Author Topic: [IC] Aluminum ErgoDox Case  (Read 23488 times)

Offline twohands

[IC] Aluminum ErgoDox Case
« on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 00:13:03 »
Hi - long time lurker, and long time ergo user here. I'm starting this thread to fill what I thought was an obvious missing niche: a beautiful, sleek ErgoDox case. There are other ICs like this I've managed to find but neither are exactly what I wanted (Uni66 - not columnar, Bireme - great but appears incomplete and not enough thumb buttons). I'm appealing to the popularity of ErgoDox in the ergo subcommunity to design and release a case compatible with the standard design. This is also a way for me to gauge interest and learn how to do GBs - if not enough interest, I'll just go back to making customs for personal use only.

Main idea:
  • CNC Aluminum case with colored finish, opting for a modern style.
  • Tenting solution - this will attach to or replace bottom of case.
  • Brass/Aluminum/Steel plates.
  • Compatible with stock ErgoDox layout - plates, shape, electronics.

Details:
  • Plates compatible with Cherry switches.
  • Case uses USB and TRRS connectors.
  • Likely top-mount but still working this out.
  • Aiming to have this be the "luxury" option for ergo, so exploring the idea of brass weight blocks.
  • Likely no LED lighting or even indicator lights.
  • Sorry, this is a wired board for now.

As stated, I'm aiming to keep it simple and make it compatible as much as possible with ErgoDox. The reason is to de-scope and maximize likelihood of completing (or definitively killing) this project in a timely manner.

If you're an ErgoDox user looking for an upgrade, please fill out https://forms.gle/89aJT5xPVnNQe18A8

Thanks for reading!

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
Re: [IC] Aluminum ErgoDox Case
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 00:14:50 »
Could you at least have renders before releasing an ic?
LCK75 so lit

Offline twohands

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 00:18:47 »

I can do that. Should I close thread for now or just attach it when I have it rendered?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 00:20:30 »

I can do that. Should I close thread for now or just attach it when I have it rendered?

attach when done

this is something a lot of people have wanted for a while
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 01:39:19 »
I was looking for this for awhile before i finally settled on Sol 2.
Bireme was my favorite so far and I actually like the less thumb button, however since it seems the development will still take awhile I didn't choose it.
I'm not a fan of TRRS connector, USB-C to USB-C would be better personally.
Also, hopefully it's high profile, never a big fan of common sandwich low profile case for split keyboards.

Other than that, I think I'd be able to comment more once you have render.

Offline msting

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 17:16:42 »
I'll definitely fill out the form! I've got 2 Ergodox EZ's and I LOVE them, but really have never been crazy about the plastic cases (horrible sound) and have thought about exploring an anodized aluminum option as well.  I don't know why ZSA hasn't done this. I think there's probably 1000's of Ergodox EZ's in the wild at this point plus all the other Ergo variants around. Who wants to sweet talk Salvun?   ;D

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 23:13:09 »
Ne updates avail?
LCK75 so lit

Offline duckadence

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:07:54 »
Have my eye on a Hot-Dox kit (ergodox with kaihl hotswap) and if this will support it, looks like a must for me.

Offline twohands

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 15:21:00 »
Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to make it compatible with HotDox. However I'll look into seeing if there's a way to get it compatible with extenders (it looks like HotDox PCB is smaller than stock ErgoDox). I don't own a HotDox and it looks sold out so I'll have to figure out how to research this. If anyone has details on this PCB please PM me! No promises though - for now please expect that isn't an option :(

Related to HotDox question, there was an earlier question about TRRS vs. USB - I am going with TRRS simply because that's what I expect majority of people to have. I'll post updates if there's positive developments on this though!

Ne updates avail?

Thanks for the interest and the survey feedback, folks! Here's a quick update.

I have a draft of model done, and expect to be able to show some renders next week. Couple of points of indecision that I'll try get through quickly:
 - I can either release initial renders without tenting option, or only release rough concepts of the tent, as I have two designs in mind. Perhaps I should release both and add a question on survey form as to preference.
 - People appear pretty split about brass blocks, so I ended up backtracking a bit on the design. I'm probably going to show initial renders without blocks for now, but I'm reaching out to see what the shop can do w.r.t. having two similar but different design (one is almost an early-stopped version of other).

