Author Topic: What other hobbies consume your time?  (Read 97790 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What other hobbies consume your time?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 23:32:53 »

"Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests"

Can confirm.

Tp4 has denied for years, maintaining Tp4 is not sick,

Tp4 will research this further, but, Perhaps, Tp4 has been too busy obsessing to realize that he's got a problem with obsessing.

Perhaps this was obvious to everyone else ?

But, let's say Tp4 reads up on this , what would be the outcome of obsessing over the fact that one obsesses ??

Offline JP

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 08:17:35 »

"Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests"

Can confirm.

Tp4 has denied for years, maintaining Tp4 is not sick,

Tp4 will research this further, but, Perhaps, Tp4 has been too busy obsessing to realize that he's got a problem with obsessing.

Perhaps this was obvious to everyone else ?

But, let's say Tp4 reads up on this , what would be the outcome of obsessing over the fact that one obsesses ??

Show Image

TP4 gets stuck in an endless loop. Someone will need to perform a reboot.

When you obsess about something is that particular obsession eventually allayed?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 09:27:39 »

TP4 gets stuck in an endless loop. Someone will need to perform a reboot.

When you obsess about something is that particular obsession eventually allayed?

Mmmmmmmmm... One could say, Tp4 is reasonable enough to set practical limits on obsession. For example, Tp4 COULD buy a $3000 spectrophotometer,  BUHhhhhh,  Tp4 settled for a $200 colorimeter (which Tp4 got on sale for $135).  So, preserved is the ability to analyze cost/benefit curves.

Offline captainkai

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 01:54:06 »
just parenting  :eek:

Sounds about right  :))

Aside from parenting, mine are cars, pc building, playing sports, EDC (if you can call that a hobby)

Offline Altis

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 18:11:34 »
PC gaming, audio production, various outdoors, and various firearm sports (skeet shooting taking most of my time/expense). On a break from cars/motorcycles at the moment (just a normal car).

Unfortunately, I have a lot of hobbies and most of them are really expensive.  :-X
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 20:15:36 »
PC gaming, audio production, various outdoors, and various firearm sports (skeet shooting taking most of my time/expense). On a break from cars/motorcycles at the moment (just a normal car).

Unfortunately, I have a lot of hobbies and most of them are really expensive.  :-X

My apologies this is unrelated to your comment but I was reading your keyboard collection, how did you get the KUL ES-87 with zealios? 

Offline Altis

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 20:24:38 »

My apologies this is unrelated to your comment but I was reading your keyboard collection, how did you get the KUL ES-87 with zealios?

Bought the KUL ES-87 with MX Clears, bought some Zealios, and swapped them in.  :cool:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline eas

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 21:01:56 »
Gardening, comics and Udemy (software stuff)
Want to learn about PCB design but probably never will.

Long term want to study a specific language

Yeah study is fun for me.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 00:26:30 »

Bought the KUL ES-87 with MX Clears, bought some Zealios, and swapped them in.  :cool:

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to desolder the MX Clears then solder on the Zealios?

Offline Altis

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 00:34:21 »

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to desolder the MX Clears then solder on the Zealios?

No problem! Yep, each one. It doesn't take all that long provided you have a somewhat decent soldering gun and solder remover.

Offline Nuji

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 06:40:31 »
learning javascript so i can finally delve into the hidden realm of after effects.

i'm mostly using eloquent javascript for learning. if anyone has any recommendations lmk (:

Offline neoberg

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 08:25:48 »
Paragliding and family are the two things that I spend time outside of work.

Offline flurryvelvet

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 08:32:50 »
Playing my ukulele and guitar.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 14:06:07 »
I love studying languages, reading, playing on my piano, and saving up and eventually buying a Hurdy Gurdy.

Traveling enters in, when I can afford it.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 11:35:52 »
Messing with custom firmware, outdoors, and Tacoma stuff.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 18:16:59 »
I love studying languages, reading, playing on my piano, and saving up and eventually buying a Hurdy Gurdy.

Traveling enters in, when I can afford it.

