilizers because the key sizes are limited to max of 1.75 units.

The orders

Orders will be open until AUGUST 31 or until we reach a hard limit of 60 total plates, whichever comes first.  I want to keep this small enough I can ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible for everyone involved, myself included. There is a MOQ of at least 36 total plates for this to go to production. Invoicing will begin very shortly after ordering closes. Payments will be collected via PayPal and all payments should be made in USD. Payments will be due within 5 days of the time you receive the invoice.

As always, V2 BroBots and Clack's are totally acceptable forms of payment ;)

Plates
$35/ea.

CONUS shipping
1-2 plates - $6
3-4 plates - $12
5+ plates - $18

International shipping
1-2 plates - $25
3-4 plates - $50
5+ plates - $75

Plates will be shipped via USPS flat rate envelopes for both domestic and international orders. I will be able to fit a maximum of 2 plates per shipping envelope. If you order 5 or more plates it will be more cost efficient to use a USPS flat rate box.

The fine print

The plates will have production markings (slight scratches and scuffs) so don't expect an art piece with a flawless finish. I will try my best to make sure every plate is as perfect as possible but if something happens that you receive a defective plate, please let me know and I will do my best to make it right.

The order form

Order form closed

Final order count
Total - 39 plates

ANSI 125 - 20
ANSI 150 - 11
7BIT - 8
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:11:39 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [GB] Stainless Steel Phantom Plates - ANSI 125, 150, 7BIT
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:04:43 »
Thanks for doing a Round 2!

I will place my order in the next couple of days :)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:13:58 »
Nice to see round two.  The plates from round one had some impressively clean laser work, and the tolerances were very tight.  I really look forward to picking up another spare phantom plate!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:37:42 »
I order one of each

Offline TBone

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:05:25 »
Definitely interested, only thing. Are the ANSI plates compatible with off center caps locks?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:31:53 »
Definitely interested, only thing. Are the ANSI plates compatible with off center caps locks?

These plates will support both Costar and Cherry plate mount stabilizers. They support off-center capslock and off-center spacebars.

I guess so ;)

Offline TBone

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:03:29 »
Dang sorry didn't even fully read the post. I'm in for one ANSI150, that layout looks so good.

Now just to find a cheap donor case hopefully. Really not ready to drop $200+ on a metal case yet.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:12:14 »
Dang sorry didn't even fully read the post. I'm in for one ANSI150, that layout looks so good.

Now just to find a cheap donor case hopefully. Really not ready to drop $200+ on a metal case yet.

I am not even aware TKL metal cases are available right now seperately. Can you link me to some please?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:15:27 »

Sprit has some beautiful acrylic cases that are very reasonably priced, I'm pretty sure you can still get them.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:19:50 »
Yeah, I am aware of these, but I prefer a metal one.

The ones he offers in his GB didn'T make MOQ right?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:21:06 »
Yeah, I am aware of these, but I prefer a metal one.

The ones he offers in his GB didn'T make MOQ right?
I don't believe they did, but I haven't been keeping up with that GB too much lately.

There's also these, but I'm not entirely sure about compatibility.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=44

Offline TBone

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:23:47 »

I am not even aware TKL metal cases are available right now seperately. Can you link me to some please?

MechanicalKeyboards.com has some Vortex (heard only bad things about them really) and TEX (heard nothing about their TKL really). Here is the TEX http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=280

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:25:30 »
Nice! Those are really reasonable priced.

Looks like it is only compatible with Filcos though. Hopefully someone does a review on these cases and tests different PCBs and the quality of the case.

I'd love to put my future Phantom in such a case ;)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 12:02:58 »
Sprit has some beautiful acrylic cases that are very reasonably priced, I'm pretty sure you can still get them.

I plan on picking up one of his Model 3 cases for my Phantom  :thumb:

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 12:48:53 »
Is tex case phantom compatible? There is three in stock I do not know if I buy or no.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 12:59:08 »
Is tex case phantom compatible? There is three in stock I do not know if I buy or no.

It probably relies on the bends in the plate to support the PCB/plate assembly in the case, just like the Vortex case does.

Also, this TEX case seems not to be as deep on the bottom. The Phantom may not fit, due to the Teensy on the underside of the PCB. But the only way to know for sure would be to test it.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:26:27 »
If I want to change my order / add stuff to it, should I PM you or just submit another order with the changes made to it? I would like to change my order to include a 7bit as well.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 19:19:58 »
If I want to change my order / add stuff to it, should I PM you or just submit another order with the changes made to it? I would like to change my order to include a 7bit as well.