Offline hcoopos

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 16:42:01 »
I would really love this as an upgrade to my Ergodox!
Regarding the brass blocks, I personally don't care, but answered "no" as I thought it would bring the costs down.

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 21:33:47 »
Related to HotDox question, there was an earlier question about TRRS vs. USB - I am going with TRRS simply because that's what I expect majority of people to have. I'll post updates if there's positive developments on this though!
i mentioned about the cable previously. I don't mind you chose TRRS, but talking in general, I don't think normally people have too many TRRS cable? since you said majority of people to have.
unless they already have split kb before and/or bought many headphone before with detachable cable i guess?
I mean, I know I don't have a TRRS cable at home and I think these days it's easier to find a simple usb-c to usb-c cable.
I might be wrong though.

either way, like i said, it's completely up to you about choosing the cable and not trying to complain at all.

Offline twohands

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 00:32:49 »

i mentioned about the cable previously. I don't mind you chose TRRS, but talking in general, I don't think normally people have too many TRRS cable? since you said majority of people to have.
unless they already have split kb before and/or bought many headphone before with detachable cable i guess?
I mean, I know I don't have a TRRS cable at home and I think these days it's easier to find a simple usb-c to usb-c cable.
I might be wrong though.

either way, like i said, it's completely up to you about choosing the cable and not trying to complain at all.

I just meant most ErgoDox owners have TRRS cables, since that's what's recommended on ergodox.io, and it's what works on stock ErgoDox PCBs. I agree with you though - TRRS cables aren't ideal. But alas, for the sake of getting this off the ground and for the sake of compatibility I've decided to make it TRRS.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2020, 00:59:37 by twohands »

Offline twohands

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 00:55:54 »
Quick Update

I did some more work to get dimensions right and got some basic renders so people can see what I'm starting with. Please bear with the quality. Few things to note:

• Tenting isn't shown, but will be available - I'll work on getting options for people to vote on.
  • I haven't shown the bottom side because I haven't decided on screws yet. One thing I'm sure is that it won't be visible up top though.
  • I've shown rendered the top/bottom with two different finishes to highlight the seam.

Note: on the right-piece, there must be a surface-visible hole (roughly size of paperclip) - this is for re-flashing the firmware. As I'd like to minimize size of this hole, the appearance will depend on capabilities of the factory - so keep an eye out for prototype photos for how it actually looks.

These renders are simple model renders and quite clearly not the best this board has ever seen. I'll work on producing visually nice renders (I'm not great at realistic renders, so would appreciate any tips), but hopefully this gives people an idea of what I'm trying to do. Also if anyone knows how to render with key switches/caps, would appreciate a tip - otherwise I'll place and render them manually at some point.

Additional Details

In the course of measuring this out, I realized that for the top-mount option the build order must be different from what people are used to. Because of the mounted electronics, the plate outline necessarily must be smaller than PCB outline. So the build will happen like this:
  • Plate is mounted to top (only contact points are the screw brackets).
  • A few switches are inserted into plate.
  • Non-switch electronics are soldered to PCB (separate still from plate).
  • PCB is affixed to the switches on plate. At this point the plate can no longer be removed from top without removing (and desoldering) PCB.
  • Rest of switches are installed, and all the switches are soldered.
  • Bottom is installed, via screws, to top

The Ergodox PCB does allow bottom-mounted electronics, but this would increase height of the keyboard and make the port locations quite ugly, so I opted for this approach. Please let me know if this may be deal breaker for anyone!

Currently the pieces will be roughly half kg per half, totally 1kg for the pair. Not confident that will yield the best acoustics, but I have to leave possible weight designs for after decision about tenting, which is more crucial in my mind.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2020, 01:02:13 by twohands »

Offline hcoopos

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 01:49:29 »
Looks awesome! Would love to have lighting and something like the EZ's tenting.

I wonder if you could support stabilizers on the 2u keys; since you seem to be going for the stock Ergodox PCB, plate mount looks like the only option. Not opposed to the build order.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 02:02:50 »
I really like the design. Tenting is also nice.
So looking forward to join the GB, in order to get a 3rd ErgoDox!

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 04:00:47 »
I'm following this as well, would be keen for an alternative enclosure for my Ergodox!

Offline syke

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:58:54 »
following

Offline twohands

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 16:22:18 »
Looks awesome! Would love to have lighting and something like the EZ's tenting.

I wonder if you could support stabilizers on the 2u keys; since you seem to be going for the stock Ergodox PCB, plate mount looks like the only option. Not opposed to the build order.

I really enjoy the EZ's tenting too. To me there's two disadvantages: it doesn't quite look right to me on an all alu body (I'll play around with it once I get prototypes though) and the max tent angle is a bit modest (I personally use > 10 degrees). Anything I come up with will be different tent piece per angle preference, so from that perspective the EZ design is superior. It is a very smart design though, so definitely still on the list of options to try out!

Yes, will support plate mount stabilizers on the 2u!

What kind of lighting are you interested in? Through key lighting? I don't think there's anything stopping you. To be honest I've never been interested in keyboard lighting myself, so I wouldn't trust me to design case lighting from scratch, but I'm happy to have that conversation if you can tell me your thoughts.

Also, to answer an earlier question - the HotDox PCB will likely not fit. The place where the MCU looks to be mounted is going to be a tight squeeze as I have the top coming down about 3mm (leaving about 2mm clearance for top-mounted electronics). Again, I can't find any measurements online for that PCB so if anyone is willing to measure it I can confirm this or see if I can tweak something to accommodate.

Offline hcoopos

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 19:18:26 »
Tenting: Wonder if simply elongating the EZ's legs would allow for more angles. Folding them up and portability might be a problem though.

Stabilizers: Nice, thanks!

Lighting: Indicator LEDs would be nice, and I'm not sure if case lighting (like the EZ Shine?) would work well with this case. Per-key lighting would also be nice; whether if it would be through-hole LEDs as you suggested or RGB would be up for discussion (I like both). It doesn't look like the Ergodox PCB has any LED support, looking at the PCB layout. Anyways, lighting isn't a huge deal-breaker

Hot Dox: It looks like their PCB does not have the large top bezel like the Ergodox does, so a case designed for the Ergodox PCB won't fit a Hot Dox PCB without some I/O modifications. That being said, I do kinda wish the Ergodox was thinner along the top...

Offline twohands

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 21:28:44 »
I thought a bit more about the EZ tenting. I'm not really interested in manufacturing longer EZ legs. The design probably legally their IP; even if not, I think it's creative/innovative enough that we shouldn't encroach on cloning. Another reason is I don't think it quite fits the aesthetic I'm going for.

I also do wish Ergodox was thinner up top too. I think if this works well I can explore a second revision with a less constrained design.

Offline twohands

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 21:43:26 »
Quick Update

I have fleshed out the dimensioning a bit more, and have one version of the tenting I quite like. I'm still exploring a swappable/non-screwed-in tent, but I'll do that in parallel with proceeding with the current design.

Brass weights didn't seem popular enough. I dropped it in the current design. It may play a part in the swappable design though.

The next step for me is to get some PCBs and other small parts shipped along with a printed prototype. The challenge is I'm moving in the next few weeks, and with the turnaround on some of these things I cannot have them ship it until I confirm my next address. I may be able to make progress on an alternate tenting scheme all the while but it may depend on some of the smaller parts. Aside from that there will be no progress/updates for about a month from now - sorry!

Current Candidate
These are some renders with the proposed tenting. Please have a quick look and give some feedback! Few notes:
 - Tents can be printed at various angles (I'll release some models when this is all done).
 - I'll offer alu milled versions (probably at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 degrees depending on demand).
 - The ones below are 15 degrees.
 - They are screwed in at the bottom, and require additional 4 bumpons (so the final will look like 8 bumpons with tent attached).
 - In non-tented mode, there will be 4 screw holes in the bottom of the main case. They can  be plugged in with plastic caps, but in non-tented mode they'll be a visual blemish.

The primary challenge is that there's really no prior art on tenting schemes that both look good on a heavier metal case and aren't just built into the main body bottom. There's also a less bulky design possible that I'm exploring but it involves unscrewing the case bottom from the top in order to change angles. Anyway the point here is that there's more work to be here!

Note: the screw positions on the tents aren't finalized - the lower screw locations will move a bit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 June 2020, 21:45:24 by twohands »

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 23:46:27 »
Quick Update

I have fleshed out the dimensioning a bit more, and have one version of the tenting I quite like. I'm still exploring a swappable/non-screwed-in tent, but I'll do that in parallel with proceeding with the current design.

Brass weights didn't seem popular enough. I dropped it in the current design. It may play a part in the swappable design though.

The next step for me is to get some PCBs and other small parts shipped along with a printed prototype. The challenge is I'm moving in the next few weeks, and with the turnaround on some of these things I cannot have them ship it until I confirm my next address. I may be able to make progress on an alternate tenting scheme all the while but it may depend on some of the smaller parts. Aside from that there will be no progress/updates for about a month from now - sorry!

Current Candidate
These are some renders with the proposed tenting. Please have a quick look and give some feedback! Few notes:
 - Tents can be printed at various angles (I'll release some models when this is all done).
 - I'll offer alu milled versions (probably at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 degrees depending on demand).
 - The ones below are 15 degrees.
 - They are screwed in at the bottom, and require additional 4 bumpons (so the final will look like 8 bumpons with tent attached).
 - In non-tented mode, there will be 4 screw holes in the bottom of the main case. They can  be plugged in with plastic caps, but in non-tented mode they'll be a visual blemish.

The primary challenge is that there's really no prior art on tenting schemes that both look good on a heavier metal case and aren't just built into the main body bottom. There's also a less bulky design possible that I'm exploring but it involves unscrewing the case bottom from the top in order to change angles. Anyway the point here is that there's more work to be here!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Note: the screw positions on the tents aren't finalized - the lower screw locations will move a bit.
I haven’t seen this take on tenting yet.

It will affect portability, as I think you alluded to. But your approach is more in line with “custom” keyboards, where the elevation angle is set by the designer.

With conventional custom boards, if you like the design of Duck boards like the Octagon, your wrists will have to play along. Offering more than one base “foot section” (I prefer just the foot section being changeable, not the whole keyboard bottom) which can be screwed on is a good compromise with the “ergo” approach, which values customisability more.

And you can even add optional brass weights in the foot section rather than the keyboard.  That might simplify the design of he keyboard itself, I guess.

I like it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 23:47:49 »
I must say if I wanted a portable Ergodox, a plastic EZ is more portable than an alu custom anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline syke

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 13:42:06 »
I like it! I don't own an Ergodox, but I am very much willing to have one if this comes to fruition.

The tenting option, nice! Much better than the having poles. I really dig the different angles available. Hopefully there will be a wrist rest option as well.

One question, would the usb input be on the left or right segment of the keyboard? Would be nice to have on the left for us FPS gamers.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 15:07:01 »
I also like your design very much. My two ErgoDox board do not have tenting which I miss some times. Your solution seems nice.
Additionally I would like to have the aluminum case since I like hearty setups.
In general I do not think the the ErgoDox is a travel board, it is just too big.

Really looking forward to your case and the project.

Offline meanie

• trouble club
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 17:48:24 »
Hey this looks great! I would suggest editing your renders into the original post (if possible) since I'd think a lot of people won't make it far down enough to see if you have them.

Offline twohands

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 08:45:42 »
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! I will edit the OP when the design is somewhat finalized.

Offline ephemeral_gibbon

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 08:37:59 »
This looks awesome and I'll definitely be interested if it goes ahead.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 June 2020, 19:35:09 by ephemeral_gibbon »

Offline PsiBorrg

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 13:32:44 »
First off, Well Done So Far! it is looking beautiful.

I have two comments regarding my current understanding of high-end keyboards:
1. Can it be designed to allow adding stabilizers to the four 2.25 thumb keys? (feature-creep, but will make using it so much better.)
2. The tenting option slightly worries me because of sound. I am not an engineer, but it seems it might amplify the keyboard's sounds, being a large hollowed out area.

Keep up the great work! I'm excited to get my hands on one of these!

Offline riterdando

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 01:15:29 »
Any news on this.
I really would like to have it.

Offline riterdando

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 07:59:58 »

Offline aWarmWalrus

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 16:53:25 »
I just responded to the IC form. I would be 110% in on this if it ever comes to fruition!

Offline riterdando

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 01:41:15 »
Looks like this is dead.
I really like the idea, but it looks like I have to wait for another metal ErgoDox case.

Offline twohands

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 19:01:40 »
Updates
First a word of apology for the lack of updates. It's been an... interesting... few months, mostly for personal reasons. I don't want to give excuses, so I won't go into it. But one big thing is I moved (at the height of pandemic actually :D ).

Second, some overall color on the status of this. I've continued to actively work on this whenever I can find time, it's just been slower than I'd like. For a couple of reasons, I've both lost access to a physical prototype shop and have to find new supplier(s) for this project, and it's been a slow burn of reaching out so far (finding reliable suppliers is an investment of both time and money). Last I checked the IC form barely had double digit hits, so I've been devoting more resources to getting design finalized and single set produced and less than in targeting reaching GB.

However, good news is (I just checked), there does seem to be enough interest in the IC form that it'd meet volume (depending on the supplier), especially if I produced onshore. So I feel much better about putting real money into developing the GB  :D . To that end, let me outline my plan:

• Finalize design. Remaining work include - finalize indicators, fix all fit issues and clean up tolerances, acoustic testing and design. Acoustic testing because there's no prior art on keyboards with raised base.
  • Decide on supply chain given the IC volume. Remaining work include - almost everything: I have a short list already, but I'm still at quotes and MOQs stage, and getting pre-production samples made.
  • Decide on payment, packaging, and shipping. This is mostly a research thing as I've never run a GB before - perhaps people can comment if you have experience.
  • Once I've got the above in good order, refresh the IC post: get good renders, take nice photos of the preproduction samples, maybe record a typing clip, and spread the word a bit. Also, decide with interested folks what options to offer (colors, plate material, tent options) and estimate price.
  • Set up the the GB.

So it's still quite a bit of work remaining! But to prove I'm not slacking, I'll post a couple of my WIP photos (these are printed only)

These are from different versions of the design, but they show different tent heights and stabilizers for the plate.

Clarifications
I just want to make clear since people were perhaps confused by IC. What this kit will definitely include is:

• Colored aluminum case
  • Aluminum (optional extra brass) plate
  • Some form of optional tenting.

If you have an existing Ergodox (any using the official https://www.ergodox.io PCB), you should be able to desolder and just install into new case. I believe this list is just Ergodox EZ or self assembled. If in doubt, ask on this thread and I can help find out.

If you don't have an existing Ergodox or would rather make a new one, simply order any official Ergodox PCB and electronics. Fully soldered I think these go for ~$100 from vendors. It's possible I can help organize a group order if there's enough interest.

This will not work with Hotdox, Infinity, Redox, or any non-official or modified Ergodox PCB. Sorry :(

Only caveat is - Ergodox EZ ships with its own cables, which sometimes are 90 degree connectors. This case requires straight connectors - they go for ~$10 off Amazon.

First off, Well Done So Far! it is looking beautiful.

I have two comments regarding my current understanding of high-end keyboards:
1. Can it be designed to allow adding stabilizers to the four 2.25 thumb keys? (feature-creep, but will make using it so much better.)
2. The tenting option slightly worries me because of sound. I am not an engineer, but it seems it might amplify the keyboard's sounds, being a large hollowed out area.

Keep up the great work! I'm excited to get my hands on one of these!

Thank you very much for the kind words! I hope I can get these made and more people can be interested in Ergo :D

• Yes! In fact if you look above a PCB mount stab is installed. Btw it's 2U not 2.25 :D
  • Yes! You are right - I wish I had seen your post sooner. I experienced this same problem and I'm trying to address it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2021, 23:00:27 by twohands »

Offline Arch4Life

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 21:17:31 »
very nice work man, looking forward to GB start

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline twohands

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 15:14:22 »
Update

Well things have been moving slow, but time for a progress report. Here are photos of some prototypes I've had made. These won't be final colors - the colors shown are just part of our process.

Dark/Tropical Green

Rose Gold (yes I know this just looks like pink, but alas that's anodization for you).

I have basically finalized design. Remaining is acoustic testing and clean up tolerances a bit more.
I would say I'm 80% finalized with supply chain. More samples will be shipped in in the coming weeks and at that point I should have the info I need from that perspective.

Next up
Continue with the plan outlined above - basically keep working on the solidifying the design and supplier. And work on things like computer renders. Once I have renders, I should be able to post a new [IC] thread and form to gather final feedback.

Thanks all for sticking with me so far. I know it's been slow, but at this point I can promise to make it to GB stage (with low MOQ). And it will be a keyboard that will be my personal daily driver and something I can be proud to deliver.

Offline Riba

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 11:43:32 »
Looking good! Thanks for sticking with it, decent Ergodox cases are not lacking, they are nonexistent. Green looks really good, hopefully it will make it as an option for GB, but at this point I'd take any colour - even that pink one. ;)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 13:04:55 »
been hunting for something like this for a while, awaiting gb
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline riterdando

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 16:23:25 »
Really like the case and especially the green color.
Good work!

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 19:18:14 »
The green really does look amazing! I've been looking for a good premium ErgoDox case and I've been following this thread for a while. I'm really excited to pick at least one of these up when it goes live.

Offline twohands

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 09:09:08 »
Appreciate all the encouragement and the patience!

Offline JulianFR

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 12:17:38 »
[...] Thanks for sticking with it, decent Ergodox cases are not lacking, they are nonexistent. [...]

I believe this quote is enough for anybody to understand how huge my interest in this project is.

The design is great with a nice premium feeling to it, even the visible hole for re-flashing the firmware looks good too. Thank you so much for sticking with the original Ergodox PCB and TRRS cable set-up, it's a wise choice to gather the most interested people. I hope you'll make available the "standard" Apple-like clear aluminum anodization as well.

Nevertheless, I'm a little bit skeptical about the actual tenting system, I'm sure that I'll amplify drastically the keyboard sound. Why wouldn't you go for a simple full block of aluminum? It will reduce the number of milling operations - therefore the cost, add some weight and you could even use it for a dedicated brass weight blocks system like you initially wanted to include.

Once this initial IC/GB is completely done I believe you could aim for a full Kickstarter/IndieGogo campaign (including the full Ergodox building kit).
Because of the worldwide pandemic, people are now focusing a lot more on there their set-up in order to work remotely so I'm sure you'll have great success.

Thanks again for all your time and effort in making such a needed product. I can't wait to upgrade my 'dox !
ErgoDox - Blank DSA caps - MX Clear sw (ergo-clear soon) - krytox/victorinox lub

Offline Mwbowman

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 09:36:36 »
Will there be a wrist rest option that covers the tenting solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TK0

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 14:23:12 »
Wow, how have I missed this before? We are in a terrible need for a premium ergodox case. For sure I'll grab at least one, when available.

Thanks for working in this project for so long!

Offline twohands

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 12:24:20 »
Will there be a wrist rest option that covers the tenting solution?

Not in the initial GB. The wrist rest design I wanted to get for myself requires introducing a new supplier, so I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get to it even after GB. I understand this is important though, so I'll explore some options - let me know if you have thoughts on this.

I believe this quote is enough for anybody to understand how huge my interest in this project is.

The design is great with a nice premium feeling to it, even the visible hole for re-flashing the firmware looks good too. Thank you so much for sticking with the original Ergodox PCB and TRRS cable set-up, it's a wise choice to gather the most interested people. I hope you'll make available the "standard" Apple-like clear aluminum anodization as well.

Nevertheless, I'm a little bit skeptical about the actual tenting system, I'm sure that I'll amplify drastically the keyboard sound. Why wouldn't you go for a simple full block of aluminum? It will reduce the number of milling operations - therefore the cost, add some weight and you could even use it for a dedicated brass weight blocks system like you initially wanted to include.

Once this initial IC/GB is completely done I believe you could aim for a full Kickstarter/IndieGogo campaign (including the full Ergodox building kit).
Because of the worldwide pandemic, people are now focusing a lot more on there their set-up in order to work remotely so I'm sure you'll have great success.

Thanks again for all your time and effort in making such a needed product. I can't wait to upgrade my 'dox !

Really appreciate the kind words! Yes the feedback here really helped solidify the decision to go with stock Ergodox. I've been using a prototype and I also appreciate that the layout is super familiar to what I'm used to.

On color options - I am 99% sure to be making an ecoat white option (no extra charge) because that's what I'll be using. I heard people liked the gunmetal green so that'll likely be an option. I probably have room for one more - but the two anodize options will be voted on from a small set. Keep in mind that Apple actually has multiple "aluminum grey" options - I don't know if they're just a clear coat over raw Alu, what type of ano, and if there's any dye used. I can try playing around with a clear ano over raw Alu and see how closely it matches though.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but honestly I'm not planning to go kickstarter on this - there simply isn't demand for it. I'd rather make the initial set of GB buyers happy. There may be potential for R2 but that'll likely be a small GB again given how niche this form factor is.

Wow, how have I missed this before? We are in a terrible need for a premium ergodox case. For sure I'll grab at least one, when available.

Thanks for working in this project for so long!

Thank you! Currently I have a few prototypes that I'm working with manufacturers to tweak minor issues. It's very close to reaching GB stage - probably in July I can have GB up!

Offline Mwbowman

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 12:46:25 »
[mention]twohands [/mention]

Realistically not sure if i would buy this with such drastic tenting without a wrist rest option. Although i would hate to miss out and i absolutely love the design. It’s really great to see someone working on a niche project to serve an UNDERserved part of the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ephemeral_gibbon

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 17:55:59 »
For the wrist rest it's not too hard to make a wooden one yourself. There are also plenty of existing ergodox wrist rests that will work well with the lower angle tenting options so I don't see it as a major issue.  It's the advantage of going with an existing form factor like the ergodox

Offline avocadosec

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 20:16:25 »
 :) This looks exciting! IC form done!

Offline noah1001

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 23:20:37 »
I already summitted the form 👍🏻

Offline hockysa

• ergo life
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 06:05:58 »
this looks freakin amazing!!

You mention cleaning up tolerances could that possibly also include shaving down the enclosing sidewall thickness?

Also curious question is there a light path for LEDs?

Update

Well things have been moving slow, but time for a progress report. Here are photos of some prototypes I've had made. These won't be final colors - the colors shown are just part of our process.

Dark/Tropical Green
Show Image

Rose Gold (yes I know this just looks like pink, but alas that's anodization for you).
Show Image

I have basically finalized design. Remaining is acoustic testing and clean up tolerances a bit more.
I would say I'm 80% finalized with supply chain. More samples will be shipped in in the coming weeks and at that point I should have the info I need from that perspective.

Next up
Continue with the plan outlined above - basically keep working on the solidifying the design and supplier. And work on things like computer renders. Once I have renders, I should be able to post a new [IC] thread and form to gather final feedback.

Thanks all for sticking with me so far. I know it's been slow, but at this point I can promise to make it to GB stage (with low MOQ). And it will be a keyboard that will be my personal daily driver and something I can be proud to deliver.