Also, maybe tech up 2 Bag Pipes..

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:02:15 »
Computers, video games, history, modifying/fixing things, listening to metal (I do this much less than I would like), firearms.

Keyboards, ironically, are a lot cheaper than firearms, so I'm saving some money lately.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:05:56 by Maledicted »

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:06:04 »
Pets, collecting knives. Eating?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 00:16:27 »

Eating knives, collecting pets.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 02:52:01 »
Hardware, love fiddling with it, tinkering with it and getting stuff to work. I work with computers every day but I still don't mind helping people in my free time. I think I'm lucky in that regard. So this is probably my main hobby.

Gaming. I can go through massive dry spells where I don't play anything. And other times I'm swimming in games to play.
Like right now I've got: Escape from Tarkov, COD:MW & Star Wars: Fallen Order. - After I'm done with SW I've got the new Spider-Man game to purchase and play.

Other than that it's just spending time with wife and doggo's.

Offline yui

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 03:33:30 »
well like a few here hobby includes cooking/baking, making stuff/building pc, playing with/on old servers, reading, playing video games, old cars...
actually keyboards cost enough to not take too much of my time (cause i spend i guess already too much in old hardware and my old car)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 05:35:59 »

Eating knives, collecting pets.

It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 12:09:35 »

Used to. Drugs have been helping.

Keebs certainly qualifies as an -autism- spectrum hobby,  but it seems GH is darker than previously thought.

Well yeah, sometimes we get into weird hobbies. What would you expect?

I used to love fidgeting with pipecleaners, that consumed a lot of my time when i was a kid.

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:59:58 »
For me it was cooking. That was until keyboards sapped all my time and money.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:22:04 »
I did a lot of wood carving years ago and got the bug to get back into it. I turned a couple of carving mallets out of scraps a few days ago.234155-0

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:59:31 »
Unfortunately my only other main hobby is photography, which is even more expensive than keyboards :confused:

234157-0
234159-1
234161-2

Offline yui

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 00:53:44 »
those are nice photos though, and if you do not mind a bit of manual everything, when on a budget, old lenses and adapters are pretty cheap and can give cool effects.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 03:31:20 »
I've been writing a lot lately. Comedy scripts like I'm creating a tv pilot, but for no one.
I wish I had a writing partner to bounce ideas off of, because on your own there's really no way to tell if what you've done is good or funny.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 05:30:01 »
Without a doubt people who are obsessed about keyboards have at least some mild form of autism, but with that comes meds, and with meds may come the need to keep dark spirits away.

I've been checked, I'm "clean".  Or the tester's reliance on the very communication skills affected by the condition meant we were talking about two different things as happens in many conversations about anything throughout my life.  My lack of apropriate emotional response was noted but because I don't (think/notice) how I create routine and have logic'd round anxiety I'm fine.

Other hobbies?  There's only ever one at a time.  I have barely used computer fans from the quest for silence that consumed me for a while, partially complete amp and DAC projects and headphones that haven't moved in years from my audiophile stage as well as keyboard stuff.  Currently building up a stash of bike parts - only got 1 bike but it has 8 wheels and 5 sets of handlebars...

Maybe my hobby is shopping?  Though there's a lot of research before any purchase so it's not impulsive/a problem.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 02:02:55 »
Unfortunately my only other main hobby is photography, which is even more expensive than keyboards :confused:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

well at least you are good at it, if those are your photos, i dunno how it works but you could try making money out of that.

Offline carnageasada

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 11:18:48 »
Brewing, shooting, field craft, running, biking, drinking, gaming - not necessarily in that order.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:25:56 »
Brewing, shooting, field craft, running, biking, drinking, gaming - not necessarily in that order.

What sort of guns have you got?

Offline senjo

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 03:41:31 »
drawing, designing, cooking, digging secrets, reading fake news

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 06:12:11 »
Prior to my son being born, skating absorbed so much time. I was a Roller Derby referee, so I was at training twice a week and at bouts at the weekends.

Since my son was born, I've had such good intentions, but I can never get hobbies to stick. I've been learning Japanese on an off for the past year, been back to raiding in Warcraft, been reading more on the commute to work.

I guess reading is currently the thing that I do the most that isn't work, parenting, or watching Netflix. I'll be back to studying come October as I pick back up my part-time degree, but until then I'm mostly wasting time, haha.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Kavik

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:38:35 »
Prior to my son being born, skating absorbed so much time. I was a Roller Derby referee, so I was at training twice a week and at bouts at the weekends.

That sounds like fun. I never got the hang of roller blading/skating or ice skating, but I've wanted to try it again. Same goes for skateboarding. I never got good at it, but I've been interested in it again lately. I'm very injury averse though, which is part of the reason I was never good.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 18:01:28 »

That sounds like fun. I never got the hang of roller blading/skating or ice skating, but I've wanted to try it again. Same goes for skateboarding. I never got good at it, but I've been interested in it again lately. I'm very injury averse though, which is part of the reason I was never good.

I figure it helps to start young, when you have no fear. I had my first pair of quad skates when I was 3, my first pair of inlines at 6, and by 16 I was doing competitive freestyle slalom on inlines. As I hit my late 20s, I wanted to do something more team based, which is how I fell into roller derby. I did it for four years, ended up Director of Officials for the UK Roller Derby Association for a while, headed some championship divisions. Eventually the combination of having a new baby to take care of and burn out from doing 25 games a year, caused me to burn out. I miss it though.

I'll say this; I've never had an injury more scary than a graze on skates. I've broken bones, sure, but off-skates, haha.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 20:32:01 »
I had my first pair of quad skates when I was 3, my first pair of inlines at 6, and by 16 I was doing competitive freestyle slalom on inlines.

That is cool!  During the lockdown I dug out my old quads (never did inline) and started fixing them (mostly swapping wheels and doing some cleaning). I'll need to replace a few things. A friend of mine used to be into doing disco and slalom with quads and he's now getting back into it so he convinced to get back my old quads. I wasn't into disco/slalom: I was doing "aggressive street quad" or whatever that is called: jumping big stairs, getting pulled by cars, bus, etc. (totally crazy teenagers). We'd break so many plastic parts that we forked out big bucks to get metallic ones instead. Here's a pic, with a pair of good old Airwalk shoes. I'm getting back into it with my kid (and for what it's worth I got back into street skating too and can still pull a few tricks).

240314-0
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 10:25:31 »
I had my first pair of quad skates when I was 3, my first pair of inlines at 6, and by 16 I was doing competitive freestyle slalom on inlines.

That is cool!  During the lockdown I dug out my old quads (never did inline) and started fixing them (mostly swapping wheels and doing some cleaning). I'll need to replace a few things. A friend of mine used to be into doing disco and slalom with quads and he's now getting back into it so he convinced to get back my old quads. I wasn't into disco/slalom: I was doing "aggressive street quad" or whatever that is called: jumping big stairs, getting pulled by cars, bus, etc. (totally crazy teenagers). We'd break so many plastic parts that we forked out big bucks to get metallic ones instead. Here's a pic, with a pair of good old Airwalk shoes. I'm getting back into it with my kid (and for what it's worth I got back into street skating too and can still pull a few tricks).

(Attachment Link)

Those are classic! Looks like they had a lot of action back in the day.

These are what I was using before I retired, I kinda wish I'd kept them. I don't know why the only picture I can find is of them dirty, either.

Offline Altis

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 22:45:47 »

What kind have you got?  :cool:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 09:08:51 »

It might be easier to start with what I don't have.

For handguns:

I lost count on 1911s, a lot. Mostly Colts and Rugers at this point. A Beretta 92s, a few single action import Jericho 941s, an HK USP .45, a S&W M&P 9, various 4" trade-in .357 S&W revolvers (a few of which are pinned and recessed), a 6" .357 Dan Wesson, a Taurus M85, a Ruger P89, an FN-manufactured Hi-Power, some surplus CZ-82s, some surplus Star BMs, a Surplus P64, a prewar Harrington and Richardson top break .22 revolver (I forget the model), a Taurus G2c, a Sig P238, a Sig P938, and a black powder/pre 1898 ("non-firearm", as the government classifies it) S&W 2nd model in pretty poor shape. I ... think that's it?

For long guns:

An original (though modified) Pre-1898/"non-firearm" Winchester 1897 shotgun (take-down model, one of the first likely made), a few sporterized U.S. M1917 rifles, a Finnish M39 with an original wartime stock, an M48a Mauser, a few AR-15s, and a Chinese SKS in a pear tree.

I think I got them all, not sure.

Your turn.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 09:10:33 by Maledicted »

Offline Altis

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:35:36 »

For handguns:

I lost count on 1911s, a lot. Mostly Colts and Rugers at this point. A Beretta 92s, a few single action import Jericho 941s, an HK USP .45, a S&W M&P 9, various 4" trade-in .357 S&W revolvers (a few of which are pinned and recessed), a 6" .357 Dan Wesson, a Taurus M85, a Ruger P89, an FN-manufactured Hi-Power, some surplus CZ-82s, some surplus Star BMs, a Surplus P64, a prewar Harrington and Richardson top break .22 revolver (I forget the model), a Taurus G2c, a Sig P238, a Sig P938, and a black powder/pre 1898 ("non-firearm", as the government classifies it) S&W 2nd model in pretty poor shape. I ... think that's it?

For long guns:

An original (though modified) Pre-1898/"non-firearm" Winchester 1897 shotgun (take-down model, one of the first likely made), a few sporterized U.S. M1917 rifles, a Finnish M39 with an original wartime stock, an M48a Mauser, a few AR-15s, and a Chinese SKS in a pear tree.

Your turn.

Nice diverse collection.

While it will no doubt change soon up here in Canuckistan due to some questionable legislation...

- M&P 2.0 9... super value
- Ruger SR-22... really comfortable and the girlfriend really likes using it
- M&P Sport II... also really good value, but as of last week, now can't use it for anything at all and future is questionable.
- Benelli Super Nova 12ga... my main skeet tool until I can afford an over/under
- Swedish Mauser M38... love the old wooden bolts. 6.5SE is a great round. Never use it so might trade it in
- Russian SKS with hardwood stock
- Various .22LR rifles... bolt, lever, semi. Honestly the most fun I have is with the old 22s

What an incredibly enjoyable hobby it has become. Very social. In fact, we have a solid Skeet team now at the university.

However, we'll see what's left by the time this current government is done. Most likely no pistols, AR15, or most semis.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:54:30 »

For handguns:

For long guns:

Your turn.

Nice diverse collection.

While it will no doubt change soon up here in Canuckistan due to some questionable legislation...

- M&P 2.0 9... super value
- Ruger SR-22... really comfortable and the girlfriend really likes using it
- M&P Sport II... also really good value, but as of last week, now can't use it for anything at all and future is questionable.
- Benelli Super Nova 12ga... my main skeet tool until I can afford an over/under
- Swedish Mauser M38... love the old wooden bolts. 6.5SE is a great round. Never use it so might trade it in
- Russian SKS with hardwood stock
- Various .22LR rifles... bolt, lever, semi. Honestly the most fun I have is with the old 22s

What an incredibly enjoyable hobby it has become. Very social. In fact, we have a solid Skeet team now at the university.

However, we'll see what's left by the time this current government is done. Most likely no pistols, AR15, or most semis.

Thank you very much, I have spent a good few years building it.

Agreed on the M&P 9, especially the trade-in ones. I'm not sure if those are available there or not. I got mine with night sights as a trade-in for just over $300 I think. Mine wasn't 2.0, of course, but I put an Apex trigger in it anyway. The stock 1.0 triggers are horrible. Nitrided stainless at prices at or below the competition using mostly blued carbon steel, etc, even at full retail value.

The SR-22 did look very tempting. I think I want a stainless MK IV myself, over the horizon.