If you want to make changes just go ahead and submit another order. I also made sure to enable editing on the Google form so if you save the edit link they give you at the end you will be able to modify your existing order independently.  :thumb:

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:34:36 »
I saw the edit link when I had originally submitted the order and figured it would be saved next time I go to the page, but I guess wrong. I will just make a new order with every thing I want and leave a comment in the shipping address section to let you know its good to remove my previous order. No more changes after this I promise  :p

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:46:58 »
I saw the edit link when I had originally submitted the order and figured it would be saved next time I go to the page, but I guess wrong. I will just make a new order with every thing I want and leave a comment in the shipping address section to let you know its good to remove my previous order. No more changes after this I promise  :p

No worries! I saw your updated order and deleted your old one so you're good to go.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 23:15:30 »

No worries! I saw your updated order and deleted your old one so you're good to go.

Awesome, thanks! I bookmarked the edit link just in case. Hope this meets MOQ because I think 7bit might just be the layout I'm looking for.

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 01:39:38 »
Will order one when I'm ready!  :p

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:01:48 »
Any chance new layout options could be added?

Some kind of universal plate that would allow 1.75x shift + 1 or 2.75x shift, two 1x keys or 2x backspace would be my top pick. If it could also support some crazy bottom rows with 8x or 10x spacebars that would be my dream Phantom plate.

Here is an example:

That is 1.25 1.25 9.75 1.25 1.25. I have a 10x spacebar on right now which eliminates the small space on both sides, but if you use an 8x spacebar the spacing looks good. With universal bottom you could do all kinds of of either 1x, 1.25x, or 1.5x keys with spacebars from 8-10x size. The stabilizer spacing is the same for 8, 9.75, and 10 size spacebars, and probably 9x as well.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:05:06 »
Any chance new layout options could be added?

Some kind of universal plate that would allow 1.75x shift + 1 or 2.75x shift, two 1x keys or 2x backspace would be my top pick. If it could also support some crazy bottom rows with 8x or 10x spacebars that would be my dream Phantom plate.

Here is an example:
Show Image

That is 1.25 1.25 9.75 1.25 1.25. I have a 10x spacebar on right now which eliminates the small space on both sides, but if you use an 8x spacebar the spacing looks good. With universal bottom you could do all kinds of of either 1x, 1.25x, or 1.5x keys with spacebars from 8-10x size. The stabilizer spacing is the same for 8, 9.75, and 10 size spacebars, and probably 9x as well.

Agreed, the only thing that's keeping me from getting in on this is the lack of universal shift support. Doesn't hurt anyone to add it and you'll probably get more orders.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:13:20 »
You guys don't seem to understand how the Phantom works. There are no holes in the PCB for stabilizers, so any stabilizers you use MUST be plate mounted. That one fact, unfortunately, precludes the use of a "universal" plate design. The elongated holes on the "universal" plate allow for different shift and bottom row options, but they also REQUIRE that you use PCB mount stabilizers. Because you lose the openings for the plate mount stabilizers when you open up the holes like that. Plate mount stabilizers must necessarily lock onto the plate, and require a defined hole for doing so.

By the way, the stabilizer holes in the ANSI 150 plate I designed allow for 7u, 8u, 9.75u, and 10u spacebars. The only one that really makes sense to use, other than 7u, is 10u, since you can lose the two 1.5u switches on either side of the spacebar.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:15:35 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:21:23 »
Then I'd be happy if it was permanently 1.75x and 1x and two 1x for backspace. I also didn't know the other already supports the spacing for 8x-10x spacebars, that is pretty cool. My stabilizers for those longer spacebars are plate mount.

PS: We need Phantom 2.0 with backlight and surface mount side LED options.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:26:42 »
Then I'd be happy if it was permanently 1.75x and 1x and two 1x for backspace.

I doubt that would get any significant number of orders. Maybe you should have asked about it in the IC for these a while ago, to see if anyone would vote for that design? When ordering plates from the metal shop, low quantity orders either don't get made, or cost quite a bit more.

in memoriam

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:35:55 »
Good to know, I was not aware that with different designs it could increase the price. Maybe we got spoiled with a ton of options on the Ti 60% plates. I thought you just needed an MOC of plates, but it makes sense that if someone has to load up a different file to be cut it would increase labor either slightly or significantly.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:42:17 »
Ah yeah I forgot about the stab situation, that's a shame.

danielucf - let me know what you're interested in and I'll sort something out, I need a couple of 60 plates made and I'm thinking of cutting another Phantom plate to replace my Filco.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:47:26 »
Then I'd be happy if it was permanently 1.75x and 1x and two 1x for backspace. I also didn't know the other already supports the spacing for 8x-10x spacebars, that is pretty cool. My stabilizers for those longer spacebars are plate mount.

PS: We need Phantom 2.0 with backlight and surface mount side LED options.

I only intended to offer two plate designs when I set out to do this (before it became a Phantom plate buy) because I didn't want to hassle the metal shop with 5 or 7 or 10 or however many designs people could come up with. They were courteous enough to give me job rate pricing but asked that I keep a reasonable limit on the number of designs. The specific design you're asking for (ANSI 150 SPLIT SHIFT/BACKSPACE) only managed to get a single vote when presented in the interest check thread so it hardly seemed worthwhile to offer.

