Author Topic: Rust-Oleum NeverWet  (Read 7946 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Rust-Oleum NeverWet
« on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:43:31 »
What are people's opinions on this miracle stuff and its possible applications in the keyboard world.  I was thinking about spraying down my GH60 PCBs when i get them with this stuff to insure their lifespan continues on so long i have to include them in my will. Thoughts?  Can this stuff damage PCB Boards?
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: Rust-Oleum NeverWet
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:47:41 »
Extreme hydrophobic substances can trap water within as well. There are cases where it is better to let the humidity in things fluctuate to let it dry out every now and then rather than forever sealing in the moisture that is within at the moment of sealing.

It could probably make things easier to clean in case of spills and the like.

Is it flammable or does it have any other disadvantages?

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:48:50 »
I could see connection issues if it's applied before you solder it.

And if it's already soldered when you spray it might be a problem if it gets in the switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:49:52 »
I was going to buy it to spray on the carrying case my sister made for me.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 10:50:30 »
This could be a miracle on work boots.....if it holds up.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 11:20:26 »
This could be a miracle on work boots.....if it holds up.

oh i am def putting it on shoes and what have ya.  But i am extremely interested in its application on electronics.

i am not sure if this is safe or not. my initial idea would be to spray the pcb before switches are soldered but after SMD components are applied.  i am not sure if this will damage the plastic or interfere with the electrical conductivity of the board itself (is NeverWet conductive?). 

I am not concerned about switches. switches can be replaced and switches can be lubed, etc.  But PCBs are harder to come by.  and it goes without saying that if i heavily mod a keyboard i want it to last. no matter what my dumb ass spills into it at 11:45PM on a Wednesday (i am looking at you brass monkey incident).

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 11:27:41 »
i am not sure if this is safe or not. my initial idea would be to spray the pcb before switches are soldered but after SMD components are applied.  i am not sure if this will damage the plastic or interfere with the electrical conductivity of the board itself (is NeverWet conductive?). 

Pretty sure it's not, but

If it is - shorts out the board

If it is not - prevents componets soldered after its applied from working

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 11:29:01 »
I was initially going to make a joke on this idea but now I'm curious. People are always worried about shine on their boards. Could you possibly spray your caps with this so it would repel water/oil/whatever is on your hands?

And I agree with what CommunistWitchDr said.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 11:47:15 »
I was initially going to make a joke on this idea but now I'm curious. People are always worried about shine on their boards. Could you possibly spray your caps with this so it would repel water/oil/whatever is on your hands?

And I agree with what CommunistWitchDr said.

i havent seen it in person but from the videos it looks like it leaves a strange texture on clothing at least.  i'm not sure how it would affect keycaps.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 17:49:49 »
Why do you need a water proof keyboard? I'm not seeing the point unless you're prone to spilling stuff

From what I've seen of it, it also tends to discolor. While is says "frost finish" often times it will be a frost blue (at least on the work boots I've seen them sprayed on)
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 10:12:44 »
Use a proper conformal coating for electronics, and
don't do anything until after all soldering is completed.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:17:56 »
Why do you need a water proof keyboard? I'm not seeing the point unless you're prone to spilling stuff

From what I've seen of it, it also tends to discolor. While is says "frost finish" often times it will be a frost blue (at least on the work boots I've seen them sprayed on)

I have been spilling a bit lately but that isn't my main motivation. i see never wet as a possible method of extending the life of a board.

edit: spilled again last night. that makes like 4 spills in the last 4 months. i think i have to stop drinking and typing for now...
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 15:43:20 by tricheboars »