I have seen some reviews and testing of the M&P ARs, great bang for your buck. I did hear about that. Is it really looking that dire? Trudeau will get his way?

I haven't heard anything bad about Benelli. My cousin's husband got a really nice Beretta over/under for a screaming deal a few years back. I would love to have an over/under if only just for the design being one of John Browning's and all. Interesting take for sure.

All indications are that 6-ish-mm is literally magical. It is a shame few major powers adopted such cartridges after the advent of smokeless powder.

Those Russians are becoming more and more valuable, more than good AKs used to be here in the states.

I need more .22s myself. I seem to have started in almost the opposite direction that you would normally think. My first handgun was a .45 ... my first rifle was a a .30-06.

I can tell you put a lot of careful thought into your purchases, just by your overall choices.

The Canadian people shouldn't allow that to happen. I wish you luck.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 16:45:21 »

It's hard to know what exactly to count since some things are inherited from my dad and split between me and my brother, so I consider those separate from my collection.

Pistols:
Beretta 92G, Walther P99 Gen 2 QA, Walther P99 Gen 1 AS, Walther P5 Compact, CZ-75BD, Kahr CW9, Springfield GI 1911A1, SIG P220, SIG P220 SAO, SIG P232, Beretta 85BB, Ruger LCP II, H&R 733.

The SIG P232 and P220 are my carry guns; although, I've recently put the P99 Gen 1 into the rotation. Beretta 92G with 20 round mag is my home defense gun, but I might switch to the P220 SAO since it has an integral picatinny rail as opposed to aftermarket bolt-on one for the Beretta (last time I shot it, the flashlight and rail came loose despite being screwed on as tightly as possible).

Long guns:
PTR-91, Steyr AUG A3 SA, Mossberg 500, and a few AR-15s currently in parts or not in final configuration.

I'd like to get a CZ Bren 2 or a precision rifle next, but probably won't buy anything for a while.

Offline Altis

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:38:16 »
Thank you very much, I have spent a good few years building it.

Agreed on the M&P 9, especially the trade-in ones. I'm not sure if those are available there or not. I got mine with night sights as a trade-in for just over $300 I think. Mine wasn't 2.0, of course, but I put an Apex trigger in it anyway. The stock 1.0 triggers are horrible. Nitrided stainless at prices at or below the competition using mostly blued carbon steel, etc, even at full retail value.

The SR-22 did look very tempting. I think I want a stainless MK IV myself, over the horizon.

I have seen some reviews and testing of the M&P ARs, great bang for your buck. I did hear about that. Is it really looking that dire? Trudeau will get his way?

I haven't heard anything bad about Benelli. My cousin's husband got a really nice Beretta over/under for a screaming deal a few years back. I would love to have an over/under if only just for the design being one of John Browning's and all. Interesting take for sure.

All indications are that 6-ish-mm is literally magical. It is a shame few major powers adopted such cartridges after the advent of smokeless powder.

Those Russians are becoming more and more valuable, more than good AKs used to be here in the states.

I need more .22s myself. I seem to have started in almost the opposite direction that you would normally think. My first handgun was a .45 ... my first rifle was a a .30-06.

I can tell you put a lot of careful thought into your purchases, just by your overall choices.

The Canadian people shouldn't allow that to happen. I wish you luck.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'd love to have night sights on the M&P.. will pick some up if we get to keep the pistols.

There's definitely quite a ton of SKS's in Canada. Seems we've been importing them for quite a while, mostly from Russia and China. I love the classics and it's hard to beat for around $200! They even come with a free kg of cosmoline!  :thumb:

Unfortunately, the AR10/15 is among 1500 rifles that are prohibited explicitly, as well as some that are prohibited by characteristics. Went into effect instantly last week with only days notice by a special procedure that bypasses parliament. Can't sell them, take them anywhere, or fire them at all... not sure what will happen but I suspect they'll be removed. Pistols are next on the chopping block, sadly. I don't want to derail the thread so I suppose I'll leave it at that.

I wish I had discovered the shooting sports sooner. Have had such a great time bringing all kinds of people out to the range, or for some solo time in the fresh air. There's something in it for everyone to enjoy.

I definitely recommend more 22s. I'm a big fan of the Marlin and Savage rimfire rifles. Just got a Henry lever action 22 -- easy to shoot, built beautifully in America, and even feeds 22 shorts. Love it!

Offline Altis

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 23:41:49 »
It's hard to know what exactly to count since some things are inherited from my dad and split between me and my brother, so I consider those separate from my collection.

Pistols:
Beretta 92G, Walther P99 Gen 2 QA, Walther P99 Gen 1 AS, Walther P5 Compact, CZ-75BD, Kahr CW9, Springfield GI 1911A1, SIG P220, SIG P220 SAO, SIG P232, Beretta 85BB, Ruger LCP II, H&R 733.

The SIG P232 and P220 are my carry guns; although, I've recently put the P99 Gen 1 into the rotation. Beretta 92G with 20 round mag is my home defense gun, but I might switch to the P220 SAO since it has an integral picatinny rail as opposed to aftermarket bolt-on one for the Beretta (last time I shot it, the flashlight and rail came loose despite being screwed on as tightly as possible).

Long guns:
PTR-91, Steyr AUG A3 SA, Mossberg 500, and a few AR-15s currently in parts or not in final configuration.

I'd like to get a CZ Bren 2 or a precision rifle next, but probably won't buy anything for a while.

Quite the collection. Can't imagine the Aug being all too common!

Always loved the look of the 92. I'm sure the rail only came loose because of some extra spicy +P+ rounds.  :cool:

Offline Kavik

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:53:59 »
Quite the collection. Can't imagine the Aug being all too common!

Always loved the look of the 92. I'm sure the rail only came loose because of some extra spicy +P+ rounds.  :cool:

The AUG was one of my dream guns. I paid way too much for it because I waffled on buying one when they were reintroduced to the US market, and then the panic of 2013 happened.

The 92 is definitely a looker. The grip is a bit wide, and the trigger is a tad heavy, but it's a very good shooter.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:51:48 »
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'd love to have night sights on the M&P.. will pick some up if we get to keep the pistols.

Of course, any time. I very much hope that you do.

There's definitely quite a ton of SKS's in Canada. Seems we've been importing them for quite a while, mostly from Russia and China. I love the classics and it's hard to beat for around $200! They even come with a free kg of cosmoline!  :thumb:

Right, I forget that your import restrictions are in many ways less extreme there. I don't think that we can import anything directly from China or Russia anymore, and there are strange rules about how long something needs to be in another country before it can be imported at all if it originated from those countries, so even Chinese SKS rifles are not imported in the numbers that they used to be, and the Russians haven't been coming in at all for some time. Fine by me, the Chinese ones are just as good, other than cosmetics. It is the Yugo ones that shouldn't be worth anything.

Unfortunately, the AR10/15 is among 1500 rifles that are prohibited explicitly, as well as some that are prohibited by characteristics. Went into effect instantly last week with only days notice by a special procedure that bypasses parliament. Can't sell them, take them anywhere, or fire them at all... not sure what will happen but I suspect they'll be removed. Pistols are next on the chopping block, sadly. I don't want to derail the thread so I suppose I'll leave it at that.

A special procedure that bypasses parliament? What's the point of having a parliament? I will reserve my very strong opinions on this for private messages, if you would like to have them. A lot of people down here will be with you in spirit through this. I hope what you fear does not come to pass.

I wish I had discovered the shooting sports sooner. Have had such a great time bringing all kinds of people out to the range, or for some solo time in the fresh air. There's something in it for everyone to enjoy.

And that's what we need more of. Everyone should be acquainted with firearms and know how they work, if only to be able to know when/if there's a problem when some nutcase goes on a rampage, and take advantage of it and/or render a firearm safe if it is ever literally just left uncontrolled somewhere, in those situations and others. It seems to me that it does wonders to de-stigmatize them as well if somebody has actually gone to a range, learned the basics of firearms safety, and put some down the tube.

I definitely recommend more 22s. I'm a big fan of the Marlin and Savage rimfire rifles. Just got a Henry lever action 22 -- easy to shoot, built beautifully in America, and even feeds 22 shorts. Love it!

One of those Henrys would be really fun for plinking. Are they making some in the U.S. again, or is it very old? I couldn't have sworn that Henry has been outsourcing for years, but I don't follow them much. I know I would certainly like an old Winchester, Marlin, etc, lever gun of some kind. Savage makes some great guns at great prices. For a .22 rifle, I was thinking something like a CZ 457 with a Walnut stock.

That's cool. I wish our family had anything worth inheriting. The fact that we do not is probably part of the reason I like old things so much. Now I have plenty of guns worth handing down, but doubt I'll ever have anybody to hand them to other than my nephew. lol

Pistols:

That's a nice collection of Walthers and Sigs. No PPK? I want one of those some day. I almost picked up one of those P232s once. I probably should have. I see that Mishako has a video on the P5, and it looks awesome. I'll have to see it. Do you carry the LCP II at all as well? How do you like that H&R 733? I have the H&R 999 Sportsman, now that I check again.

What's the P220 chambered in? My home defense gun is the M&P 9 with a TLR-1 HL on the rail. I haven't even seen bolt-on rails for Berettas.

Long guns:

I would love both a PTR-91 and AUG, although I know I would be unlikely to use them for much other than drooling over. Can't go wrong with Mossberg.

I don't know much about the Bren 2 offhand, though I may have seen some videos. I should see some more. CZ puts a lot of thought into their designs, and I've got a little Czech in me.

The 92 is definitely a looker. The grip is a bit wide, and the trigger is a tad heavy, but it's a very good shooter.

I never liked the aesthetics much of the 92, although it has grown on me, and some of the lines are nice, like how the front of the slide has those concave cuts on it. I like their heft, and if my 92s is any indication of the modern ones, the slides and triggers are like glass. Disassembly is cake as well. I hate those slide-mounted decockers/safeties. I think if I shot them a lot, I would get one of the Taurus clones with the old frame-mounted safety. The trigger's certainly nice enough to go DAO with though as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2020, 22:39:02 by Maledicted »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 21:00:17 »
I've always wanted one of these for home defense. CZ Scorpion Evo 3
241696-0

And a Dragunov 'cause they look pretty. The P90 is very cool, but without a box mag and bullpup stock it's pointless to own.

Offline fliz

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 21:38:27 »
Pizza making, espresso pulling and roasting, and audiophile gear

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 22:58:20 »
I've always wanted one of these for home defense. CZ Scorpion Evo 3

And a Dragunov 'cause they look pretty. The P90 is very cool, but without a box mag and bullpup stock it's pointless to own.

Those new Scorpions are great. For PCCs, I would probably want to SBR one of the newly imported semi auto MP5s myself, since they're amongst the softest shooting 9mm SMGs ever designed, partly due to having a locked breech. Otherwise I would want something in .45, and a suppressor for it, though I don't know if a locked breech PCC in .45 with a threaded barrel is even commercially available.

Dragunovs are awesome, even if they're not particularly accurate. Good luck getting one though, those things aren't cheap. Is there some difference in stock between the original P90 and PS90? I hadn't heard of one, and wouldn't see any need for one. Because of arbitrary U.S. law, the important thing is the barrel length, so the PS90 has a stupidly long barrel for compliance without registering it as an SBR. It does have a box magazine, just not a traditional one. Most of the weird bits are part of the feed system in the gun. I think the magazine may be the best part of that design. They're really cool, but they're still just another blowback bullpup chambered in an expensive meme cartridge though.

If you like bullpups, you should look at some of the cool stocks a few manufacturers make for SKS rifles, and the Desert Tech MDR (probably the most practical bullpup on the market). The FAMAS, of all things, is even better, but those are unobtainium in the U.S.