Has there been any talk/development on the next Phantom revision? I would love to see a Phantom that supports PCB mount stabs as that would really open up a lot of options for universal plate designs.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:09:45 »
I don't think bpiphany is actively designing anything in the way of a Phantom 2.0, but I could be mistaken.

You can get pretty much what you want with the BeastMask designs (FaceW) that sprit is selling. I think he has a TKL version PCB on offer. But I'm pretty sure the Phantom plates WILL NOT work with those, as the spacing between the function row and number row is different, from what I remember.

in memoriam

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:26:46 »
I have a 2.75x titanium shift and nothing to put it on so maybe I'll just order the ANSI 150 plate since I now know it'll support 10x spacebar.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 21:17:36 »
I just noticed the function row on the 7bit is just 1x all the way across with no gaps. Is there a 7bit version with standard groupings on the function row? I still plan on picking up a 7bit plate as is and will probably end up modifying it.

Side note, does anyone know of a good way to cut small sections out of a stainless steel plate? :) I'm guessing a dremel will do the job but not too sure about what type of disc or anything to use.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 21:36:52 »
Is there a 7bit version with standard groupings on the function row[...]
Side note, does anyone know of a good way to cut small sections out of a stainless steel plate? :) I'm guessing a dremel will do the job but not too sure about what type of disc or anything to use.

If it doesn't use every available switch on the phantom, it isn't an 7bit plate. (and no, I've never seen/heard of a hybrid like you're describing)

Also, stainless steel is pretty hard. Carbide tips are probably called for. And lots of patience. Or lots of dremels, whichever's your preference ;)

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 23:13:01 »
Is there a 7bit version with standard groupings on the function row[...]

If it doesn't use every available switch on the phantom, it isn't an 7bit plate. (and no, I've never seen/heard of a hybrid like you're describing)

Also, stainless steel is pretty hard. Carbide tips are probably called for. And lots of patience. Or lots of dremels, whichever's your preference ;)

Ah, I see. Thanks for the response. It looks like I will be blowing through some carbide cutting disks and patience in the next couple coming months. I'm usually pretty stacked on patience so things should turn out well!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 23:20:56 »
Hmmm, maybe I can change a little  thing...

It's late and time for bed here in Texas. I'll post something cool in the morning for you guys to consider.

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 08:30:02 »
Okay, here it is:

You can use either the 15-switch F-row, or the standard 13-switch F-row. Since there are no stabilizers on the F-row, no need to worry about elongated holes. And every switch will still snap into the plate at the front and back, just not the corners.

in memoriam

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:23:41 »
Any Australians wanna share shipping?

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:03:07 »
Okay, here it is:

Show Image

You can use either the 15-switch F-row, or the standard 13-switch F-row. Since there are no stabilizers on the F-row, no need to worry about elongated holes. And every switch will still snap into the plate at the front and back, just not the corners.

Very cool design, jd! Do you have a name for this new plate? 7BIT V2?

If the three current 7bit orders (and any future ones) would rather have this design I have no problem switching it out.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:56:48 »
Okay, here it is:

Show Image

Very cool design, jd! Do you have a name for this new plate? 7BIT V2?

If the three current 7bit orders (and any future ones) would rather have this design I have no problem switching it out.

That design looks awesome. I'd certainly be okay with this change.

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:20:04 by aicrono »

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:10:07 »
I would like to have the original 7BIT plate because I want to make a caseless Phantom that uses every switch and is 100% secure.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:12:11 »
I would like to have the original 7BIT plate because I want to make a caseless Phantom that uses every switch.

You can still do that with the new 7BIT plate. As long as you are using a PCB, and not direct wiring everything, you are still good to use the original 7BIT F-row layout.

in memoriam

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:13:24 »
I would like to have the original 7BIT plate because I want to make a caseless Phantom that uses every switch.

You can still do that with the new 7BIT plate. As long as you are using a PCB, and not direct wiring everything, you are still good to use the original 7BIT F-row layout.
I am painting plate and I think it look ugly this way.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:14:36 »

Okay then. :)

in memoriam

Offline telnet

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:29:28 »
Just wanted to clarify something on shipping. 
Would Canada be considered international?

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:04:42 »
Just wanted to clarify something on shipping. 
Would Canada be considered international?

Yep, anything not in the 48 contiguous United States is considered international for shipping purposes.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:03:35 »

Awww... got excited too soon.  :(

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 19:45:31 »
How many 1.5x and 1.75x and 1.25x DSA keycap do I buy from SP for 7BIT layout?

Offline echo0

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:34:07 »
Ordered two ANSI 150 plates.  Thanks...

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:54:14 »
Less than two weeks to go. We only need 10 more plates for this to be able to go to production.  :thumb: